So, what do you use? (of asteroids, planetoids, ...)

CJN

I'm curious, what solar system bodies other than the nine planets do you use, and why?
- The four classical asteroids?
- Chiron?
- The transneptunians (Eris, Sedna, Makemake, ...)? Which ones?
- Other asteroids, like the ones championed by Bloch & George?

Myself I'm only really considering Eris and Ceres. Haumea and Makemake are still too unclear in meaning, and going down in size to objects not classified as dwarf planets would add too much clutter.

starlink

Haumea and Makemake I never even heard of so I would say: Forget them unless you want to write a book specialized on these transneptunians. Every asteroid, star or strip found in the heavens which has not been thorougly studied and written about and found to have a specific meaning I would not even look at.

Personally I do look at Chiron but only these last few years, never before and I am in astrology for over 30 years. The 4 classic one's are also to be considered when you want to know about a specific theme, like Juno for marriages and divorces.

It is up to you what you want to study of course, but personally I would not even go there as it can thoroughly clog up the basic natal interpretation of a chart unless you are super experienced in this field.

Neptune Rising

Hmmm, I use Juno and Chiron mainly. I used to think Juno had the energies of marriage but have not found this to be the case. I go more with the Magi description of Juno as ruling 'sex without restrictions', like without the restriction of marriage. Chiron seems to be a great teacher, and whatever planet it is infused with tends towards the type of lessons to be gained from Chiron contacts.

Neptune Rising

Just read Starlink's thread - I just leap in without reading the whole thread...(just my over eager 1st house Mars)!

Interesting I've never thought of Juno contacts having divorce before but I've not been studying the asteroids for long. I'm really curious, how have you seen Juno in effect in this way? :smile:

CJN

It's not just a case of what to use, since I'm a programmer and in process of writing astrology functions and classes. So I want the possible stuff I will use in the future also in the program.

As for Eris, well, if you ignore her, don't be surprised if the guests at your next party starts to quarrel about who's the most beautiful.

R4VEN

I definitely use Chiron.

I also usually have a look at Ceres, just to flesh out the moon sign.

The others, no. I have quite enough to contend with without adding Juno or Pallas to the mix, although there are some AW members who would have me struck by lightning for saying this :w00t:

estrella

I definitely use Chiron.

I'll use Ceres, Vesta, Juno, Lillith depending on what issues I'm looking at.

Also, I've been looking at fixed stars in relation to the AC, MC, and Sun of natal charts and events. What I'm seeing has really been blowing my mind. The fixed stars have been describing the people and events in question very accurately.

freedomlover

I definitely use Chiron.

I also usually have a look at Ceres, just to flesh out the moon sign.

The others, no. I have quite enough to contend with without adding Juno or Pallas to the mix, although there are some AW members who would have me struck by lightning for saying this :w00t:

Well, maybe just a mild electrical charge.:devil:

You would be surprised what Juno and Pallas could reveal to you!

I use Pallas, Juno, Ceres, Vesta, Chiron, Nessus, as well as Eros and Psyche on a regular basis. I've found Psyche very relevant in inner healing matters, when reading the chart psychologically. I use various other asteroids when I get an intuitive hunch that they could add some extra meaning to that particular chart.

CJN

I use Pallas, Juno, Ceres, Vesta, Chiron, Nessus, as well as Eros and Psyche on a regular basis. I've found Psyche very relevant in inner healing matters, when reading the chart psychologically. I use various other asteroids when I get an intuitive hunch that they could add some extra meaning to that particular chart.

Use of Nessus is new to me. What does it symbolize? Just reading from mythology I would guess it has something to do with enemies, deceit and poisoning.

Psyche, is as large as Juno, so I don't doubt that you find it relevant.

What's your experience with Eros? It's small size makes me doubt its relevancy.

waybread

I have looked at asteroids and planetoids a fair bit. Of course, you have to start with the "majors" before moving onto the "minors". Here is my take on them.

1. Chiron does deal with wounding, both literal and metaphorical. Ideally it also shows where and how we can gain in wisdom subsequent to our wounding experiences.

