Escapist Tendencies

magnolia8

Hello,
Just curious: what planets or aspects lead to severe escapist tendencies? Already I have in mind anything connected to Neptune, but is there anything else? Thank you.

Phoenix Venus

"escapist tendencies" is sort of a broad description and thus can be manifested in many ways, and likewise show up in the chart in many ways.

For instance someone who checks out emotionally or intimately might have moon square uranus or saturn.

Someone who avoids confrontation and runs from their problems might have mars in a poor position and in harsh aspect to neptune.

Unaspected or conflicted mercury could represent mental barriers.

A strong twelfth house especially if ascendant or mc ruler are placed there could represent someone who is more isolated.

There are a lot of factors involved. It takes looking at the chart as a whole because there are always things in charts that can offset others or focus the energy in other ways. (for instance someone could have sun in twelfth making little aspect and thus give a point towards isolation but a mars conj asc making many close aspects would offset towards more proactivity.) For someone to have extreme tendencies towards one type of expression, there have to be multiple indicators with little to offset it.

Lin

Absolutely agree with the above.
Plus there is good escapism and damaging escapism.
There is fantasy and music and fun....
and there is ignorance and denial....
So...
show the chart! YOUR particular type of escapism will show as well as the reasons for it and ways to perhaps modify it.
If it's not your chart show it without a name.
LIN

MooninTaurus

Sorry folks, that last post didn't work.:unsure:

While I try and get my head around uploading a chart the relevant aspects IMO in that chart were ;-

Moon in Pisces
Jupiter and Neptune sq Asc
Jupiter & Neptune conj i/c
MC in 9th House in Pisces.

Lin

Lifelong escapists tendencies would show up as addictive personality. And I don't see that here. Were you talking about yourself?
It's possible that you're talking about a transitory issue. Even if it's a couple of years ....it still might be temporary.
We all have Neptune somewhere and all need to escape from time to time...
It's when we can't STOP escaping that the trouble begins.
Also if we come from a family which has the tendencies of addiction or escapism this can be problematic in our own lives as we tend to 'copy' behaviors of family even if we aren't aware of it.
LIN

serafin5

Lifelong escapists tendencies would show up as addictive personality. And I don't see that here. Were you talking about yourself?
It's possible that you're talking about a transitory issue. Even if it's a couple of years ....it still might be temporary.
We all have Neptune somewhere and all need to escape from time to time...
It's when we can't STOP escaping that the trouble begins.
Also if we come from a family which has the tendencies of addiction or escapism this can be problematic in our own lives as we tend to 'copy' behaviors of family even if we aren't aware of it.
LIN

Really great astrology advice Lin because you are so right as I have had issues in this area. Neptune and my Asc are conj in Scorpio not to mention my Moon sq Mars, Sun, and Saturn but ultimately it's strengthened my character and I'm gonna be ok.

Thank you!
Serafin5

Lin

Neptune on a Scorpio Asc is one of the hardest placements to work with.
It's like going thru life with a veil over your eyes....you have trouble seeing clearly and others have trouble seeing the 'real you.'
EVEN when you are trying hard to be 'real' you may confuse others. It's like looking into a foggy mirror...
There will be periods when you are very clear...but the thing about Neptune is that you can never quite trust what you're looking at.

And you might either over trust or under trust others. Of course other placements will modify that Neptune....plus the progressed ascendant might help you.
If you look at your progressed chart you may find that Neptune is not a main concern anymore.
But of course the natal chart is forever....I know that sounds contradictory....but it isn't. Both things can be true.
You just need to know what is real at all times....and one way to do this is to always attempt to be honest yourself....with others AND with yourself.

the only thing you cant help is how others see you. However: you can make changes to your person that might say....I'm not spacy or confused. I'm real and down to earth and trustworthy. Remember that the Asc is only the First impression. As people get to know you they will most likely see beyone the Neptune.

BUT....Neptune on the Asc can also mean that your mom was given drugs at your birth and you didn't 'experience' it. I know....this sounds farfetched but if you've ever heard of the author Sondra Ray....she writes about the birth experience and how it can be carried with you your whole life to one degree or another . Check her out.
LIN

serafin5

Neptune on a Scorpio Asc is one of the hardest placements to work with.
It's like going thru life with a veil over your eyes....you have trouble seeing clearly and others have trouble seeing the 'real you.'
EVEN when you are trying hard to be 'real' you may confuse others. It's like looking into a foggy mirror...
There will be periods when you are very clear...but the thing about Neptune is that you can never quite trust what you're looking at.

And you might either over trust or under trust others. Of course other placements will modify that Neptune....plus the progressed ascendant might help you.
If you look at your progressed chart you may find that Neptune is not a main concern anymore.
But of course the natal chart is forever....I know that sounds contradictory....but it isn't. Both things can be true.
You just need to know what is real at all times....and one way to do this is to always attempt to be honest yourself....with others AND with yourself.

the only thing you cant help is how others see you. However: you can make changes to your person that might say....I'm not spacy or confused. I'm real and down to earth and trustworthy. Remember that the Asc is only the First impression. As people get to know you they will most likely see beyone the Neptune.

BUT....Neptune on the Asc can also mean that your mom was given drugs at your birth and you didn't 'experience' it. I know....this sounds farfetched but if you've ever heard of the author Sondra Ray....she writes about the birth experience and how it can be carried with you your whole life to one degree or another . Check her out.
LIN

Wow that's a lot of information Lin and I appreciate it! However, I try very hard to be real, honest and say what I mean and mean what I say. I have always tried to have integrity, morality and spirituality too. Yes, I have been lost a bit due to tragedy; the heart can only take so much.

My mother was a "hippie" and drug user later in her life but perhaps that's indicative?

Thanks Lin
Serafin5

emily23

Hi all,
Could you include a strong Jupiter/9th house in this, travel abroad to "get away from it all" ?

thats a difficult question to answer for me as i have strong jupter and sagitarius in my chart
i would say its the opposite of escapism as one desires to learn and find answers and explore (never had a desire to travel the world but maybe thats because its all happening in my fourth house so home learning/exploring)
But learning can be about about not living in the real world if its all one does most of the time

id say on balance NO, its not escapism as neptune can be

Last edited:

folelser

hello I do have scapist tendencies. specially when I was younger
I have both sun and moon squared with neptune and uranus. I think those are what affects me the most.

I was a teenage who didnt know how to face the real world and I stayed in my room depressed, I used food as emotional comfort and became addicted. Also I always had the fantasy to live in a far place where I would be happier.

By the way, why would be MC in 9th a revelant aspect?

Last edited: