Should the death penalty be allowed?

Iced8Ace

I'm against it. "It is legal murder." Also, giving judges the power to kill may attract sociopaths to that position. No thanks.

As for the drowning argument, my personal philosophy is that if I have the strength do something good for someone, I will. To me, a strong person can carry themselves, but a really strong person will carry others as well :)

That's why I wouldn't get mad at anyone if they couldn't save the drowning person. I would definitely get pissed if someone mocked the drowning person though.

To me, a strong person can carry themselves, but a really strong person will carry others as well :)

Excellent quote. And I agree about the politicians; nobody should have that level of power over another human's life without d*mn-good reason. Like saving-the-world-from-nuclear-holocaust type sh*t. Even then, I'd be compelled to find an alternative to outright murder. Like knocking a dude upside the head with a shovel or cuffing him to a fence or some sh*t.

Oddity

CapAquaPis

No...I worry the executed person might be innocent and wrongly convicted, we need to properly examine death row inmates' crimes and with DNA evidence in the last 2 decades, it's possible to clear them of any crimes before they're scheduled for the execution.

The US is the only developed/industrial nation (Japan too?) allows the death penalty, mainly for homicide, as well treason and sedition are a capital offense. States and federal-level executions are performed on a higher basis than any other free country, esp the states of Texas, Oklahoma and UT (firing squad), the nation's most conservative, Republican and religious (Christian) states where they're more likely to support and execute the death penalty.

JUPITERASC

No...I worry the executed person might be innocent and wrongly convicted,

we need to properly examine death row inmates' crimes
and with DNA evidence in the last 2 decades, it's possible to clear them of any crimes
before they're scheduled for the execution.

The US is the only developed/industrial nation (Japan too?) allows the death penalty,

mainly for homicide, as well treason and sedition are a capital offense.
States and federal-level executions are performed on a higher basis than any other free country,
esp the states of Texas, Oklahoma and UT (firing squad),
the nation's most conservative, Republican and religious (Christian) states
where they're more likely to support and execute the death penalty.

[SIZE=+1]
Last exoneration from Death ROW was October 12, 2015 (#156)[/SIZE]

For Inclusion on DPIC's Innocence List:

Defendants must have been convicted
sentenced to death
and
subsequently either:

a. Been acquitted of all charges related to the crime that placed them on death row
or
b. Had all charges related to the crime that placed them on death row dismissed by the prosecution
or
c. Been granted a complete pardon based on evidence of innocence :smile:

For a fuller description of the criteria used in this list
and the reasons why these criteria were chosen
see Section V of DPIC's most recent Innocence Report.

See also an excerpt below from an article in the Baltimore Sun by Dan Rodricks
regarding the use of the term "exonerated."

The list includes cases in which the release occurred 1973 or later

See also DPIC's
Innocence Database
- Searchable database of all exonerations since 1973
- allows you to search and sort for cases by year, state, race, and other variables.

scotus.jpg

david starling

No...I worry the executed person might be innocent and wrongly convicted, we need to properly examine death row inmates' crimes and with DNA evidence in the last 2 decades, it's possible to clear them of any crimes before they're scheduled for the execution.

The US is the only developed/industrial nation (Japan too?) allows the death penalty, mainly for homicide, as well treason and sedition are a capital offense. States and federal-level executions are performed on a higher basis than any other free country, esp the states of Texas, Oklahoma and UT (firing squad), the nation's most conservative, Republican and religious (Christian) states where they're more likely to support and execute the death penalty.

The "Right to Life" states!?:surprised: