North Node on the Cusp

LadyD

I'm a novice student of astrology and have a few questions about my North Node.

This is my understanding of the Nodes:
The South Node represents a previous life, either the physical life before this one or previous stage in this current life. This node has an effect on us in this life and if we continue to live our South Node life, we become stuck in a karma loop. In order to progress and step out of the karma loop, we must embrace the North Node.

My North Node is in Taurus but it's a very close cusp to Aries. I know that whenever a planet is on the cusp of a sign or house, both signs and houses have an influence on that planet. Both Node sets are accurate for me. Does this suggest that in my last life I was a Scorpio with a huge Libra influence? Or does it suggest that in one past life I was a Scorpio and in another a Libra?

I feel like both South Nodes have had a strong influence on my life but the Scorpio South Node has been more potent. But I'm also not sure if that's because I was born an Aries, the path I should be on with an Aries/Libra node set. If I had been born in a different sign but still maintained this North Node cusp, would the Aries/Libra node set be as potent as the Taurus/Libra node set?

Any other thought provoking ideas or suggestions about multiple past lives are also very welcome (=

Thanks!!

Attachments

• DChart.jpg
    DChart.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 82

Osamenor

Staff member
I love this "tell the past life story" node game! I don't have time to play it with you right now, but maybe later....

When the nodes are right on the cusp like that, sometimes true node and mean node are in different signs. If you haven't already tried this, I recommend casting two versions of your chart, one with true node and one with mean node, and see whether they're in the same sign or not. If they're in different signs, we have two possible node stories to tell. Whichever one resonates more with you - and in my experience, one of them definitely will - that one is your story.

If true node and mean node are in the same sign, then we only have one sign axis to consider. Doesn't matter whether they're on the cusp or not. In reading a node story, I would take on the cusp into consideration if it were a house cusp, but the sign the node is in determines its ruler. It doesn't get two rulers just because it's on the cusp, we just go with the ruler for the sign it's in. If a node is in Scorpio, Aquarius, or Pisces, we can look at both its modern and its traditional ruler, but otherwise, we only consider one planet the node's ruler.

What the south node does *not* tell you is what your past life sun sign was. Its sign simply describes, loosely, the circumstances of the past life(s) that you're working from. And it's not necessarily a literally true story. Even if it were, we'd have no way to prove that. When I tell a south node story, I take the node and its placement and its ruler(s) and its placement and aspects involving them, and use creative license to fill in the rest.

(Edited to add: I've moved this thread from where it originally was because the Houses and Cusps board is specifically about house cusps. Sign cusps are a different thing.)

Last edited:

LadyD

thank you so much! i had a bit of a difficult time trying to find sites that specify if they use true node or mean node. i tried 4 different sites and all came up with taurus (which i had a feeling it would because this is the one that resonates the most with me. it actually had a life changing impact) but with 3 different results: 1*9', 0*3', and 0*2'. 0*3' was the result i got twice. one of the 0*3 sites referred to it as the true node so i'm guessing the other 2 use mean mode. is it normal for mean node calculations to vary?

Osamenor

Staff member
True node and mean node can be up to a degree and a half apart. That's why they can be in different signs if the nodes are on the cusp.

What did the sites you used call it if they didn't call it true node? Did they say mean node? North node?

Our go-to site for charts, astro.com, lets you choose true node or mean node in its extended chart selection. Its default is mean node, but you can tell it to use true node.

LadyD

astro-charts.com (1*9') doesn't specify
astrodienst.com (0*3') uses true node
cafeastrology.com (0*2') calls it ascending node

I don't remember the 4th website I tried. It gave me 0*3' as well so I'm assuming it uses true node.

Thank you for helping me with this, btw! I really appreciate it!

Osamenor

Staff member
Ascending node is just another name for the north node. It could be calculated as either true node or mean node.

Astrodienst is also astro.com. Type either into your browser, and you get the same site. If you go to the extended chart selection and select Display and Calculation Options, you can choose between true node and mean node. You can even select both, in which case you'll get a chart with two north node glyphs.

rahu

Banned
hi LadyD

first off 905 of what is written about the node is just filler to sell books. the general characteristic of the node totally miss the nodes value. it is not that the pabulum circulated about the node is incorrect , but the node is much more vital and germane to your current life, both mentally, socially and spiritually.

you are paying to much attention to the philosophy of cusps.true cusps are very important but the affect your node has on you is not because it is at a cusp.

you have a very strong node with venus conjunct the north node and pluto conjunct the south node.
the nodes are a axis of energy not a point in space as such both nodes can symbolize past lifes and this concept that you must "embrace" the node is ridiculous. the node orders your destiny , and all aspects of your present life.
pluto with the node axis does show the likelihood that you are influence greatly by a past life. Psychologically the node with pluto shows you are quite strong willed and actually selfish, though as pluto is a unconscious planet, your might not see your self as selfish. but even with the most altruistic of actions and feelings, unconsciously you have an element of a survivor, a form of selfishness as you look out for yourself first. of course this is the primary level of pluto/scoprio and rising to higher levels one can shed the personal selfishness, though this is easy to talk about than do.

your venus is conjunct the north node with gives you charm and grace. it is very emotionally and sexually attractive and you tend to be a moth to suitors.
your chart does add a twist because the Pluto/Venus midpoint is square the nodal axis. pluto can add extreme sexuality to your classical emotional sexuality but though venus and pluto can give a very strong libido,this aspect can also some celibacy. venus and pluto are in some ways emotionally oposites. venus loks for enitmacu and love through prelateships. but most pluto desire is essentially carnal and there is no pursuit of true love/intimacy. often what occurs is that when a person feels/realize that physical intimacy is not leading to deeper and sincere love, then the sexual impulse can disappear from venus. so this could show that this is your experience in life. that is relationships might start off very intense but then as the realization occurs that the relationship is essentially physical passion, the initial feelings of love can atrophy.

you also have orcus square to pluto. this can also show past life connections but these tend to show hard past experiences. this would increase the likelihood that in love, you have been disappointed when the "other" did not show the deepness of love that you imagined.

this disenchantment is furthered as your Sedna is conjunct your liith which shows you are a person with true feeling ,true actions and ,true passions. you might be called a truth seeker . so when a relationship starts to show selfishness of manipulation, you are quick to terminate it.

i don't have any more time now, but I can see that part of your spiritual journey began when you found few others that seemed to have the lofty spiritual and loving feelings that you do

rahu

LadyD

thank you for helping me. it's honestly a little bit tough to swallow. as i continue to study and dig deeper in my chart, love, sex, and relationships seems to be a strong theme, but not really in a positive light. and, when i examine my life, the chart isn't far off at all... if the nodes order my destiny and present life, and do not represent a goal, what purpose do they serve then? destiny isn't something we have power over, thus cannot change.

hi LadyD

first off 905 of what is written about the node is just filler to sell books. the general characteristic of the node totally miss the nodes value. it is not that the pabulum circulated about the node is incorrect , but the node is much more vital and germane to your current life, both mentally, socially and spiritually.

you are paying to much attention to the philosophy of cusps.true cusps are very important but the affect your node has on you is not because it is at a cusp.

you have a very strong node with venus conjunct the north node and pluto conjunct the south node.
the nodes are a axis of energy not a point in space as such both nodes can symbolize past lifes and this concept that you must "embrace" the node is ridiculous. the node orders your destiny , and all aspects of your present life.
pluto with the node axis does show the likelihood that you are influence greatly by a past life. Psychologically the node with pluto shows you are quite strong willed and actually selfish, though as pluto is a unconscious planet, your might not see your self as selfish. but even with the most altruistic of actions and feelings, unconsciously you have an element of a survivor, a form of selfishness as you look out for yourself first. of course this is the primary level of pluto/scoprio and rising to higher levels one can shed the personal selfishness, though this is easy to talk about than do.

your venus is conjunct the north node with gives you charm and grace. it is very emotionally and sexually attractive and you tend to be a moth to suitors.
your chart does add a twist because the Pluto/Venus midpoint is square the nodal axis. pluto can add extreme sexuality to your classical emotional sexuality but though venus and pluto can give a very strong libido,this aspect can also some celibacy. venus and pluto are in some ways emotionally oposites. venus loks for enitmacu and love through prelateships. but most pluto desire is essentially carnal and there is no pursuit of true love/intimacy. often what occurs is that when a person feels/realize that physical intimacy is not leading to deeper and sincere love, then the sexual impulse can disappear from venus. so this could show that this is your experience in life. that is relationships might start off very intense but then as the realization occurs that the relationship is essentially physical passion, the initial feelings of love can atrophy.

you also have orcus square to pluto. this can also show past life connections but these tend to show hard past experiences. this would increase the likelihood that in love, you have been disappointed when the "other" did not show the deepness of love that you imagined.

this disenchantment is furthered as your Sedna is conjunct your liith which shows you are a person with true feeling ,true actions and ,true passions. you might be called a truth seeker . so when a relationship starts to show selfishness of manipulation, you are quick to terminate it.

i don't have any more time now, but I can see that part of your spiritual journey began when you found few others that seemed to have the lofty spiritual and loving feelings that you do

rahu

rahu

Banned
thank you for helping me. it's honestly a little bit tough to swallow. as i continue to study and dig deeper in my chart, love, sex, and relationships seems to be a strong theme, but not really in a positive light. and, when i examine my life, the chart isn't far off at all... if the nodes order my destiny and present life, and do not represent a goal, what purpose do they serve then? destiny isn't something we have power over, thus cannot change.

if the nodes order my destiny and present life, and do not represent a goal, what purpose do they serve then?

I didn't say this....I am not going to get into semantics
I suggest your read the first page of this thread.

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63539

LadyD

if the nodes order my destiny and present life, and do not represent a goal, what purpose do they serve then?

I didn't say this....I am not going to get into semantics
I suggest your read the first page of this thread.

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63539

thank you for linking me to that page. i'll need to read up more on quantum physics but i think i understand the gist of what you wrote. i really would like to have a full and deep understanding of the nodes. like i said earlier, i'm trying to transform my life and i think the nodes are an important key for this. i feel like some subjects in astrology are a bit complicated so i really appreciate your guidance.