what chart style have you found to be most accuret?

wowreally

i use astro.com
i generally use the default one, but was wondering if anyone found any of the others ones to be more accuret?

JUPITERASC

i use astro.com
i generally use the default one,
but was wondering if anyone found any of the others ones to be more accuret?
It is simply a matter of personal choice/preference

astro.com offers a selection of fourteen house systems on EXTENDED CHART SELECTION PAGE

each astrologer has their particular personal choice, which varies, dependent on individual opinion
:smile:

wowreally

It is simply a matter of personal choice/preference

astro.com offers a selection of fourteen house systems on EXTENDED CHART SELECTION PAGE

each astrologer has their particular personal choice, which varies, dependent on individual opinion
:smile:

i know how to use astro.com, i specifically mentioned it in my post. i also know it's a matter of opinion.
i was just hoping people would share their experiances

and maybe the online thing is making me interpret things incorrectly, but i'm finding your replys very conesending.

JUPITERASC

i know how to use astro.com, i specifically mentioned it in my post.
i also know it's a matter of opinion.
i was just hoping people would share their experiances
OK :smile:

and maybe the online thing is making me interpret things incorrectly,
I suppose you mean the online astro.com interpretations

but i'm finding your replys very conesending.
That's fine
nevertheless
how you find my replies
is not my responsibility
I'm simply stating my opinion

waybread

The default house system at Astrodienst is called the Placidus house system, and it is favoured by many because of its sensitivity to timing. Traditional astrologers generally prefer the whole signs house system. The equal house system seems favoured by many British astrologers, possibly because quadrant house systems like Placidus can get very skewed at high latitudes. Many horary astrologers think Regiomontanus houses give the best results.

Your call.

Dr.Time

Hi Waybread,
When they use whole signs, do they apply sideral zodiac like in Vedic astrology, or do they use whole signs with geocentric?
Thank you

The default house system at Astrodienst is called the Placidus house system, and it is favoured by many because of its sensitivity to timing. Traditional astrologers generally prefer the whole signs house system. The equal house system seems favoured by many British astrologers, possibly because quadrant house systems like Placidus can get very skewed at high latitudes. Many horary astrologers think Regiomontanus houses give the best results.

Your call.

waybread

Traditional western astrologers who use the whole signs house system all use the tropical zodiac, so far as I know.

"Geocentric" means "earth-centered," and pretty much all astrological systems do that, even though today we know the earth and planets circle the sun. From our position on the earth's surface, it still looks like the planets, sun, and moon circle the earth.

"sidereal" = star-based. Sidereal signs don't exactly overlap with the constellations (which are of varying widths,) but they're reasonable close.

"tropical" = sun-based, where the spring equinox is always set to 0 degrees Aries.

duenderoja

In my personal charts, and horary, I use whole signs. My Placidus charts are very close to whole signs, so the switch was effortless. I also switched from tropical to sidereal once I started studying the sky and saw where the planets were. I felt like I had been lied to for a long time.

Then I began studying Vedic astrology. :)

Oddity

Neither tropical nor sidereal will show you exactly where the planets are in the sky. They both use 30 degree demarcations (the signs), that don't match the constellations the signs were named for. I'm pretty sure nobody's lied about this.

The tropical zodiac ties its vernal point to the spring equinox, so that the signs are firmly set to the seasons. There are a few ayanamshas in sidereal that are used, but the sidereal vernal point is fixed usually somewhere between 23-27 degrees before the tropical one. Siderealists do not split up the signs into different numbers of degrees to try to match them to the actual constellations.

The difference is a philosophical one, is all, and both systems can and do work.

plutoniq

I find that equal works best for me, because unlike whole signs a planet can be in a house that's not ruled by the sign it's under, and unlike placidus every house is the same width.

cydwinz

i use the one over at astro.com, but i use the astrodienst with aspects to the asc and mc. i find it to be more accurate for me. however, i don't know if anyone has noticed the 150% default on their orbs. I think that's way too strong of an aspect and I think a stretch. So i will drop it down to either 100 or 75%.

but I agree, it's definitely about preference and what you're looking for. :smile:

duenderoja

.actually, oddity - when I was looking at the planets, I saw that each planet was in the various signs according to the sidereal zodiac. Ie Saturn in Scorpio, Neptune in Aquarius, Uranus in Pisces.

Oddity

.actually, oddity - when I was looking at the planets, I saw that each planet was in the various signs according to the sidereal zodiac. Ie Saturn in Scorpio, Neptune in Aquarius, Uranus in Pisces.

The tropical zodiac will show you exactly the same thing - except some of the planets will be in different signs.

In order to make a zodiac truly constellational, you'd have some signs with 20 degrees, other with 40 degrees, and all kinds of in-between, because some constellations are far larger than others. The constellations do not run 30 degrees each. The signs do. Both zodiacs are based on the signs, they just put the Aries point in a different place.

dowhanawi

I use placidus but have read about sri pati and like the concept and would like to learn more so u could confidently draw them myself with this system. Aa fie aspects drawn on computers and their orbs. I always double check and aspect myself based on the degrees given.

Kernowerno

OK :smile:

I suppose you mean the online astro.com interpretations

That's fine
nevertheless
how you find my replies
is not my responsibility
I'm simply stating my opinion

No you're not! You're stating your opinion without stating your opinion. It's called sitting on the fence. And he's right, you do come across as condescending. Try typing without 'bold', and actually answer the question, or just don't bother.

Kernowerno

Your call.

I've always used the placidus system, simply because I think geography must have a bearing on the nature of one's unfolding karma/life. Rudolf Steiner speaks very unequivocally about the specific influences of geographical environment on our souls/psychology/karma etc. I guess maybe I feel that a house being enlarged or diminished is a reflection of the degree of influence of that house, which is reflected in the 'real world' by the fact that a person is born here or there. This leads onto the next point.
I strongly feel that a planet falling into one house or another must be critical and decisive, and profoundly important, so having a 'selection' of house systems seems to be severely at odds with what astrology means to do. Surely we have been working with planets, signs and houses for long enough now to know with absolute certainty that if planets fall in certain houses, they must reflect specific and irrefutable qualities that override any aspects or modifying influences from other planets/bodies/points etc, and as such, should have clarified by now whether or when placidus, equal house or whole sign house systems are applicable or not.

I must say that if astrology is to consider itself a 'science' - which I believe it must do - astrologers really should be finding agreement on which house systems are the most effective, albeit some may be considered to function more effectively for differing purposes e.g. horary vs natal etc, or we'll forever be at odds with each other, and rightfully be branded a pseudo-science or a superstition by outside observers.
The fact that astrologers 'know' astrology is a working and reliable system is of no consequence to those who would venture in from outside, and be put off by the seemingly illogical applications of random rules and systems. Not that that should matter per se, just as physicists have no responsibility to placate artists for example, however there is a certain responsibility on our parts to be clear for astrology's sake.
I have no idea which system applies with absolute certainty, so I can only venture an opinion, like most of us here, and for me Placidus has served me well enough. A lifetime of experience will hopefully inform a rounded view in each of our cases, and perhaps those experiences will some day lead to a settled house system we can all agree upon.

Last edited:

oleanna

No you're not! You're stating your opinion without stating your opinion. It's called sitting on the fence. And he's right, you do come across as condescending. Try typing without 'bold', and actually answer the question, or just don't bother.

What, if this kind of typing and answering is already an expression of an opinion? I'd say there is nothing insulting intended, not as far as I can read or sense.
We are all different in thoughts, understanding and expression, and shouldn't we exercise some freedom and tolerance to this fact here in the forum?

Just my opinion;)