Do I have an 8th house Stellium?

Spongebob

My Venus, Jupiter and Mercury are all in my 8th house.
There's different ideas of what a stellium is. Some people think they have to be conjunct each other at a tight orb; others think just three or more planets in the same house is a stellium.

Personally I'd call it a stellium.

ChildOfVenus

Ok thank you I don't know if mines are in conjunction.

28lxvfm.png

There's different ideas of what a stellium is. Some people think they have to be conjunct each other at a tight orb; others think just three or more planets in the same house is a stellium.

Personally I'd call it a stellium.

JUPITERASC

Ok thank you

I don't know if mines are in conjunction.

ChildOfVenus, the chart you posted shows PISCES VENUS
solo in the SIGN of PISCES

and
ARIES MERCURY conjunct ARIES JUPITER
therefore Venus is not conjunct Mercury and Jupiter becuase of being in the adjacent SIGN

using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES would highlight house location vividly :smile:

easily verify on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
that the house location of a natal planet can indeed change dependent on the house system chosen

On Extended Chart Selection Page there are fourteen options of the more popular house systems currently in use

Placidus is simply the default
to view for yourself how that works in practice
simply create your natal chart using Whole Sign Houses option
and compare your natal chart with the two formats

'...There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.
A planet in the SIGN of Aries was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites were definite power points
or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.....'

ChildOfVenus

Oh ok I see I read somewhere that having 3 or more planets in one house is a Stellium.
ChildOfVenus, the chart you posted shows PISCES VENUS
solo in the SIGN of PISCES

and
ARIES MERCURY conjunct ARIES JUPITER
therefore Venus is not conjunct Mercury and Jupiter becuase of being in the adjacent SIGN

using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES would highlight house location vividly :smile:

easily verify on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
that the house location of a natal planet can indeed change dependent on the house system chosen

On Extended Chart Selection Page there are fourteen options of the more popular house systems currently in use

Placidus is simply the default
to view for yourself how that works in practice
simply create your natal chart using Whole Sign Houses option
and compare your natal chart with the two formats

'...There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.
A planet in the SIGN of Aries was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites were definite power points
or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.....'

david starling

Yes you have an 8th house stellium. A stellium occurs when 3 or more planets are located in a house.

In Whole-sign House method, Jupiter and Mercury are in H9, while Venus is alone in H8. In Placidus, the method used here, all three Planets form a Stellium in H8. In either method, Jupiter, Mercury, and the North (Lunar)Node, are in Conjunction in Aries, with Venus alone, and not Conjunct in Pisces. The North Node (NN, symbol :northnode:) isn't included as a Stellium member, but some consider it highly significant wherever it's placed, and it's being closely Conjunct 2 Planets is unusual in my experience. Incidentally, Jupiter is considered by many to be fortunately-placed in H9.

Last edited:

ChildOfVenus

So does that mean I have a Stellium?
In Whole-sign House method, Jupiter and Mercury are in H9, while Venus is alone in H8. In Placidus, the method used here, all three Planets form a Stellium in H8. In either method, Jupiter, Mercury, and the North (Lunar)Node, are in Conjunction in Aries, with Venus alone, and not Conjunct in Pisces. The North Node (NN, symbol :northnode:) isn't included as a Stellium member, but some consider it highly significant wherever it's placed, and it's being closely Conjunct 2 Planets is unusual in my experience. Incidentally, Jupiter is considered by many to be fortunately-placed in H9.

sibylline

If a "Stellium" is based on the concept that 3 or more Planets conjoin to form a sort of hybrid "super-Planet", it seems like a tight Conjuntion would be necessary for that definition.

It isn't though, not the way I was taught and not the way I've seen it work. Though this topic is another one of those highly subjective areas. Some say it has to be four planets, and others say it has to be four and two of them can't be Mercury or Venus.

AppLeo

I see the North Node as a planet anyway.

And I count stelliums no matter what the house system because generally they're all in the same area.

david starling

And I count stelliums no matter what the house system because generally they're all in the same area.

Well, obviously not a "Planet" per se, but the NN ups the intensity of the Jupiter/Merc Conjuntion making it a Stellium-enhancer, whereby [IMO] just those two Planets alone could be considered a "Stellium". Venus being in another Sign should matter, because it's Inconjuct--even if it is in the same House in Placidus.

Horus

Why? The North Lunar Node is a calculated point, like the Vertex, Lots, etc. It marks where the Moon crossed the ecliptic above the horizon. There are nodes for all the other planets as well, the Moon's are just more commonly included. As a point it gives information and does not confer energy like a planet. Instead it is energized or activated by planets in transit or synastry, just like a house.

JUPITERASC

And I count stelliums no matter what the house system
because generally they're all in the same area.
There is no Exact Definition of Stellium

Not unexpectedly - it's a matter of opinion :smile:

Contemporary authorities are divided over minimum number of planets required to form a stellium.
In some sources a stellium is defined as four or more planets in a single sign/house
but in other sources it is defined as three or more planets in a sign/house.

ALAN OKEN says:

"...a stellium should involve no less than four planets”

JULIA AND DEREK PARKER define stellium as:

“....a group of planets — three or more — in one sign or house…”

Other sources prefer to remain more ambiguous about the exact number of planets involved.

For example, CELESTE TEAL simply defines it as:

“....a grouping of several planets in one sign or house”

david starling

Why? The North Lunar Node is a calculated point, like the Vertex, Lots, etc. It marks where the Moon crossed the ecliptic above the horizon. There are nodes for all the other planets as well, the Moon's are just more commonly included. As a point it gives information and does not confer energy like a planet. Instead it is energized or activated by planets in transit or synastry, just like a house.

[IMO] The Node FOCUSES Planetary-expression, thereby increasing its intensity. The Lunar Node is primary, because it involves an Earth-Sun-Moon interaction.

Last edited:

Horus

[IMO] The Node FOCUSES Planetary-expression, thereby increasing its intensity. The Lunar Node is primary, because it involves an Earth-Sun-Moon interaction.

There's no doubt that it's important -- heck as a karmic astrologer I start with these nodes, but I don't see it as holding any energy or intensity on its own. However, like the houses it has a planetary ruler (or modern co-rulers), and that's where its energy is held and expressing.

By all accounts, two planets and a node does not a stellium make. Stella =star, the planets were seen as "wandering stars" to the ancients. A stellium is simply a group of stars, and it takes at least three to have a group.

Last edited:

Horus