Binge eating 12th house..

CaprLibraSquared

I have struggled with disordered eating since I was 13. My go to for the last 8 years has been binge eating. Mostly LARGE quantities of sugared food. As I age my body really can't take it, which has led to digestive issues. I've worked on emotionally for years, but can't seem to really get a handle on it. If money were no object I would go to some retreat center for a month and tackle it once and for all. I was listening to an astrologer webinar and she talked a bit about disordered eating so it caught my ear. She talked about looking to the 12th house for our neurotic behavior, but that was all she said. I am not clear on what that means. I have gravitated to using the Koch house system, which puts my Mars in the 12th house. I don't know if my disordered eating then is a result of not being able to express anger (truth). In fact, I am very disconnected from my anger. I had a therapist who told me I was very angry. Completely detached from that. Maybe. Anyway, this Scorpio season, I am diving in again to get to the root of it and going to the chart this time. WOuld love some input on how to work with the chart heal this pattern of eating. Are there any transit point to actually getting some healing around this. Thank yoU!

Attachments

• Binge.jpg
    Binge.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 66

IleneK

Premium Member
I would look first to Moon Saturn/12th house matters in the chart. Moon is about mother, food, body. Saturn is form, restriction, impedence in the flowing comfort that Moon may offer us.

We see that your Moon, in detached Aquarius, is in fact ruled by Saturn. And Saturn is impeded from expressing itself in a whole, full fashion, since it is in the sign of its fall, Aries, is also retrograde and is lacking any traditional aspect, so not well expressed or integrated into the chart
Further, looking to Saturn's ruler, and we find ourselves in the 12th, as Mars rules Saturn from the 12th.

Moon-Saturn-12th

And this matter with the Moon is a strongly amplified in your life by Moon's exact, partile opposition with Jupiter.

So there is the inclination toward disordered eating, actually in any and all of its forms. And in my experience, it is awareness of what is actually going on before, during and after you binge, that can begin to point you toward some healing. And then the immediate response to whatever you allow yourself to become aware of, both mind or body, is to connect with the deepest and most generous expression of your inherent goodness and compassion toward yourself.

A lot of words,,,I know. But you can start with some very small step.
My heart sincerely goes out to you and I am wishing you the very best.

Last edited:

waybread

I should be red-faced as I type this, as we had a lot of leftover Halloween candy this year, and I was stuffing some into my face while reading your post! I have binge tendencies as well, and one commonality in our horoscopes is moon opposite Venus.

This makes sense, because Venus rules sweets and the moon rules both one's emotional state and stomach. The opposition indicates a sense of tension.

I would think that your Uranus-Pluto square Mars would also contribution some tension in your life. This is usually an explosive combination. As a child, were you taught that anger is wrong and bad, and you were never allowed to express it in a healthy way? Can you take up some kind of high-impact sport that would allow you to express your Mars in a constructive way?

I note that Jupiter rules your 12th house. Jupiter is the energy of, "If a little is good, a lot is better." Unfortunately, this isn't so true for us .

Carbohydrates are a sedative. So while some people cannot eat if they feel nervous or upset, we are just the opposite.

I wonder if the problem might be your nutrition. Aside from the quantity of food, are you getting the right amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber? What would happen if you ate a lot of lean meat or something high-fiber (like oatmeal with skim milk or kale chips) instead of sugary food?

See if this kind of thinking helps:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/health/carbohydrates-cravings-food-drayer/index.html

CaprLibraSquared

I think it is important to clarify there is a difference of overeating vs binging. The latter is more psychological. I've done the no sugar diets, the no carb, paleo, Whole30. I've pretty much done all the trends over time. In the mid-80's I signed up for Weight Watchers, which was absurd as that time I was too thin at that time of my life- that was the excessive restriction part of my life. I'm still shocked they took my money.
It's true to really kick a sugar habit, you have to increase your protein. I've read and studied the physiology of food so much, I should get an honorary degree in Nutrition. I find, quite honestly, these restriction type diets result in a more exaggerated binge at the end. However, if I could really stay with a Whole30 rich in protein diet, I do feel much better. It is the compulsive behavior lack of control that is my challenge.

waybread

I understand the difference, CaprLibraSquared.

Several things occurred to me. Did your Mars by any chance go retrograde during your life? And what is Ceres doing in your horoscope, natally and now? And did your binge eating start at a particular time in your life, or was it always with you? Sometimes timing a sudden-onset event can clarify the astro-influences.

This may be unrelated to your food habits, but normally someone with Mars square Saturn-Pluto would need to enact this hard aspect in some way; whether constructively or destructively. How do you express these planets now?

CaprLibraSquared

I am not sure I understand the Mars question. In my progressed chart? I am not super advanced in astrology. I know Mars goes rx every 26 months?

My memory of the binging/hoarding food was probably around 13-15. HS. Once I started earning my own money I would secretly buy and eat LARGE amounts of food. I hid cookies under my bed. I went from binging to extreme control as had to keep my weight down for HS dance team.

Interest you ask about Ceres. I was looking at that yesterday. Don't know much about Ceres, but in my chart this is the details. I am still reading about it.
Virgo 8th house
Aspects:
Mars Square Ceres
Neptune Sextile Ceres
Pluto, Uranus Conjunction Ceres
Chiron Opposition Ceres

waybread

I am not sure I understand the Mars question. In my progressed chart? I am not super advanced in astrology. I know Mars goes rx every 26 months?

My memory of the binging/hoarding food was probably around 13-15. HS. Once I started earning my own money I would secretly buy and eat LARGE amounts of food. I hid cookies under my bed. I went from binging to extreme control as had to keep my weight down for HS dance team.

Interest you ask about Ceres. I was looking at that yesterday. Don't know much about Ceres, but in my chart this is the details. I am still reading about it.
Virgo 8th house
Aspects:
Mars Square Ceres
Neptune Sextile Ceres
Pluto, Uranus Conjunction Ceres
Chiron Opposition Ceres

Right-- did Mars go retrograde in your progressed chart? You can cast it at Astrodienst, as well. I ask because Mars rules our natural assertiveness and aggression, but with Mars retrograde, these energies are turned inward, so Mars retrograde people tend to be very hard on themselves.

As you know, binge eating can be a response to stress, as carbohydrates are a sedative.

Dwarf planet Ceres is not well understood, but given the Roman goddess for which it was named, Ceres does seem to have something to do with food. It appears that Ceres is involved in some stressful aspects in your chart.

There are some examples where Ceres square Saturn is related to anorexia, and Ceres square Pluto is related to bulimia; so Ceres' involvement in eating disorders more generally is worth considering.

CaprLibraSquared

Right-- did Mars go retrograde in your progressed chart? You can cast it at Astrodienst, as well.

No. Mars hasn't gone direct in my chart, but the struggle of expressing anger is probably a similar result. Mars in the 12th
As you know, binge eating can be a response to stress, as carbohydrates are a sedative.
Yes, stress can be a trigger, but as you know binge eating is more complex than I feel stress thus I eat.
Foods that are high in carbs and fat release the hormone serotonin in the brain, which induces pleasurable feelings. So, yes, those foods are indeed trigger foods.

CaprLibraSquared

I appreciate the nutrition advice, but I am well read on how food impacts the body. I've done most of the fad out there - sugar cleanses, juice cleanses, several Whole30s. Along with reading the books. I have a lot respect for the Whole30 author as she is the first to say Whole30 may not be the right fit for those with eating disorders. She writes a lot about the emotions food triggers and what we say to ourselves. I think she really tries to encourage a healthy approach to food. Of course, she is a former drug addict so gets the addiction.
I've gone months no sugar, no wheat, no dairy, etc. Did vegan for awhile (body crashed). Study Ayurveda. Yes boleyn and waybred for sure fat, carbs, and sugar are trigger foods. Yes, TONS of research is out there what these foods produce in your body. I can say coming off sugar was the most intense experiences of my life. I stayed off for about two months.

These above mentioned foods are triggers, not the cause. If they were the cause everyone would have an issue. There are those who can have cookies, ice cream, and candy in their house and go weeks, months before these items are gone. Um, I am not that person. NONE of these things are EVER in my house.
Stress bad mood, etc are also triggers, but not the cause. Eating disorders are complicated. Very complicated. They can also be genetic.

My diet outside the binges is fairly healthy. In fact, many people think I have a very healthy diet and attitude about food. They don't know my secret self. :) I am just over the scale of being overweight, but not obese. Outwardly I don't present as someone with an eating disorder.

Again, appreciate the advice, BUT I am curious about the astrology and maybe naively so. I've been studying astrology the last few years working with my shadow and other aspects of my personality. I thought maybe it might be a window in to unpacking the shadow of binge eating.

Typing this I wonder maybe the best thing I can do is tell my MD.

Frisiangal

I have struggled with disordered eating since I was 13. My go to for the last 8 years has been binge eating. Mostly LARGE quantities (Jupiter) of sugared food (Venus). As I age my body really can't take it, which has led to digestive issues (Virgo). I've worked on emotionally for years (Moon), but can't seem to really get a handle on it. …………………...

BUT I am curious about the astrology and maybe naively so.

Computer check-up, so I'm behind in a response to your query.

Do you notice anything particular about the coloured comments you made that are highlighted by planets? They are all in aspect in your chart.

You seem to understand the physical and nutrition aspects already explained to you by others. Have you considered that there could be psychological emotional causes? Modern astrology always takes psychosomatic conditions into account when physical issues occur.

Whenever I see harsh aspects from Venus I think, 'how's the individual's love life'? The receiving and expression of it in all its forms?
Venus issues in health can often see Venus playing the substitute role of con-fection sweetness for 'the real thing' that is based on affection shown by love. Moon has the obvious associations with the biological mother.

Although other systems can provide different house cusps, the angles of a chart always remain the same. In the chart shown, Cancer is on the 7th house cusp, ruler Moon, and it rules everything regarding how the individual feels regarding and its attitude towards (reception of) the you-I of/in personal relationships. Moon in Aquarius has a reputation for lack of expressing a personally caring/ feeling nature, although it is there for all around it, yet to/with whom there is no attachment through personal bonding.
Venus is different. It desires commitment with another, usually through the expression of "if you love me, SHOW it." Venus rules both Taurus on 4th house cusp, and Libra either on cusp of, or intercepted in 9th house. Natal Sun is in Libra in 9th house, and makes no contact with Venus (orb too wide).
Virgo li(v)es in everyone. It has a reputation for being brittle. If a planet is in the sign, it's not exactly harsh in any judgement making (Jupiter influence from Leo), but it can definitely use its discriminative side to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's of any situation with which it contends (8th house, or intercepted in it?). A bitterness can arise, for which sugar can be a comforter.
Moon rules the stomach (the intake of food; also first impressions). Virgo rules the digestive system (how is food digested = how are impressions digested)!!

A 'harshness' can arise from difficult aspects, yet can also be found in Capricorn and its ruler Saturn. Capricorn is on Ascendant and Saturn in Aries (lack of assertivity = lethargic???). Venus is exact degree inconjunct (stress) Saturn in the chart. You may not like the way situations other than food intake play a role in life, but do you do anything about them?
The Moon-Jupiter-Neptune T-square is a strong indicator of how 'feelings', as a rsult of situations, can get to you.

From the position of natal Chiron (inner pain), you have undergone its return to its birth position. Have you been able to deal with those issues that brought about a Chiron in Pisces situation? Many websites will explain its natal and return relevance. Chiron forms a T-square with the Mars-Pluto-Uranus square. You may find that it is the source of the anger you live with 'inside'. Mars-Pluto are explosive at the least of times, and Uranus could add the nitro that sets it off.

Transit Saturn and Pluto through Capricorn in the 1st house could be an excellent time to deal with the issues of the past. You cannot change them, but you do have it in your power to lay them to rest. You could experience it as a liberation …. which may also bring relief to the yearning and subsequent digestive issues.

Last edited:

CaprLibraSquared

Computer check-up, so I'm behind in a response to your query.

Do you notice anything particular about the coloured comments you made that are highlighted by planets? They are all in aspect in your chart.

You seem to understand the physical and nutrition aspects already explained to you by others. Have you considered that there could be psychological emotional causes? Modern astrology always takes psychosomatic conditions into account when physical issues occur.

Whenever I see harsh aspects from Venus I think, 'how's the individual's love life'? The receiving and expression of it in all its forms?
Venus issues in health can often see Venus playing the substitute role of con-fection sweetness for 'the real thing' that is based on affection shown by love. Moon has the obvious associations with the biological mother.

