Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Dirius

I bet Dirius is religious simply because he grew up in a religious household, so he's making excuses to justify it. :lol:

I've been on both sides of the argument. I find atheism boring, and an ideology that can only lead to violence and harming of others. Because at its core, it truly lacks any manner of moral integrity. In fact when you look at most mainstream atheists that promote the ideology, such as Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, they all feel quite empty.

I grew up in a secular household. My parents were not really religious.

AppLeo

Because the idea that our universe happened out of a random occurance,

I think the universe is eternal. It has been here and has always been here. It never had a beginning and never came out of nowhere. Existence exists.

and has no actual purpose leads to the feeling of an empty existance, and leaves no reason to do other things rather than maximizing pleasure in the little time we have, because there would be no consequence to any particular action in a moral landscape.

Pfff... I don't think that there is this "purpose to life." There is a purpose to my life. There is a purpose to your life. There is a purpose to CT's life. There is a purpose to Kat's life. We choose and create our own purposes. Life is the purpose of life. The purpose of life is to enjoy your life.

This general idea that there needs to be a "purpose to life" sneaks in a wrong answer. The question is asked on the premise that something has to provide a purpose for us and we have to go out looking for it. But I don't think there is something out there that we have to look for to give us a purpose.

And frankly, the idea of having a purpose for your life prescribed by either a supernatural or just higher being, in my opinion, can be depressing. If you take the Robert Nozick's thought experiment for example. Imagine if humans were just alien food. That our purpose as humans was to feed aliens. Every time the aliens come to Earth after 10,000 years or so, they feed on us, and then come back once we have populated enough.

So yeah we will have a purpose, but it's a pretty depressing purpose if you ask me. The idea of serving God and doing what he says and not being free to make your own purpose sounds very similar to alien food. That the justification of your life comes from sacrifice and subservience to something else. Not you and your own goals.

And don't even get me started on consequences for our actions. The idea of punishing people by sending them hell for eternity is already unjust and it's a logical fallacy by appealing to force. And the idea of having to scare people to moral, or to force them to moral instead of reasoning with them that morality is a good thing and beneficial to them. And to say that there are no consequences to our actions without the belief of God is absurd. Immoral people in this life do suffer the consequences. Especially in free countries where we have separated state from church and have punished them for their wrongdoings. And even if they arne't punished, peoople who are immoral from a perspective that everyone can agree on (they lie, steal, cheat, etc) they don't live good lives. They pay for it because their life adds up to nothing.

Human beings thus naturally seek an answer, and have been thinking about this subject for millenia. Without actual explanation that could rationally explain the purpose of our existance, human beings have no other choice than to seek the supernatural explanation (meaning, a phenomenom we thus can't explain).

All well and good for the past. Religion was the first form of philosophy for humans. But we have progressed. There are better and more updated philosophies, and those that still continue to be religious are not updated.

And also, just because we can't answer such questions doesn't mean we turn to faith when we cannot explain. That opens the door to going against reality. To not living in accordance to the facts. Which is anti-life and destructive.

Thus the belief in God is natural for humans. And will probably ever be.

Only to humans who are mindless and unthinking. Who just want a philosophy with the answers made for them without really understanding why those answers work.

In essence, the atheistic point of view is unnatural, because it premiates that some humans believe themselves above all others. This explains why all atheists act and behave as if they had an aura of grandness, usually insulting others and believing themselves to be right about everything.

It's not unnatural. It's fact.

It's true that some humans are above others in character, achievement, wealth, and virtue. It's irrational to think that everyone is equal :lol:

Some humans are superior to others and they should take pride in their superiority compared to those who are inferior.

Mozart is certainly better than any average joe composer.

Michaelangelo is certainly better than any painter that watched one Bob Ross video.

Jeff Bezos is better than just about any other businessman.

Ayn Rand is a better author and philosopher than just about any other author or philosopher.

Nothing wrong with arrogance when it's a fact that you are better than everyone else.

Last edited:

AppLeo

I've been on both sides of the argument. I find atheism boring, and an ideology that can only lead to violence and harming of others. Because at its core, it truly lacks any manner of moral integrity. In fact when you look at most mainstream atheists that promote the ideology, such as Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, they all feel quite empty.

Disagree. Fallacious argument. Atheism has nothing to do with morality. Atheists can be good or bad people.

And just because it's boring doesn't mean it's wrong :lol:

I think math is boring but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be practiced in my life.

Religion, on the other hand, does lead to violence at the end of the day. It always will lead to violence because religion is on the ground of faith.

FAITH AND FORCE DESTROYERS OF THE MODERN WORLD

https://courses.aynrand.org/works/faith-and-force-the-destroyers-of-the-modern-world/

I grew up in a secular household. My parents were not really religious.

oooo got me there on that one

conspiracy theorist

Hmm, I'm still not at a computer, but the conversation has evolved since I was last online.

Appleo, are you still interested in looking at religious books that are based on logic and reasoning?

I can pull up some of those scientific studies that you dismiss out of hand. They aren't just related to your hatred of Religion though, but general things that you have said.

AppLeo

Hmm, I'm still not at a computer, but the conversation has evolved since I was last online.

Appleo, are you still interested in looking at religious books that are based on logic and reasoning?

I can pull up some of those scientific studies that you dismiss out of hand. They aren't just related to your hatred of Religion though, but general things that you have said.

Religious books based on logic and reasoning :lol:

Isn't that a contradiction???

conspiracy theorist

Faith isn't the only precursor to violence though. There was a study done that correlated income inequality with violent crime. It was a strong enough correlation that it basically amounted to "income inequality IS violent crime." The bloodiest century in recorded human history is also the most atheistic. We saw two world wars fought in the 1900s, and these wars were not fought on religious grounds.

Plenty of religions do not have a anthropomorphic God at its helm. In fact, those of very high spiritual attainment report quite abstract renditions of what they experience during mystical union. Invisible man in the sky isn't the consensus on what those heavily involved in Religion and Mysticism experience.

conspiracy theorist

Here is a Christian based one. It's the Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas. In it he applies logic and reason to the religious claims made by his religion. It's still a part of seminary studies to this day.

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/03d/1225-1274,_Thomas_Aquinas,_Summa_Theologiae_%5B1%5D,_EN.pdf

There are also other religious/spiritual books that take a logical approach and even try to teach methods on how to verify what is being posited. They arent feelings driven or irrational.

Dirius

I think the universe is eternal. It has been here and has always been here. It never had a beginning and never came out of nowhere.

Pfff... I don't think that there is this "purpose to life." There is a purpose to my life. There is a purpose to your life. There is a purpose to CT's life. There is a purpose to Kat's life. We choose and create our own purposes. Life is the purpose of life. The purpose of life is to enjoy your life.

This general idea that there needs to be a "purpose to life" sneaks in a wrong answer. The question is asked on the premise that something has to provide a purpose for us and we have to go out looking for it. But I don't think there is something out there that we have to look for to give us a purpose.

And frankly, the idea of having a purpose for your life prescribed by either a supernatural or just higher being, in my opinion, can be depressing. If you take the Robert Nozick's thought experiment for example. Imagine if humans were just alien food. That our purpose as humans was to feed aliens. Every time the aliens come to Earth after 10,000 years or so, they feed on us, and then come back once we have populated enough.

So yeah we will have a purpose, but it's a pretty depressing purpose if you ask me. The idea of serving God and doing what he says and not being free to make your own purpose sounds very similar to alien food. That the justification of your life comes from sacrifice and subservience to something else. Not you and your own goals.

I'm talking about the rational explanation of why there is a universe to begin with. That example you provided seems poorly constructed, because it relates to an occurance within the existent of our universe, but it does not explain the reason for the universe to begin with, and it also opens the door for more questions of the same manner (if this aliens come from another universe, what is the purpose of their universe or of the network of universes, and so on and so on).

The little we know, is about our biological purpose, of replicating our species. But we know nothing of the meaning behind why our species, our planet, our universe, or anything else that may exist, yet to exist, or caesed to exist.

And don't even get me started on consequences for our actions. The idea of punishing people by sending them hell for eternity is already unjust and it's a logical fallacy by appealing to force. And the idea of having to scare people to moral, or to force them to moral instead of reasoning with them that morality is a good thing and beneficial to them is another bad thing. And to say that there are no consequences to our actions without the belief of God is absurd. Immoral people in this life do suffer the consequences. Especially in free countries where we have separated state from church and have punished them for their wrongdoings. And even if they arne't punished, peoople who are immoral from a perspective that everyone can agree on (they lie, steal, cheat, etc) they don't live good lives. They pay for it because their life adds up to nothing.

Not really, immoral people in this life are subject to social punishment, if their deeds are discovered. But those are escapable, avoidable, of easy to cover up. The idea of a supreme moral hierarchy that provides unescapable punishment does act as a deterrant for what we concieve as horrible malefic deeds.

Again, we can go to the acts of genocide and extermination that occured in the 20th century at the hands of atheists. If there is no hell, and no moral consequence, and some men are naturally superior to others (in their perspective), why not just exterminate the lesser men?

