'Easy' Opposition / Square Etc.

dr. farr

Only thing along these lines I can think of, is from Vedic astrology: there, the quality of the aspect depends almost entirely upon the quality of the planets invoolved in that aspect; eg, an opposition between 2 net-benefic planets would be a + aspect; a trine between 2 net-malefic planets would be a - aspect (this reminds me somewhat of the allusions in the Hellenist literature to "+ (ie benefic) squares"...)

Zarathu

Account Closed
If you want to know how to determin how easy the aspect is, you will have to produce a chart. Every chart is different.

Astrodynes is a system that will work, but my experience here is that most people try to use in in a linear non-dynamic ways aif its a silver bullet and if you do that, it simply won't work. Every chart is different, and astrodynes shows that about as clearly as you can get.

There is no simplver bullet for this.

byjove

Account Closed
Zarathu, regarding the term easy, I don't mean it in a general sense - there exists the terms 'easy opposition' / square / trine and it's a configuration rather than a subjective observation. I think we may have crossed wires there! :whistling:

I've seen sometimes in chart analysis the terms 'an easy opposition', 'easy square', 'easy trine'. I think it's say, in the case of the opposition, where one planet in the opposition then has a trine or sextile to a third planet which, I think might be a source of relief for the opposition. I don't know anything beyond that.

When I searched it on google I found a few - not many, references to it here as a mini point in chart questions, but I still haven't found any explanation on it. I wonder is it a viable source of relief in cases of difficult planetary contact or grander configurations. Or, does it deflate opportunity perhaps.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Zarathu, regarding the term easy, I don't mean it in a general sense - there exists the terms 'easy opposition' / square / trine and it's a configuration rather than a subjective observation. I think we may have crossed wires there! :whistling:

I've seen sometimes in chart analysis the terms 'an easy opposition', 'easy square', 'easy trine'. I think it's say, in the case of the opposition, where one planet in the opposition then has a trine or sextile to a third planet which, I think might be a source of relief for the opposition. I don't know anything beyond that.

When I searched it on google I found a few - not many, references to it here as a mini point in chart questions, but I still haven't found any explanation on it. I wonder is it a viable source of relief in cases of difficult planetary contact or grander configurations. Or, does it deflate opportunity perhaps.

Can you post a chart which defines what you are talking aobut?

byjove

Account Closed
I found a chart here posted with an 'easy opposition'. I don't know if it's OK that I post their chart here so I'll link it to be safe.

As it happens, our very own Tim commented on the config. If we're lucky he might drop in and tell us more about it.

http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/df15f670-21de-46bb-84f7-f95a427c4f1a

I just found a book (Alan Oken's Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology) referencing this regarding the chart of Boy George:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1ch...v=onepage&q=easy opposition astrology&f=false

Easy Opposition
According to author Alan Oken in his book Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology, this opposition is mediated by a third planet that trines one planet and sextiles the other. So the requirement is already higher.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
OK... so its a phrase to describe a pattern, like a Cardinal T-Square.

IMO, its a bad phrase, because it implies that its easy. No opposition is easy, IMO.

And in this particular case, this opposition is the second highest friction and power producing opposition in the noted chart. There is nothing easy about resolving it for this person.

Krewster

Couldn't find the mentioned chart image(s) but:

-isn't the discussed 120-180-60 the most common config statistically? (I could do a visual count of cast charts and, right, maybe the minor trine is equally common) - it is not only one-half of a classic rectangle as mentioned in that thread but just as much viewed as one-half of a classic Kite.

-isn't it embarrassing that there seems to be differences of opinion concerning whether "pinching a 180 string" at the 1/3-2/3's point mitigates or exacerbates (or not) the oppo? (there's little difference of opinion about the effect of pinching a 180 string at the 1/2-1/2 point is there...?...i.e., it makes things worse...so it seems the most understandable rationale for not assuming the "easy" is true, would be the approach that "it depends on the planets involved").

Not sure yet...still fighting the "it depends on the planets" in hopes that configs are catalog-able abstract from any planets.

sworm09

What is this? I can't find anything on it.

Hi byjove,

The only talk I've heard of oppositions/squares being easy are in a few books I've read...and those books are somewhat sporadically placed throughout history. The most recent, and in my opinion, logical explanation of the concept comes from Avelar and Ribeiro's "On The Heavenly Spheres". It's a cool technique and I find that it's very helpful in interpreting aspects.

Here's how it works; in the book they show us a traditional lists of the friendships and enmities between the planets. In older texts you'll often see things like Venus is friends with this planet or enemies with that planet. Well, in the book, Avelar and Ribeiro put forth the idea that friendly planets get along even in hard aspect and planets that hate each other still fight against each other even in easy aspect.

Now this concept is based on each planet's nature. For example, Venus is friends with all of the planets except for Saturn. Venus is about comfort and love, Saturn is about distance and difficulty. It makes sense that they don't like one another.

In hard aspect, their hatred becomes obvious, and all relationships and comforts are colored by that Saturnian heaviness, but in this condition it's the worst of depression and impediment to relationships.

In soft aspect, the dislike is still present. Though they're working together, they still don't like one another, and thus the relationships will still be colored by Saturn's influence and that's still going to be difficult. This is what I would call a "hard" trine or sextile.

Going to what you mentioned (easy opposition/square), well, that would be between two planets that like each other. Let's use the Moon and Venus, both are feminine, nocturnal planets...one is about emotions, the other is about love. The two like one another and get along well.

In easy aspect...well, you can't get much better than that. These two planets are all over one another. Expect a soft, peaceful influence here. It's an easy easy aspect :wink:

But in hard aspect? Well...they still like each other. Despite the fact that they disagree, they're still friends, and we still get a soft, somewhat peaceful influence, and though it may be a little lazy, it's something that is pretty easily overcome. This is what I would call an "easy" opposition/square.

Now I don't know if that's what others are mentioning, but this is a system that I've found to be consistent and logical. Planets that get along always get along, even in square/opposition, and when they do, the hard aspect is "easier".

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Reception between two planets make difficult aspects easier to navigate or perfect. Especially if it is the heavier planet who receives the lighter one, or if one of the planets happens to be a malefic, you want that one to receive the other.

wilsontc

Staff member
Easy Opposition, to jove

jove,

You asked:
I found a chart here posted with an 'easy opposition'. I don't know if it's OK that I post their chart here so I'll link it to be safe. As it happens, our very own Tim commented on the config. If we're lucky he might drop in and tell us more about it...

Easy Opposition
According to author Alan Oken in his book Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology, this opposition is mediated by a third planet that trines one planet and sextiles the other. So the requirement is already higher.

The idea of an "easy" opposition is in contrast to a "hard" opposition. If there are two planets in opposition and a third planet squares both planets (a T-square) that is a "hard" opposition since all three planets have maximum stress (i.e., 2 squares and one opposition). If there are two planets in opposition and a third planet sextiles one planet and trines the other that is "easier" since the third planet has "easy" (i.e., trine and sextile) connections to it.

As has been mentioned, once you look beyond the aspects to the third planet, it is possible there are other astrological factors that cause stress on that third planet similar or greater to the stresses on the planets in opposition to each other.

Explaining,

Tim

kimbermoon

I would refer to the Kite Configuration as an example for this concept: here we have the opposition as the dynamic challenge, yet it is encased in a Grand Trine...along with 2 sextiles...mixed blessings? This might represent an easy opposition that can be resolved through the trine/sextile aspects...

Krewster

Wish there was a classic Kite among my familiars to serve up (but one's spine fails bec over 5 degrees and another's sextiles fail because more than 3-ish degrees).

The so-called mystic Rectangle could be useful for a similar discussion (if anyone has a real-well-known familiar with a tight one).

If mixing in minors, of course, there's tons more types of symmetrical, asymmetrical, homogenous and fusion Kites to explore (but the classic Kite and Rectangle are probably best for testing the whole hard vs. soft aspect interaction).

Humanitarian

An easy opposition is an opposition between 2 planets, and one planet has a sextile aspect with one and a trine aspect with another in the same opposition. An easy square? Probably a diamond pattern, since this pattern is a yod mixing with a cradle, with 2 floor planets in the cradle aspecting with the apex of that yod, making 2 squares to 2 other planets in that cradle.