Why Do the Larger Population Areas Tend to Vote for the Democratic Candidates?

david starling

Depends on the city - you can't generalize.

As far as Presidential elections go, there's been a clear pattern of more Democratic voting in the more densely populated areas, and more Republican voting in the less densely populated regions.

So, why is that, in your opinion?

david starling

The Bible has something to do with it, since more rural people are religious on average than urban, and since more religious people vote Republican. :smile:

Well, the House of Representatives, which reflects population density, is listed as about 30% Catholic (including Nancy Pelosi), and about 25% Protestant.
The Catholic vote is split about 50/50 between Red and Blue, with more Red in the less densely populated areas, and more Blue in the more densely populated areas.

Last edited:

Dirius

As far as Presidential elections go, there's been a clear pattern of more Democratic voting in the more densely populated areas, and more Republican voting in the less densely populated regions.

So, why is that, in your opinion?
Again, it depends on the particular city or area. You are otherwise generalizing. Can you show the graph with the clear pattern showing democrats win the vote share in large urban cities in comparison with less-densely populated areas?

Also - aren't presidential votes accounted by County, rather than by town/city?

Dirius

I'm asking because Trump carried some of the largest population counties in the 2016 election.

- He won Tulsa County - in Oklahoma (most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Oklahoma County - in Oklahoma (second most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Pinellas County - In Florida (most densely populated county in the state).

etc.

In the case of Tulsa, Pinellas and Oklahoma counties, the former two are the most densely populated counties in their state, while the latter is the second most densely populated county in OK. For example (in Pinellas):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinellas_County,_Florida#2000_Census

"As of 2000, there were 921,482 people, 414,968 households, and 243,171 families residing in the county. The population density was 1,271/km2 (3,292/sq mi), making it the most densely populated county in Florida."

So please show me the data on densely population centers going democrat. I'm not saying you are wrong - in fact you may be correct, but we can't generalize, and we need the data.

Last edited:

david starling

Again, it depends on the particular city or area. You are otherwise generalizing. Can you show the graph with the clear pattern showing democrats win the vote share in large urban cities in comparison with less-densely populated areas?

Also - aren't presidential votes accounted by County, rather than by town/city?

Haven't found that particular graph, but L.A. County, which is dominated by the City of Los Angeles, voted for the Democratic candidate in all of the State-wide Elections that went to a Republican.

Some counties are more rural, with no large population centers, and tend to vote Republican.

Dirius

I'll quote myself because you might have missed it (we were both replying at the same time):

I'm asking because Trump carried some of the largest population counties in the 2016 election.

- He won Tulsa County - in Oklahoma (most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Oklahoma County - in Oklahoma (second most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Pinellas County - In Florida (most densely populated county in the state).

etc.

In the case of Tulsa, Pinellas and Oklahoma counties, the former two are the most densely populated counties in their state, while the latter is the second most densely populated county in OK. For example (in Pinellas):

"As of 2000, there were 921,482 people, 414,968 households, and 243,171 families residing in the county. The population density was 1,271/km2 (3,292/sq mi), making it the most densely populated county in Florida."

So please show me the data on densely population centers going democrat. I'm not saying you are wrong - in fact you may be correct, but we can't generalize, and we need the data.

david starling

I'll quote myself because you might have missed it (we were both replying at the same time):

etc.

L.A. has more than 4 times the population of Jacksonville. Which, by the way voted only slightly more for Trump than for HRC by county (Duval).

david starling

Here are the listings for the most populous counties in Florida:

Miami-Dade, 2,600,860
HRC 63.7%/Trump 34.1%

Broward, 1,815,270
HRC 66.5%/Trump 31.4%

Palm Beach, 1,359,075
HRC 56.5%/Trump 41.2%

Hillsborough, 1,279,670
HRC 51.5%/Trump 44.7%

Orange, 1,200,240
HRC 60.4%/Trump 35.7%

----------------------------------over 1 million people ^

Pinellas, 925,000
Trump 48.6%/HRC 47.5%

Duval, 880,750
Trump 49%/HRC 47.5%

Nearly all the rest of the counties went to Trump, with the populations steadily decreasing.

Last edited:

Dirius

You see why you need to set-up the variables properly david?

Your original question said "densely populated". Pinellas and Broward are the two most densely populated counties in florida. Population number isn't the same.