I used to ignore Chiron until I broke my ankle while hiking in 2007. I couldn't find a cause for it using conventional planets. Mercury rules walking, and I have Mercury in Aquarius, which rules the ankles. Chiron conjuncted my mercury when the accident happened. A few months later I had a botched biopsy in which Chiron also seemed to be involved.

2. Juno shows conventional marriage ( even if "common law"), and often in a kind of jealous light.

3. Pallas shows a kind of faculty for discriminating, analytical thinking. Apparently it does show up prominently in charts of people with autism, where this faculty is out of kilter.

4. Ceres really isn't understood well at this time. She was upgraded in 2006 to the status of a dwarf planet.R4ven's post on her is worth following up on. Ceres is prominent in the charts of professional foodies Martha Stewart and Julia Child; but she is also prominent in some natural disaster charts and periods when people are grieving. Mythological Ceres was not only the goddess of grain, but she was also called "the law giver."

5. I really don't have a feel for Vesta in the chart. A lot of unscholarly suppositions have been written about vestal virgins, so I would suggest caution.

6. With other asteroids named for mythological figures like Psyche and Eros, try to grasp the underlying mythology, then look to see how it resonates in your chart.

7. Personal name asteroids get really interesting. Not everybody has one, and then you have to consider cognate names. For example, for the name "Jane" you have to look at Joan, Johanna, Jeanne, Jean, Janet, Jennette, &c to see what, if any asteroids turn up. Your namesake asteroid may or may not ring a bell in your own chart, but check it out in the charts of family members and S0s.

8. A lot more research needs to be done on the trans-Plutonians. Their signs will be generational because their orbits take so long to complete. But aspects to personal planets may be meaningful.

Last edited:

CJN

3. Pallas shows a kind of faculty for discriminating, analytical thinking. Apparently it does show up prominently in charts of people with autism, where this faculty is out of kilter.

5. I really don't have a feel for Vesta in the chart. A lot of unscholarly suppositions have been written about vestal virgins, so I would suggest caution.

3. With Pallas my problem is, what's the difference between it and Mercury?

5. I agree, I haven't been able to make much sense out of what I have read about Vesta.

waybread

I am not sure what is the difference between Mercury in Virgo and Pallas. But I do think a Mercury in Leo or Taurus would work very differently.

But you've raised an important point about asteroids. They need to be more clearly delineated from planets than some of them have been to date.

wintersprite1

Premium Member

I have Pallas in Scorpio conjunct Neptune and the MC within the minute. Pallas is strategy type thinking, like in military offenses. I find that my favorite work has been with statistics and patterns, working in fields like politics. Hope that may have been some help somewhere.

TK

freedomlover

Quoting CJN:

Use of Nessus is new to me. What does it symbolize? Just reading from mythology I would guess it has something to do with enemies, deceit and poisoning.
I have found Nessus by and large deals with issues of abuse and overcoming abuse.

Psyche, is as large as Juno, so I don't doubt that you find it relevant.
I was not aware of that. Yes, I see no difference in relevancy between Juno and Psyche.

What's your experience with Eros? It's small size makes me doubt its relevancy.
I find Eros is highly relevant in issues of sexuality - and also healing of sexual abuse- right use of sexual energies, really. Besides - who says that size matters? Pluto has just as much power as the rest of the planets- even after he was demoted.:rightful:

FL

CJN

Besides - who says that size matters? Pluto has just as much power as the rest of the planets- even after he was demoted.

The question is, where do we draw the line, and if not size, then what?
If we add everything, and we end up with a stellium in every house and more aspects than we can handle.

freedomlover

Originally Posted by freedomlover
Besides - who says that size matters? Pluto has just as much power as the rest of the planets- even after he was demoted.
The question is, where do we draw the line, and if not size, then what?
If we add everything, and we end up with a stellium in every house and more aspects than we can handle.

