Dream interpretation

Hello,

Does anyone have any reference to ancient astrology books or texts teaching and talking about dream interpretation?

Thanks a lot

waybread

Hi Vettius! The 9th house in traditional astrology deals with dreams, notably of a prophetic nature, which is how the ancients understood meaningful dreams, anyhow.

If your can get hold of a copy of Francesca Rochberg, The Heavenly Writing: Divination, Horoscopy, and Astronomy in Mesopotamian Culture, see pages 80-86. (You can ask your local public library to get this book for you via Inter-Library Loan.) The Babylonians saw dreams as omens, and had spells for dis-spelling the negative ones. The sun as both luminary and god (Shamash or Samas) was supposed to enlighten dreamers and dream interpreters as to what a dream portended.)

Possibly for this reason, the sun joys in the 9th house, in traditional western astrology. Apollo was the early god of prophecy in ancient Greece, and he was later assimilated to the sun (previously Phoebos, Helios.)

Much ancient teaching regarding interpretation of dreams :smile:
can be found in updated version at
DREAM MOODS A-Z DREAM DICTIONARY
http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

Thanks for the link, but can I really trust the source? I mean what makes the site reliable? From my experience, pretty much everything mystical which is not traditional or correctly based on interpretation of the traditional is unreliable.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Thanks for the link, but can I really trust the source?
I mean what makes the site reliable?

From my experience, pretty much everything mystical which is not traditional
or correctly based on interpretation of the traditional is unreliable.
What makes ANY site reliable?
Trust is a matter for personal choice :smile:
Many trust the opinions of members of our forum who are novices and simply practising their skills
Others are more realistic
and recognise that this site is not a place where anyone is likely to obtain an entirely reliable
as well as free
in-depth individual natal chart reading

There's the additional issue of those who post false charts accompanied by false information
:smile:

We have to recognize that on a forum sometimes people can post false charts,
invent a personal story, maybe as well sometimes a horary question, to play a role in a virtual space.

Recently there is a good example in this thread:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86231

Oddity

Mary Greer was doing some research on dream books last year, but I don't think she's published it and I don't know if she plans to.

But if you take a cue from her, start with the ancient stuff, you should be able to find some at the British Museum (hopefully a reputable enough place). How it came to be used in fortune telling is a whole other story.

Dream interpretation is usually a ninth house matter, Sahl wrote some good stuff about that and how to work it out with horary. See Dorotheus and other ancients on how dream interpreters
tend to have heavy emphasis in the 3rd, sometimes the 9th. 3 is house of the goddess, joy of the moon, 9 is house of the god, joy of the sun.

waybread

I kept a dream diary back when I was learning astrology. I was astonished to see how closely transits matched dream imagery. Have you got a desk reference like Rex E. Bills, The Rulership Book?

But in my case, the key planets were moon, Neptune, and Pluto: planets of the subconscious. Even if you stick with traditional astrology, you might want to read up on current psychology about dreams. The issue isn't so much what an old dream compendium says something in a dream means, but what that something means to you personally.

Hi Vettius! The 9th house in traditional astrology deals with dreams, notably of a prophetic nature, which is how the ancients understood meaningful dreams, anyhow.

If your can get hold of a copy of Francesca Rochberg, The Heavenly Writing: Divination, Horoscopy, and Astronomy in Mesopotamian Culture, see pages 80-86. (You can ask your local public library to get this book for you via Inter-Library Loan.) The Babylonians saw dreams as omens, and had spells for dis-spelling the negative ones. The sun as both luminary and god (Shamash or Samas) was supposed to enlighten dreamers and dream interpreters as to what a dream portended.)

Possibly for this reason, the sun joys in the 9th house, in traditional western astrology. Apollo was the early god of prophecy in ancient Greece, and he was later assimilated to the sun (previously Phoebos, Helios.)

Thanks for the book. I will check it out. Dreams can have many clues about one's life and its future. It has strong symbolical relations with astrology and as we know, astrology has real effects on Earth. And logically, dream may offer more detailed information, because they are related to very specified categories, more specific than the houses in the chart. From what I knew, the hour and the day and the chart of the time of the dream should be considered, the house, signs and planets as well as symbolical meanings etc., all can be related to astrology. For example, a woman may represent moon or venus, the place may represent a certain sign planet etc...

And all of astrology's secrets are contained in mythologies, as well as all mystical sciences

Hello Jupiter,

What makes ANY site reliable?
Trust is a matter for personal choice
Many trust the opinions of members of our forum who are novices and simply practising their skills
Others are more realistic
and recognise that this site is not a place where anyone is likely to obtain an entirely reliable
as well as free
in-depth individual natal chart reading

There's the additional issue of those who post false charts accompanied by false information

It is reliable if:

A The text is taken from 1700s and less or the interpretation is based about texts in that time, and the interpretation is made philosophically.

B The information does not contradict old texts or contradicts them little (especially in the most basic things)

C The author is a serious one who takes the subject seriously, who had real practical success and not theoretical ones which he couldnt get proved by experiments.

These 3 should be enough

JUPITERASC

Hello Jupiter,
It is reliable if:

A The text is taken from 1700s and less or the interpretation is based about texts in that time, and the interpretation is made philosophically.

B The information does not contradict old texts or contradicts them little (especially in the most basic things)

C The author is a serious one who takes the subject seriously, who had real practical success and not theoretical ones which he couldnt get proved by experiments.

These 3 should be enough
B. The old texts frequently contradict each other :smile:
possibly due to being translations of translations of translations
from one language to another

Sorry guys for the late replies, but I have problems with my internet connections

Oddity

Mary Greer was doing some research on dream books last year, but I don't think she's published it and I don't know if she plans to.

But if you take a cue from her, start with the ancient stuff, you should be able to find some at the British Museum (hopefully a reputable enough place). How it came to be used in fortune telling is a whole other story.

Dream interpretation is usually a ninth house matter, Sahl wrote some good stuff about that and how to work it out with horary. See Dorotheus and other ancients on how dream interpreters
tend to have heavy emphasis in the 3rd, sometimes the 9th. 3 is house of the goddess, joy of the moon, 9 is house of the god, joy of the sun.

What's the british museum? And it is really difficult to find ancient dream interpretation, information is so rare. I am trying to find separate information on sites such as sacred-texts

And can you remember which of dorotheus or sahl books or texts contain information about dreams? I tried searching but no avail

I kept a dream diary back when I was learning astrology. I was astonished to see how closely transits matched dream imagery. Have you got a desk reference like Rex E. Bills, The Rulership Book?

But in my case, the key planets were moon, Neptune, and Pluto: planets of the subconscious. Even if you stick with traditional astrology, you might want to read up on current psychology about dreams. The issue isn't so much what an old dream compendium says something in a dream means, but what that something means to you personally.

I cannot buy online yet. And I honestly think that the information in his book is written in the same way in other books, but in a simpler manner maybe (after reading info about the book)

The reason why I want to look at ancient sources is because they were expert in the supernatural and many could interpret dreams especially the vision-like ones. For example, Josephus did that in the old testament for the pharaoh and his servants. He did this by knowledge of Godly sciences, and astrology is one of them and is a major one in dream interpretation. Nowadays, it is taken lightly and most of the times it is about horoscopes and rarely and not seriously about other subjects, so it is unlikely to refer to them.

Furthermore, some basic things in astrology seem to be not known by the majority. All the ancients seem to agree on the Indian astrology timing which has its signs completely different from the common one. Such a mistake is really grave, and I got confirmation from a completely trusted source that the modern timing of the signs is false, whereas the ancient one works only. That is another reason why I dont trust modern astrology, and most if not all seem not to have made their theories verified by practice

B. The old texts frequently contradict each other :smile:
possibly due to being translations of translations of translations
from one language to another

Can you give some examples? I read before a certain number of texts by different astrologers like vettius, dorotheus and paracelsus and did not find that to be the case, though I did not read a lot