Unveiling the mysteries of the 4th house

Therese

Out of curiosity, do you have a tight conjunction between your Uranus and Mercury?

I’m always interested in how other people experience their 4th house. I think it helps me to figure my own 4th house and chart. [...] I wonder how that feels for a stellium in Scorpio in 4th house.

Is there some specific dimension of the 4th you'd like to explore?

I’ve more of an inward chart, or perhaps I’m just more focused on the energy that reflects that part of my chart.

My only planet above the horizon is Jupiter in the 12th. I'll leave my "inwardness" to your imagination. :smile:
Save

iphis

I have a jarring, intense 4th house...:pouty:

I’ve met people who had distressed childhoods or were victims of abuse (emotional/sexual) that have Pluto (afflicted) in the 4th house. Some had also Saturn (as an indicator of precocity or family obligations). And a few times a tense Mars is in the 4th or making harsh aspects to the 4th house. It is intriguing how certain traumas can be grasped through the lens of astrology. How certain patterns repeat themselves. I never actually thought of Lilith in the 4th house, but now that you mention your Pluto conjunction… it sounds powerful and intense. Pluto can be brutal but its transformative drive holds a significant role in our charts. Thank you for sharing your personal story.

iphis

Is there some specific dimension of the 4th you'd like to explore?

My only planet above the horizon is Jupiter in the 12th. I'll leave my "inwardness" to your imagination. :smile:
Save

Haha you made me laugh. My planets are mostly packed below the horizon as well, I hear you.

My Uranus is partying with Mercury Rx (3a), but in Sagittarius in the 5th house. With such a big Stellium I had a feeling you would probably share this aspect. I really enjoy how their energies blend, it can be electrifying, but this conjunction can be exasperating sometimes. Even if it’s soften by a Venus sextile. My mind feels like a lit lightbulb all the time. Does it ring a bell?

With my Moon in the 4th house I supposed I look at the 4th house as a key to decipher my chart (myself). I was always fascinated by the 4th house. Not sure which dimension, perhaps the emotional and healing dimension of the 4th house. I also read somewhere once that a scorpion moon can act like a second Chiron (well a scorpion moon touching Pluto can certain feel like a second Chiron). Maybe it feels very heavy loaded, Saturn, Pluto, South Node, and I’m trying to shed some light and understand better the depth of its nature and accept its challenges. I’m guessing Uranus and Mars can be very challenging as well.

aquarius7000

I have Saturn conjunct IC from 3rd house. My Venus conjunct IC and is in 4th, and I have Moon in 4th in Placidus, but at the end of the house, in some other systems is in 5th.

Many would say how I'm very traditional and have a lot of love for my country, how I would love to rise kids and have family, care for them, but I'm total opposition for example. Always felt like stranger here...
Hi,

That is but one interpretation. Having Saturn in the 4th house can actually mean problems in the family, a cold household or one with a burdensome family (can be due to different reasons like disease or lack of money, etc.), a broken family or one where people do not get along, or parents are separate or at least do not get along.

If you attach your birth chart, one can look deeper.

katydid

I’ve met people who had distressed childhoods or were victims of abuse (emotional/sexual) that have Pluto (afflicted) in the 4th house. Some had also Saturn (as an indicator of precocity or family obligations). And a few times a tense Mars is in the 4th or making harsh aspects to the 4th house. It is intriguing how certain traumas can be grasped through the lens of astrology. How certain patterns repeat themselves. I never actually thought of Lilith in the 4th house, but now that you mention your Pluto conjunction… it sounds powerful and intense. Pluto can be brutal but its transformative drive holds a significant role in our charts. Thank you for sharing your personal story.

I remember once, at a lecture at an Astro conference, hearing the speaker say that often, Taurus rising people had abusive childhoods. Many Baby Boomers like myself had Pluto in the 4th if they had Taurus rising, so I think that is one reason that astrologer came to that conclusion. :wink:
[ the speaker had done lots of charts of other students in their college years, and she had Pluto in Leo, so thats why I say that...]

I volunteered for several years at a Community Mental Health Center where we had weekly meetings for Survivors of Childhood Abuse. I looked at the charts of many of the survivors. Lots of emphasis upon the water houses and the malefics, of course.

But it seemed like those that had some solid beneficial aspects to the 8th or to the Earth houses, had effective pathways to transform and overcome the debilitating effects.

Whereas those with Grand Trines from the afflicted 4th, were sometimes 'trapped' in an emotional cycle of recurring patterns.

I have an exact sextile from Pluto/Lilith/South Node to my Saturn/Neptune/Spica conjunction in Libra. So I had a nice solid pathway to escape the worst of it.

Saturn, exalted in Libra, provided a strong stable family to help me find my way. Neptune allowed me to out it into a Spiritual, Metaphysical context. And Spica was good luck in relationships that allowed me to move forward.

My Moon/Chiron/Mars conjunction in Cap in the 8th allowed me to become a healer/counselor and TRANSFORM the 4th house memories into helping others overcome theirs.

So I LOVE my Pluto/Lilith/So Node in the 4th. It brought me full circle. :sideways::innocent:

Last edited:

Therese

Haha you made me laugh. My planets are mostly packed below the horizon as well, I hear you.

My Uranus is partying with Mercury Rx (3a), but in Sagittarius in the 5th house. With such a big Stellium I had a feeling you would probably share this aspect. I really enjoy how their energies blend, it can be electrifying, but this conjunction can be exasperating sometimes. Even if it’s soften by a Venus sextile. My mind feels like a lit lightbulb all the time. Does it ring a bell?

With my Moon in the 4th house I supposed I look at the 4th house as a key to decipher my chart (myself). I was always fascinated by the 4th house. Not sure which dimension, perhaps the emotional and healing dimension of the 4th house. I also read somewhere once that a scorpion moon can act like a second Chiron (well a scorpion moon touching Pluto can certain feel like a second Chiron). Maybe it feels very heavy loaded, Saturn, Pluto, South Node, and I’m trying to shed some light and understand better the depth of its nature and accept its challenges. I’m guessing Uranus and Mars can be very challenging as well.

In my case, that fourth house is also intercepted, btw.

Sure, my mind tends to be "on" almost around the clock, and it works in its own way. As my Mercury is in the fourth, my attention gravitates towards those dimensions. And I don't mean interior design.

Family has been important in my life, but not in the standard, fluffy way. There was "karma" briefly mentioned before. I don't use it in the sense of previous lives. But there do exist patterns in our life, and in families - some have it stronger than others.

I have always lived between two worlds, which scared and angered my mother who tried to beat it out of me, to "get me straight". (my father died when I was 8).

My mother, in her turn, was brought up by her authoritative father, who had an extreme, fanatic hatred towards everything intellectual and/or spiritual. Even in the seventies, he refused to have electricity or running water in his house. *** all things different and new.

This, in part, was rooted in his problematic relationship with his own father, who was a freemason. Ironically (it was more than irony, of course), he happened to fall in love with the clairvoyant of the region. He probably hoped to "straighten" her out, but she died a few months after giving birth to my mother.

I, in my turn, was brought up mostly by my mother, who heavily identifies with her father. As my grandfather cut all ties to his wife's family, my mother grew up not knowing them, and that's how it started for me, too. But, as it often happens, when I was approaching adolescence, my "gifts" were becoming stronger, and the situation developed into a crisis. My mother thought I was going mad, and I wasn't sure what to think. I have no idea how things would have ended. But then, like in the fairy tales, we were suddenly approached by the sister of my grandmother. My mother was ambivalent about the situation, but who can help being curious about their own mother and family? My grandaunt soon took me under her wings. The world opened up, and out of a sudden, I had a place in it, after all. She's a shaman, btw.

iphis

But it seemed like those that had some solid beneficial aspects to the 8th or to the Earth houses, had effective pathways to transform and overcome the debilitating effects.