... there's been a clear pattern of more Democratic voting in the more densely populated areas, and more Republican voting in the less densely populated regions.
which reflects population density, is listed as about ...
with more Red in the less densely populated areas, and more Blue in the more densely populated areas.

Last edited:

david starling

You see why you need to set-up the variables properly david?

Your original question said "densely populated". Pinellas and Broward are the two most densely populated counties in florida. Population number isn't the same.

Well, the thread title doesn't mention density, just larger population.

Dirius

Well, the thread title doesn't mention density, just larger population.

The areas I mentioned do have a very large population.

Pinellas County has a population of almost 1 million people. In comparison with the least populous county in Florida (Liberty County), it is over one hundred times more populous.

Also this last question wasn't the main issue of the topic, it was on presidential elections.

Last edited:

david starling

The areas I mentioned do have a very large population.

Pinellas County has a population of almost 1 million people. In comparison with the least populous county in Florida (Liberty County), it is over one hundred times more populous.

Also this last question wasn't the main issue of the topic, it was on presidential elections.

Yes, but both Duval and Pinellas have under a million people, and in both counties the Election was close, less than 2% points difference. Then, as population decreases, the Republican advantage increases in most cases.

Presidential elections weren't specified, but neither were they excluded.
Were you hoping for a different result?

Dirius

Yes, but both Duval and Pinellas have under a million people, and in both counties the Election was close, less than 2% points difference. Then, as population decreases, the Republican advantage increases in most cases.

Presidential elections weren't specified, but neither were they excluded.
Were you hoping for a different result?

Yep, but Pinellas is still the most densely populated area, as per your question.

And unfortunately presidential votes are counted by county, not city.

Last edited:

david starling

Time for me to ask one question:

... why do democrat-run large metropolitan cities have the highest murder/manslaughter rates per population number?

This includes the top 10:

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

Some of these are also high in the list in other forms of crime such as robbery, assault, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

The "War on Drugs". It creates gang warfare. I'd say the non-Libertarian Democrats and Republicans are the cause.

blackbery

Unfortunately, NY is heading that way again. Republicans Guiliani/Bloomberg were tough on crime, more arrests, more police on the streets.
They turned New York into one of of the safest big cities in the country.

Republicans value LAW & ORDER.

It's a tough stance that the Democrats won't adopt even if it means less crime and safer cities. They won't even admit the violence of the on-going riots, still calling them peaceful protests. They will not crack down on violence in the cities, in the riots or anywhere anymore. Some Democrat-run cities are more dangerous than war zones and getting worse each year.

If only the Republicans could have a chance at trying to reign in the violence by becoming Mayor of these violent cities. We know it worked in NY.

Liberal Cities, Radical Mayhem
Democratic mayors and governors seem unable to stop the destruction of their own cities.

America’s 25 Worst Cities are Democrat-Led – The Answer, New Leaders

The top-ten American cities for homelessness are sanctuary cities, which offer refuge to illegal immigrants, do not cooperate with federal law enforcement, and raise the price of low-rent housing for their citizens. In this group are Los Angeles (55,000 homeless), Seattle (12,000), San Diego (9,000), San Jose (7,000), San Francisco (6,000), and Las Vegas (6,000).

the top-25 “most dangerous” are Democrat-led, and among the poorest and least employed, with weak infrastructure, tax base and incentives for private investment.

This should not be a political issue for citizens should all feel safe in their cities but Democrats continue to use 'race-baiting' and other wedge issues to hold onto their support from the minorities which are a large percentage of the population in large, urban cities and keep the Democrats in power decade after decade even as the cities become filthy, dangerous places.

The cities need our help, not our political agendas. Your postings Dirius (thank you for those btw and the graphs)
prove what we already know. The Democrats won't even acknowledge there is a problem in their cities. How can anything improve if they live in denial and blame everything on racism and the Republicans? First step in recovery is recognition of the problem.

Time for me to ask one question:

... why do democrat-run large metropolitan cities have the highest murder/manslaughter rates per population number?

This includes the top 10:

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

Some of these are also high in the list in other forms of crime such as robbery, assault, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Last edited:

david starling

The only answer non-Libertarian type Conservative Republicans have to the "War on Drugs" violence--which includes high rates of rape, assault, prostitution, robberies and burglary along with the deadly drive-by shootings--is a police-state dictatorship, which is forbidden by the Constitution. So, the Liberal Democrats are left to doing the best they can, in an impossible situation.

Last edited: