Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

Munch

never use astrology to avoid taking responsibility for your faults......if others find you agressive, it's due to you behaving aggressively rather than because you have a pluto/mars/uranus/asc conjunction.....use astrology to identify and change your inappropriate behaviour rather than to explain or justify it.

i love this!

ilovevenus

Nice thread!

When I research different sites for chart interpretations I see many times that in interpreting so-called negative aspects, astrologers tend to make finalized statements. For example: "This is a difficult aspect for fostering an out-of-control temper. Be aware of this very unappealing potential."

Astrology is a TEACHING TOOL.

The planetary influences aren't set in stone. We're not doomed in life if we have negative aspects in our charts. Astrology is meant to show us our potentials and our opportunity for growth in life—which usually shows up as difficult aspects in our charts—and is meant to guide us in moving past our obstacles.

Astrology should be interpreted in a way that teaches us how to overcome our difficulties when we are presented with negative aspects in our charts.
If you're telling your clients that their particular planetary aspect has an unappealing potential, instead of ending it there, show them how they can overcome the negative influence and move past their obstacles so that they can grow as a person.

Sebastien Cheritte

Never form a conviction of someone as contemptible or otherwise on the grounds of their chart configuration alone, which is an erroneous action.
- ImNotThere9

isn't that just OUTRIGHT annoying!!!!??
there are Senior members in here with over 1000 posts that are FAMOUS for this!

Never try to disprove someone on the count of your experience!!!
your experience is a twinkle on the grand scale of this craft if you're using it to pick people apart. Being an astrologer for 30 years and not knowing how to "feel" anything makes you a "titlist". Astrology in this era isn't a couple of degrees, angles and planets that make connections so you can assemble a theory using logic alone. There is a deep dark world of knowledge, one that shows itself according to how ready the student is.

Sebastien Cheritte

rigourous logic.

besides your spelling error, I can only agree with one point you make, but just to a point and no further.
Astrology has no credit. True. but not because those who are now enjoying the colorful variations of interpretation after almost no study in a university at all, because that's called self-knowledge, and freedom to be flexible, but because it's a study beyond the mind, and beyond logic and there where matters become 'felt', is no longer the traditional nor modern study of astrology, but a new integration of the understanding of universal energy.

Never use logic alone

Last edited:

RayAustin

The anti-intellectualist movement is popular because it makes it easier for one to claim to be an astrologer. :smile: It's really disdainful, no offense, to see people who claim to be astrologers for decades or claim to be professionals and have no idea how to work with traditional MOST important concepts such as dignity/debility; reception, etc; which completely changes the meanings of aspects !

Astrology has always been an intellectual science that the greatest of ancient minds practiced; and the need for such intellectual prowess is the reason why it, astrology, has been ascribed to Mercury. So people who harp on those who use logic as if its something cold to do--that's how it's meant to be practiced, and has been for thousands of years. Like a science you approach it from a logical standpoint to get the BEST answers. If you don't, astrology has NO credibility and is why it has the frivolous reputation it has these days. Intuition has never been a principle of what it is to be an astrologer because we are supposed to let the planets do the speaking, not ourselves! :smile:

And no, this opinion has nothing to do with my personal 'approach'. Regardless if you're a Pisces, or Capricorn, if you don't have any logic to base your reasoning on, then what are you actually trying to prove and how can you prove it? :annoyed:

:smile:

BobZemco

if you do not have a firm foundation in the logic and philosophy of astrology, you're not going to understand it.

There's about 5,000 people on this forum who might benefit by writing that statement 100,000 times.

If it were possible to 'intuit' a chart, then all those maths wouldn't be necessary. I grant that when you know the concepts well enough sometimes you 'get' something from a chart before your conscious mind is quite aware of how you get it, but you'll still find it in the chart if you look. And if you don't - then your intuition is worthless.

That isn't intuition, that is rote learning.

After reading a few thousand charts you begin to see patterns, signatures and themes based on Planet placement, aspects and Signs. That isn't intuition, that is training and experience. That is why Lily (and others) said you should write out your judgments, because that's the fastest and best way to learn, since writing reinforces what you see.

I've really wondered about the anti-intellectualist movement in astrology over the past some decades, and I don't understand why it's so prominent. Yet - it is.

That's the generational Planets talking. It's more prominent in the US, but people in other countries can be affected, too. They are into expediency and taking short-cuts and they have no time and don't want to be bothered learning craft or "paying dues" or "putting in the time." They want everything handed to them on a silver platter and they are constantly in search of the "Magic Silver Bullet Formula."

