Which house system is right for you? Any precise way to "know"?

JUPITERASC

So then dr farr is advocating the equal house system since that is exactly what the equal house system is...In the equal my mars is in the 5th house (not the sixth house) and my uranus is conjunct moon and venus in the 7th house and not the 8th house.
Not exactly retinoid, dr. farr is not advocating the equal house system at all! Read the post carefully.

dr. farr says (quote)
"But now notice this: in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree 'borders' of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!"

(a) The BORDERS OF WHOLE SIGN HOUSES ARE ALL AT 0[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º
(b) AND IN ADDITION, [/FONT]
whole sign houses have sensitive points that seem very similar to Equal house BUT those sensitive points are CONTAINED WITHIN each whole sign house.

dr. farr says (quote)
"In whole sign, the 'cusp' retained its original meaning, not as a 'border' but rather as A POINT"

so, using whole sign as originally used, then THE ASCENDANT DEGREE IS THE SENSITIVE DEGREE/CUSP THAT IS CONTAINED WITHIN each whole sign house BUT the border of each house is 0[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º of each house[/FONT] - that is why it is the whole sign house system because each complete sign IS a whole house

whole sign house system as originally used included a kind of "equal house"
idea BUT CONTAINED WITHIN whole/complete/entire signs

ie in whole signs
(a) each house is a sign
(b) each house has a sensitive point/cusp within it that is the same degree as the ascendant

I think some images would help illustrate that idea, and better show the differences between whole/equal. I might make some.
Great idea Moog :smile:

Last edited:

Moog

I don't think it's really a good or useful thing to disparage modern astrology (and/or it's practitioners) or even treat it as a singular thing.

Rebel Uranian

Yes, but I'm not learning all there is to learn about astrology in two weeks unless modern is all there is to learn about astrology. Since modern is not all there is to learn about astrology, it is not impossible to learn modern astrology in two weeks. Since it is not impossible to learn modern astrology in two weeks, it is possible to learn modern astrology in two weeks. That is, unless you give a better premise.

There is no single unified modern astrology so I shouldn't be saying that. But it's still logically true based on your premise.

Yes, but I'm not learning all there is to learn about astrology in two weeks unless modern is all there is to learn about astrology. Since modern is not all there is to learn about astrology, it is not impossible to learn modern astrology in two weeks. Since it is not impossible to learn modern astrology in two weeks, it is possible to learn modern astrology in two weeks. That is, unless you give a better premise.

There is no single unified modern astrology so I shouldn't be saying that. But it's still logically true based on your premise.

see now, you're trying to be clever with words and trying to twist things, grow up!:lol::lol::lol:

JUPITERASC

I don't think it's really a good or useful thing to disparage modern astrology (and/or it's practitioners) or even treat it as a singular thing.
Quite Moog :smile:
wilsontc did say:
a50,......... That is partly because there is such an overlap between "modern" and "traditional" methods and many "modern astrologers" use some "traditional" techniques as well as modern in their interpretations (e.g., Mars ruling both Aries and Scorpio).
About the new forum,
Tim

tsmall

Premium Member

I agree, Moog, just like I don't think it's a really good or useful thing to disparage traditional astrology, or even house systems...which, as always seems to be the touchiest subject here. Several posters on this thread have mentioned their affinity for a particular house system based on how they fit their own, personal charts. Wouldn't it make more of an informative discussion to give specific reasons as to why astrologers here prefer one system over the other (as dr. farr has done many times.) Just as an example, I see a lot of similarities between Equal House and Whole sign, with the major difference being that I (in all my newly studying perspective) believe Equal house to give more importance to the houses (numbers 1 through 12) than to the signs themselves. I also see little difference between the many types of quadrant based systems.

What seems most important for anyone trying to find the best "fit" for themselves is to look at charts, and charts, and charts, and decide how they are best able to "see" the symbolic language that astrology is. The astrologer is the interpreter, as well as the artist.

I also don't think it's conducive to learning to suggest that members should study for 10 years before they are able to post their thoughts and opinions, or to suggest on the open forum that they lack maturity and need to "grow up." Though, I will say that, irrespective of age, maybe that isn't such bad advice for more than one member...

Rebel Uranian

see now, you're trying to be clever with words and trying to twist things, grow up!:lol::lol::lol:

No, I'm being logical and you're not being logical and therefore being illogical. If I can't do anything better, I'll be a lawyer.

@tsmall

I think I'll make a thread for detailed discussion of house systems and what they mean. I still think anything besides whole signs is a hassle.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I agree, Moog, just like I don't think it's a really good or useful thing to disparage traditional astrology, or even house systems...which, as always seems to be the touchiest subject here. Several posters on this thread have mentioned their affinity for a particular house system based on how they fit their own, personal charts. Wouldn't it make more of an informative discussion to give specific reasons as to why astrologers here prefer one system over the other (as dr. farr has done many times.) Just as an example, I see a lot of similarities between Equal House and Whole sign, with the major difference being that I (in all my newly studying perspective) believe Equal house to give more importance to the houses (numbers 1 through 12) than to the signs themselves. I also see little difference between the many types of quadrant based systems.

What seems most important for anyone trying to find the best "fit" for themselves is to look at charts, and charts, and charts, and decide how they are best able to "see" the symbolic language that astrology is. The astrologer is the interpreter, as well as the artist.

I also don't think it's conducive to learning to suggest that members should study for 10 years before they are able to post their thoughts and opinions, or to suggest on the open forum that they lack maturity and need to "grow up." Though, I will say that, irrespective of age, maybe that isn't such bad advice for more than one member...
This is interesting tsmall, whole sign preceded Equal House. The names of these two systems are a pointer. Equal House focuses on the Houses. Whole sign focuses on the Sign.