My Moon/Chiron/Mars conjunction in Cap in the 8th allowed me to become a healer/counselor and TRANSFORM the 4th house memories into helping others overcome theirs.

My Mars in Aquarius is navigating the 8th house (trine - Pluto, sextile - Sun conj Neptune). Perhaps it’s not only the 4th house but Mars’s drive digging deeper. It also squares my Saturn in the 4th house, this aspect is a pain in the ***. I guess I’ve always approached my spirituality from an intellectual perspective (which might sound like an oxymoron). But I think the Aquarius Mars and the Sagittarius vibe (Sun/Mercury) tend to do this. But at the core of my essence the Scorpio Moon is not that satisfied with a cerebral or logical approach.

Someone was telling me about a friend who had a powerful 8th house in Capricorn, but had such a pragmatic approach towards it that its own vitality was locked. And this person was troubled by the possibility of losing their mind. A moon and chiron in the 8th sounds very intriguing. A lot of transformative healing, which you have certainly attained. Thank you for sharing your view once again : )

iphis

Thank you for sharing, it’s a fascinating story. I grew up wishing and asking! for a grandmother, unfortunately never met them, only met one grandfather. I didn’t identify with my family, not even a single member and I’ve a lot of siblings. My childhood was very Saturnian, I was the mediator, and it had all the standard dynamics of Saturn one can think of. I identify with this:

There was "karma" briefly mentioned before. I don't use it in the sense of previous lives. But there do exist patterns in our life, and in families - some have it stronger than others.

I’m still learning to integrate the Scorpio energy. I feel I’ve known some sort of darkness from before. Not even sure what I mean by “before”. I was obsessed with death when I was young. I remember being a kid and watching tapes of me as a child and thinking I was about to die. This fixation happened again during my adolescence. It was a magnetic repel/attraction thing. May I ask, since you have a lot of Scorpio energy in your 4th, if you grew up feeling this sort of invisible abyss or obscurity? (mine was quite plutonian) Not just in the sense of hmmm some may say depression, but something else, less tangible. And if I might be a little intrusive, what do you mean by in-between 2 worlds?

Therese

May I ask, since you have a lot of Scorpio energy in your 4th, if you grew up feeling this sort of invisible abyss or obscurity? (mine was quite plutonian) Not just in the sense of hmmm some may say depression, but something else, less tangible.

Yes, I got to know darkness intimately.

And in the luck of night
In secret places where no other spied
I went without my sight
Without a light to guide
Except the heart that lit me from inside.

(Saint John of the Cross: The Dark Night of the Soul)

And if I might be a little intrusive, what do you mean by in-between 2 worlds?

One is the solid world of my mother and grandfather, where only that exists that you can grab with your own two hands. And there's the other one. The most generally used term is probably "altered states of consciousness" or "non-ordinary states of consciousness".

iphis

Yes, I got to know darkness intimately.

And in the luck of night
In secret places where no other spied
I went without my sight
Without a light to guide
Except the heart that lit me from inside.

(Saint John of the Cross: The Dark Night of the Soul)

One is the solid world of my mother and grandfather, where only that exists that you can grab with your own two hands. And there's the other one. The most generally used term is probably "altered states of consciousness" or "non-ordinary states of consciousness".

I’ve so many questions now. Do you mean hmm altered states induced by external stimulations or triggered by certain circumstances? Were they more of a spiritual/mystical awakening, something in the likes of an ineffable encounter? Do you think these altered mind states have a correspondence within your 4th house (specific planets and aspects?) When you say darkness, did you fully understand the roots of this darkness? I could go on asking stuff, feel free to dodge the bullets. I feel these in-between worlds or unattainable parallels whatever we might call it coexist within our most tangible reality and within ourselves. Some people are more attuned with them, especially if they have a strong sense of the self, of who they are and where they came from (then again I don’t fully understand what I mean when I use past tense terminology : ) )

StillOne

StillOne, my family history/childhood is also very much scorpion/pluto. But I’ve conflicted opinions about karma. By any chance do you feel you owe them? Or that you are working through them some baggage? Thank you!

I have parents that have been chosen for me. However, I also have my own story. The combination, in my opinion, is karma. Yes, you have your own life, but it's influenced by your parents whether you knew them or not. As such, there's always some type of baggage. Otherwise, you would not be mortal.

Therese

Do you mean hmm altered states induced by external stimulations or triggered by certain circumstances? Were they more of a spiritual/mystical awakening, something in the likes of an ineffable encounter?

Induced? No. It's my default operating system. I did have my fair share of synchronicities and special encounters.

I feel these in-between worlds or unattainable parallels whatever we might call it coexist within our most tangible reality and within ourselves.

Yes. Altered states of consciousness is a general and broad term. I wasn't using it to mean psychedelic tourism and euphoric trips to wonderland. Meditation, daydreaming, dreaming... and others. Especially others.

A non-ordinary state of consciousness does not have to exclude ordinary states. They actually co-exist. For example, being intuitive does not mean you have to throw out rational thinking and logic, you can very well use both in a co-ordinated way in your daily life. Then why should an altered state exclude "regular" consciousness? In my experience, it doesn't. The river flows into the sea, and yet, a river stays a river and the sea stays the sea.

Do you think these altered mind states have a correspondence within your 4th house (specific planets and aspects?)

That stellium in itself could manifest in very different ways. But my chart as it is does tell the story. I always look at the chart as an organic whole. Everything is connected to everything else.

When you say darkness, did you fully understand the roots of this darkness?

Fully understand? I doubt it's humanly possible. And I don't think that's the most important point.

You can always send me a pm if you want to go into this further.

Inanna92

Hi,

That is but one interpretation. Having Saturn in the 4th house can actually mean problems in the family, a cold household or one with a burdensome family (can be due to different reasons like disease or lack of money, etc.), a broken family or one where people do not get along, or parents are separate or at least do not get along.

If you attach your birth chart, one can look deeper.
I know meaning of Saturn in 4th, but I was just talking about my personal chart and Saturn and other placements how they work together and what influence they have on me personally.

Beigecoffee

Hey guys, really nice topic I must say. I wanna share my experience on this one. I have Saturn in Pisces in the fourth house, and Aquarius 4th house cusp. I have lots of family problems. I wish to live alone or with my boyfriend. Parents don't accept who I am. They make decisions for me or punish me if I do it my way. It's like I'm trying to build a connection but I hit myself at the wall while I'm trying it. When it comes to Aquarius cusp, I dream about my own place, don't care for tradition, even though my parents are religious, and I'm spiritual and love the occult, but it's more my Scorpio Ascendant and Pluto in Scorpio in the first house. I think I will lose contact with my family in near future because I'm really restricted right now. They even chose my undergraduate degree, and I need a refresh after 22 years of my life. Do 4th house Saturnians feel the same? :)

Abby83

Hey guys, really nice topic I must say. I wanna share my experience on this one. I have Saturn in Pisces in the fourth house, and Aquarius 4th house cusp. I have lots of family problems. I wish to live alone or with my boyfriend. Parents don't accept who I am. They make decisions for me or punish me if I do it my way. It's like I'm trying to build a connection but I hit myself at the wall while I'm trying it. When it comes to Aquarius cusp, I dream about my own place, don't care for tradition, even though my parents are religious, and I'm spiritual and love the occult, but it's more my Scorpio Ascendant and Pluto in Scorpio in the first house. I think I will lose contact with my family in near future because I'm really restricted right now. They even chose my undergraduate degree, and I need a refresh after 22 years of my life. Do 4th house Saturnians feel the same? :)
Ok so you just confirmed the themes I saw in your natal chart. Difficulties with career and family. Your partner is in your first house with you. That's good. I also have 4th cusp aquarius and I find I have always dreamt of my home and I like lots of 'space.' Space is really important for 4th cusp aquarius ppl cos it makes them feel free.