You see that all the time, especially on this forum.

People ask about the promise of marriage in a natal chart, you explain the Houses, Signs and Planets involved, and then they start frothing and foaming at the mouth, "What? You mean I actually really have to spend an hour of my time looking at the chart and I have to interpret the Planets, Signs and Houses involved?

Um, yeah, that's exactly what you have to do, so you better get started.

My favorite is, "I know the names of the most of the Planets, now I want to learn Horary."

Yeah, right, that's like someone who just learned how to count from 1 to 10 asking to learn differential calculus. Then they get offended because they don't like your interpretation: "But my significator is trine." Yes, and it's also Cadent, Retrograde, Peregrine, in Detriment, in a Welled Degree and not received (and of course they have no idea what you're talking about because they still don't know the difference between a Cadent House and an Angular House).

Astrology is a lifetime study, and then some.

Of course. Even if you specialize or concentrate in one area of astrology, there's always something new to learn.

C0rnholio said:
Do not forget that we as humans have such thing as Free Will.

Well, no, actually you don't. You have limited Free Will. You can choose what to eat for breakfast or dinner, and a few other banal, trivial and inconsequential things, but that's about it. Your life is predetermined.

When the end is known, you will have done everything the Planets said you would (or would not) do exactly for the reasons the Planets divined, and the Primary Directions, Profections, Secondary Progressions and Transits will bear that out and prove it beyond any doubt.

If that was not true, then there would be no point in studying astrology.

Sebastien Cheritte

Imagine having to argue (using words) with every intellectual snob (Hermes is smiling) about the proportions (logic) of astrology (???) and it's purpose. :D

That's taking into consideration that not everyone is a scribe (so there will be a variation in the argument, some will even be illogical, some will be creative and some will be intuitive) not everyone is a wordsmith (so there will be words used as means to twist the context while creating many degrees of the same truth) and not everyone is of the fabric of intelligence the majority of these snobs choose to draw from one tiny little planet, having all forgotten the essence of the minor is only made revolutionary in the major, not before - otherwise its just recycling information.

This simply means Mercury runs everything, until further notice - and it never comes.
So 'quick' he truly absorbs nothing.

Talking about paying dues or taking short cuts Bob. Not everyone on this planet is a work horse, or has to be - not for study or otherwise, but granted that most of us have to, those of us who don't will immediately become victims of accusations about our level of intelligence or the validity of our wisdom based on majority vote. Intelligence my friends, isn't measured only by 'study' or years of education, and massive influx of information in script form or calculus, endless testing or experimentation. No. Intelligence is something far brighter, more simple and a lot less boring!!
but then again, when you leave the empirical populous to its devices, no one is ever enough, and everything is always complicated! IMO
That which is little must be made more - (isn't that how capitalism started? similarly to those 'intellectuals' having to own words).
That only disobeys the laws of nature.
And might I remind you all, that the years when astrology was still at the gates of the next era, there was much to be discarded before moving along, that's why most information was done away with! And much more to be learned inside before there could be a manifestation of harmony; thus astrology is the study of what's inside, through an interest in the outside, yet it's become tainted by you lot and the pressing need to be right!
Anyway, I can't expect any of you 1000 and more posts to listen, the ego in this room is far more massive than the big brains will allow any of you to see, that is why there is need for a list of do's and don't anyway.

My addition to this list was one of compassion.

Speaking of compassion...

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

RayAustin

And might I remind you all, that the years when astrology was still at the gates of the next era, there was much to be discarded before moving along, that's why most information was done away with!
Are you familiar with all this material that you're willing to throw away? With any of it besides perhaps a bad paraphrase or three you've read somewhere about the bad old days? Do your clients ask you different questions now? Are they no longer concerned with things like love, and career, and family, and health?

Exactly! It's not arrogant to feel superior to the old ways that they need to be thrown out? I have a lot of contempt for those who don't appreciate the origins and traditions of astrology, who feel things have changed so much that we can just 're-write astrology' and throw things out.

Who and what gets to decide what gets to be thrown out, and do they even have any comprehension of it? No they don't. Old texts are still being discovered. That's far more arrogant; and lots of dead astrologers are rolling in their grave right now. :biggrin:

In summary.. don't try to rewrite astrology without having respect for the tradition. :smile:

RayAustin

Interesting that you say this...

Imo, ofcourse traditionalists are elitist. It takes a lot of ego for someone to look at my chart and say that my life will be terrible and hopeless.
And then you say that:

People have different astrological perspectives, we should be okay with that

Fanning the flames and then putting out the fire? Contradictory much?
:tongue:

Not saying you are referring to me, this is to anyone who reads; I'm not a traditional astrologer, only an astrologer humble enough to respect more credible work then new schools that cropped up in the last century so. :smile:
r.a.

What Astrology Can and Can Not Do
http://www.ofspirit.com/susanmiller1.htm
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234549&postcount=7

Perhaps you should read this thread entitled: astrology predicts meanings, not events
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17546&page=2

Astrology can be used to help you in many ways. It can reveal damaging behavioral patterns or forewarn you of upcoming challenges. It can help you pinpoint latent talents you may possess and provide you with specific hints on how to best develop them. Astrology can also point out expansive, rewarding trends that are coming up and assist you in figuring out how to take advantage of them before they fade. Finally, astrology is an excellent means to determine the perfect timing for certain actions. http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html

The beauty of astrology is that it will help you to always be in complete control of your life. Astrology is not fortune telling: but it is a recognition that we have free will. We know we are not controlled by the planets, but the planets do create a certain atmospheres of constriction or ease, that keeps us on our toes. Alas, you cannot blame the planets and say, for example, Saturn made me do it! The few times I have said this to an audience, most people laugh it does sound funny.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html

The planets work to help us help ourselves. By applying pressure, planets help us to overcome inertia. At other times, they help us to see unproductive or even self-destructive behavior that we may have never noticed before but that we can fix. Astrologers believe we must be accountable for our actions and to recognize that we do have choices. The study of astrology will help you sort out all your options and to act at the proper time. http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html
To read the full article just click on above link

Phil

My top Don't: Don't evangelize about astrology. Don't try to convince the skeptics. If someone is genuinely interested, explain, otherwise forget it. The only way to convince oneself is to study it and do it.

asteroid

Another one:

Never use your astrology blindly, but rather seek to use it in a creative way.
Astrology should not stop you from going through different life experiences, but rather be your guide to explore and understand what's going on. Such as refusing to go out with someone just because you saw some squares or oppositions in your synastry or like refusing to do something just because difficulties are foreseeable in the astrology chart. That is bad astrology! All astrology aspects can be used in a creative positive way (especially true for your soul).
Astrology is a complementary way to improve what you're already doing, not to replace what you're doing. Astrology is not spiritual by itself, but it can help you if you're already on the spiritual path.

You've got the whole notion of astrology!!
Another greast mistake is to memorize ready made interpretations from books and articles and use them as dictionary. Free will is so strong that we cannot guarantee how cosmic energies work through human individualities

thus we cannot read fully a chart without knowing one person at all

If an astrologer tells you that your life is predestined according to your astrological chart, get a second opinion from another astrologer.

Some people might want to feel that their life is predestined and believe that they have virtually no power. Others want to become aware of the inner workings of their psyche in order to grow and transcend. Different astrologers for different people.

moonwillow

Thank you for all the Don'ts. I really appreciate it. my interest in astrology has only just peaked (for the lack of a better word). I am just curious about the whys and wherefores, specificall at it would relate to me. Also meeting like minded individuals. So far I am pretty impressed. you all seem really nice.

bluesage

Have neat appearance, good hygeine, Smile.

I work face to face with all my clients.

It`s a result of my Cardwork, builds Intuition and Spontenaity.

Last edited:

Claire19

Don't get so caught up in your transits/progressions/solar arcs/returns that you forget how to live your life.

I have seen some of my friends almost become 'paralyzed' by all of the astrological data they live by. Sometimes a little goes a long way. Obviously it is nice to keep an eye on the outer planets as they dance their way around your houses. But it may be too much information to know exactly where mercury and the moon are each and every day. :whistling:
Yes especially as many make the mistake of thinking that transits and progressions without a natal echo or support are significant when they are not... I think to look back on the influences once the event has occurred is a lot more telling. You rule your chart, the chart does not rule you.

Claire19

If an astrologer tells you that your life is predestined according to your astrological chart, get a second opinion from another astrologer.

Some people might want to feel that their life is predestined and believe that they have virtually no power. Others want to become aware of the inner workings of their psyche in order to grow and transcend. Different astrologers for different people.
Yes some prefer to leave things to the stars and fate as they call it.
We do have free will and choice and of course have to make decisions and take responsibility for ourselves. Life may be predestined in some ways but dont we ultimately act as our character dictates and yes we do have to deal with our karma, both good and bad but an enlightened astrologer will tell you the positive effects of even a challenging chart aspect...