Severe twitching/convulsing from meditation

retinoid

I have been unable to find a similar case on the internet. But for years, whenever I am in an altered state of consciousness, I begin to have extreme muscle movements such as uncontrollable hand and arm movements and neck movements where I can sway my head back and forth or do odd postures. In extreme cases, like what happened tonight, I could severely convulse yet still be conscious but look like I am having a seizure. That happened today, I was listening to a hypnosis tape and was very deep in concentration and for a second felt separated from my body and began to convulse. I even went to the doctor's and they said everything was fine (such as no parkinson's...)

Someone said it could be kundalini energy...if I say mantras it begins to happen for example but only very rarely will I just totally get out of control. And then hours later I will 'twitch'...almost like muscle contractions after such a dramatic event such as what happened tonight. Right now I am still having random twitches such as my leg 'kicking' or what not. There is no pain just like there is energy that is cooped up inside of my body and cannot get out so it is bouncing back and forth. This only happens when I begin to say mantras or meditate or am at extremes in emotions. Only about 4 times have I outright began to seizure, almost like 'possession' except I am totally conscious I just feel this pent up energy surging through me creating havoc in my body.

Any idea what it is? And please don't say it is the body relaxing or stress, convulsing is not a symptom of this. Thanks.

Last edited:

capleo2scorpio

Just be cautious of meditation. It can make you lose touch with reality completely. I was recommended not to do it by a guy who did the stare at one object method and he became weird and stopped doing it. He became a monk and say prayers and seek peace in a different way.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
My wife had this happen to her when she did certain yoga postures. He whole body started vibrating, thoough no one including a neurologist could see it. Nothing showed on an MRI. Eventually it just stopped.

The thought she might have a variety of different nerve diseases in early stages.

She doesn't do that kind of yoga any more.

retinoid

Just be cautious of meditation. It can make you lose touch with reality completely. I was recommended not to do it by a guy who did the stare at one object method and he became weird and stopped doing it. He became a monk and say prayers and seek peace in a different way.

The reality you are talking about is not REALITY. It will happen with mantras as well.

Zarathu

Account Closed
The reality you are talking about is not REALITY. It will happen with mantras as well.

Your meditation is not grounding you. This is the biggest problem with kundalini meditations either by accident or on purpose: you do not provide a way to ground your energies. I would recommend some meditations by Mantak Chia using the microcosmic orbit where the orbit is extended to the ground through the channels behind the knee and then back front up the knee.

You should do these kinds of ground exercises before you start any of whatever you are doing now. If you get struck by lightning without being grounded then you will get this kind of tingling all over.

retinoid

Your meditation is not grounding you. This is the biggest problem with kundalini meditations either by accident or on purpose: you do not provide a way to ground your energies. I would recommend some meditations by Mantak Chia using the microcosmic orbit where the orbit is extended to the ground through the channels behind the knee and then back front up the knee.

You should do these kinds of ground exercises before you start any of whatever you are doing now. If you get struck by lightning without being grounded then you will get this kind of tingling all over.

Perhaps you are right about the grounding exercises I will try this.

mike94

I've heard many cases of this.

Twitching and contractions are common. Many people cannot sit still the first few years they meditate, though it is more severe in some cases than in others. It is the purifying of the physical body through the impacts of etheric-physical energy (the kind of energy which emanates from the chakric centres) which impinges itself onto the physical organs; mainly the glandular system and the nervous system.

Just as there is the extended nervous system with all its branches throughout the body, there is also a subtle nervous system existing in etheric substance. This subtle nervous system (known in eastern terminology as the nadis) controls and conditions the dense nervous system and is itself conditioned by the activity or non-activity of the seven major chakric centres.

The seven centres themselves are conditioned by the psychology of the person or their emotional-mental matrix. During concentrated meditation the energy from the centres will force its way into the physical consciousness via the cerebro-spinal nervous system. Naturally the bodies of people will receive this energy in an imbalanced way due to the wrong direction of etheric energy throughout the physical framework. The energy is trying to "find its way" into expression but is mis-directed because of blockage or the wrong use of personality force.

This mis-direction of energy is rooted in the psychology of the person. In order for the energy to impact the body safely, the person must first balance his life and inner psychology. This will take many years. Once this has been achieved the person will find that the subtle energy is impinging itself in a manner that "feels right." From that point on the person may meditate safely and work with the energy and fire of love.

Practically speaking, it is best to:

1) Refrain from focussing the mind on the centres of force or the "energy-feeling" of the body. This may cause an unwanted over-stimulation.

2) Meditate with a slow and steady pace. Instead of giving all your effort to go as deep as you can, devote your effort to sustaining your attention and moving very slowly, even if it may be boring. Maintaining awareness will build your foundation. This goes hand-in-hand with balancing one's psychology.

3) Refrain from over-using audio books in meditation or isochronic tones, binaural beats, etc. Etheric substance is connected with sound and it's through this medium that it works.

4) Use common sense to balance your mentality. Energy follows thought.

5) Do your own meditation that focuses on love, compassion and the good of the whole. This meditation will ideally foster the will to serve the group purpose and to love the group.

The fifth point is the most important of all. Even a vague sense of love and good-will is enough to meditate on, and if that is not present, think about what fosters your own love in life.

I hope that helps!

Kuntuzangmo

I would add that taking the breath as an object of attention will help to keep you in the present, and in the body. When your mind wanders just bring it back again and again.
It tends to have a very calming effect of the mind and the body and the breath.

retinoid

This mis-direction of energy is rooted in the psychology of the person. In order for the energy to impact the body safely, the person must first balance his life and inner psychology. This will take many years. Once this has been achieved the person will find that the subtle energy is impinging itself in a manner that "feels right." From that point on the person may meditate safely and work with the energy and fire of love.

Yes it could also be my psychology which has been severely challenged my whole life...I've always had a severe distaste for 'life' and even with all the work I have done on myself and being more positive and spiritual work I just cannot shake the dislike of living. I know it sounds depressing but it is much deeper...I just don't like it and this could be the root cause. I don't know how to amend this unfortunately. It is almost like energy is surging all through my body and my body cannot take it the energy needs an out.

mike94

That is something which is difficult to work with.

There is a good and real reason for you carrying this wound, as I'm sure you've also concluded, seeing as you're on an Astrology board.

The work you're doing with self-improvement and spirituality is good enough! Be strong and keep it up. To be in pain and yet serve others is the height of spirituality, and I feel that your purpose is to reach this triumphant point.

The struggle is worth it!

retinoid

That is something which is difficult to work with.

There is a good and real reason for you carrying this wound, as I'm sure you've also concluded, seeing as you're on an Astrology board.

The work you're doing with self-improvement and spirituality is good enough! Be strong and keep it up. To be in pain and yet serve others is the height of spirituality, and I feel that your purpose is to reach this triumphant point.

The struggle is worth it!

Unfortunately I am not so sure the struggle is worth it for me. But I guess it is my dharma of sorts so I'll do it but I can't do it happily deep down :unsure:

Lenzites betulina

I've seen this in an ashram. It disturbed me. The meditation participants not only jerked around as you described, they would scream the names of "shiva" and "shakti" in tones alternating between orgasm and speaking in tounges, as though they were possessed. No explanation was given for why this was happening and it was socially condoned. It seemed that the people who it wasn't happening to started emulating it so they would fit in. I don't know if you can image a room full of hundreds of people doing this, but it's very disturbing. Wish I could tell you more.

Theories:
-An imbalance in the nadis
-A release of pent up energy

JUPITERASC

I've seen this in an ashram. It disturbed me. The meditation participants not only jerked around as you described, they would scream the names of "shiva" and "shakti" in tones alternating between orgasm and speaking in tounges, as though they were possessed. No explanation was given for why this was happening and it was socially condoned. It seemed that the people who it wasn't happening to started emulating it so they would fit in. I don't know if you can image a room full of hundreds of people doing this, but it's very disturbing. Wish I could tell you more.

Theories:
Clearly disturbing!

The scene you describe reminds me of a 'born again Christian' gathering I was invited to where I observed dozens screaming names out loud as well.... e.g. 'lord!' many seemed to be 'speaking in tongues'.

Some words were simply Old Testament Latin and Greek phrases mingled with obvious gibberish! Many waved their arms around and danced around the room in an apparent trance

Such scenes are extraordinary to observe!
:smile:

mrdecc

Premium Member
This used to happen to me when 'I' read tarot cards for strangers or when 'I' read tarot card in a group of 3 or more. Unfortunately/Fortunately depending on your outlook, the apparent seizures were latent Tourette's syndrome.'I' am now 7 years on from the initial earthing of the 'seizures', that is to say their crystallizing into severe Tourette's syndrome. 'I' now understand why 'I' have this condition and would encourage actively pursuing whatever it is that brings this state on for you. However only if you are totally prepared or even want a the complete destruction of your current life. It may not be anything as intense as 'I' have suggested, 'I' only bring it up as you have earthed an internal process, it is manifesting and could suggest something quite extraordinary!.

retinoid

Theories:

I feel like something is surging inside me and my body cannot handle it. It can happen if I meditate or do mantras. Even when I did acupuncture, after they stuck the needles in I began twitching at the place feeling the 'surge'...

retinoid

This used to happen to me when 'I' read tarot cards for strangers or when 'I' read tarot card in a group of 3 or more. Unfortunately/Fortunately depending on your outlook, the apparent seizures were latent Tourette's syndrome.'I' am now 7 years on from the initial earthing of the 'seizures', that is to say their crystallizing into severe Tourette's syndrome. 'I' now understand why 'I' have this condition and would encourage actively pursuing whatever it is that brings this state on for you. However only if you are totally prepared or even want a the complete destruction of your current life. It may not be anything as intense as 'I' have suggested, 'I' only bring it up as you have earthed an internal process, it is manifesting and could suggest something quite extraordinary!.

Yes we cannot deny that it could be a medical condition. So you believe I should still do things that induce it?

Lenzites betulina

I feel like something is surging inside me and my body cannot handle it. It can happen if I meditate or do mantras. Even when I did acupuncture, after they stuck the needles in I began twitching at the place feeling the 'surge'...

Yes, I understand. Your experience fits the description of the Kundalini syndrome. It would be adviseable to contact the Kundalini Research Institute and limit your practice until then. Improper awakening of the kundalini can cause psychoses and even death.

It is imparative to understand what is happening to you before you continue. Try meditation practices that don't give you such a response. The practice of qi-gong will help balance your energies and better prepare your body for advanced meditation practices.

In the book "The Stormy Search for the Self", Stanislav Grof, whose wife Christina underwent the dramatic shaktipat experience, gave prominence to increased levels of energy, shaking, memories of traumas, extreme emotions, inner sounds, visions, sexual arousal, and difficulty controlling behaviours. They recommended anyone having these experiences have a medical examination by a clinician knowledgeable about kundalini because of the similarity between these symptoms and indications of psychiatric and medical problems.[53] The biological plausibility of meditative practices and Yoga causing acute psychotic illness has been suggested by a psychiatrist as being related to alterations in neurophysiological parameters such as P300 which may be used to prescribe or proscribe yogic and meditative practices to certain people.[54]

Commentators mention the dangers, or psychological difficulties, associated with intense or excessive practice of spiritual disciplines.[55][56] According to writers in the field, such practices may, in unfortunate instances, trigger kundalini symptomatology, and lead to states of spiritual emergency. Greyson[57] notes that contemporary western culture is poorly equipped to deal with signs of kundalini activity. Therefore, such activity might lead to major disruptions in the social and psychological functioning of people experiencing kundalini symptoms. According to Greyson, such disruptions are often confused with psychotic disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_syndrome

retinoid

Yes, I understand. Your experience fits the description of the Kundalini syndrome. It would be adviseable to contact the Kundalini Research Institute and limit your practice until then. Improper awakening of the kundalini can cause psychoses and even death.

It is imparative to understand what is happening to you before you continue. Try meditation practices that don't give you such a response. The practice of qi-gong will help balance your energies and better prepare your body for advanced meditation practices.

In the book "The Stormy Search for the Self", Stanislav Grof, whose wife Christina underwent the dramatic shaktipat experience, gave prominence to increased levels of energy, shaking, memories of traumas, extreme emotions, inner sounds, visions, sexual arousal, and difficulty controlling behaviours. They recommended anyone having these experiences have a medical examination by a clinician knowledgeable about kundalini because of the similarity between these symptoms and indications of psychiatric and medical problems.[53] The biological plausibility of meditative practices and Yoga causing acute psychotic illness has been suggested by a psychiatrist as being related to alterations in neurophysiological parameters such as P300 which may be used to prescribe or proscribe yogic and meditative practices to certain people.[54]

Commentators mention the dangers, or psychological difficulties, associated with intense or excessive practice of spiritual disciplines.[55][56] According to writers in the field, such practices may, in unfortunate instances, trigger kundalini symptomatology, and lead to states of spiritual emergency. Greyson[57] notes that contemporary western culture is poorly equipped to deal with signs of kundalini activity. Therefore, such activity might lead to major disruptions in the social and psychological functioning of people experiencing kundalini symptoms. According to Greyson, such disruptions are often confused with psychotic disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_syndrome

It could be Kundalini...this has been happening for years without mental break down. What is the purpose of Kundalini energy? Can you project it? I noticed that when I tried to project my 'chi' into my sick dog I began to twitch. Could it just mean my body is unable to handle it or perhaps it is causing my mind to be over stimulated?

Lenzites betulina

Are you working under the direction of a teacher or guru?

If you are your teacher should be aware of what you're going through. If your teacher does not know what is happening, they are not qualified to teach.

If you are working under the direction of a guru, I understand that it is often difficult to get one on one contact with a guru if it happens to be a large organization. In that case, systematically contact all of the instructors personally trained by the guru with your questions. If the answers are not forthcomming, be persistent. Try to win an audience with the guru or have the instructor ask him for you. If the goal if the group is spiritual enlightenment, you have the right to be enlightened about what is happening to you.

If you're learning your practice from the internet or books, occassions like this are precisely why most yogis(at least the ones that I've encountered) reccomend you learn from a teacher and not from a book. If this is the case and you don't have a teacher, pray to god for an answer(yes, prayers do get answered) about your situation while actively seeking all manners to find out what is going on. But take any advice from westerners with a grain of salt.

You really need an expert on the subject to give you the best advice. Most westerners do not have the expertise to give you sound advice, as they do not have a viable framework for understanding these phenomena. The indian culture has a better idea of these sort of things. Find an ashram near you, and see if there is anybody you can talk to about what is going on.

I am not qualified to answer those questions.

I'd really suggest contacting the Kundalini Research Institute. Send them an email or give them a phone call. They may know what is going on or be able to direct you to one who knows.

mrdecc

Premium Member
Retinoid, 'I' have a life partner who is on this journey with 'me', she has chosen to follow the path and sometimes lead the path that 'I' am on, we fix each other when inevitably break, we work toward breaking. The point being 'I' have someone 'I' can rely on when it all goes wrong/right. 'I' have suggested pursuing whatever it is that brings this state on only if you are prepared for the complete destruction of your current life, that was not very well thought out, I should have said pursue this state if you have a supportive group or partner who is on the same page as you.

That being said, 'I' have found for 'me' that the breaking of the shells has been very traumatic, in the beginning the changes were mostly felt internally, in 'my' mind so to speak, as the physical envelope is so hard to manipulate/change. Eventually after much yoga and crucially with a partner the physical envelope started to yield, resulting in the complete destruction of the old to make way for the new, that was 7 years ago.