All well and good for the past. Religion was the first form of philosophy for humans. But we have progressed. There are better and more updated philosophies, and those that still continue to be religious are not updated.

And also, just because we can't answer such questions doesn't mean we turn to faith when we cannot explain. That opens the door to going against reality. To not living in accordance to the facts. Which is anti-life and destructive.

Only to humans who are mindless and unthinking. Who just want a philosophy with the answers made for them without really understanding why those answers work.

Quite the contrary, most beliefs that discard religion are exactly what goes against life. Because it means humans beings then can decide upon what is right and what is wrong, and thus everything is subjected to the personal view of humans. This is why I use the argument of abortion as an example.

Abortionists don't believe a human fetus that is 5 months, is to be considered a person. By scientific standards, they might be right, because a fetus does not have concious and is dependant on its host. So... why not kill it? I mean if there is no moral consequence, just why not?

When you remove the idea of God, which is a natural occurance, humans beings simply replace it with other forms. In most cases this takes the form of a governing body that relates all decisions. This why for example Richar Dawkins ideal form of goverment is that of a body of scientists who makes all the decisions for everyone else, because they are better.

I'm sorry, but this updated and better philosophies, promoted by atheists, don't seem very peaceful. They seem very harmful to life and individual integrity. And even when you try to make them work, it devolves into the same old line of thinking.

A darwinian world works that way. Atheism leads you, inevitably to that. I mean, in the natural world, life isn't sacred. Thus believing this can somehow lead you to a more peaceful way of life, seems contradictory.

It's not unnatural. It's fact.

It's true that some humans are above others in character, achievement, wealth, and virtue. It's irrational to think that everyone is equal :lol:

Some humans are superior to others and they should take pride in their superiority compared to those who are inferior.

Mozart is certainly better than any average joe composer.

Michaelangelo is certainly better than any painter that watched one Bob Ross video.

Jeff Bezos is better than just about any other businessman.

Ayn Rand is a better author and philosopher than just about any other author or philosopher.

Nothing wrong with arrogance when it's a fact that you are better than everyone else.

So why not kill everyone else, let only those people reproduce so humanity becomes the best of the best? There is no moral consequence to it, because there is no God, and any sort of thinking of that manner is to be discarded.

AppLeo

Faith isn't the only precursor to violence though. There was a study done that correlated income inequality with violent crime. It was a strong enough correlation that it basically amounted to "income inequality IS violent crime." The bloodiest century in recorded human history is also the most atheistic. We saw two world wars fought in the 1900s, and these wars were not fought on religious grounds.

Income inequality does not translate into violence.

And I didn't say religion was the only one. I'm just saying that faith leads to force. As it always does.

Plenty of religions do not have a anthropomorphic God at its helm. In fact, those of very high spiritual attainment report quite abstract renditions of what they experience during mystical union. Invisible man in the sky isn't the consensus on what those heavily involved in Religion and Mysticism experience.

They report ******** that can't be proven with evidence.

conspiracy theorist

There are in a couple of religions the obvious demarcation on the approaches toward the divine. In Hinduism for instance, where the classical paths were karma, bhakti and jnana. Jnana would be the path of those who are more intellectually inclined and need an approach that agrees with their reason oriented and analytical personality.

Dirius

Disagree. Fallacious argument. Atheism has nothing to do with morality. Atheists can be good or bad people.

And just because it's boring doesn't mean it's wrong :lol:

I think math is boring but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be practiced in my life.

Religion, on the other hand, does lead to violence at the end of the day. It always will lead to violence because religion is on the ground of faith.

Well 87% of all atheist view abortions as good, even late term abortions. It is accurate to say that atheism does lead you to the destruction of life, one way or the other.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-family/atheist/views-about-abortion/

conspiracy theorist

Income inequality does not translate into violence.

And I didn't say religion was the only one. I'm just saying that faith leads to force. As it always does.

They report ******** that can't be proven with evidence.

The studies are out there for anyone who wants to verify what I say.

Faith leading to force isn't inevitable. Didn't you also say that a Christian ethos is also based on self-sacrifice? This could easily result in pacifism. Which many see as the ideal way to live their lives as Christians.

conspiracy theorist

At the top of the kabbalistic tree of life, which shows a "diagram of existence" is "Ein Sof". Existence began out of nothingness, divine infinity 'without end'. This is Jewish mysticism, and your conception of the universe is in line with their view, Appleo.

