How do you work out how strong a planet is?

FlyAway

Draco said:
Hi again Fly.

You correctly identified Venus as the Lady of the Geniture ('geniture', means 'birth' by the way), however, the way in which you went about it wasn't correct, but you're getting the idea. ;)

We see that Venus being exalted, and Saturn being domicile both have lots of essential dignity, and a fair bit of accidental dignity as well as they are both in succedent houses, but as the eighth is a generally unfortunate house we would opt for the more beneficial Venus in the eleventh, because given the choice we must surely go for the benefic in the house of fortune, than the malefic in an unhappy house, and if we refer to our table of essential dignities, we find that Venus is not only exalted, but she is also in her term, between 0 - 8 Pisces:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

Thanks for you insight, Draco.
I admit, I've been too creative in my analysis, because I wasn't sure what's more important, the dignity of a planet or the house it's in.
I also wasn't sure how to read "the terms of planets" and "the face of planets".
But the numbers behind a planet stand for the degrees, I guess :rolleyes:
Yes, that's right:

The sixth column shows the degrees where rulership by face transfers. That is, Mars rules the first ten degree of Aries, from 0°00' - 9°59'; the Sun rules rules from 10°00' - 19°59 Aries.

I slowly...very slowly...getting it :)

Yoi

Bob said:
Yoi,

Not true! I said he was one of the planets fit enough to be Kurios. There are several officers under the captain all performing their relevant functions in guiding ones life to its destiny. The ship owner controls where destiny is and the captain runs the ship which decides how it gets there (the course).

In ancient times ones life was described as a voyage where the asc is the steering, his ruler the steersman, the Lot of Fortune the look out and Kurios is the captain (others too) but it seems people want the 'easy' lazy answer without using ones brain. I see you all prefer the numbers of Lilly even though he has 'no number' for THE most important natal considerations - the sect light and its ruler. Way to go Lilly...

Bye

Hi Bob

Ah sorry for misunderstanding you! I think the problem is with definitions and the ambiguity of the English language. "Fit to be Captain", "strongest planet" and also "control the course" and "guiding light" sound like basically the same thing. However I suspect now that it is basically like say psychology where for example where common English words like "ego" have precise definitions not necessarily the same as used in basic English discourse. What *is* the difference between the roles of the "strongest" planet in the Lilly system and being the "Captain" of the ship of life in the System of Hermes? The way they are described sounds makes their role seem vaguely similar but from what you say there are clear differences. Help! I am very confused!

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure *what* the Lord of Geniture and Kurios actually do...Can anyone give some examples of how they actually manifest in people's lives using real-life examples?

Very confused. Help!
Yoi

Last edited:

Draco

Hi Yoi.

Sorry, I didn't see your last post.

I hope you can comment on the strength of Jupiter.

There are four potential candidates for the weakest planet in your chart, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all of them being peregrine.

Now, Mars and the Moon are slow in motion, which is an accidental debility. Saturn is succedent, which is an somewhat dignified, and fast in motion. The Moon is in the first house, the opposite house to the house of it's rulership, so this is a debility. Apart from being peregrine, Jupiter is angular and succedent, so I wouldn't say he was the weakest.

Of Moon, Mars and Saturn, well, the latter two are malefics, but the Moon is slow as well as opposite it's own house, and in that it is in the first giving it great power to act out it's less desirable qualities, then I'd probably go for the Moon. Then again, consider that Mars is naturally malefic, as well as being conjunct the South Node, so I probably opt for Mars too. So I'd go for Mars/Moon.

I don't suppose seeking out the weakest planets in our chart is the healithiest exercise however. Identifying the LoG is about knowing what essence to draw upon in life in order to conduct yourself appropriately and surpass fate and access destiny.

Hello Bob.

it seems people want the 'easy' lazy answer without using ones brain.

Which people particularly?

I see you all prefer the numbers of Lilly

I take this personally, as I was the one mentioning 'numbers' originally, but it's a teaching aid.

You'll notice I didn't place 'scores' next to the houses, as I'd consider this as would be to reduce it to the level of splitting hairs.

If you read the boards regularly you will have noticed that I am constantly reiterating that Lilly's 'numbers' are a general rule of thumb, a guideline only, to be used with a good dash of common sense, and with 'all things being equal', they are not a mathematical formula. Astrology is not a science, it's an art, it's deals with qualities not quantities.

The 'numbers' come in handy when you are trying to put across a concept to a person who is unfamiliar with it, about how to identify the Lord of the Geniture. That's why it's a teaching aid. It always was. When that person has become familiar with the concept, they may find that the 'numbers' become less and less necessary as a reference.

To have done otherwise would certainly have made it a more complicated task to explain things that it would need to be.

You call people 'lazy', but you know yourself that there is so much astro-trash out there, that it is hard to find the real gems of wisdom amidst it all. If they were lazy they wouldn't be asking questions out of a desire to learn.

I am always, always trying to point out about the way in which people follow Lilly's rules as if they are strictures and foolproof formulae, they are not, they are broad guidelines to be used with common sense, and a mixture of 'discretion with art'.

Yes, there are those that think that Lilly's numbers are a mathematical formula, but these tend to be the less imaginative types that would make better astronomers, or those, who through no fault of their own, are simply ignorant of this fact. So then teach them, persuade them, share in what you know, but don't berate them.

It's like those who think that if the Moon is void, or if the ascendant is early, that this disqualifies interpretation in a horary. Not true! These are examples of 'considerations before judgement', not 'strictures before not bothering to judge at all', but this misinterpretation is most often propounded by those whose careful studies of Lilly have never extended quite so far as reading any of his work.

It's just I don't appreciate being tarred with the wrong brush.

Yoi

Draco said:
Hi Yoi.

Sorry, I didn't see your last post.

There are four potential candidates for the weakest planet in your chart, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all of them being peregrine.

Now, Mars and the Moon are slow in motion, which is an accidental debility. Saturn is succedent, which is an somewhat dignified, and fast in motion. The Moon is in the first house, the opposite house to the house of it's rulership, so this is a debility. Apart from being peregrine, Jupiter is angular and succedent, so I wouldn't say he was the weakest.

Of Moon, Mars and Saturn, well, the latter two are malefics, but the Moon is slow as well as opposite it's own house, and in that it is in the first giving it great power to act out it's less desirable qualities, then I'd probably go for the Moon. Then again, consider that Mars is naturally malefic, as well as being conjunct the South Node, so I probably opt for Mars too. So I'd go for Mars/Moon.

I don't suppose seeking out the weakest planets in our chart is the healithiest exercise however. Identifying the LoG is about knowing what essence to draw upon in life in order to conduct yourself appropriately and surpass fate and access destiny.

Hi Draco,

Thanks! However I think you got some details wrong. Jupiter is in Virgo so is in detriment not peregrine and Mars is conjunct the N. Node not the S. Node.

Anyway, I am honestly not trying to just "add numbers up". One thing that bothered me about Lilly is can you *really* add up all of that stuff with pluses and minuses anyway? Essential dignity and accidental dignity seem to be two very different things for example but Lilly's system treats them as if they are the same. Apples and Oranges so to speak. However, well, it is the most known system, the easiest one to find information on the internet and I am still learning (and very confused!). Hey, you have to admit, it's a step up from the "Lord of the Chart is the ruler of the Ascendant" method that is often cited. Basically it boils down to:

1. What "type" of strength/weakness do different factors represent? For example Mars conjunct N. Node would be a different "type" of strength than say Mars in dignity (Aries) or Mars conjunct the IC as the "strength" of Mars would likely manifest in different ways. How do you compare the relative ranking of different types of strength/weaknesses? Even if you have equal amounts of strengths and weaknesses they wouldn't mean the strengths and weaknesses disappear. You would still feel them I guess.

2. Assuming you work out (1) - it is also a question of how *much* strength and weakness change as you go up and down with ranking. Most people seem to use a basic linear scale but is that really true?

3. Definitions! I am really confused on this point. What is the difference between "Kurios" and "Lord of Geniture"?

Last edited:

Draco

Hi Fly and Yoi.

Here are some links that might take both of your interests.

Thanks for you insight, Draco.

You're very welcome.

the dignity of a planet or the house it's in.

Very basically, look for the planets with the greatest essential dignity, and then find out which one has the most accidental dignity so that it can make the most of it's latent strength.

I slowly...very slowly...getting it

You will get it, you will, it will become semi-automatic eventually. I find the table of dignities invaluable. The transpersonals don't come into the scheme of dignities, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are not interesting or valuable, it just means they don't come into the table of dignities. Personally, I'm fine with that idea, as I see the transpersonals as a different 'species' of planet, a higher order, so I have no qualms about treating them completely differently.

Do you have another chart to have a go at? Try again and see how you do.

Can anyone give some examples of how they actually manifest in people's lives using real-life examples?

Here is a link regarding the LoG, George Patton and Charles Manson.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/geniture.html

Oh, and here are some links about essential and accidental dignity, which is incredibly useful to know about far beyond the purpose of finding the strongest of the chart:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dignities.html

;)

Draco

Hi again Yoi.

However I think you got some details wrong. Jupiter is in Virgo so is in detriment not peregrine and Mars is conjunct the N. Node not the S. Node.

Yes! Right you are. :eek: Next time I'll try not to concentrate on television at the same time as exploring a chart. So Jupiter is definately weakest then. Oh and yes, it's the North Node. :eek: I can't believe I was so sloppy, but now I'm paying attention.

Anyway, you got the idea of what I was saying.

Essential dignity and accidental dignity seem to be two very different things

Well, they are. :p

The amount of dignity a planet has, show the amount of power it has to act, essential dignity is it's latent inner strength, accidental dignity is power that is brought about by circumstance.

For example, a man might be a gifted boxer (lot's of essential dignity), but if you put him in a straight-jacket (accidental dignity) he isn't going to be able to do anything with his strength to win the fight, Mars in Aries in the twelfth for example.

A man might be dying of thirst crawling through a desert (low essential dignity), but he uses every last strain of effort that he can possibly muster in order to crawl toward the mirage of an oasis (strong accidental dignity). So although the man is essentially very weak, and doesn't have a lot of strength to do much with, he pushes whatever strength he does have for all he is worth, such as Venus in Aries in the first perhaps, our boxer on the other hand, has plenty of might, but he is unable to do anything with it.

Essential dignity is latent, accidental dignity is circumstantial.

With no.1, I honestly don't understand what you mean, or what it is that you are expressing.

Definitions!

I don't know about Kurios, you'll have to ask Bob.

'Geniture', means 'birth', so the 'Lord of Geniture' is the lord of our birth, our life, our horoscope. It is the strength that we lead with in life, or at least, it ought to be, it is the essence through which we may escape our fate and attain our destiny, and the way to do this is described by the Lord of the Geniture.

eonechoes

Wow thanks for this link and info Draco! I assumed Venus or Saturn would be my ruling planet based on being exalted and at home, respectively, but in fact by this it's very much my Moon. Which in reality makes sense. Very enlightening. :D

Thank you, Draco, for providing some wonderful information on this thread! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around planetary dignity, especially those concerning triplicity, terms, and faces.

Since I'm a morning baby, I'm guessing I shoud look at the diurnal triplicity rulers then? From the Skyscript tutorial, I figured out that my Venus in Libra is in its domicile and Saturn in Libra is exalted. But then at the minor dignities is where I get confused and might make mistakes. :confused: Looking at Ptolemy's chart, Saturn is in its triplicity, correct? After that, I can't see any planets in triplicity in my chart. My Jupiter has some dignity, being in its term. My Moon is in its face.

Now for the accidental dignities, I have Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Pluto in the first, and Mars in the 10th House. It's just a matter of sorting out which one has both the combined essential and accidental dignities to be the Lord of Geniture, right? So I'm guessing it's Venus...correct me if I'm wrong. :eek:

Could someone please check to see if I'm doing this correctly? :D Here is my chart:

Last edited: