View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:57 AM

Re: Origins of Hellenistic Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
An (apparently Hellenist) astrology board has just been found in a cave sealed since around 100 BC, in central Europe (Croatia)today; it is the oldest such board known and is believed to date from apprximately 200 BC; it will be interesting to see what's on the board (it has ivory pieces with the signs of the zodiac engraved upon them) So here is a bit of evidence from early Hellenist times (some believe the board originated in Egypt)
Fascinating! Moog, thanks for the link for it. Nicholas Campion refers to a similar find in his book The Dawn of Astrology. Darned if I can relocate it.

What fascinates me about this find is that it shows constellation pictures. Apparently our glyphs for signs were a later development. Manilius has a pretty detailed catalogue of how different stars in the constellations indicate different rising times. For a night birth, you could actually peg the ASC and planets on these constellation pictures.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 01-18-2012 at 04:10 AM.