should i study Chinese astrology

I have recently joined a club and i have been offered the option to either study a general astrological course of a specific one about chinese astrology. Could someone maybe tell me the pros and cons of both?

conspiracy theorist

What did they say was going to be a part of the general astrological course? They gave you a primer?

Chinese Astrology (I'm not sure of the level that they are offering) is rare in the western world. You could much more easily get knowledge/learning/training in more places for the former ( the general one - depending on what is meant by that word) than the latter. Hence having some information of the Chinese system would result in a broader reach in your astrology knowledge.

Some things to ponder about.

AppLeo

In Chinese Astrology, I don't know if there's an actual chart that you read. The information is more basic from what I know.

Chinese astrology helps give another perspective, but I would say that Traditional, Vedic, or Modern astrology is richer in information.

conspiracy theorist

In Chinese Astrology, I don't know if there's an actual chart that you read. The information is more basic from what I know.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Chinese astrology only consists of what you see on the internet. It smells an awful lot like Sun Sign Astrology.

Besides, the Chinese seem to be very guarded with their info.

AppLeo

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Chinese astrology only consists of what you see on the internet. It smells an awful lot like Sun Sign Astrology.

Besides, the Chinese seem to be very guarded with their info.

I'm sure they are hiding something. But if the information is hidden and you only have access to the basics of it, there's not much of a point in learning about it.

conspiracy theorist

I'm sure they are hiding something. But if the information is hidden and you only have access to the basics of it, there's not much of a point in learning about it.

That goes back to her OP. She did say "Course in Chinese Astrology". It could be as basic as what we know already from the internet, or something more exclusive. She didn't give much detail as to what she's going to potentially learn.

AppLeo

That goes back to her OP. She did say "Course in Chinese Astrology". It could be as basic as what we know already from the internet, or something more exclusive. She didn't give much detail as to what she's going to potentially learn.

Ohh... I don't know then.

I'd just take the course because it's a learning experience. What do you have to lose?

The other course is traditional astrology and i'm sorry i didn't specify this in the original post. Chinese astrology sounds more complex and it seems like from your replies i could learn most of the information from the internet. Therefore i am going to pick the traditional astrology course. Thank you for your help.

conspiracy theorist

To clarify, what is on the net for Chinese astrology seems very basic and is most likely not what Chinese Astrology is really about.

One could find much more information on the internet regarding Modern, Traditional and Jyotish, this includes both information and people who are willing to facilitate your learning.

AppLeo

The other course is traditional astrology and i'm sorry i didn't specify this in the original post. Chinese astrology sounds more complex and it seems like from your replies i could learn most of the information from the internet. Therefore i am going to pick the traditional astrology course. Thank you for your help.

Take the traditional astrology course!

Rawiri

You would be hard pressed to find much good Chinese astrology online, or even in English books anywhere.

Most of the Chinese astrologers I've come across who do teach charge an arm and a leg to learn anything significant, compared to any modern, traditional or jyotish astrologer.

And it, like all other kinds of astrology has various "schools" which each approach it somewhat differently.

Personally I would opt for the Chinese astrology if it looked any good due to that. But traditional astrology would probably be more accessible.

There's no particular pros and cons I can think of for either compared to the other, except the above and the issues with language. The language used in Chinese astrology (and the culture behind it) is quite different to that used in western astrology or in jyotish - who I would say match more closely than not. It takes longer to wrap your head around (unless you happen to spring from that culture and language I imagine).

Last edited:

Doomsday

I've found Suzanne White's 'The New Astrology' to be the best place to start with Chinese Astrology... and my Year of the Goat... it describes me better, it seems, than my Virgo Sun Sign... take that for what it's worth.