That's a very good question - I struggle with it myself, even being such a devout asteroid aficionado. I've seen some astrologer's sites that use a bunch of asteroids that I've barely or never heard of - and draw out whole transit summaries on them - as if they were planets. Sometimes it makes some sense - but, personally, my head spins if I take it that far.:sideways:

In general, I use all the "Big 4 asteroids - Juno, Pallas, Vesta, and Ceres- in all readings. Also Chiron and Nessus. THEN, depending on what the specific purpose of the reading is, I will add in a few more specific to that.
This has worked out very, very well for me.

For instance,
Health readings - add in Asclepius - 4581 and Hygeia - 10

Romantic readings - add in Valentine - 447, Anteros - 1943, Eros-433, Psyche - 16, Isis -42, Osiris-1923

I also use the personal name asteroids from time to time- especially in synastry.

My point about Pluto is this: For decades, Pluto was recognized as a powerful force to be reckoned with in astrology. Then, because some scientists - who do not know anything about astrology, demoted it - we are suddenly to say, "Oh, well, it doesn't have as much power anymore because it was demoted?" I don't think so!:whistling:

FL

Isabellium

That's a very good question ...
My point about Pluto is this: For decades, Pluto was recognized as a powerful force to be reckoned with in astrology. Then, because some scientists - who do not know anything about astrology, demoted it - we are suddenly to say, "Oh, well, it doesn't have as much power anymore because it was demoted?" I don't think so!:whistling:

FL

Something I observed long ago is that Pluto is actually a vortex. Here's what I mean. Every other planet has a rotation around a pole and the pole goes through the body of the planet. Not Pluto! Pluto is locked in a staredown with its moon, a moon that's big enough to pull Pluto's rotation off-center -- so far off-center that Pluto's center of rotation is actually outside the planet's body, in the space between Pluto and Charon (which, IMO, should probably have been named Persephone..) Thus, Pluto is really a dyad spinning in such a way that it creates a vortex, a spinning energy. The circumference of the rotation that creates that orbit is a whole lot bigger than Pluto itself, or even Pluto and Charon. It's the edge-to-edge measurement of each body and all the space between them. I'd love to know what that is, but will probably get distracted if I noodle over to NASA to look it up. Again.

Also, Pluto is side-lying. This means that sometimes the center of the vortex is pointing towards us, sometimes away from us, and sometimes it's aimed off into space.

Interestingly, the quieter and more productive times on Earth seem to correlate with the times that Pluto's vortex is not pointing at us. The upheaval-y times seem to be pretty consistent, at least for a few hundred years back (2 orbits or so), with Pluto's head or tail pointing at us.

i don't know if I'm allowed to post a link yet, but I wrote an article on this. There were pictures and numbers in it :rightful:

dr. farr

Although I am fully convinced of the astrological influence of asteroids, I have not had occasion to use them, probably because of my extensive use of Lots and stars; the only "special spatial point" which I use is Lilith (not the asteroid), which I have come to consider of great value; of course I use Uranus and Neptune, and also the planetoid Pluto, which I consider secondary in hierarchy to the planets, but which nonethless I regard as being of quite important delineative value (especially, in my opinion, regarding inceptional and mundane charts)
-in horary I only use the 7 traditional planets, Lots, and (sometimes) stars...

RisingSag

I've read up that Vesta in negative aspect to pluto can show someone whose experienced sex abuse. I've seen it in 2 different astrological charts of women who have had those types of experiences. One who had Vesta square Pluto, and the other had Vesta conjunct Pluto.

rahu

Banned
I'm curious, what solar system bodies other than the nine planets do you use, and why?
- The four classical asteroids?
- Chiron?
- The transneptunians (Eris, Sedna, Makemake, ...)? Which ones?
- Other asteroids, like the ones championed by Bloch & George?

Myself I'm only really considering Eris and Ceres. Haumea and Makemake are still too unclear in meaning, and going down in size to objects not classified as dwarf planets would add too much clutter.

you seem to be new at astrology. Arabian parts(mathematical points) midpoints(mathematical points)ascendant and descendant(mathematical points,vertex (mathematical points
))Lilith (mathematical points) to name a few non material symbols all are widely acknowledged .

rahu