Difference between Sun and Ascendant

dr. farr

Yes, absolutely. My ascendant is Virgo, and my mind and "higher tendencies" are very much like Virgo; yet my physical typology, and my more "physical" (or "lower") tendencies are of Taurus, which is my Sun sign.

In the case of my late wife (Leslie; passed away in 2008; we were together 40 years), her ascendant was Libra, and almost everything about her was Libran; her Sun sign was Gemini, yet she had no characteristic physical, mental or behavioral Gemini tendencies.

AppLeo

The ascendant is kind of like your persona and personality.

The Sun represents the part of the chart that we "shine" in.

Like, for example, I'm a capricorn ascendant so I'm usually boring, serious, and cold.

But my life is awesome when and I feel the best when I express myself as a Leo (because my Sun is in Leo).

That's the best I can explain it.

Scorpio90

The ascendant is kind of like your persona and personality.

The Sun represents the part of the chart that we "shine" in.

Like, for example, I'm a capricorn ascendant so I'm usually boring, serious, and cold.

But my life is awesome when and I feel the best when I express myself as a Leo (because my Sun is in Leo).

That's the best I can explain it.

it's something that confuses me ..

I am asc Capricorn with Saturn Conj asc, my physical frame is undoubtedly Capricorn ... but at the same time I am very Scorpio, so from what I understand both signs are similar, cold, arrogant, strange humor .. as they also have positive similarities like hard work and perseverance, then I can never decipher where the personality comes ..

It is confusing, because the personality makes the whole natal chart, we all have an ascendant, but if our personal planets are in stellium in a very likely sign that we act on that stellium and not with the ascendant .. then the ascendant is the physical, not the personality. Sorry my bad english. :happy:

AppLeo

it's something that confuses me ..

I am asc Capricorn with Saturn Conj asc, my physical frame is undoubtedly Capricorn ... but at the same time I am very Scorpio, so from what I understand both signs are similar, cold, arrogant, strange humor .. as they also have positive similarities like hard work and perseverance, then I can never decipher where the personality comes ..

It is confusing, because the personality makes the whole natal chart, we all have an ascendant, but if our personal planets are in stellium in a very likely sign that we act on that stellium and not with the ascendant .. then the ascendant is the physical, not the personality. Sorry my bad english. :happy:

Well, you silly... Capricorn and Scorpio are sextile so their energies are able to be harmonized. You’re able to express your Ascendant while also expressing the stellium.

It also doesn’t really matter if you have a stellium or whatever... the Ascendant is always there and will filter what people see and how you express yourself.

The Ascendant is both physicality and personality. The reason why I think you’re confused is because Scorpio and Capricorn are both very similar.

Cuz when I look at my personality, it’s pretty obvious that there is a dynamic between them that doesn’t just work together making them both quite distinct in my personality.

sibylline

Hello,

Do you fell the difference between your sun and your ascendant? What kind of difference do you fell?

Yes, I do. The Ascendant, just like it is described shows my outer behavior, persona, and approach life. Actually, I can feel the difference between all of the energies in my chart -- Moon, Mars, etc, as well. What does it feel like? Good question. It feels like competing energies or merged energies (in the case of those that work together). In the case of my Ascendant, it will "receive" information and cause an initial reaction, before it is assimilated by Sun.

The chart as a whole does describe the personality but what we mean here is the outer, most obvious, projected aspects of the personality, aka the persona.

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Sun is the heart, the core of our being as it is the heart and center of our home, the earth. It is the giver of all life, including ours.
The Ascendant is the lens through which we perceive the world and it is how we are perceived. But Asc is only a point in the chart, not a body having actual substance like Sun and Moon. We are our Moon the moment we are born, (newborn infant).
I think we come into and grasp our Asc first developmentally. Then we may discover or become actually conscious of our Moon next, say in our teens or a bit earlier or later. I think we come into and grasp our Sun, [our identity, our self (but not Self, as Self is whole chart )] later, if at all. Sun is elusive for most, much like the NN.
Just my thoughts though 25 years of considering the natal chart as a psychological profile of the native.

Last edited:

muchacho

Hello,

Do you fell the difference between your sun and your ascendant? What kind of difference do you fell?
The ASC more in day to day encounters and the body, the Sun more in areas/situations that deal with goals and life purpose.