And yet of the two, whole sign includes Equal House - two for the price of one?
The sensitive points/cusps of whole sign acting as an "Equal House" CONTAINED WITHIN whole sign.

Equal House is missing the whole signs from which it was separated - perhaps as byjove has hinted - by Ptolemy

Equally interesting is the idea that if a house system "works only for your own chart" then in what sense is that house system "working"?:smile:
No, I'm being logical and you're not being logical and therefore being illogical. If I can't do anything better, I'll be a lawyer. @tsmall I think I'll make a thread for detailed discussion of house systems and what they mean. I still think anything besides whole signs is a hassle.
Now there's an idea! Law is ultimately the logical pedantic interpretation of fine points of argument that you may well find quite fun Rebel Uranian.

I agree, Moog, just like I don't think it's a really good or useful thing to disparage traditional astrology, or even house systems...which, as always seems to be the touchiest subject here. Several posters on this thread have mentioned their affinity for a particular house system based on how they fit their own, personal charts. Wouldn't it make more of an informative discussion to give specific reasons as to why [there are plenty of here if you use our search feature]astrologers here prefer one system over the other (as dr. farr has done many times.) Just as an example, I see a lot of similarities between Equal House and Whole sign, with the major difference being that I (in all my newly studying perspective) believe Equal house to give more importance to the houses (numbers 1 through 12) than to the signs themselves. I also see little difference between the many types of quadrant based systems.
[you will never get any kind of agreement concerning house systems, so why bother. I have on this or another thread today, advised members of a new sub forum for Trads......]

What seems most important for anyone trying to find the best "fit" for themselves is to look at charts, and charts, and charts, and decide how they are best able to "see" the symbolic language that astrology is. The astrologer is the interpreter, as well as the artist.[Exactly!]

I also don't think it's conducive to learning to suggest that members should study for 10 years before they are able to post their thoughts and opinions, or to suggest on the open forum that they lack maturity and need to "grow up." [really my comments were directed to a 14year old minor on here, not to members in general......]Though, I will say that, irrespective of age, maybe that isn't such bad advice for more than one member...[/QUOTE]

thank you, I think it must be confusing to newbies, to read so many different accounts without explanations of whether they are Modern or Traditional and/or which house system they use. Thankfully, most here do have the common sense to mention it though. Besides with this new sub forum any threads wanting Trad response will sim[ly get relocated to that forum.....

No, I'm being logical and you're not being logical and therefore being illogical. If I can't do anything better, I'll be a lawyer.[please do, I mean it please doooooo]

@tsmall

I think I'll make a thread for detailed discussion of house systems and what they mean. I still think anything besides whole signs is a hassle.

Why not frequent the Trad sub forum with your 'logic' and sparkling whit....:biggrin:

Rebel Uranian

depends who it's coming from, certainly a sense of humour is paramount when dealing with underage minors on here .....:whistling:

I'm not old enough to be a minor yet? Aww man...

P.S. My Ascendant is Capricorn which makes me old :pinched: I also have Pluto in a pretty much exact hard aspect to my Sun/Moon midpoint. I think you missed that one. This is probably a result of my Pluto: I don't really care what you say to me. If I feel bad then that's my fault.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I'm not old enough to be a minor yet? Aww man...
Never mind Rebel Uranian, your Capricorn Ascendent automatically enrols you as a member of the Young Fogey's Club

In any event Time shall pass, so make the most of being old while you are young

P.S. My Ascendant is Capricorn which makes me old :pinched: I also have Pluto in a pretty much exact hard aspect to my Sun/Moon midpoint. I think you missed that one. This is probably a result of my Pluto: I don't really care what you say to me. If I feel bad then that's my fault.
If you feel bad, that is your choice - not your fault :smile:

retinoid

I don't understand what dr farr means by the sweet spot (ascendant degree). Equal houses start on the ascendant degree (in each sign). Does dr. farr accept that even if a planet is in a house but not past an ascendant degree (for example 5 degrees scorpio mars when the ascendant is in 18 degrees)? In a whole chart mars would be in the 'scorpio' cusp house, but in an equal house it wouldn't and may be in the house before it.

Moog

Never mind Rebel Uranian, your Capricorn Ascendent automatically enrols you as a member of the Young Fogey's Club

In any event Time shall pass, so make the most of being old while you are young

:lol:

You make me laugh.

Your explanation of the red cabbage thing was hilarious as well

Claire19

This is a vexed question for many. It takes vigilance and tracking your transits and progressions to see what areas are influenced. i.e. which houses. Some use whole signs, some equal and Placidus is very common. A practised astrologer can work out which works better.
I think the location on the planet makes a difference. Nearer the poles the houses are really skewed....

I am lucky in that the Equal and Placidus methods work the same for me due to a 1 degree rising sign etc. As the rulers of the houses are very important I agree it is crucial to get the house system right.

fullmoonlibra

Hmm.. Very interesting topic actually..
Because I have my ascendant in late degrees (26 degrees) leo, and because of that every cusp is in late degrees in a sign. So when interpreting my chart, I only look at the planets in signs and not the signs at the cusp, which is actually also important, but I can't trust it. I even can't trust my ascendant.
And I don't know if I have Virgo traits because of the late degrees in Leo.
I use the default house system on astro.com.
I can't use the others, it also changes the planet positions totally (especially the whole sign system) so it makes me feel insecure about it.