AppLeo

I'm talking about the rational explanation of why there is a universe to begin with. That example you provided seems poorly constructed, because it relates to an occurance within the existent of our universe, but it does not explain the reason for the universe to begin with, and it also opens the door for more questions of the same manner (if this aliens come from another universe, what is the purpose of their universe or of the network of universes, and so on and so on).

It's irrational to ask why there is a universe. Existence exists because it exists. There's no reason why it exists, it just does.

The little we know, is about our biological purpose, of replicating our species. But we know nothing of the meaning behind why our species, our planet, our universe, or anything else that may exist, yet to exist, or caesed to exist.

There is no real meaning behind it.

Not really, immoral people in this life are subject to social punishment, if their deeds are discovered. But those are escapable, avoidable, of easy to cover up. The idea of a supreme moral hierarchy that provides unescapable punishment does act as a deterrant for what we concieve as horrible malefic deeds.

And their deeds are always discovered. And if they aren't discovered, they could've achieved so much more in life if they chose a virtuous path. Lying and cheating really doesn't get you far, honestly.

A robber for example that never gets caught might do pretty well for himself, but he probably has to move all the time, constantly is worried about getting found out, doesn't have good friends or family to rely on since people who steal only attract other people who steal, or people who are too weak to avoid getting stolen from, if he has a conscience he'll be miserable because he knows he's not a good person, etc... and that's assuming he doesn't get found out. If you make a living by stealing from people it's inevitable that people will find out and will punish you for it.

Again, we can go to the acts of genocide and extermination that occured in the 20th century at the hands of atheists. If there is no hell, and no moral consequence, and some men are naturally superior to others (in their perspective), why not just exterminate the lesser men?

I don't understand how being an atheist would make you think that you should kill whoever you want. There's no reason to kill them unless they are harming you or people you love. And yes, people can actually be moral without God. Explain how Christians can pick and choose from the bible??? They know what is right or wrong simply from the little reason they exercise.

Quite the contrary, most beliefs that discard religion are exactly what goes against life. Because it means humans beings then can decide upon what is right and what is wrong, and thus everything is subjected to the personal view of humans. This is why I use the argument of abortion as an example.

We already decide what is right and wrong. The people that wrote the bible, hate to break it to you, didn't write it because God told them. They made up their own morals and pretended that God told them.

Abortionists don't believe a human fetus that is 5 months, is to be considered a person. By scientific standards, they might be right, because a fetus does not have concious and is dependant on its host. So... why not kill it? I mean if there is no moral consequence, just why not?

I agree, why keep a growing cancer in your body if you don't want it. You shouldn't keep it. Religion forces you to keep something you don't want. What a bunch of nonsense.

When you remove the idea of God, which is a natural occurance, humans beings simply replace it with other forms. In most cases this takes the form of a governing body that relates all decisions. This why for example Richar Dawkins ideal form of goverment is that of a body of scientists who makes all the decisions for everyone else, because they are better.

Not true. People always have the choice to think for themselves if they choose to. I don't see how believing in God is any better or any different than believing in the state. You should be jsut as critical of religion if not more so because a religious authority figure doesn't even exist.

I'm sorry, but this updated and better philosophies, promoted by atheists, don't seem very peaceful. They seem very harmful to life and individual integrity. And even when you try to make them work, it devolves into the same old line of thinking.

Oh really? What makes you say so?

A darwinian world works that way. Atheism leads you, inevitably to that. I mean, in the natural world, life isn't sacred. Thus believing this can somehow lead you to a more peaceful way of life, seems contradictory.

Not true. Atheism doesn't lead you to that.

So why not kill everyone else, let only those people reproduce so humanity becomes the best of the best? There is no moral consequence to it, because there is no God, and any sort of thinking of that manner is to be discarded.

There's many reasons to not kill inferior people. My first reason, you respect their life because you expect them to respect your right to life.

The more people there are, living freely, the better the world is not only other's but for you too. Killing people doesn't help you.

Last edited:

AppLeo

AppLeo

The studies are out there for anyone who wants to verify what I say.

Faith leading to force isn't inevitable. Didn't you also say that a Christian ethos is also based on self-sacrifice? This could easily result in pacifism. Which many see as the ideal way to live their lives as Christians.

It's not ideal to sacrifice yourself because sacrificing yourself is anti-life, like literally anti-life. If you value your life and happiness, Christian ethics would be the wrong morality to follow.

AppLeo

At the top of the kabbalistic tree of life, which shows a "diagram of existence" is "Ein Sof". Existence began out of nothingness, divine infinity 'without end'. This is Jewish mysticism, and your conception of the universe is in line with their view, Appleo.

No, I said existence is eternal. It didn't begin out of nothingness.

How can something come from nothing? It's impossible.