Although other systems can provide different house cusps, the angles of a chart always remain the same. In the chart shown, Cancer is on the 7th house cusp, ruler Moon, and it rules everything regarding how the individual feels regarding and its attitude towards (reception of) the you-I of/in personal relationships. Moon in Aquarius has a reputation for lack of expressing a personally caring/ feeling nature, although it is there for all around it, yet to/with whom there is no attachment through personal bonding.
Venus is different. It desires commitment with another, usually through the expression of "if you love me, SHOW it." Venus rules both Taurus on 4th house cusp, and Libra either on cusp of, or intercepted in 9th house. Natal Sun is in Libra in 9th house, and makes no contact with Venus (orb too wide).
Virgo li(v)es in everyone. It has a reputation for being brittle. If a planet is in the sign, it's not exactly harsh in any judgement making (Jupiter influence from Leo), but it can definitely use its discriminative side to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's of any situation with which it contends (8th house, or intercepted in it?). A bitterness can arise, for which sugar can be a comforter.
Moon rules the stomach (the intake of food; also first impressions). Virgo rules the digestive system (how is food digested = how are impressions digested)!!

A 'harshness' can arise from difficult aspects, yet can also be found in Capricorn and its ruler Saturn. Capricorn is on Ascendant and Saturn in Aries (lack of assertivity = lethargic???). Venus is exact degree inconjunct (stress) Saturn in the chart. You may not like the way situations other than food intake play a role in life, but do you do anything about them?
The Moon-Jupiter-Neptune T-square is a strong indicator of how 'feelings', as a rsult of situations, can get to you.

From the position of natal Chiron (inner pain), you have undergone its return to its birth position. Have you been able to deal with those issues that brought about a Chiron in Pisces situation? Many websites will explain its natal and return relevance. Chiron forms a T-square with the Mars-Pluto-Uranus square. You may find that it is the source of the anger you live with 'inside'. Mars-Pluto are explosive at the least of times, and Uranus could add the nitro that sets it off.

Transit Saturn and Pluto through Capricorn in the 1st house could be an excellent time to deal with the issues of the past. You cannot change them, but you do have it in your power to lay them to rest. You could experience it as a liberation …. which may also bring relief to the yearning and subsequent digestive issues.

Thank you Frisiangal! This is really insightful! A lot take in, but super informative.
Love life? What love life. :tongue:
Interesting what you write about Venus "Venus playing the substitute role of con-fection sweetness for 'the real thing' that is based on affection shown by love."
Yes, I very much do understand the physical and nutrition aspects. I spent a many years thinking I could "heal" myself that way thus so many types of "diets." Controlling what you eat, don't eat can occupy a lot of mind space thus I think in can also be a distraction into the why one binges. I am now clear it is not my mind (understanding/control) that is going to really create change. I've cleaned my body of sugar and carbs numerous times for months on end, only to go back and usually more intense than pre-cleanses.

I've spent time in and out therapy dealing with the "mother wound." Definitely deep and definitely hard to put to rest. It's a tricky one even therapists will reinforce the statement "our parents did their very best."

Interesting what you write about Saturn in Aries. I have taken in a lot of poor behavior. Haven't set boundaries. Definitely VERY lethargic in the last three years more so than any other time in my life. This last year I have been working with developing my assertiveness as well as bringing consciousness to a lot of things in my life. It a bit shocking really how unconscious I have been to a lot of my feeling life. I approach most things with my mind and detachment. I had a therapist once tell me I talk of my childhood as if it wasn't me, but telling someone else's story. Perhaps my Aquarius moon. BUT maybe this is the block and I don't address the feelings, but eat sugar instead. I do think the eating is psychological, but can't seem to get to the root of of the psychology thus the draw to astrology. I have also been doing a shadow work online course. I guess astrology is my hope to find what am I missing. However, perhaps it is just another way to be in my mind about it.

I did see a somatic bodyworker for the first time on Friday. She said my body, in particular, my stomach region is very very tight - has a lot of holding. Perhaps dropping the mind stuff for awhile and doing body centered practices may help.

As you state I need to lay the past to rest and I have been doing a lot of work, but this binge eating habit is strong, really strong and has been with me the longest. If this upcoming transit of Saturn/Pluto can give the healing work a boost that would be ideal.

Again, thank you for the insight.