How does Mercury govern both thinking and speech?

TreasureForever

What makes them come together through Mercury?

Is thinking a form of speaking, or is speaking a form of thinking, or both?

If speaking and thinking did not exist as words, would Mercurying suffice as a verb to replace them both?

CapAquaPis

Mercury is associated with intellect and mental ability because it is the closest planet to the sun and has the fastest orbit and ruler of signs Gemini and Virgo.

Mercury aspects with Jupiter, like on my chart: Mercury (9th in Pisces) opposite Jupiter (3rd in Virgo) with a T-square of Neptune (6th in Sagittarius), exhibits my actual genius abilities in science, current events and study of languages.
http://theastrologyplacemembership.com/2014/08/mercury-jupiter-knowitall/

My Jupiter is afflicting Mars and Saturn (all 3 in retrograde) in a stellium, and this made me less aggressive than having solely Mars-Saturn conjunction.

greybeard

Mercury is Abstraction. All symbols, and things symbolic, belong to Mercury.

Both speech and thought rely on symbols. Speech is simply audible thought, a medium for the Interchange (Mercury again) of thoughts.

Sunny

Is thinking a form of speaking, or is speaking a form of thinking, or both?
When thinking is a form of speaking then we call it a "discursive thinking". But if speaking is a form of thinking, that's a no even when sometimes people are sincere.:tongue::wink:

So, have a look at the divinity of Mercury. He is a quick traveler with winged feet. Also he has good contacts because of his commercial abilities, and he is a liar and one who guides the dead in the underworld (Hades). He has multiples significations and multiples abilities, likes to be in open places in the popular world/places and he has a hat! ;)

Now, if you see in what house (and signs of course) he falls in your chart then you learn about his actions: for ex. in the 12th he can mean undergoing calomnities, in the 6th he has perhaps much compassion for others and specially for animals; being in the 8th or in scorpio he perhaps designes in a good way a sharp mind and in a bad way mental sadism, or only in scorpio a hard worker, and he is also very good in mathematical concerns and so on.
It's your turn to make your astrological cookbook. :smile::cool:

greybeard

Mercury symbolizes the Power of Abstraction, thus the abstract (rational) mind. All thought, reasoning, is abstraction. All language, spoken or written, is abstract. Symbols of whatever sort are abstractions.

Mercury rules "buying and selling" and all forms of interchange. The interchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the lungs, at the surface of corpuscles, is Mercury-ruled. A freeway cloverleaf, which is a node of interchange, is under Mercury. This forum, where ideas and information are exchanged, is Mercurial -- doubly so because it's an astrology forum and Mercury rules astrology.

Your problem arises from a deficient understanding of Mercury's meanings, or scope.

Mercury rules our perceptions (points of view, opinions) because our perceptions are abstractions of reality, not reality itself. The eye interprets light and whatever else it sees. When you see a redwood tree...you don't carry a redwood tree in your eye. Mercury rules interpretation and translation.

Last edited:

david starling

Thinking is speaking to oneself. Speaking is communicating one's thoughts to others. Mercury is involved with both, but doesn't govern them exclusively.

greybeard

Nothing governs anything else exclusively.

But nothing enters or leaves the mind without the imprint or imprimatur of Mercury. That's a pretty broad governance.

Last edited:

greybeard

Does it? Or not?
You have the info; apply it.

I guess "quantification" must mean "counting pebbles". Seems to me that the number "3" is an abstraction. We can talk about it without a real three anywhere in the neighborhood, and that meets the test of abstraction. And if we come to A=bh/2, we are undeniably in the world of the abstract.

I think Behavioral Reasoning must work like this: I am out for a walk on Kodiak Island. In front of me stands a gargantuan bear, looking straight at me, snarling and drooling. Judging from his behavior I quickly reason that he would like to have me over for dinner.

There is no abstraction here. Moon for mayor.

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
What about non-symbolic thinking, such as quantification and behavioral reasoning?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_reasoning

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking if Artificial Intelligence would come under Mercury as well.

If are you meaning in can I teach AI to reason, as this has begun, but it is new and weird, and questionable as to whether or not we should be teaching an AI to think and reason for itself, (I feel like I saw the horror movie).

Teaching an AI To reason for itself, yes, Mercury. It is communication. I think that you would also have to consult Uranus and Neptune.

What are you thinking of charting? Boston Dynamics? One of their critters?

!4C

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking if Artificial Intelligence would come under Mercury as well.
No, but I tend to compare the natural world to man-made systems for conceptualization.

Some people give mercury all the credit for intelligence. I see it representing a central data/communication interface with some basic processing that can be most efficiently achieve on that level, such as translation. Since it will always be involved, it must be considered along with other pertinent planets when evaluating an ability. It seems like that was direction of the discussion above, hence my interest.

I think of the planets as representing subsystems. In greybeard's bear example, mercury passes environmental data to the moon. The moon compares the data to previous situations to determine a probable outcome. The moon system passes the result to the sun (consciousness). That's a simplified example of how I think of it.

To assess someone's ability for behavioral reasoning, you would, at the least, look at the condition of their moon, mercury, and moon-mercury relationship to see how the chart adds or detracts from the average ability.

Opal

Premium Member
No, but I tend to compare the natural world to man-made systems for conceptualization.

Some people give mercury all the credit for intelligence. I see it representing a central data/communication interface with some basic processing that can be most efficiently achieve on that level, such as translation. Since it will always be involved, it must be considered along with other pertinent planets when evaluating an ability. It seems like that was direction of the discussion above, hence my interest.

I think of the planets as representing subsystems. In greybeard's bear example, mercury passes environmental data to the moon. The moon compares the data to previous situations to determine a probable outcome. The moon system passes the result to the sun (consciousness). That's a simplified example of how I think of it.

To assess someone's ability for behavioral reasoning, you would, at the least, look at the condition of their moon, mercury, and moon-mercury relationship to see how the chart adds or detracts from the average ability.

Everything is a blend. All aspects, houses, signs and if you are a modern astrologer mindset , astral entities will play into, well everything. Hence trying to predict, in astrology becomes extremely difficult, because every chart is so very individual. Have you seen the lists of astral entities at Astro.com? They, in my modern opinion all affect us depending on what you look at.

Mercury and the third are the basics. Every else, adds flavour.

I like what you have written, I am off to work now. No time to further comment.

Last edited: