mars in cancer- stress and depression

Yutah

Banned
Does mars cancer have other characteristics than being very emotional?

waybread

Please post your chart, and make sure it is legible and that we can read the degrees. It's hard to say anything based on one snippet of information.

Opal

Premium Member
They call Mars Cancer in detriment. It isn’t because it is weak there. It gives strength, and defensiveness to you, most particularly to those that you feel close to. I do have strong emotions, although most would not call me emotional. I listen closely, to what is said. I have learned to pick my battles, some, just roll your eyes and walk away.

Yes I have Mars in Cancer, some may see it as a detriment, I prefer to see it as a strength.

Like Waybread said though, without anymore information, that’s about it.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Does mars cancer have other characteristics than being very emotional?

Mars is the planet of energetic activity and assertivity,
Cancer is the Water element sign of expression of feeling.
Put Mars in Cancer and you get an effect of a red hot poker in water.

It can activate a strong stirring of inner feeling that can act positively or negatively, depending upon how hot or cold the water in the inner cauldron is.

Excellent towards releasing perspiration through steam from any sport activity, followed by a shower or the sauna.

Anything that 'warms the tummy', like a hot water bottle, or can be cuddled and embraced, or punched:wink:, like a bag, pillow or favourite soft toy. Especially when upset and steaming inside.... and is better than 'hitting out in response' or reaching out for the popcorn or ice cream for the comfort effect.

It will probably prefer hot,spicy food in preference to cucumbers in a cold salad.

It can create an active imagination through what it feels 'is', rather than what manifested events show or not show to be actually physically occuring (opposite Capricorn influences?).

It can have an impounding effect on gender factors. The male in the female or vice-versa, as well as that in the other which sets off the feelings.

If feelings are blocked through other factors, it can eventually open the water tap, that can turn into a waterfall.

If harshly aspected and in an astrological house concerned with physical health, watch out for the warning signs of impeding danger.

How Mars acts can depend a lot upon how Cancer's ruler, the moon, is situated.

Another Mars in Cancer.:smile:

Aniko

My ex-husband has Mars in Cancer and he is extremely sensitive but it manifests itself into aggression unfortunately. He is very aggressive and picks fights with everyone constantly. He does not deal with stress so well at all.

I can't speak to the stress and depression because a lot of planetary interactions can cause that reaction. I do think depression is more likely generally when connected to Saturn/Capricorn and moon/Cancer, but can show her ugly head with other planetary interactions. What I have noticed is that Mars is frustrated in Cancer and at the very least in some people can produce those who cry when they are angry. It's as if the anger has no direct way to express itself (hence depression, anger turned inwards) However the beauty of astrology is that it gives you the awareness to begin to work with it. So finding healthy ways to express anger, even if you don't have direct access to it could be great. sex, exercise, and anything physical are great ways to release pent up stress even if you don't have direct access or comfort with the angry feelings.

Thirdteenth

Ciao :love: Mind if I put two cents into this thread?

What I noticed about the people who have the sign of Cancer as the Mars placement is this need to protect what it is that they deem to be personal onto them, especially if it had to do with family members or even very close friends but again it is whoever they deemed to be close to them (even if they do not like someone. It is like “I can talk ill of them but you cannot sort of thing”). I get a really territorial sort of feeling from this placement. It is like they would be the sort of people if put in a friend group setting, they would not be so open to a new person coming into this group because it would be an unfamiliar sort of energy to them. Also I always got a poking the bear sort of feeling from these people because they can get so angry or just really aggressive out of nowhere (like scary angry but I’m not scared because I’m used to combativeness). It isn’t sporadic, it is definitely...a build up but an unnecessary build up because a lot of stuff I find that they get upset about makes no sense (that is just my own perspective. Maybe cause I have such a strange way that I handle things lol). However, this defensiveness that a cancer Mars person has, I don’t feel like it would just be there just to be there but it had developed into that throughout their life somehow.

Opal

Premium Member
I think it strange that you don’t know what a Mars cancer is upset about. It is rarely not obvious.

Thirdteenth

Hi Opal! :joyful: What do you know, you’re a Cancer Mars native correct? Do you make your troubles known to those around? How does it manifest in your case Opal? If you did not mind sharing that to the thread, so there could be clearer understanding on all parts. That is okay if you do not want to as well. I will respect your decision.

