Transits of Chiron

david starling

Thank you for this, waybread.
It relates the myth as
Kheiron was a renowned teacher who mentored many of the greatest heroes of myth ... [and]
was accidentally wounded by Herakles when the hero was battling other members of the tribe. The wound, poisoned with Hydra-venom, was incurable, and suffering unbearable pain Kheiron voluntarily relinquished his immortality. Zeus then placed him amongst the stars as the constellation Sagittarius or Centaurus.

He didn't just relinquish his mortal side, he took the place of Prometheus, thereby releasing the god who gave the gift of fire to humankind, and was being tortured by Zeus.

IleneK

Premium Member
He didn't just relinquish his mortal side, he took the place of Prometheus, thereby releasing the god who gave the gift of fire to humankind, and was being tortured by Zeus.

Chiron relinquished his immortality, his god-like aspect, which had kept him from dying and being released from his suffering. And to give up his immortality he offered to take Prometheus' place. When gods saw this generous act, Chiron was placed in the heavens in a constellation in the heavens.

Or so the story goes.

More or less. :smile::smile::smile:

david starling

Chiron relinquished his immortality, his god-like aspect, which had kept him from dying and being released from his suffering. And to give up his immortality he offered to take Prometheus' place. When gods saw this generous act, Chiron was placed in the heavens in a constellation in the heavens.

Or so the story goes.

More or less. :smile::smile::smile:

You're right. It wasn't just his mortal side that died, as was the case with Hercules, who was also half mortal, half immortal.

It was making that ultimate sacrifice to save Prometheus that made Chiron a true hero.

IleneK

Premium Member
You're right. It wasn't just his mortal side that died, as was the case with Hercules, who was also half mortal, half immortal.

It was making that ultimate sacrifice to save Prometheus that made Chiron a true hero.

Indeed.

Although his life of teaching and healing, as part centaur, certainly elevated his status among beings as well.

Frisiangal

Anyone ever consider the correspondence and/or difference(s) between the Chiron myth to that of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, and the relationship of both with human suffering??????

katydid

What effect does (transiting) Chiron have?
Just read all the Chiron review posts in the 'tags' at bottom of this topic.
I've lived with a partile Chiron-BML-Asc., the most aspected of all configurations in my chart, all my life :whistling:.
My contribution(s) are somewhere amongst them.:smile:

Chiron/BML/Asc. ? Wow, that is an interesting conjunction. Could that be why you are so well versed in medical issues? It is like an innate intuitive understanding ?

waybread

Anyone ever consider the correspondence and/or difference(s) between the Chiron myth to that of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, and the relationship of both with human suffering??????

I haven't, but see the two recent threads on Jesus on this forum.

To me, one of the big (how shall I say this) horrors of the life of Jesus, was when he was on the cross, and said "My God, why have you forsaken me?"

One of the horrors of the myth of Chiron was a self-inflicted wound he could not heal.

Perhaps only the god who suffers can know compassion.

What do you think?

IleneK

Premium Member

To me, one of the big (how shall I say this) horrors of the life of Jesus, was when he was on the cross, and said "My God, why have you forsaken me?"

One of the horrors of the myth of Chiron was a self-inflicted wound he could not heal.

What do you think?

And by extension, perhaps only the person who knows suffering can know compassion.

waybread

I think you're right, Ilene.

It occurs to me that Christianity also has the figure of Mary as La Pieta, the sorrowing mother cradling the body of her dead son.

Frisiangal

Originally Posted by Frisiangal
I've lived with a partile Chiron-BML-Asc., the most aspected of all configurations in my chart, all my life .
Chiron/BML/Asc. ? Wow, that is an interesting conjunction. Could that be why you are so well versed in medical issues? It is like an innate intuitive understanding ?

To my mind there's no 'intuitive understanding' but my innate Virgo Asc. side seeking proof of the astro. symbolism applied to (in this case) the rules towards medical (health) astrology. (E.g. No kidney problems without a Libra influence.)
I have mentioned before how my interest in, and passion for medical astrology was aroused when my first astro. teacher, looking at my chart in class, was able to state what, when and why a physical complaint occured. Her deductions 'proved' to me that astrology worked.
Chiron-BML-Asc. in Virgo. :whistling:

I've looked back in the ephemeris at where tr. Chiron would have been at the time, although I knew nothing of its meaning then. I don't know the exact date, rather than which part of year, yet it is interesting that tr. Chiron was hovering over my M.C-Uranus conjunction which is close square natal CH.-BML-Asc., for 3 months during that period.
The time coincided with a period of personal pain that was not caused by phtsical illness.

Looked further to when I began studying at the holistic med. astro. school.
Tr. Chiron in 10th was inconjunct natal Moon.
We learnt of Chiron and its 'possible' meaning and relationship to dis-ease and dis-order in the 3rd year. I was learning the correspondence between astro. symbolism and physical disease, but still had no personal answer to 'where does the internal pain one lives with come from?'. P-O-W. Tr. Chiron in Cancer applying to natal Mars and exact degree sextile natal 9th house Sun offered an answer. MA=UR-MC/CH-BML-ASC.

After some bad reputation in other fields, alternative healing methods underwent a witch hunt here end of last century. Anyone working with such methods had to have professional qualifications. I'd always felt like a charlatan because I didn't have them (Virgo imperfection?). I hadn't taken final year med. astology because it became too physically medical and had extra evening classesl! I lived too far away to attend a few hours per week. I have since continued to teach myself from home.
Tr. Chiron Scorpio 3rd opposed natal Sun. I enrolled with the recognised astro. teaching school.
Tr. Chiron Sagittarius opposed natal Uranus. I failed final exam because I ' sounded like an oracle', according to Sag. Sun head of examining board.

It was my mentor who persuaded me to finally re-sit the final exam the following year, with an 'Earth type' head examiner.
Tr. Chiron exact degree trine natal Jupiter when I heard the positive news.

Coincidence or proof of fact of Chiron's influence? He is said to have also taught astrology?
Whatever, I have never failed to include Chiron (or BML) in chart interpretation and been disappointed.:smile:

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Frisiangal

What do you think?

I only think of the 'story' reflection connection between them.

One a son of an immortal God who chooses mortality to die.
The other, a mortal who apparently never declared himself to be the son of God, and dies to live on in immortality.

The one rejected by his mother; the other loved by her.

Both teachers in their own right with apparent powers that can heal internal and/or external dis-ease.

Probably more if studied thoroughly.

It's just a personal perspective of thought, not guided by any belief. :smile:

AppLeo

I hate to get personal, but Chiron by its nature is personal because it represents our greatest pains

Chiron moves really slow, and I'm pretty young, so I have little empirical evidence for Chiron, but I do have some.

When Chiron entered Aries, which entered my 4th house in my own chart, my home-life and family began to change for the better. All of us went to therapy, and we psychologically healed. Our family dynamics are healthier and happier. And I'm not saying this lightly. Like for as long as I can remember, my home-life was a psychological battle-field and for the first time, it's not nearly as bad. Both of my parents are early degree Aries-Suns, so it would make a ton of sense that Chiron would help them. My dad used to be an alcoholic to avoid painful feelings, and now he doesn't drink anymore. Chiron fixed that in his life.

Another thing, this isn't exactly a Chiron transit, but I had a therapy session in which I cried my heart out that was healing, and after the session, I checked my transits, and the Moon was exactly conjunct my natal Chiron at the time. If you want a good therapy session, plan it when the Moon is transiting over your Chiron.

I also met an online friend who had a growth disorder, and his Chiron was conjunct his Mars in Virgo. From that placement alone, it's obvious that his greatest pain is his physical disability. Would make sense why he retreated into gaming and actually is one of the best players I've ever played against.

Those are the only things I've noticed, but quite notable. Chiron is super important in a person's chart and should never be overlooked.

Last edited:

david starling

I hate to get personal, but Chiron by its nature is personal because it represents our greatest pains

Chiron moves really slow, and I'm pretty young, so I have little empirical evidence for Chiron, but I do have some.

When Chiron entered Aries, which entered my 4th house in my own chart, my home-life and family began to change for the better. All of us went to therapy, and we psychologically healed. Our family dynamics are healthier and happier. And I'm not saying this lightly. Like for as long as I can remember, my home-life was a psychological battle-field and for the first time, it's not nearly as bad. Both of my parents are early degree Aries-Suns, so it would make a ton of sense that Chiron would help them. My dad used to be an alcoholic to avoid painful feelings, and now he doesn't drink anymore. Chiron fixed that in his life.

Another thing, this isn't exactly a Chiron transit, but I had a therapy session in which I cried my heart out that was healing, and after the session, I checked my transits, and the Moon was exactly conjunct my natal Chiron at the time. If you want a good therapy session, plan it when the Moon is transiting over your Chiron.

I also met an online friend who had a growth disorder, and his Chiron was conjunct his Mars in Virgo. From that placement alone, it's obvious that his greatest pain is his physical disability. Would make sense why he retreated into gaming and actually is one of the best players I've ever played against.

Those are the only things I've noticed, but quite notable. Chiron is super important in a person's chart and should never be overlooked.

Any thoughts on what Sign is specifically ruled by Chiron?

david starling

I have Chiron in Scorpio, in the 8th House.

It's square Pluto and trine Mercury and Mars.

I have a saying for myself: "It's only Death can break my heart."

So many people take death for granted, as a natural fact of life, and I don't feel that way about it.

Last edited:

AppLeo

Any thoughts on what Sign is specifically ruled by Chiron?

If you assign all planets to the signs, the only one left is Virgo
Aries: Mars
Taurus: Earth
Gemini: Mercury
Cancer: Moon
Leo: Sun
Virgo: Chiron
Libra: Venus
Scorpio: Pluto
Sagittarius: Jupiter
Capricorn: Saturn
Aquarius: Uranus
Pisces: Neptune

But I don't know why we're forcing rulership for each planet and sign. Maybe the traditional 7 planet rulership is good enough and should stay that way.

Sag or Virgo is the most likelly ruled by Chiron. Maybe Ophiuchus if it was an actual sign lol

Sagittarius is wise and an actual centaur, which fits a lot with the unhealable wound that you overcome with wisdom and experience. Virgo is the natural healer or doctor that fixes everyone else, but has a tendency to neglect their own needs

david starling

I only think of the 'story' reflection connection between them.

One a son of an immortal God who chooses mortality to die.
The other, a mortal who apparently never declared himself to be the son of God, and dies to live on in immortality.

The one rejected by his mother; the other loved by her.

Both teachers in their own right with apparent powers that can heal internal and/or external dis-ease.

Probably more if studied thoroughly.

It's just a personal perspective of thought, not guided by any belief. :smile:

Frisiangal, I had just seen a post of yours, and then it disappeared before I could read it, except that it included insights about Chiron in the 8th House. Did you have second thoughts about it?

Frisiangal

I have Chiron in Scorpio, in the 8th House.

It's square Pluto and trine Mercury and Mars.

I have a saying for myself: "It's only Death can break my heart."

So many people take death for granted, as a natural fact of life, and I don't feel that way about it.

In myth, it could be said that Chiron committed suicide in preferring death above a life of pain.
How many people contemplate such drastic action to be over an internally painful situation. They don't want to die; they just want the internal pain to go away. Pain too often inflicted by/through others (the poison arrow that hit its mark?). Check charts for eventual correspondence.

Something an 8th house Chiron might well experience, or at least be aware of?

Chiron's path lies between Saturn and Uranus. Occasionally it almost, but not quite, reaches that of Neptune.

I've always considered Chiron as 'the breakthrough' towards (self) healing that comes when the Saturn situations are recognised for what it caused, and enabling Uranus 'to see the light' to take in alternate perspectives.

:smile:

Frisiangal, I had just seen a post of yours, and then it disappeared before I could read it, except that it included insights about Chiron in the 8th House. Did you have second thoughts about it?

Just added a little extra.