Beigecoffee

Ok so you just confirmed the themes I saw in your natal chart. Difficulties with career and family. Your partner is in your first house with you. That's good. I also have 4th cusp aquarius and I find I have always dreamt of my home and I like lots of 'space.' Space is really important for 4th cusp aquarius ppl cos it makes them feel free.

I agree! Yes you were right, I posted in that topic. My partner has very similar personality to mine. And I love him. He is a little bit older, but I don't care. :D

sandrang123

Jupiter in Sag conjuncts my IC at 29+ degrees in the third house. IC in Cappy. I tend to look at family in a broader, more spiritual and philosophical sense. Because I've lived away from my home state/town for over 20 years, I've come to think you can make a home anywhere, and often strangers become friends and spiritual family. I have a great yearning to create a home, wherever I travel. That said, I often feel nostalgic for my childhood home and family, and, in a weird way, sometimes feel like I've betrayed my "home base," by moving so much for school and jobs.

As for you, when you write: "My Pluto conjuncts my IC and I always felt some sort of hmm emotional baggage, and I don’t think it all has to do with my childhood. It feels more like an old scar, it’s very undecipherable, like I was already born with it."

I could see that feeling especially with Pluto there, given that Pluto deals with death and regeneration and might point to strong past-life markers. I'd be curious to see if this placement aspects Chiron in any way.

Hi everyone, this is my first post : ) I’ve been doing some research regarding the 4th house and I would like to hear your opinions about it. We tend to read the 4th house as the house directly connected to our family/parents, childhood and our roots. But what roots are we really talking about? I always felt there is something more profound and perhaps mystic about the midnight house, maybe because my moon conjuncts Pluto in Scorpio in the 4th house. But I was wondering if someone else out there feels the same way about the 4th house. What sort of emotions do you experience with the 4th house?

Also, does anyone else who, for instance, has one or more planets conjunct their IC? My Pluto conjuncts my IC and I always felt some sort of hmm emotional baggage, and I don’t think it all has to do with my childhood. It feels more like an old scar, it’s very undecipherable, like I was already born with it. Or perhaps I’ve a lot of Scorpio energy in this house : ) also my South Node conjuncts my Saturn here, even though it’s cusp is in Libra. Tricky generational thingy.

So, does anybody else look at their 4th house as some sort of mystery yet to be unveiled? Do you only read it as family/childhood imprint? Maybe a rich and private inner world? Let me know what do you think and your own experiences/aspects with the 4th house.

Thanks and much love.

nattyiv

I have a 4th house stellium with Sun, Moon, and Mercury all in Virgo.. My mom just passed a couple months ago and chiron is also hitting me everywhere. I too, have so much questions ablut the fourth house and the mysteries of it.. any way someone can take a look at my chart?

magnolia8

I tend to think 4th and 12th houses are the most mysterious in the zodiac. (Also, the 11th.)

My 4 y/o niece has Pluto conjunct the IC. I've never met her, so there's little I can say here; but she has experienced paternal abandonment. Her father is a drug addict. As far as I know, she's very expressive of her anger towards him.

And just to show that astrology is hereditary, I have Saturn conjunct the IC.:tongue: Also have Uranus and Neptune in this house. All planets are retrograde. Grew up very poor (Saturn), near water in a household with a strong occult/spiritual bent and other oddities (Neptune/Uranus), and eventually began to move around a LOT (Uranus). LOL.

Anyway, this is one of the best descriptions of Uranus in this house I've ever seen (most descriptions of this placement on the internet leave a lot to be desired). A bit long, but a good read.
http://astroarena12.blogspot.com/2017/06/uranus-in-4th-house.html

Last edited:

divinedata

Hi there, I have a 5 planet stellium in the 4th house in Scorpio. These are: Sun Moon Mecury Mars Neptune. the planets are all in Sagittarius.

I just started with Astrology so learning about this as I go. But this seems quite unusual?