Overlapping Sign-Blending

david starling

I was astounded to learn that in both Trad and Mod opinion, the Signs have definitive cut-offs ("walls") at the boundary points. For the Houses, I agree, but not for the Signs. I use a 5 degree orb, with slight blending of Sign-qualities at the first and last 5 degree points, gradually increasing to half-and-half at the boundaries themselves. The Sign the indicator is actually in, is dominant, but it shares some qualities with the previous and next Sign in the very early and late degrees.
I'm pretty sure a lot of us are of this opinion, which seems rather apparent to me, personally. Aries on the verge of Taurus, and Taurus within that 5 degree range of Aries, for example, aren't the same in effect as pure Aries and Taurus by themselves [IMO].
Any comments?

david starling

Anyone else (wrongly) assume that all astrologers see it as a somewhat gradual changeover, rather than an entirely abrupt, either/or proposition?

david starling

Why do you agree for the signs and not the houses? It would seem to me that the signs have more defined boundaries than the houses.

Because of experience. With a Piscean Asc and Sun, I feel the difference regarding the Solar transits, and see the difference in those born at the beginning and ending of Sun-sign placements. As for the Houses, those are areas of life, and Houses do have "walls". But the Signs are a continuum of qualities, and I see no reason WHATSOEVER for totally walling them apart.
Let's see if anyone else is blending Signs at the boundary-cusps, not realizing how unconventional it really is. Remember, I'm talking about Modern here. Trads will do whatever was done before. That's their job!

Last edited:

david starling

Thinking about it, this is a tropical concept, with a seasonal metaphor. The effects of the material Seasons do change gradually, with a mix at the beginning and ending of each. Robins are "harbingers" of Spring, and the uncertainty as to when Winter will really end after the Solstice, led to the "Groundhog Day" celebration. Even in ancient times, the Solstice was given 3 days to take effect. The trees BEGIN to show the gradual effects of the APPROACH of Autumn--it doesn't happen all at once.

Last edited:

david starling

Well, since instantaneous Sign-changeover is a cherished convention, I'll just agree to disagree with it, and let it go at that. The ship has long sailed on my Conventional Astrology credentials anyway! :lol:

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Well, since instantaneous Sign-changeover is a cherished convention, I'll just agree to disagree with it, and let it go at that. The ship has long sailed on my Conventional Astrology credentials anyway! :lol:
LongIslandBoatReck-031.jpg

JUPITERASC

That's the wreck of Traditional Astrology
before Modern astrologers decided to begin the hard work of
restoring it to seaworthy condition!
:biggrin:
on the contrary
the image represents the consequences of Modernist astrological
obsession with foisting one thousand five hundred asteroids on traditional :smile:
- and more discovered daily

A year ago, an asteroid they named Florence flew safely past the Earth, but
was close and bright enough to be seen without a telescope, if
you knew where to look.
The hurricane they named Florence did not fly safely by North America.

consequences of one thousand five hundred asteroids on Modernist astrology

136991648-the-cruise-ship-costa-concordia-lies-stricken-off-the.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

david starling

on the contrary
the image represents the consequences of Modernist astrological
obsession with foisting one thousand five hundred asteroids on traditional :smile:
- and more discovered daily

consequences of one thousand five hundred asteroids on Modernist astrology

136991648-the-cruise-ship-costa-concordia-lies-stricken-off-the.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

No, it wasn't foisted on Traditional Astrology. That's a preserved restoration. It's become a complicated addition to Modern Astrology though, I agree. I'm a modernist who currently uses no asteroids.

petosiris

Banned
Thinking about it, this is a tropical concept, with a seasonal metaphor. The effects of the material Seasons do change gradually, with a mix at the beginning and ending of each. Robins are "harbingers" of Spring, and the uncertainty as to when Winter will really end after the Solstice, led to the "Groundhog Day" celebration. Even in ancient times, the Solstice was given 3 days to take effect. The trees BEGIN to show the gradual effects of the APPROACH of Autumn--it doesn't happen all at once.

Weather changes all the time, not just during 12 days. - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/2C*.html#11

Last edited:

david starling

Quite honestly, I find it boring and childish.
I would like to continue to know more about what you think about astrology, David.
I say, get on with it and stay on point, both of you.

You're a Facilitator according to my version of Astrology. You find satisfaction in helping others along their life-paths, which is a blessing.
I live in an astrological world. It's how I relate to the reality you take for granted. I appreciate your concern, but the challenge/response dynamic is actually helpful to me. Thank you, though!