Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Ukpoohbear

Well Sagittarius makes sense for me anyway but I’ve given myself the title, I did invent it so it should be called The Laureate of Pooh.

Chrysalis

Prove it! :lol:

The reason why i say God (i refuse to put this word in capitals) doesn't exist...is because, there is only supposed to be ONE God. So why so many different religions with different beliefs/different gods ?
why is god supposed to be white, when there is a multitude of colors/cultures ?
Why is god supposed to be male when we have males/females ?
Why why why why why ?

I got a slap on the back of the head from my religious teacher at primary school for asking these kinds of questions :biggrin: Because she obviously didnt know the answer herself.

david starling

The reason why i say God (i refuse to put this word in capitals) doesn't exist...is because, there is only supposed to be ONE God. So why so many different religions with different beliefs/different gods ?
why is god supposed to be white, when there is a multitude of colors/cultures ?
Why is god supposed to be male when we have males/females ?
Why why why why why ?

I got a slap on the back of the head from my religious teacher at primary school for asking these kinds of questions :biggrin: Because she obviously didnt know the answer herself.

Polytheism gets no respect these days.

Ukpoohbear

A quote I found tonight I really liked was ‘Hollywood didn’t kill Marilyn Monroe. The Monroe’s killed Hollywood.’

At first it seems a bit misogynistic but actually it’s true because Hollywood was full of these types of men and it’s especially relevant with the recent Weinstein scandal. Marilyn Monroe was hated by Hollywood but the public loved her, and she wasn’t the first woman to make her own production company, but as a Lilithian, she fought her ground against the resentment she faced and became in her death a spiritual emblem. She is bigger than Hollywood!

Chrysalis

I don't know how anyone can still assume, there is a male being in the sky sitting on a cloud, looking down on us called god.

To me it doesn't make any rational sense.

I personally think we are all being controlled by :alien::alien::alien:

Dirius

If you're a reasonable person, you have LOGICAL CONCLUSIONS and EVIDENCE for why you believe in something. Faith is assuming you know something without evidence. There's nothing reasonable about it. It's anti-thinking. And as I said before, those who rely on faith will have to resort violence because they can't prove to others the validity of their beliefs.

You know the islam extremists? They have faith in whatever nonsense they believe. That by blowing themselves along with other people they think they'll be rewarded in the afterlife. That's faith at its worse. evil evil evil

Evidence is an after the fact proof, done by experimenting with the hypothesis provided by a logical conclusion. A logical conclusion is just an observation that can seem valid, without being so. The theory of telegony had logical conclusions, and minor evidence and turned out to be false. Thus, it wasn't very intelligent, was it? It still seemed reasonable to the individuals that developed the theory.

Religion is based on conclusions about the nature of our existance for which we have still found no reasoning at all (despite the idea that our existance has no purpose), which I agree that may not lead to satisfactory results at the end of the day, but just like any scientifical hypothesis, it works until someone can disprove it: for most of human theory, Aristotle's model of the universe (which was based on logical conclusions) was the prevailing theorem, until it was disproven by Galileo's model, which he in turned was displaced by Einstein's theory of relativity.

As for the idea of violence, this is an attriubte of human life regardless of religion, but inherent to any kind of ideology. A number of atheist states such as North Korea, the Soviet Union, China, who were not religious commited atrocities around the world, imposing their views. But their views were based on logical conclusions.
Having faith in a God that has you believe to have so much power that you can't even prove to yourself is very different from a conviction regarding a scientific theory. To believe that an invisible man will either send you to heaven or hell for not following his 10 commandments that you cannot argue against or find any rational reasons for why you should follow them is just dumb. String theory actually proposes some good reasons for why it could possibly be true.

That is a dogmatic aspect of religion, which is based on rules about how to practice your faith. String theory proposes reasons as to why it may be true, but all we have is an incomplete mathematical model that has not shown it to be true. Thus, you are subjugating reasons to the idea that something must be true because you really believe in it.

No, it actually is unreasonable, illogical, and just stupid.

If you are a man of reason, you dispense with religion. People of reason are not divided on subjects like this because all of them look at the evidence and don't turn to faith when they can't explain something.

To believe that something that didn't exist, that something outside of existence, literally nothing, created something. How does something come from nothing? That's illogical.

And on top of it, Gods that the Christians or Muslims describe is a God that makes no sense if he actually did create the universe. Homosexuality is wrong, and these God's provide no good reasons for why it's wrong.

The cosmos created by a grand designer? What would a cosmos be like with a bad design? There is no such thing. A cosmos that didn't make logical sense and contradicted itself couldn't exist. Our sense of order comes from observing reality for what it is.

The most renowned men on earth. From the ancient greek phylosophers, to the reinassance thinkers, to the founding fathers of the U.S, have been religious in nature. A number of sicentists of our modern age are too. Somehow you deminish them by calling them stupid, in contrast to whom? The most renowned atheist on earth have been responsible for most atrocities against human kind. So calling them stupid, doesn't seem very logical.

You said a cosmos that did not operate under logical laws wouldn't be able to exist. So first you are making assumptions under your own personal hypothesis, you are not providing evidence of what you said, but you are sure thats the case? So you have faith such universe wouldn't be able to exist out of randomness?

As for the question on the issue of homosexuality, that has to do with historical context. The bible was written by humans. Homosexuality was seen as detrimental to the survival of a society, because tribes and nations had to keep a high birth rate (child mortality was high) in order for the society to survive, thus the reason why most ancient societies view homosexuality as a problem. The ancient nations that did not suffer this problem, given their high number populations (such as the roman republic) didn't need to hold this view. But this is a socio-political issue of ancient time, not religious in nature. Remember that for ancient societies, religion and politics tended to blend.

david starling

I don't know how anyone can still assume, there is a male being in the sky sitting on a cloud, looking down on us called god.

To me it doesn't make any rational sense.

I personally think we are all being controlled by :alien::alien::alien:

Zeus/Jupiter is the role model for the prevailing version of what God looks like. Maybe Zeupiter is an alien!