Gems + Stones: Tridosha Affinities

dr. farr

The following is a list of gems and stones affinitive to the 3 element classification (Tridosha) used in Ayurvedic Medicine and also in Vedic Astrology (jyotish) These affinities are based partly on my own studies and partly on information given me by Jaimini jyotishi adepts at Ponmudi forest, Kerala, India...

Vata = air (V)
Pitta - fire (P)
Kapha = water and earth (K)
When more than one letter is used it means a mixture of the relevant doshas (elements)

VATA
-alexandrite
-chiastolite
-diaspore
-iolite
-moldavite
-nuumit
-tektite
-thulite
-zoisite

PITTA
-agates (all types and colors)
-ametrine
-carnelian
-citrine
-eudialyte
-gold aventurine
-golden beryl
-lava rock
-morganite
-onyx
-red aventurine
-rock crystal
-rose quartz
-smokey quartz
-sugilite
-tourmaline (all varieties)
-yellow apatite

KAPHA
-azurite
-azurite-malachite
-chyrsocolla
-eilat stone
-malachite
-Shiva linga
-Silver
-snake jasper
-stromatolite
-turquoise
-ulexite

VATA + PITTA
-amethyst
-blue apatite
-blue topaz
-bronzite
-chrysoberyl
-cinnabar opal
-dumortierite
-emerald
-fire opal
-hypersthene
-imperial topaz
-leopardskin jasper
-libyan desert glass
-marble
-obsidian
-peridot
-prehnite
-quartzite
-rhyolite (various)
-ruby
-sapphire (all colors)
-tanzanite
-tiger iron
-white topaz
-zebra marble

VATA + KAPHA
-abalone shell
-amber
-ammonite
-aragonite
-boji stone
-bustamite
-charoite
-diamond (all varieties)
-diopside
-garnet (all varieties)
-idocrase
-jade
-jet
-kyanite
-labradorite
-lapis lazuli
-mother of pearl
-nephrite
-opals (except fire opal)
-opalite
-pearls
-psilomelane
-rhodonite
-serpentine
-sphene

PITTA + KAPHA
-apophyllite
-bloodstone
-calcite (all colors of)
-chalcedony (all varieties)
-corals (all colors of)
-chyrsoprase
-dalmatian stone
-dolomite
-epidote
-fluorite (all colors of)
-jaspers (all varieties except snake jasper)
-kunzite
-larimar
-lepidolite
-moonstone
-petrified wood
-rhodochrosite
-rutilated quartz
-sardonyx
-sodalite
-sunstone
-tiger's eye
-zircon (all colors of)

VATA + PITTA + KAPHA
-amazonite
-flint
-gold
-hematite
-magnetite
-meteorite (especially chondritic)
-mookaite
-oolite
-pyrite
-naturally occuring ruby/fuchsite/kyanite mixture
-spinel (all colors)
-unakite

Last edited:

dr. farr

AYURVEDIC ASTRO-TRIDOSHA ALLOCATIONS

The following are the dosha affinities of signs and planets according to Ayurvedic medicine. Although connected with the sidereal (constellational) zodiac used in Vedic astrology, these could be equally applied to our tropical signs for practical purposes.

ZODIACAL

Aries = Pitta
Taurus = Kapha
Gemini = Vata
Cancer = Kapha
Leo = Pitta
Virgo = Vata
Libra = Vata
Scorpio = Pitta
Sagittarius = Pitta
Capricorn = Vata
Aquarius = Vata
Pisces = Kapha

PLANETS (traditional)

Sun = Pitta
Moon (in general without regard to phase) = Kapha
Mercury = Vata
Venus = Kapha
Mars = Pitta
Jupiter = Kapha
Saturn = Vata

PLANETS (modern additions)

Uranus = Vata
Neptune = Kapha
Pluto = Pitta

MOON PHASES (+ the Lunar Nodes)

Waxing (day of the New Moon until day before the Full Moon) = Vata+Kapha
Full (day of Full Moon) = Pitta+Kapha
Waning (day following Full Moon until day before New Moon) = Kapha

North Node ("Rahu"; "Dragon's Head") = Vata
South Node ("Ketu"; "Dragon's Tail") = Pitta

Last edited:

shaunmills

Hi,
I live in USA. I have always been attracted towards gems and their affect on our destiny. I have completed my MS in accounting but am not able to find a decent job. Kindly suggest suitable gemstone for me that would enhance my career.
Thanks in advance!!

Lion o ness

I have a attraction for abalone shell and Silver...

These are the only two types of jewelry I will personal wear.

Im assuming abalone shell is Water..

I see Silver is Water/Earth

Does that suppose to mean anything?

dr. farr

Might mean that there is a need for balancing the Kapha element in your energy field (remember this list is approaching the elements from the Ayurvedic energy model, which is slightly different than our classical Western elemental model)

Last edited:

beginner

Here is my chart

http://img.worsttech.com/view.php?filename=504stone.jpg

I have weak venus because it is in 12th house :( and a weak saturn and in opposition with jupiter. :((
Please have a look at my chart and tell me which stone or combination of stones are good for me?
Thanks

Beginner

Might mean that there is a need for balancing the Kapha element in your energy field (remember this is list is approaching the elements from the Ayurvedic energy model, which is slightly different than our classical Western elemental model)

Last edited:

Lion o ness

Wow... I went back and looked at the planets. It makes alot of sense. :)

Cancer = Kapha Venus = Kapha
Pisces = Kapha
Neptune = Kapha
Jupiter = Kapha
Waning (day following Full Moon until day before New Moon) = Kapha

Makes alot of sense..

dr. farr

Here is my chart

http://img.worsttech.com/view.php?filename=504stone.jpg

I have weak venus because it is in 12th house :( and a weak saturn and in opposition with jupiter. :((
Please have a look at my chart and tell me which stone or combination of stones are good for me?
Thanks

Beginner

In a tridosha analysis this chart looks like the dosha Kapha is in need of balancing (note the Kapha affinity for both the rxJupiter and Venus) Vata and Pitta doshas seem dominant, so I would recommend Kapha stones: to further support the Venus factor, special consideration should be given to:
Malachite-Eilat stone-Azurite/Malachite (Azurite affinitive for Jupiter) and Chrysocolla; with more of a Jupiter emphasis (although still working to support Kapha balance) Turquoise is also a definite consideration.

Read about these stones in the lithotherapy/crystal healing literature and select one or more which seem to best resonate with you.

beginner

Thanks for ur answers.

Malachite-Eilat stone-Azurite/Malachite are very difficult to find in my country,
What to do think about combination of "OPAL" and "Blue Sapphire"?? Is this combination right for me??

In a tridosha analysis this chart looks like the dosha Kapha is in need of balancing (note the Kapha affinity for both the rxJupiter and Venus) Vata and Pitta doshas seem dominant, so I would recommend Kapha stones: to further support the Venus factor, special consideration should be given to:
Malachite-Eilat stone-Azurite/Malachite (Azurite affinitive for Jupiter) and Chrysocolla; with more of a Jupiter emphasis (although still working to support Kapha balance) Turquoise is also a definite consideration.

Read about these stones in the lithotherapy/crystal healing literature and select one or more which seem to best resonate with you.

dr. farr

Opals or Blue Sapphire? Not in my understanding of the indicated tridosha-balancing stones based on the above natal; the crystals I mentioned are readily available on various internet sites,
Remember that turquoise is also a definite consideration.

Virinchi

i had an interesting , rather shocking experience with these colored stones.
my father bought a white sapphire 15 yrs back and made a ring in gold but never used it.
one day i asked him why dont he sell it off when its not being used.(this was 12 yrs back)

he gave me the ring with stone to sell it to same jeweller who sold it.
when i went to his store, i was shocked to hear his words that he will pay 80% of gold rate and nothing for that stone as its just a stone and has no value !!!!!

when they sell, its very costly, when they buy its worthless !
so, understand the power of gemstones

beginner

try "BLUE SAPPHIRE", don't forget to check the inclusion to make sure stone is real or not.
I am >70% sure that stone will effect you either positive or negative because Blue Sapphir is the strongest and fastest acting gemstone

i had an interesting , rather shocking experience with these colored stones.
my father bought a white sapphire 15 yrs back and made a ring in gold but never used it.
one day i asked him why dont he sell it off when its not being used.(this was 12 yrs back)

he gave me the ring with stone to sell it to same jeweller who sold it.
when i went to his store, i was shocked to hear his words that he will pay 80% of gold rate and nothing for that stone as its just a stone and has no value !!!!!

when they sell, its very costly, when they buy its worthless !
so, understand the power of gemstones

Last edited:

beginner

Result of Tridosha & ascendant result are different???
as per vedic astrology Blue sapphire is good for capricorn/Aquarius ascendant. In western I have aquarius ascandent and In vedic capricorn ascendant both ascendant are in favor of sapphire.

and venus is friend of saturn, If opal (stone for venus and subsitute of diamond) wear on middle finger along with blue sapphire then both stones get more power.
I am new to Astrology that's why I am asking too many questions, because I want to learn astrology & gemology. :w00t:

Opals or Blue Sapphire? Not in my understanding of the indicated tridosha-balancing stones based on the above natal; the crystals I mentioned are readily available on various internet sites,
Remember that turquoise is also a definite consideration.

dr. farr

Yes, tridosha analysis is not the same as the traditional Vedic allocation of certain stones to rashi or planets, although one approach does NOT (necessarily) cancel out the other; the tridosha analysis is broader and includes many more stones than the rashi/planet allocations, but they can be used in conjunction with each other-as long as one knows what one is doing!

Also, relative to sign (rashi) and planet, we want to use the stones which support the positive/strong/benefic sign/rashi or planet, NOT detrimented or debilitated or malefic ones! This is very important (just like, in tridosha, we do not want to use a stone that supports a dosha-element-which is already in "excess" or otherwise over-represented in the analysis)
If one is using jyotish analysis, the best way to determine which rashi or planet is stronger/benefically oriented is by the ashtakavarga "bindhu" totals; there is a somewhat similar method from ancient Greco/Roman astrology in the West, which is totally forgotten "lost" method; but the more complex ashtakavarga analysis of in fairly popular in jyotish today, and information on its methodology is easily available...

Last edited:

dr. farr

Actually the Vedic method of determining planetary strength is very similar to Tradionalist Western dignity/debility concepts and practices, so yes one could use our traditional Western dignity/debility evaluation to made the determination of "strongest planet" for selecting supporting stones/crystals...

The ashtakavarga evaluation is a very complex Vedic method, but is probably even superior to the dignity/debility evaluations of jyotish or traditional Western astrology.
I myself have by no means mastered ashtakavarga evaluation, but there is a somewhat related method (now long forgotten except in certain esoteric traditions) once used by the ancient Greco/Romans that uses dark/shadowy/void/bright zodiacal degree affinities of planet's placements and their rays (to each of the signs) for making a benefic/malefic estimation somewhat along the lines of Vedic ashtakavarga evaluation.

A quick tridosha look at your natal would lead me to suggest the V+P+K group of stones/crystals for consideration; planet-wise, the jyotsih gem for the Moon would seem also quite indicated (pearls; moonstone)

govindum

Aha, thank you!
Today it’s my lunar return, a good day to begin wearing my pearl earrings (just kidding).
I will research the ashtakavarga evaluation when I have more free time, now I'm quite busy preparing for exams in June.
Also, where does amethyst fit in your gem classification? It's one of my favourites and I've got plenty of it.

yes after result you can do. just buy BHRAT PARASHAR HORA SASHTRA (a ancient book of vedic /indian astrology. where you will find the original text. ASTAKVERGA is a hindu astrological terms.