Does Astrology Have Limits?

conspiracy theorist

Calm down friend. People questioning you about your position regarding scientific astrology is not the same as people rejecting scientific methods utilized in astrology. If you're going to propose a wholly scientific revolution of a subject that has a lot of metaphysics in it, then it's reasonable that persons would want to know how you're planning to achieve this, by way of figuring out your methods and philosophy underpinning it.

petosiris

Banned
Calm down friend. People questioning you about your position regarding scientific astrology is not the same as people rejecting scientific methods utilized in astrology. If you're going to propose a wholly scientific revolution of a subject that has a lot of metaphysics in it, then it's reasonable that persons would want to know how you're planning to achieve this, by way of figuring out your methods and philosophy underpinning it.

I was not trying to offend anybody, I was just trying to say that such thinking is of no importance to science. And I am going to mention this again, I got the wrong impression that this part of the forum is ''designed for applying scientific methods''???. Maybe the metaphysics of dry, wet, fire, water etc. are real, and there is something wrong or a conspiracy with scientific tests.

Either that is true, astrology is false, or we need a scientific revolution of the subject. I am hopeful that does not involve only confirmation bias, cold reading, apophenia, but atleast takes association and brain chemicals into account. But even if we are not perceived as a science, I think everyone would agree if divination is perceived as a positive or at least neutral phenomenon.

So if cognitive biases were the only current (because science does not prove things, it proves things wrong) known explanation and mechanism in science, at least that should be associated with positive correlation like religion (many studies), placebo (somewhat disputed) etc. Sound kinda boring compared to religion, I agree, but that is how it works.

Last edited:

Culpeper

Premium Member
Looking at this first post and having seem a multitude of similar ones. This is just going to be an attack on astrology and a time waster. The OP is not serious because they do not attempt to explain or answer the question themselves. This is just post to bate people and disrupt the forum.

Now to the question, although I do not know what the OP really wants. Astrology like chemistry, astronomy and geology is limited to its own area of study. I am not going to waste my time defining them. There are encyclopedia articles available to you for that. For astrology you can go through archives of this web site. But I keep seeing statements like, "I don't have time." or " It is to hard to do that." Astrology is like any science: it is a lot of study and work. If you are not willing to do that we cannot help you.

petosiris

Banned
Dude, astrology is not recognised as a science or even as a working phenomenon unlike chemistry, astronomy and geology. A quick glance at encyclopedia tell you it is either ''debunked'' or pseudoscience. I attack astrology, are you serious?

A moderator can close this thread, anyways this was such a time-waster.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Dude, astrology is not recognised as a science or even as a working phenomenon unlike chemistry, astronomy and geology. A quick glance at encyclopedia tell you it is either ''debunked'' or pseudoscience. I attack astrology, are you serious?

The moment people start expressing their own, differing from yours, opinions, you ask moderators to close the thread. Good one. Why did you title the thread as a question, if you already had a pre-decided answer and were not open to opposing views? Although my views on Astrology differ from Culpeper in that I do think it is a metaphysical and divine subject (not anything like Chemistry or physics), I do agree with them that this thread is a waste of time because the OP has not invested anytime in explaining their point of view, but rather in refuting that of others.

petosiris

Banned
The moment people start expressing their own, differing from yours, opinions, you ask moderators to close the thread. Good one. Why did you title the thread as a question, if you already had a pre-decided answer and were not open to opposing views? Although my views on Astrology differ from Culpeper in that I do think it is a metaphysical and divine subject (not anything like Chemistry or physics), I do agree with them that this thread is a waste of time because the OP has not invested anytime in explaining their point of view, but rather in refuting that of others.

Excuse me, I am going to mention this for the fourth time, I've misunderstood the topics discussed in this forum, I thought we were trying to make science out of astrology. I've merely stated some (with which I happen to agree) of the obvious criticisms of astrology, if you check my posts you will see I obviously practice astrology despite those. I am obviously playing a devil's advocate in some parts to stimulate a discussion, I was not trying to be offensive to you. I also believe astrology is inseparable from its metaphysical and religious connections. My list of the Seven planets associations include the respective chakra, Sephirah, gods, alchemical and many other correspondences I happen to believe in. So please, excuse me if I came across as arrogant or offensive, because that would be hypocritical as well.

However, I also believe we can work on an exoteric astrological explanation, something that is allowable in current science, and something everyone regardless of beliefs can accept.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

I will leave it to others to decide for themselves if the limits are with astrology or with the interpreter.
I only to say that everything, including astrology, has its limits. Perhaps as you note, it is based on the kinds of questions and fields of inquiry it may address. But it is still limited. And of course, this is just my opinion based on my human mind, temperment and experience. And while I love the heavens and beyond, I tend to lean toward the ground and the earth, and so see astrology more through that lens.

Truly wishing you the best.
Yes, and on earth, unlike as above, everything is limited, as I noted in my previous post.

JUPITERASC

I thought I was in the ''Science'' section of the forum. Excuse me.

a board titled "Research & Development" certainly implies a "Scientific" approach
HOWEVER
our forum is an amateur online astrological learning forum
frequented by non-scientists

NON SEMPER EA SUNT QUAE VIDENTUR :smile:

and so
it would seem that:

Everything has its limits. That would certainly include astrology.
as well as
online amateur astrological learning forums

Dude, astrology is not recognised as a science or even as a working phenomenon
unlike chemistry, astronomy and geology.
A quick glance at encyclopedia tell you it is either ''debunked'' or pseudoscience.
I attack astrology, are you serious?
on the contrary, the discussion is interesting
albeit in an unscientific way

JUPITERASC

I am going to stick to traditional topics then.
Rejoice that we have a traditional board at all :smile:
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43946
aeons ago there was no Traditional Board
then
when after much contention 'twas granted
Modernists demanded a Modern Board
therefore
we now have both

and
now traditional comment is fine on General Astrology Boards
and also Vedic comment, if so inclined, even Chinese astrology
on for example on "Read My Chart" General Astrology board