The psychology of Pluto square Sun

TransformingSelf

Hello Everyone,

What are your thoughts and experiences with the psychological implications of Pluto and the Sun in any transit or aspect form. Feel free to discuss Pluto square Sun or Sun square Pluto. Both of these astrological bodies have effects on the psychological conscious, and I would like to know more about them in depth. Thank you!

Lightrider

After reading the op of this thread and this one, i think this thread is best suited for my post. Here it goes:

Lightrider said:
I have this aspect and i have to say i can relate a lot to the descriptions. Not an easy aspect, not at all.

It all began when i started elementary school. Everything was so alien to me, i was like very paranoid. For some reason i saw everyone as my enemy. "DON'T TRUST ANYONE" was my favorite quote from Stone Cold, because it was so true for me. Also i wasn't interested in people, there was nothing good about them and i could rely on myself alone. Why would i need them? I was trying to avoid people at that point, but, when i couldn't, i knew i had to attack. To make it all worse, i was pretty naive and i was very small compared to other kids. They saw me as someone they could take advantage of, or did they? That's what i thought at that time and, when they started teasing and bullying me, all of my suspicions were proven true. I grew frustrated and resentful, i hated them all. I made some friends though, i don't remember how i managed to do that. The thing is i don't remember ever seeing them as enemies, there was something in them that made me trust them. Little by little i began to understand what friendship meant. But i never forgot about "enmity". If you were not my friend, you were my enemy. Ironically, those who were bullying me at first also became my friends. They told me and my other friends "you guys are tough" or something like that. At this point i became what i always fought against. Me and my "gang" liked to beat the **** out of those kids who we regarded as "weak".

Before i started secondary school, my parents decided to transfer me to another school. Same old story began to repeat itself, but this time i was more in control of myself. At that age i started to show more interest in my math, psychology, philosophy and astrology. I was becoming "nerdy", which brushed many people the wrong way. However i didn't give a **** and if some ******* dared to ***** with me, i would just teach him a lesson. Btw, i was not physically strong, but i relied a lot on sneak attacks and "dirty fighting". After some encounters, people knew i was not someone to ***** with. Or so i assumed, because people started avoiding me. It took me like 2 years to make friends again. This Gemini dude i was best friends with suggested me i should do some meditation about how i approached society. So i did, and i started to realize things about myself, which explained a lot about the way people approached me. I was becoming more aware of people's emotions, i could actually relate to people. I felt like my mind was opening to new things, which made me really happy. Also people started to approach me more, i made many friends. I also noticed people respected me a lot, calling me "Sir" (not sarcastic, in a polite way) sometimes. I was not used to receive such treatment at all, and that also made me very happy.

When i read about Sun square Pluto what i thought was "oh man, that's me!". It's an aspect that gives you some "antisocial" traits. I've dealt with this most of my life and i'm still here giving my best to master it. People are no longer afraid of me, but i have some problems to connect with them. I need to work those out.

It would be great to see another story and insights. Hope i didn't bore you guys :biggrin:

Peace.

waybread

I don't have this aspect, but based upon what I've come across on astrology forums and a few people I know personally...

People with this aspect tend to conceptualize the world in terms of "dominate or be dominated." It shows up a lot in inter-personal power dynamics. Needless to say, it can be stressful for both them and the people around them.

I think Lightrider's childhood experience is pretty typical. Kids with this aspect are often bullied. Later in life, they may decide that "the best defence is a good offense."

Also, people with harsh sun-Pluto aspects often have a dysfunctional relationship with their father.

A more empowering interpretation is to focus on Pluto's capacity for profound personal transformation. Sun-Pluto people are on a fast-track to personal growth!

If they can't do this, they are left with trying to best their spouse or friend in a pointless argument, simply so they can maintain the upper hand.

But then, Pluto loves stark choices....

myst1calz

Hello Everyone,

What are your thoughts and experiences with the psychological implications of Pluto and the Sun in any transit or aspect form. Feel free to discuss Pluto square Sun or Sun square Pluto. Both of these astrological bodies have effects on the psychological conscious, and I would like to know more about them in depth. Thank you!
well, pluto is really the only major planet that aspects my sun in terms of the orb size..i have saturn squaring it also but pluto's influence pretty much overrides everything else.. dealing with the issues of this stressful placement my whole life isnt an overstatement.. i have no regrets for my actions as it was a way i chose to understand myself better..just as i have no hard feelings for those that wanna cause harm towards self and others.. as this is a way they chose to understand themselves better..that's what this aspect has taught me personally.. either way, everyone's lovely..:whistling:

i appreciate your guidance...there exists true love in and all around us..

Last edited:

TransformingSelf

Lightrider, your story was far from boring and really moving. Thank you for telling it. It shows how much you were deeply affected by the aspect. Bullying definitely seems to be related to Sun square Pluto and Pluto Square Sun as it is all about a heightened sense of power in the self. It reminds me of Erikson's stages of developmental psychology. You talked about trust issues, and it might have something to do with the earliest infancy stage, where infants are going through trust/mistrust and if trust is not gained there, they grow up feeling vulnerable. When you talked about your small height in school, it brings out that physical consequence of Sun square Pluto, like the bigger the height, the more powerful you are. The sun really brings out physical traits like height as it is that outward expression of the self. At that time in your life, you were feeling the tension of not meeting up to those around you in height and control. It may not be so ironic that those who were bullying you at first became your friends because they saw the same "not my friend, then you're my enemy" attitude in you. Bullies have that alienation from the self and others. And it seems like the Sun square Pluto aspect is alienating as one has to deal with struggles within the self, and you can't let anyone in till you figure yourself out and get yourself in one piece. I related to your story because I've experienced bullying as a child myself. I can definitely relate to the height as the bullying I experienced was by a middle or high school student when I was a small five-year-old. I still remember his towering figure and forceful tone of voice even now. The second time I went through it, it was in middle school and by a group of boys who threw blocks at other friends and me. But like you, I pulled a sneak attack and picked up a handful of blocks and threw it at their backs when they weren't looking, while laughing till my insides hurt. They turned around stunned, not expecting us to fight back, but they didn't know me and my sense of self has always been strong. I have never been able to let myself or others be disrespected because of the value I've always had for all forms of life. It comes from my own psychological development. It's really true what you've said about meditation. I also do it, and it really helps me understand not only other people but myself. It helps to show a person the relationships between self and others. What might help you connect to other people is letting go of that tendency to master but just let yourself be and listen to/read their stories. Not only will you connect to them, but master the art of connecting by giving others the space to reach out to you. Keep the faith in yourself!

Waybread, I very much agree with your in-depth ideas. It is about domination, and I can see it starting from infancy when there are troubles with trust in the self. This tendency to dominate comes from feelings of insecurity with the self, as though the self is not good enough, and the self compensates by imposing and being recognized in any way possible. It's true, bullying has been and still is common, yet if only people knew astrology and could work on their relationships, they would be better off, physically, emotionally, and psychologically! It really helps when the aspect/transit is recognized where one works out their inner power struggles and insecurity, so that they come to a point of peace within and that comes out in their connections with others. Thank you!

Myst1calz, thank you for your experience. You have a lovely heart. Yes, Pluto is powerful, but it seems like it's helping you know yourself down to the core of who you are. I believe the planets are there to help us in some way. They bring out the best in us. What you say is true, there is no need for regrets. It's those hard times that show us the strength we have and how much we can help ourselves and the world we know. People and their challenges, what would this world be without us!

Thank you for all your inspiring thoughts and experiences!

Lightrider

Hmm, honestly we don't have much of a relationship. It has been very difficult, because we are just too different. She has a much more active, domineering and social personality, whereas i'm more introverted and passive. She also has this very conservative and materialistic approach to life, which quite honestly i can't relate to. She is also the most obstinate and dogmatic person you could ever met. We used to quarrel more during my "rebel" phase, but one day i realized i was just wasting my time by going against her. I don't like being a trouble maker, so i decided to take my distance from her. It's not like we don't talk to each other, she talks to me about things that happened during her day. But when she asks "what about you?" all i answer is "nothing much". There are things she is just not going to understand anyways.

She has made it pretty clear she wants me to succeed, to make lotza money, to marry a good woman, have a big family and the like. I couldn't care less about that. All i want is a roof, a bed, a toilet, food and all of those basic things so i can function as a decent human being. All i want right now is to get my career degree and to get a stable job so i can be an independent person.

@TransformingSelf

It's amazing to know there's so much things we can relate to. I'm going to follow your advice, just to be myself. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Juno11

Ok. It was kind of a long shot, but I figured maybe pluto could be a symbol of mother. I know the Moon symbolizes mother, fertility and birth in a worldly way, but maybe Pluto would be the higher octave of this, indicating the spiritual birth, spiritual mother...I dunno :)

Anyway, wouldn't you say Sun square Pluto indicates a struggle between self and soul?

waybread

Pluto as a Roman god was actually a masculinized version of a far older Great Goddess who was both "womb and tomb." Think of the earth as both the source of life, and the grave that receives our bodies after we die.

If you have a day birth, Venus may symbolize your mother better than the moon. Also look at the planets ruling your MC/IC axis. One or the other should indicate Mom for you.

Juno11

Interesting. Maybe it wasn't so far fetched after all. The stories relating to this aspects are really interesting. What do you think if the theory of it being a struggle between self (sun) and soul (Pluto)? Also, someone mentioned that Pluto could symbolize the father, so if you'd like to share the relationship with your father, lightrider, that would be much appreciated.

TransformingSelf

Juno and Waybread, you bring up important ideas. I've been thinking about the gender of astrology and psychology for a long time. In astrology and psychology, a lot of their earlier proponents came to conclusions from their own experiences and the traditional fields ended up being created from their views. In traditional societies, the male was generally thought to be the authority and female thought to be deferent and these beliefs filtered into early psychology and astrology. Psychoanalyst Freud brought out the authority of the male in his theory where the male child wants to take control over his mother and female child defers to the father. Astrologers, from leaders like Napoleon to writers like Chaucer, arranged the astrological natal chart and planets by their notions of the masculine and feminine. The sun being the Father, powerful luminary, generating its own light, and moon being the Mother, passive luminary, passing on that light. When we try to figure out a transit or aspect like Sun square Pluto or Pluto square Sun, traditional astrology would have us think that the person with such aspect or transit is going through tensions with the father or authoritative male figure, like the boss, depending on which house it is. The psychology of the aspect or transit is all about trying to dominate or risk being dominated. This comes from a fear that the self that has been created will be lost. I used to think a lot about why the male psyche is thought to be authoritative and ambitious and it seems to come from that elevation of the self from the material, that the self has to be above it to be spiritual. In the general female psyche, the self is at the same level as the material world because it has to be connected to it to be spiritual. Juno, you definitely noticed a deep part of Sun square Pluto, because it falls into the self struggling to move as close as possible, away from the material, to connect back to the spirit that is. This worked for the traditional astrologers and psychologists, but not for everybody. As you talked about Lightrider, your mother has that domineering and social personality, that was traditionally thought to be a masculine personality. This brings into question the differences in gender because women can be dominant and authoritative and men can be deferent and nurturing. We can see it today with some fathers nurturing children and mothers taking on authoritative positions. The Sun and Pluto square will not be so much about gender as about the person dealing with power struggles from an authority, be she the mother or he the father. The way to break away from such struggles is just like Lightrider is doing, to come away from the parent or parents involved in the struggle and to find yourself on your own. Keep the connection with them so you see that the struggle itself did not have to be when their lives are not so different from yours. There's no doubt with your optimism, you'll be getting the career and stable job that brings you happiness.
It is amazing just how many answers we find with astrology.

Juno11

Lightrider!

I have been looking at your chart and as I'm slowly starting to learn of houses, planets and aspects it hit me that your Pluto-sun square is particularly challenging. You have your aqua sun in the 8th house which would maybe indicate that your collective desires are influenced by what's going on behind the scenes of your social surroundings. Your desire of being part of a group is challenged by your intuition which is telling you that there is more than the eye can see and indeed, no reason to trust people that your aqua sun so easily read. Then you have Pluto in Scorpio in the 5th house of love! Once again, also in intimate romantic relationships you will turn every rock, wondering what's under it, not trusting your loved one completely. Also, these placements are square eachother which mean you feel lonely, not finding comfort neither in friendships nor in intimate relationships.

Like you know, I'm new to this and my interpretation may be totally off beat, but if you can relate to it I would like to share some advice.

First of all you are right. When it all comes down to it you really can't trust anyone. You especially have a deep understanding of that which may cause you a lot of frustration and sadness. Second of all, you are not entirly right :) because as long as you trust yourself, you will always have someone to rely on. And it's the same for everyone. We are all left to ourselves, only you have the blessing and the curse of understanding it. Nevertheless, there is such a thing called love, even though its not the same as in the movies. It's about trusting the here and now, and believing that the good feelings you are enjoying are just as true.

I think you'll do alright. This aspect, if you embrace it and learn from it can be a blessing, especially when you grow older.

Last edited:

Lightrider

Sometimes, yeah. Lonely is the word. There's nobody to trust but myself. Always being told what to do, it's fortunate i haven't lost myself completely. I believe i can achieve my goals, but in order to trust myself more i need more self knowledge. So far, i think i may not be able to achieve anything if i don't change my ways. All of this is me preparing for a huge transformation.

I would appreciate it if you could share some advice with me, Juno11 :D

Oh, about my father. It's like with my mother, but to a lesser degree. We have more things in common, but we have lots of differences. My father is convinced i will see things like he does when i'm older, but i really don't think so.

@TransformingSelf

It's amazing indeed, right? I have always dreamed of my independence, and now i realize there's this desire of being myself. I think it will be a long way, but i will work hard. I just have to figure out how and i will be ready to embark on my journey!

Last edited:

Juno11

Of course, my pleasure! If there's anything in particular then let me know. Anyway, I'd love to talk about it more, but gotta go to bed now, its way past bedtime here on the other side of the pond.

Talk to you later:)

waybread

Interesting. Maybe it wasn't so far fetched after all. The stories relating to this aspects are really interesting. What do you think if the theory of it being a struggle between self (sun) and soul (Pluto)? Also, someone mentioned that Pluto could symbolize the father, so if you'd like to share the relationship with your father, lightrider, that would be much appreciated.

Jeffrey Wolf Green has identified Pluto with the soul, but I just don't buy it. The soul pops up in traditional astrology, where it usually means the personality. In modern astrology, if we think of the soul in a spiritual sense, it has to be more than the horoscope in its entirety. Why? Because the soul predates its incarnation on earth, and presumably survives after death. If the soul is part of what God is (or deity of one's choice,) then God cannot be limited by the planet Pluto.

However, sun-Pluto contacts seem to bring one's identity and domination issues into such strong focus that they must be addressed. Ideally, sun-Pluto means an ongoing engaging with profound growth and change in one's sense of self.

In traditional astrology the sun is the father in a day birth; and Saturn in a night birth. However, for a lot of people with difficult sun-Pluto aspects, it would seem that the sun is one's own identity and Pluto takes on an aggressive, under-worldly, domineering father persona.

Also, even if we define Pluto as soul, many people do not have sun-Pluto contacts; or else they are trines or sextiles, which suggest less struggle.

Juno11

Sometimes, yeah. Lonely is the word. There's nobody to trust but myself. Always being told what to do, it's fortunate i haven't lost myself completely. I believe i can achieve my goals, but in order to trust myself more i need more self knowledge. So far, i think i may not be able to achieve anything if i don't change my ways. All of this is me preparing for a huge transformation.

I would appreciate it if you could share some advice with me, Juno11 :D

Oh, about my father. It's like with my mother, but to a lesser degree. We have more things in common, but we have lots of differences. My father is convinced i will see things like he does when i'm older, but i really don't think so.

@TransformingSelf

It's amazing indeed, right? I have always dreamed of my independence, and now i realize there's this desire of being myself. I think it will be a long way, but i will work hard. I just have to figure out how and i will be ready to embark on my journey!

Mornin' :)

I promised to give some more advice, but first I have to say I don't really believe in advice. I believe in recognition. So it will be a little bit of both.

First of all, you are 21, and if you're still living with your parents, you should try your best to save enough money, or whatever is holding you back and move out. Even if you'd have the most wonderful relationship with them, at this age you need your freedom.
The twenties are a f****** rollercoaster. You will spend the next 10 years wondering who you are, why you aren't happy and why everyone else seem to make it. They are not. The twenties are like this for everyone. You are shaping your adult personality and that's a very confusing thing. But you'll be alright - this is life, that's all. Also, the 20's are awesome. Go travel, go to festivals, feel the extacy of freedom. Take your car and go.

The other thing I want to talk to you about is a trait very rare for anyone, no matter the age. You have tremendous insight, both in your own and other peoples psychology. The fact that you are so young and are able to pinpoint and more important, truly understand inner conflicts and inner challanges only means with age, this will turn into wisdom. From your posts I really think you are a good writer, you remind me of J.D Salinger :) Use all your deep insight and what I feel is actually a true compassion for humankind an put it into words.

Now, I'm not saying this based on a chart interpretation, this is merely from my impression of you and the sun square pluto. Believe me, this square IMO is a gift.

Hope this'll help.

lazarusx

Hello Everyone,

Im also quite fascinated by this aspect, i do not share the square as is the case with this thread, but i do have a trine between my sun and pluto.

You could say transformation of self has become an obsession for me.. and i only continue to fall in deeper, it remains a heavy influence over everything, with my sun/chiron in opposition to the heavy-weights (Neptune,Uranus and Saturn) this is my saving grace.

At the moment my T Pluto is conjunct with Neptune,Saturn and Uranus in the 8th house and is in opposition to my Sun/Chiron, this period in my life i can only describe as a feeling of 'falling away'.. all illusion seems to be crumbling into pieces, theirs a deep sense of honesty with myself in relation to truth, like a piercing gaze through everything..

The teachings of Zen Buddhism has become a central aspect of daily life, sorry i can't offer a more astrologically informed response.. im still learning :)

Last edited:

Lightrider

Mornin' :)

I promised to give some more advice, but first I have to say I don't really believe in advice. I believe in recognition. So it will be a little bit of both.

First of all, you are 21, and if you're still living with your parents, you should try your best to save enough money, or whatever is holding you back and move out. Even if you'd have the most wonderful relationship with them, at this age you need your freedom.
The twenties are a f****** rollercoaster. You will spend the next 10 years wondering who you are, why you aren't happy and why everyone else seem to make it. They are not. The twenties are like this for everyone. You are shaping your adult personality and that's a very confusing thing. But you'll be alright - this is life, that's all. Also, the 20's are awesome. Go travel, go to festivals, feel the extacy of freedom. Take your car and go.

The other thing I want to talk to you about is a trait very rare for anyone, no matter the age. You have tremendous insight, both in your own and other peoples psychology. The fact that you are so young and are able to pinpoint and more important, truly understand inner conflicts and inner challanges only means with age, this will turn into wisdom. From your posts I really think you are a good writer, you remind me of J.D Salinger :) Use all your deep insight and what I feel is actually a true compassion for humankind an put it into words.

Now, I'm not saying this based on a chart interpretation, this is merely from my impression of you and the sun square pluto. Believe me, this square IMO is a gift.

Hope this'll help.

Yeah, i have this urge to earn more money and make a living as a writer/musician. I have saved some money, but it is not enough. I decided i'm going to get a proper job this summer. I will also go and have fun like i always do with my friends. It's just that this time i don't want to waste any time. I want to do something different, meet people, etc. I will certainly follow your advice, Juno11.

It's funny that i used to look down and sometimes despise people and now my vision is completely different. I still hardly trust people, but now i think i have a better understanding of them and myself. It's something i've been developing since a long time and it's great to know i can be helpful this way.

You and TransformingSelf have helped me a lot as well. You both are amazing and i really appreciate all of the help from you guys. Thank you very much :love:

TransformingSelf

Lightrider, you are an inspiration to us all, the first one to write your story so honestly. About getting to your chosen career, work towards your career degree at a university, visit their career office and ask for a counselor to help you apply for jobs in your field of interest. Also, a simple Internet search of jobs in your town and state will get you results and apply away. Your inner strength will help you get to that independence.

Lazarusx, I'm so happy you are finding your self. You are getting to a point of being grounded in who you are and this will only mean inner and outer happiness for you. You know, all your responses are so astrologically informed because it includes so much of everything in our lives.

To all, I am sure that there may be among you, some as exhausted as me after coming back from work, so I thought of some psychologists and what they would say about Sun square Pluto if they were here with us for a treat,

Freud: Well, it's obvious you see. In Sun square Pluto, the Sun is the Son, vengeful little one, intent on getting his revenge from his father. He has deep feelings for his mother, and Lo and Behold, his father be the last one to have her! So they must struggle, and only one can come out the winner, he, that crosses all edges for her.

Erikson: Sun square Pluto is that mistrust that shakes the person, especially in the adolescent, adult, and senior adult age. "Who am I?" and "What should I do with my life" are questions the person asks all the time. If you're not living for yourself, then you will never know who you are and what you are supposed to be doing with your life. You were a case of infant neglect and because of mom and dad, you can't even trust yourself, much less anybody else!

Jung: Sun square Pluto, you are at war with your own psyche! You don't know anything about yourself. You could be an extrovert with the pizza delivery boy, but an introvert with your stern-faced librarian. You don't know what you are supposed to be doing with your life, like a car manufacturer who forgets to install seatbelts in every car. Sun square Pluto, you live your life as two people, until you find a way to de-clone you.

Feel free to make up your own!
Stay well.