Opal

Premium Member
Hi Opal! :joyful: What do you know, you’re a Cancer Mars native correct? Do you make your troubles known to those around? How does it manifest in your case Opal? If you did not mind sharing that to the thread, so there could be clearer understanding on all parts. That is okay if you do not want to as well. I will respect your decision.

Mostly, I am pretty patient. I am usually the person to greet a stranger in a crowd that they are unknown to. You really have to press my buttons to get me there. If you do get me there, it’s like, “why did you make me do that to you” I am mercury libra. Libra sun. Sun very square Mars.

Opal

Premium Member
Hi Thirdteenth,

I do not know, if you were reading my Clymer thread. If you were, you would have seen how well, I can control my composure. I was being personally attacked by someone who was intentionally trying to get me to argue, and trying to get themselves ejected from here. They never succeeded in making me lose my composure with them. But, in all honesty, the person was pming me, of their intentions. Very nice in the pm’s, I didn’t see all of his attacks on me in my thread, many were deleted by Osamenor while I was at work. Cancer Mars, can listen to a lot of negativity about themselves. They are more protective of others.

wan

I read that having Mars in any cardinal sign is significant. It gives the red planet strength, due to the cardinal energy.

waybread

Traditionally Mars is exalted in Capricorn, so it falls in Cancer. Mars is domiciled in Aries, so it is in detriment in Libra.

I think that idea works 50/50.

Opal

Premium Member
I read that having Mars in any cardinal sign is significant. It gives the red planet strength, due to the cardinal energy.

I feel, that it gives strength as I have it in Fall Cardinal Cancer.

Do others find large strength from their fall planets, or is it a Cardinal thing?

Osamenor

Staff member
I feel, that it gives strength as I have it in Fall Cardinal Cancer.

Do others find large strength from their fall planets, or is it a Cardinal thing?

I have two fall/detriment planets, one cardinal and one mutable. But house placement is also relevant. My cardinal signs are where my angular houses are, so anything there gets accidental dignity if not essential dignity.

The cardinal planet is Saturn, in Cancer, and it's my chart ruler, so yes, it's bound to be especially strong in my life. I'm less sure how my Venus in Virgo fits in. Strong? Weak? Some of both? It's also retrograde, which is another factor. My Saturn is direct.

Planets in fall or detriment can be strengths because we have to work on them. Their gifts don't come so easily and naturally. But the planets whose gifts do come easily and naturally are ones we can take for granted, get away with not working on, and then they might become a liability.

JUPITERASC

Does mars cancer have other characteristics
than being very emotional?
clearly, those who are "...very emotional..."
ARE NOT NECESSARILY
MARS CANCER natives

also
since CANCER is the "...domicile..." aka "...home..." of MOON
therefore
SIGN LOCATION of natives MOON :smile:
forms a major consideration
of the delineation
and it is important to keep in mind that
generalisation
although tempting, may prove unreliable
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121671

Mars completes 42 sidereal cycles
and

37 synodic cycles with 79 years.
It has retreating arcs of 16 degrees for 72 days.

MARS is burning and drying, malefic, masculine and nocturnal. Pyroeis makes those born under him red and white in complexion, tall, robust, gray-eyed, with thick hair, somewhat curly, having excess of hot and dry when morning rising, and red, of middle height, with small eyes, not much hair on the body, straight yellow hair, having excess of dry when evening rising, and in general, natural, grim, resourceful, passionate, drinking, turbulent, relentless, challenging and confident. MARS controls force, wars, robbery, screams, violence, the loss of property, whoring, banishment, exile, alienation from parents, captivity, corruption of women, abortions, sexual intercourse, the loss of good things, lies, vain hopes, violent theft, banditry, plundering, disputes between friends, wrath, fighting, verbal abuse, hatred, lawsuits, shouting, violent murder, slashing and bloodshed, attacks of fever, boils, burns, imprisonment, torture, courage, false oaths, wandering, decoration of clothing, excelling at villainy, those who work with fire and iron, artisans, masons, leadership, military service, high-ranking officers, soldiers, supremacists, hunting, wine, falling from heights and four-footed animals, poor vision, apoplexy and falling on the back, the muscular system, the urinary system, the lower gastrointestinal tract, weapons, iron, reddish colours and acid tastes. It is chronocrator over late adulthood up to the 56th year.

Bibliography:
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121654

The zodiac completes a sidereal cycle in 23.93446 hours.

The twelvefold circle has no beginning,

but it is so-held to begin with CANCER.

The image of the Crab is feminine, nocturnal, changeable, watery, amphibian, notable, silent, fertile, digging, with many limbs, two-coloured, rising backwards, lying and of the west wind. It indicates household, travel, obstacles, water and celebrations. Depending on the placement of the houseruler, men born under the influence of Cancer are small, popular, ambitious, wealthy, travelling and wandering because the Crab and the Moon do not walk straight, lavish, mindful, public, cheerful, with large face, wide head, sunken eyes, higher lower part of the body, crooked teeth, shaggy hair, dark, theatrical, constantly changing, luxurious, pleasure-loving, party-giving, unsteady of mind, getting involved in the many activities, saying one thing, but thinking another, hucksters, retailers, moneylenders, gardeners and those who cultivate plants.

Domicile of MOON, exaltation of Jupiter, depression of MARS, it controls the chest, the respiratory system, the upper gastrointestinal tract and the eyesight, especially the left eye. It causes skin diseases on account of the rough skin and blindness on account of the Beehive Cluster. It is like-empowered with Taurus and like-ascending with Libra, tall in the Northern Hemisphere and short in the Southern Hemisphere. It is summery, hot and dry for the north, and wintry, cold and moist for the south. Cancer commands Scorpio for the north and obeys it for the south. Cancer controls Noumidia, Carthage, Africa, Bithynia, Phrygia and Colchica. The back and the first two feet are rising up to the 7th degree, the next two feet and the Beehive Cluster up to the 13th, the head and the next two feet up to the 19th, the last two feet and the arms up to the 26th, and the pincers up to the 30th.

The first 7° belong to MARS - hostilities, dangers, travel
The next 6° belong to Venus - passionate, graceful
The next 6° belong to Mercury - intelligent, trade, speech
The next 7° belong to Jupiter - good fortune, some are religious
The final 4° belong to Saturn - irregular, restless

Eyes - Mercury and moderately MARS
Claws - Saturn and Mercury
Beehive Cluster - MARS and the MOON
Asellus Borealis and Asellus Australis - MARS and the Sun

Such, then, are the observations of the effects of the stars

as made by our predecessors.
Bibliography:
Ludwich, A. (Ed.). (1877). Maximi et Ammonis carminum De actionum auspiciis reliquiae: accedunt Anecdota astrologica. BG Teubneri. Retrieved from
https://archive.org/details/maximietammonisc00ludw/page/n3
Manilius, & Goold, G. P. (1985). Astronomica. BG Teubner.
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Schmidt, R. The Astrological Record of the Early Greek Sages. Project Hindsight.
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from
https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

Opal

Premium Member
I have two fall/detriment planets, one cardinal and one mutable. But house placement is also relevant. My cardinal signs are where my angular houses are, so anything there gets accidental dignity if not essential dignity.

The cardinal planet is Saturn, in Cancer, and it's my chart ruler, so yes, it's bound to be especially strong in my life. I'm less sure how my Venus in Virgo fits in. Strong? Weak? Some of both? It's also retrograde, which is another factor. My Saturn is direct.

Planets in fall or detriment can be strengths because we have to work on them. Their gifts don't come so easily and naturally. But the planets whose gifts do come easily and naturally are ones we can take for granted, get away with not working on, and then they might become a liability.

Just saw this Osamenor, I was gone for a couple months. I agree, the lessons learned, are more challenging. But, strength comes from them in the end.

Mine is in the 8th. Opposing Moon. Square Sun the Apex of a dissociate T-square.

wan

Just thought of one more thing:

Even though having Mars in its fall can be considered bad by some, to me it's not as bad as having a retrograde Mars. Retrograde planets are really difficult to handle. I personally have a retrograde Neptune and it hasn't been easy. And when it's Mars that is retrograde, I believe it will be even harder because of the nature of this planet. Mars needs to express and assert itself, and being retrograde kind of blocks that.

Last edited:

waybread

Wan, people with Mars retrograde tend to be very hard on themselves, because all of that natural aggression gets turned inward.

Mars rules athletes. It's interesting that golf great Tiger Woods was born with Mars retrograde. He is known for his "inner game." But also for a kind of Mars run amok: a fascination with the military (in which he never served,) cheating on his wife, and more recently driving well over the speed limit and causing an accident.

Mars is a good servant but a poor master.