Is Astrology a Religion?

JUPITERASC

A+17th-century+fresco+from+the+Cathedral+of+Living+Pillar+in+Georgia+depicting+Jesus+within+the+Zodiac+circle.jpeg

GemwDepth

Account Closed
On a related subject, you know, I've actually been to Prague and seen the astrological clock. Couple questions.

1. Does anyone know the true history of that astrological clock? Most tourism literature or info has the true purpose obscured, plus I don't know Czech so I can't dig into native literature or culture.

2. Anyone here can speculate on the internal mechanism of that clock? How does it work so accurately?

david starling

I'd like to have an astrological watch, digital, but showing an analog clock-face with the major placements. Best of all, it would adjust the time and the Asc and M.C. positions for your current location! :cool:

david starling

You definitely don't have to have a mystical feeling about Astrology to practice it. Just as, one can practice Yoga in a purely secular manner, without being Hindu. :biggrin:

Bhairav

Yes. Religion is a doctrine, a cult, a “following”, that guide your life, your acts, your beliefs, your faith, your decisions, your options. It doesn’t matter if this “religion” comes from faith in a “god”, a group of people “doctrine”, or a random set of numbers, symbols, cards (Tarot for example), bones, rocks, etc, that can be interpreted as signs of vision of your future. If you really believe on that and guide your life based on such things, then, for you, astrology can be considered a religion. But astrology has nothing to do, you understand that, right? It is the same as see “images” at the end of the tea cup pieces of leaves.

david starling

Yes. Religion is a doctrine, a cult, a “following”, that guide your life, your acts, your beliefs, your faith, your decisions, your options. It doesn’t matter if this “religion” comes from faith in a “god”, a group of people “doctrine”, or a random set of numbers, symbols, cards (Tarot for example), bones, rocks, etc, that can be interpreted as signs of vision of your future. If you really believe on that and guide your life based on such things, then, for you, astrology can be considered a religion. But astrology has nothing to do, you understand that, right? It is the same as see “images” at the end of the tea cup pieces of leaves.

In that case, our Community is a "religious cult"! :biggrin:

GemwDepth

Account Closed
I'd like to have an astrological watch, digital, but showing an analog clock-face with the major placements. Best of all, it would adjust the time and the Asc and M.C. positions for your current location! :cool:

Oooh, that's actually super doable in a couple of years. All it requires is an app installation on your cell phone, you know there is probably an app like that already you can download. But for now, you'd just have to live with it on your cell!

CapAquaPis

I have a personal belief that a hypothetical planet between the orbits of two Aquarian planets Saturn and Uranus can influence generations. Either I call it Michael or Gabriel named for biblical archangels. When this hypothetical planet is in a sign for 6 years in its 72-year orbit, what kind of influence it will have on generations.

The last century.
Sagittarius 1898-1904: They were mostly of age to fight in WW1.
Capricorn 1904-10: They witnessed the rise of electronic technology.
Aquarius 1910-16: The generation strongly supported the New deal.
Pisces 1916-22: A strongly religious generation in the mid 20th century.

This century at the end of the last millennia.
Aries 1922-28: this generation came of age during a world war (WW2).
Taurus 1928-34: this generation came of age in the post-war economic boom.
Gemini 1934-40: this generation had witnessed the advent of television.
Cancer 1940-46: this generation was interested in gender equality.
Leo 1946-52: a powerful generation, part of the baby boomers (1946-64).
Virgo 1952-58: a generation emphasized environmentalism.
Libra 1958-64: a generation with a strong belief in civil rights.
Scorpio 1964-70: the first part of generation X who are cynical of politics.
Sagittarius 1970-76: they were able to take part in the Clinton era boom.
Capricorn 1976-82: the first generation to experience computers as kids.
Aquarius 1982-88: this generation came of age in the new millennia.
Pisces 1988-94: they will experience the biggest economic boom in US history.

And the new millennia.
Aries 1994-2000: they encounter difficulties in becoming independent as adults.
Taurus 2000-06: they redefined gender identity in this current social climate.
Gemini 2006-12: they grew up with iPhones and other tech gadgets.
Cancer 2012-18: what if they witness the first woman president in US history?

Last edited:

david starling

Just reviving this thread to take a look back at all the various opinions. I ended up considering astrology a philosophy that can interact with psychology, religion, and science. Doesn't have to, though.

CapAquaPis

Anyone having a Saturn conjunct or near IC (within 30') are less likely to move or doesn't move beyond their 10 km or 30 mile areas, my saturn is in my 3rd (Virgo) conjunct Jupiter and Mars, and they were all in retrograde.