Which meaning should I go with

CapGoddess

I'm having trouble figuring which meanings I should use for the sabian symbols.
For example if the degree is 24 degrees 9 Capricorn should I read under 23-24 or 24-25. I'd like to be able to figure this out. Wondering if I've been using the right meanings for interpreting my chart.

Any help would be great.

-CapGoddess

piercethevale

Yes!... and be sure to interpret the symbology as through the nature of the astro-object in question.
For example the 25th of Capricorn [as you have asked about] is the Part of Imprisonment for the chart i claim to be that of Jesus/Yeshua and the Part of Imprisonment symbolically represents 'THAT' which we are 'kept away from'.
In Jesus/Yeshuas life He wasn't allowed to rely on those 'Traditional' things of his culture to succeed in His dharma.

Read for the symbol for the 25th of Capricorn here and you'll see what I mean.
http://mindfire.ca/The Sabian Symbols/An Astrological Mandala - Capricorn 16-30.htm

Judy_AzVirgo

Definitely round up. Also keep in mind that there are different interpretations regarding the Elsie Wheeler psychic pictures, including Jones, Rudhyar, and more recently Lynda Hill, who tried to update the meanings a bit.

Then meditate on the symbol, to see what you come up with that relates to YOU -- symbols/pictures from your own mind; word play; situations or interactions; and so on. I.e., what does "oriental rug" mean to you? rugs in general? the word "precious"? How does "reliance on tradition" relate to your life?

CapGoddess

Thank you all for the replies.

Judy, thanks for the advice. I know with some of them I know where they relate to my life, others are not so clear.

-CapGoddess

sdh3

Capricorn 25: An oriental-rug dealer

THEME 1: BRINGING UP vs. KNOCKING DOWN

The word oriental descends from the Indo-European (IE) root er-1 which means “to move, set in motion.” Among its paronyms is the word rear which means “to care for (children or a child) during the early stages of life; bring up”, “to lift upright, raise”, and “to build; erect.”

The word rug descends from the IE root reue-2 which means “to smash, knock down, tear out, dig up, uproot.” One of its paronyms is ruin, definitions of which include “total destruction or disintegration, either physical, moral, social, or economic” and “to harm irreparably”, “to reduce to poverty or bankruptcy”, and “to deprive of chastity.”

THEME 2: DIFFICULTIES/TROUBLE/SUFFERING

Another paronym of rug is rough, a word whose definitions include “difficult to endure or live through” and “unpleasant or difficult.”

The word dealer descends from the IE root dail- which means “to divide.” One of its paronyms is ordeal, one definition of which is “a difficult or painful experience, especially one that severely tests character or endurance.”

Judy_AzVirgo

CapGoddess, I know what you mean about some of the symbols not being very clear. I use them with Sun, Moon and Ascendant, and sometimes Ascendant ruler. That's about it. Usually, at least two of the "big three" are spot on. The others seem not to be so meaningful.

piercethevale

CapGoddess, I know what you mean about some of the symbols not being very clear. I use them with Sun, Moon and Ascendant, and sometimes Ascendant ruler. That's about it. Usually, at least two of the "big three" are spot on. The others seem not to be so meaningful.

Then you need to better your understanding. They have proven to be symbolically active for the Arabic Parts... If you read my thread, 'The Birth Chart of Jesus?', you'll find that every Part that is produced by His chart is symbolically illustrating the precept that produced the outcome of that particular Part...prime example is the Part of Fortune for that chart [Part of Fortune is what becomes active in helping one be the most 'Fortunate' in accomplishing ones life mission, one's 'Dharma' to those of Oriental philosophies. His Part of Catastrophe @ the 28th degree of Virgo...while confusing if one only reads the symbol given by the clairvoyant as " A BALDHEADED MAN WHO HAS SEIZED POWER."... becomes most clear when one also reads the definitions and explanations given by the unequaled 'Master [IMHO] of the Sabian Symbols', the renowned 20th century Astrologer and Philosopher, the late Dane Rudhyar....as [excerpts] " The sheer power of personality in times that call for decision.
Whether at the religious or at the socio-political and cultural level there comes a time when obsolescent patterns of order and cultural refinement have to be radically and relentlessly challenged. Catabolic personages emerge to seize power and dictate decisions that alter the structures of society; or within an individual life, an intense urge for cathartic changes mobilizes the will, and traumatic decisions are made. "

This is the reason I tell everyone to begin your introduction to the Sabians through the book by Dane Rudhyar. Get to know his interpretations before utilizing other astrologers that have written about them.
Lynda Hill has helped by altering a few that would have no meaning to those outside of American culture, Occidental cultures, Christianity etc. Such as one symbol that was given with the term 'Heading West'..as the direction West has always symbolized new hope, opportunities, and new beginnings to Americans and some Europeans...but has no such symbolic recognition to the majority of the Earths present population...or the symbol of 'Santa Claus filling stockings..'...which has no meaning to those outside of Christianity.

sdh3, our fellow member here [Hey sdh3...long time no hear...good to see your're still with us!] has produced a book of visual images that mirror those descriptions originally given by the clairvoyant, Elsie Wheeler, and taken a new approach of exploring and giving dissertations on the etymologies and philologies of the Sabian Symbols descriptions as, they were given by Elsie Wheeler and, written down by Marc Edmond Jones. These symbols given in visual form for the first time [as far as I know of, anyways] can vastly assist those that are 'wired' cerebrally for other than verbal comprehension...and the words dissected and analyzed for those more overly attuned to Verbal comprehension.
It's very much like the Bible, which is best understood if one can read consonantal Hebrew...possibly adequate understanding if read in Greek or other language done 'trans-literally' ... dangerous to read when loosely translated into modern colloquial languages by people that have only translation technical skills and no spiritual comprehension. The same can just as well be said of the Sabian Symbols.

...and if all else fails anyone of you members in comprehending what the Sabian Symbol means in context to the use...I'm here, and will continue to be, to assist all for as long as I am still able to see and use a keyboard...until I eventually get my own web site up and running.

Last edited: