Ukpoohbear thread appreciation!

Osamenor

Staff member
CT, there seems to be lots of reasons for 108 that has been worked into a lot of rituals and religious practices and theories but where it seems to come from is this:

The diameter of the Sun multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Sun and Earth, and likewise the diameter of the Moon multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Moon and Earth.

https://www.esamskriti.com/e/Spirit...And-Why-Mantras-Are-Repeated-108-Times-1.aspx
Interesting. Maybe that's why there are 108 moves in long form tai chi. Even though to make it 108, you have to chop up some moves and consolidate others. I do know that long form tai chi has 108 moves because 108 is considered an auspicious number, but didn't know about that astronomical connection.

Yams are called sweet potatoes here.
We have sweet potatoes in America too. Yams and sweet potatoes are both tubers, and they taste similar, but they're not exactly the same thing. Maybe what you're thinking of as a sweet potato is also what we call sweet potato. Or does UK English use the same word for both?

Can’t remember what else but there’s loads more.
Eggplant/aubergine

I can't think of any other vegetables that have different names across the pond, but other food words come to mind. Like biscuit (your biscuit is our cookie, our biscuit is savory, not sweet), and chips/crisps/fries (your chips are our fries, aka french fries, our chips are your crisps).

I think it’s dangerous to fast for 30 days. 16, 20, 30 hours eventually but 30 days??
What if you do it like a Ramadan fast, and eat at night?

But, SCU said feast, not fast. Feasting for a month sounds perfect for someone who's always hungry!

Ukpoohbear

Interesting. Maybe that's why there are 108 moves in long form tai chi. Even though to make it 108, you have to chop up some moves and consolidate others. I do know that long form tai chi has 108 moves because 108 is considered an auspicious number, but didn't know about that astronomical connection.

Yeah it’s pretty cool knowing the very first reason why 108 came about and Hinduism centres a lot of there practices around that. I read another explanation which I kinda like, which is 1 is Ying,0 is Yang and 8 is the circular kind of completion.

We have sweet potatoes in America too. Yams and sweet potatoes are both tubers, and they taste similar, but they're not exactly the same thing. Maybe what you're thinking of as a sweet potato is also what we call sweet potato. Or does UK English use the same word for both?

I’m really not sure, I didn’t know USA always had sweet potatoes, I just googled what Yams were because I see it in recipes all the time. I wonder what the difference is between yams and sweet potatoes in America. We definitely don’t get yams here because it’s not a word used.

Eggplant/aubergine

I can't think of any other vegetables that have different names across the pond, but other food words come to mind. Like biscuit (your biscuit is our cookie, our biscuit is savory, not sweet), and chips/crisps/fries (your chips are our fries, aka french fries, our chips are your crisps).

Eggplant and Aubergine was the other vegetable I couldn’t think of!

It’s funny because I’ve been to America once before with my family when I was about 12/13 and we went to a McDonald’s and asked for chips and were flabbergasted that McDonalds had no chips! Before we realised the translation mistake and asked for fries!

I don’t think USA has baked beans either. It’s so popular over here we just refer to it as beans but when we were on holiday we missed eating them and asked the family we stayed with to get us beans and they were shocked we asked for them and we were shocked they came back with a tin of black beans...no idea what they were at that age.

What if you do it like a Ramadan fast, and eat at night?

But, SCU said feast, not fast. Feasting for a month sounds perfect for someone who's always hungry!

Ok I think SCU is meaning fast because I’ve never heard of feasting for a month to be healthy unless it’s correct. But SCU said he is trying to curse me :( Murder I’m sure is against forum rules :(

On a serious note tho the Ramadan thing is a good idea to incorporate. We eat too much food as humans.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Sounds like Ayurveda, but maybe easier to implement, I mean you don't have to be a foodie!

Thanks for the info! I think I’m Vata, interestingly the Vata and Melancholic diets both say to avoid astringent, raw and cold foods and to eat warm, nourishing foods so it sounds like there could be a connection.

Ukpoohbear

I have the same disposition! Wish you luck on the diet. Summer is the hardest time to follow prescriptions if you're vata - the short-season fruits are delicious and easy to gorge on. But at least they're fresh, right? How are you going to follow the humoral diet? Do you have a counselor or a book? I'm always excited to experiment with "metaphorical" diets since they have such a subtle method of self-regulation that is rewarding beyond the really literal modern diets.

The only short season fruit I can think of are strawberries and they’re so yum! I think it’s definitely fine to feast on fresh fruit or basically just use being Vata as a guideline.

Do you eat meat? I’m a vegetarian but plan on going vegan soon but not until I’ve learnt more about the melancholic and now Vata diet because it’s going to be restrictive. I got advised to try it from a friend after complaining about feeling bloated, I think lots of women can relate to having a sensitive tummy when the stress of life starts to take its toll!

I got a list of recommended foods from my friend but unfortunately included meats which I don’t eat, then lentils are not allowed on n the humoral diet either, which leaves only soup and vegetable curry-like dishes in all its varieties to get the warm, nourishing meals in. So, I will probably limit lentils and add them in and kind of experiment with how they effect my symptoms.

Once the symptoms settle down then I’ll probably start being less restrictive and think about going vegan. Until then, eggs will be extremely important to get my protein in (especially if eliminating lentils).

Unlike the Vata diet, the humoral diet does not allow potatoes either. So it’s rice and noodles instead.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Here is a copy of the advice about following the humoral diet I received, I’ve been extremely frustrated by the lack of healing any of the doctors medicine gave me to control the symptoms, I think it effects a lot of women so I’m wanting to share.

“The doctor can not tell you anything about it because he does not know, he did not study the humors at the university. Today, modern medicine no longer studies the four humors, they are considered something backward.
Because the spleen is the black bile receptacle, this organ is particularly vulnerable to excess of black bile and causes indigestion, anorexia, irritable bowel or intestinal obstruction. You need to fight with a large amount of black bile and for this you have to avoid dry, cold, astringent and rough food. So, no broccoli, no endive, no potatoes, no cabbage, no vinegar, no acid fruit, no beef, no orange, no lemon, no soy, no lentils. You need to bring a lot of warmth and moisture into your body, so you need more moist, juicy and nourishing food: olive oil, coconut, shrimp, crustaceans, butter, white wine, carrots and red beets. Also, rabbit meat and deer are very succulent. As fruits you can consume plums, prunes, raspberries and figs. As herbs you can use a combination of antimelancholic and antispasmodic herbs like lemon balm, borage and fumitory.“

Osamenor

Staff member
I’m really not sure, I didn’t know USA always had sweet potatoes, I just googled what Yams were because I see it in recipes all the time. I wonder what the difference is between yams and sweet potatoes in America. We definitely don’t get yams here because it’s not a word used.
I had to google the difference, because I wasn't sure of it myself. We tend to use yam and sweet potato interchangeably--both the word and the vegetable itself. Found it here: https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-yams-and-sweet-potatoes-word-of-mouth-211176]

I don’t think USA has baked beans either. It’s so popular over here we just refer to it as beans but when we were on holiday we missed eating them and asked the family we stayed with to get us beans and they were shocked we asked for them and we were shocked they came back with a tin of black beans...no idea what they were at that age.
We do have baked beans, but it's a regional dish. People who aren't from New England might not be familiar with them. They're also known as Boston baked beans. If you had asked your hosts for Boston baked beans, instead of just baked beans, they probably would've known what to look for. Even outside of New England, Boston baked beans are available in grocery stores. They just aren't such a mainstream thing. But you will find them in the canned beans aisle. Or, really, just baked beans: if all you said was beans, any American will assume you mean plain beans, not cooked any specific way. For us, beans means plain beans. If you're talking about a specific bean dish, then you specify.

When I was little, my mom sometimes cooked baked beans, brown bread (it was whole wheat and full of molasses) and hot dogs for dinner. I don't know where she got the recipe. She isn't a New Englander, but she went to graduate school in Boston, so maybe that's where she learned about it. Or maybe she just found it in a recipe book.

But SCU said he is trying to curse me :( Murder I’m sure is against forum rules :(

Hmmm.... nothing in the FAQ says anything about murder! I guess you can get away with it... as long as you murder someone without attacking them. :tongue:

Last edited:

Dirius

The only short season fruit I can think of are strawberries and they’re so yum! I think it’s definitely fine to feast on fresh fruit or basically just use being Vata as a guideline.

Do you eat meat? I’m a vegetarian but plan on going vegan soon but not until I’ve learnt more about the melancholic and now Vata diet because it’s going to be restrictive. I got advised to try it from a friend after complaining about feeling bloated, I think lots of women can relate to having a sensitive tummy when the stress of life starts to take its toll!

I got a list of recommended foods from my friend but unfortunately included meats which I don’t eat, then lentils are not allowed on n the humoral diet either, which leaves only soup and vegetable curry-like dishes in all its varieties to get the warm, nourishing meals in. So, I will probably limit lentils and add them in and kind of experiment with how they effect my symptoms.

Once the symptoms settle down then I’ll probably start being less restrictive and think about going vegan. Until then, eggs will be extremely important to get my protein in (especially if eliminating lentils).

Unlike the Vata diet, the humoral diet does not allow potatoes either. So it’s rice and noodles instead.

If you are looking for a source of protein rich in omega-3 fatty acids, you should eat walnuts. They are, amazingly healthy.

The diet I follow does not recommend lentils either, which are dangerous. I actually lost 8 kilograms in the first 2 weeks of this diet.

david starling

If you are looking for a source of protein rich in omega-3 fatty acids, you should eat walnuts. They are, amazingly healthy.

The diet I follow does not recommend lentils either, which are dangerous. I actually lost 8 kilograms in the first 2 weeks of this diet.

Walnut butter! :joyful:

Dirius

Walnut butter! :joyful:

Well... it depends. Commercial brands might be packed with sugar or corn additives, which doesn't really make them that much healthier, although they are better option than others (such as peanut butter).

The problem with food isn't only the lack of nutritional value in most brand, but also the number of unhealthy additives they contain. Personally I just buy bags of walnuts and crack them open myself.

Gemini888

(Nice book recommendations... I can only read about astrology online anymore, unless I go clandestine with shipping or in bookstores. I live with family members that would bring on the hate if they saw me studying astrology, and I don't want to work that hard to keep it a secret from them. Also the reason why I don't work as a bikini barista. Puritans. They everywhere. :whistling:)
I have books about a lot of sh!t. Tarot, depression, suicide... A normal person would freak out if they see my book collection :lol: But I'm fine with that because my family doesn't care what I read. They don't even know what I read everyday :alien:

Astrology is a different story. I got my knowledge of all other things through books, but I studied astrology through the Internet. I got into astrology before those things so at that time I didn't consider books. Hell, that was before I entered Master class anyway. But now that I started serious study into everything, it doesn't hurt that astrology joins the fun! Beside, I feel as if my chart reading skill isn't as good as I think. I just want to develop it to the next level.

Ukpoohbear

Thanks for sharing the list! It sounds very... Greek, most people today don't know what endive is, at least in the US.

Hope it helps you. It is hard to be ethical and change up your diet at the same time. I was vegan for a few years and at the time it was really hard not to be pushed towards junk food on that path, and all the vegan meats were processed and allergenic. Now there are many more pre-made options in the grocery stores and even venture-backed niche health food companies. I eat meat now, it's recommended for most women when trying to conceive and nursing kids, and I find it helpful even afterwards because there's so little time to make food, kids are always eating.

I’ve never heard of endive either, just looked it up on google so gonna have to try it. Do you like plantain? I tried it when visiting some Carribean friends of my bf at the time with coconut rice, nicest meal ever!

I agree there is so much processed vegetarian and vegan food (my go to). It’s also very expensive especially now it is becoming more popular. As you were vegan for years I wonder if you have heard of the vegan meat substitute Setain? I plan to try making that and get away from processed food.

It’s like you said these diets are metaphorical and so they become a lifestyle, spiritual choice.

But being pregnant and then a busy mother I can understand the need to not want to risk your nourishment while pregnant and then not having the time to cook separately after, especially because it’s best to go the unprocessed route.

In Ayurveda they distinguish between types of lentils. Some are harder to digest than others. For vata you basically would want to avoid anything that has to be soaked for a long time or is hard to cook or large. What is ok is petite yellow split mung bean and split 'red' lentil. Those cook super quickly after even just a short soak and digest well. And you can add all the warming spices. You aren't supposed to save lentils and eat leftovers of them either. That's ok with the little ones because they're really fast to make. I wonder if those types were even available to the Greek physicians. The Indian subcontinent expertly distinguishes a dizzying number of lentils.

Great point that some foods would have been unknown to the Greeks so hey would naturally not have mentioned them (duh me lol). I cook a lot of red lentils, haven’t really used any others so if I can keep them in t diet that would be ideal. I’ll probably eliminate it at first and then try them again and see what effect. They do soak easily, like you said and don’t need over night soaking, so it makes logical sense they are a softer lentil!

You are in London yea? You could always compromise by getting pasture raised eggs.

I live for summer fruit. Berries, cherries, figs, stone fruit have short seasons generally. Strawberries, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, then peaches, nectarines, prune plums, figs. It's all very sweet and comes in a short season and sadly you have to be extra mindful if you have a sensitive tummy.

In the melancholic humour diet, the plums and figs were recommended by the quote I copied, so if you’re following Vata or will in future it may be worth experimenting with that.

There was similarities between Vata and the melancholic diet, I wonder if theses types are basically non-stop thinkers who need to ground ourselves. The Vata body type being an air sign type of body, long and lean, also correlated to this, whereas the other bodily types are heavier and more earthy.

Do you also have trouble with over-thinking and becoming stressed easily? This would correlate to the melancholic where the over-thinking makes us worriers and at least western medicine has caught up that the gut is related to the emotions. It just all seems to connect, and putting in cultural and timeline differences makes even more sense

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Dirius thank you for that advice. I have just googled and 1 ounce is the daily recommend limit and that is about 7 walnuts, not a lot.

I think the best way to do this would be to make nut butter, which would prevent having to buy processed vegan butter too. I just checked a recipe and you just pulse and then grind walnuts. Just looked this up too - you can pulse by using a food processor by using in shorts bursts and scooping the mixture from the sides so it gets evenly pulsed, and then grind I guess by using a simple coffee grinder, which are cheap to buy. I wonder if a Nutribullet would do all this in one though, but confusing but I’m definitely gonna have to try it now.

Ukpoohbear

I also wanted to add that I think it might be necessary to make your own vegetable stock instead of using a shop bought stock, just so as many nutrients are going in as possible, and then freezing before making the soups, curries etc.

It’s basically a lot of food prep and a mindfulness lifestyle cos pure going to need to set aside 1 day a week to prep all this stuff. For my body, it’s become kind of necessary at this point.

Also, taking a b12 mouth spray, omega 3 and vitamin d supplement (as recommend by plantproof.com) https://plantproof.com/plant-based-grocery-shopping-list/

Ukpoohbear

I had to google the difference, because I wasn't sure of it myself. We tend to use yam and sweet potato interchangeably--both the word and the vegetable itself. Found it here: https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-yams-and-sweet-potatoes-word-of-mouth-211176]

Osa, I read your article but I still don’t know the difference :lol: in uk, we have like 10 different varieties of potatoes and then one kind of sweet potato.

We do have baked beans, but it's a regional dish. People who aren't from New England might not be familiar with them. They're also known as Boston baked beans. If you had asked your hosts for Boston baked beans, instead of just baked beans, they probably would've known what to look for. Even outside of New England, Boston baked beans are available in grocery stores. They just aren't such a mainstream thing. But you will find them in the canned beans aisle. Or, really, just baked beans: if all you said was beans, any American will assume you mean plain beans, not cooked any specific way. For us, beans means plain beans. If you're talking about a specific bean dish, then you specify.

When I was little, my mom sometimes cooked baked beans, brown bread (it was whole wheat and full of molasses) and hot dogs for dinner. I don't know where she got the recipe. She isn't a New Englander, but she went to graduate school in Boston, so maybe that's where she learned about it. Or maybe she just found it in a recipe book.

It was a little town outside Boston where we were staying! So that’s even funnier about the confusion lol mind you, this was an American who would cut out round burger shapes from the single biggest piece of meat I have ever seen in my life, so I think we were very much lost in translation.

Have you ever tried cheese and baked bean toasties? I highly recommend...baked beans are also a pretty good processed food compared to others, it’s still beans and apparently goes really well health wise with wholemeal bread, something about helping each other bring out the nutrients in them. I think your mum was pretty much a genius in finding a healthy, quick meal for kids. That bread sounded gorgeous, I friggin luv a wholemeal seeded bread.

Btw, Cilantro/Coriander is another one.

Osamenor

Staff member
Osa, I read your article but I still don’t know the difference :lol: in uk, we have like 10 different varieties of potatoes and then one kind of sweet potato.
Your sweet potato is probably a true sweet potato. Americans might also call it a sweet potato, or a yam. Grocery stores have their own way of labeling, as the article went into.

It was a little town outside Boston where we were staying! So that’s even funnier about the confusion lol mind you, this was an American who would cut out round burger shapes from the single biggest piece of meat I have ever seen in my life, so I think we were very much lost in translation.
Probably, the confusion was because you asked for beans and didn't specify baked beans.

Have you ever tried cheese and baked bean toasties?
What are toasties?

I highly recommend...baked beans are also a pretty good processed food compared to others, it’s still beans and apparently goes really well health wise with wholemeal bread, something about helping each other bring out the nutrients in them. I think your mum was pretty much a genius in finding a healthy, quick meal for kids. That bread sounded gorgeous, I friggin luv a wholemeal seeded bread.
I actually don't like baked beans. I find them too sweet, and the wrong kind of sweet.

Btw, Cilantro/Coriander is another one.
We have both cilantro and coriander. Cilantro is the leafy plant. Coriander is its seed, which is usually sold ground. They both come from the same plant.

I actually ran into that confusion when I lived along the Mexican border, though on the U.S. side. There, stores had cilantro, but you couldn't find coriander at all. Turned out, they actually did sell the seeds, but they labeled them cilantro. Which is, apparently, the Mexican way: they're both called cilantro in Spanish. Are they both called coriander in the UK?

Dirius

Dirius thank you for that advice. I have just googled and 1 ounce is the daily recommend limit and that is about 7 walnuts, not a lot.

I think the best way to do this would be to make nut butter, which would prevent having to buy processed vegan butter too. I just checked a recipe and you just pulse and then grind walnuts. Just looked this up too - you can pulse by using a food processor by using in shorts bursts and scooping the mixture from the sides so it gets evenly pulsed, and then grind I guess by using a simple coffee grinder, which are cheap to buy. I wonder if a Nutribullet would do all this in one though, but confusing but I’m definitely gonna have to try it now.

Yeah I eat probably 4 times that, but I work out. Thing is they are also great at filling you up, so you get a full stomach just by eating a couple of them.

I also recommend lots of olive oil. I actually drink a full glass each morning before coffe. I know it sounds disgusting, but it isn't. Spinach is another great thing, its rich in many vitamins. I eat regurlarly for vitamin K.

Dirius

Personally I'm not a vegan, and I'm a happy meat eater. But I try to only eat meat in the weekend, and most of my diet is leafy greens, fruit, carrots and walnuts (lots of walnuts). And lots of eggs too. Oh... and I would avoid soy products if I were you, those are terrible for your body.