Is my Sun in the 12th or 1st house?

JUPITERASC

How many degrees does it take for a planet to be in the next house?

Can a planet be in two houses at the same time?

This has made my interpretation difficult.

It happens with my Moon, Venus and Sun.
Can a planet be in two houses at the same time?

What is your opinion on the subject?

View attachment 89054
a slightly more detailed answer :smile:
is:

there is much mess and confusion
in the area of the so-called "...houses..."
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or
means of dividing the so-called "...birthchart..."
into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains
represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas
or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "...houses..." and "...signs..." were interchangeable
and so
for ancient astrologers
a planet in the SIGN of Aries
was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect
there were no real houses as we know them today
Whole Sign House system ascendant sign becomes the whole first house
and the other houses follow.
ASCENDANT POINT ITSELF can then fall anywhere in the first house
and
MIDHEAVEN POINT anywhere in the upper half of the chart.

Placidus is simply the default
If interested to view a natal chart using WHOLE SINGS
then

ASTROSEEK offers WHOLE SIGN HOUSES calculation at

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology

The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks
and the Hindus who still use it today.
It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence
and immediately eliminates the awful mess
astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so
Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus
to measure strength "...points..." in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD
were construed or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites for example
were definite power points or areas of intense focus
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.

meanwhile today

BECAUSE OF QUADRANT HOUSE SYSTEMS
the house location of a planet MAY CHANGE
DEPENDENT ON THE HOUSE SYSTEM CHOSEN

Osamenor

Staff member
In whole sign, your Sun is in the first house. In all other house systems, it's in the twelfth.

Most astrologers consider planets within 4-5 degrees of a house cusp to be more in the next house than the one they're technically in, but your Sun doesn't quite qualify, being 6 degrees from your ascendant.

Your Venus and your Moon both do meet that qualification for being counted in the next house. Especially your Moon: it's right on your DC, just a hair's breadth on the sixth house side. That effectively makes in an angular seventh house placement.

JUPITERASC

Should I do my chart reading as if my Venus is in the 2nd house without doing a 1st house interpretation?
I ask about the sun because I read an astrologer who stated that it depends on the size of the house and my 12th house is very large next to the 1st house. I do not plan to follow the equal house system. Not now.

WHOLE SIGN HOUSES clearly determines TOPICS
ELIMINATING AMBIGUITY OF HOUSE LOCATION of PLANET :smile:
AND THEN
any quadrant house system
such as Placidus, Alcabitius et al
assists with determining PLANETARY STRENGTH

tsmalls comment
explains the rationale

I use both whole signs and Placidus.
The original idea of quadrant based house systems
was to determine angularity,
and never to replace the concept of topics.
So
I count signs for topics
and use a house system overlaid onto it.
Because, as I mentioned above, capability
and angularity/ability to act
are two different things.....

tsmall uses BOTH whole signs AND Placidus
I use BOTH whole signs AND Alcabitius

some use whole sign AND Regiomontanus
there are multiple QUADRANT house systems
its a matter of personal choice which to use
in tandem with WHOLE SIGN
IF one chooses to do so
Yes, the dominant house system in Greco-Roman astrology
(until about the time of the end of the Classical Period) was whole sign,
but (among the famous very early Arabic astrologers of the transitional period)
only Abu'Mashar continued the ancient Greco-Roman practice,
and the whole sign house format became virtually forgotten (in the West)
until the mid-1990's.

Personally I think it was an historical tragedy for our astrological art
that whole sign houses became lost to memory,
for my experience
over the past nearly 20 years of exclusively using whole sign houses
has convinced me
of the more consistent accuracy of this house system, over any other...

Osamenor

Staff member
Should I do my chart reading as if my Venus is in the 2nd house without doing a 1st house interpretation?
My method, in cases like this, is to read the house meanings for where they overlap. First and second house both have to do with self. First is the face you wear, the self you meet the world as. Second is self image, personal values, body, possessions.

You can also read your Sun in that way, since it's in the twelfth house but the same sign as the ascendant, making it a whole sign first house planet. Twelfth house is the unconscious self, while first house is the conscious self. Twelfth house is the cosmic self, all selves merged, bigger than yourself. First house is individuation. A Sun in the twelfth but whole sign first challenges you to develop self in both those ways. Make the unconscious conscious. Bring deeply buried secrets to light.

I ask about the sun because I read an astrologer who stated that it depends on the size of the house and my 12th house is very large next to the 1st house. I do not plan to follow the equal house system. Not now.

It doesn't depend on the size of the house, it depends on the planet's distance from the next house cusp. Your Sun is just outside the degree range it would need to be in to be counted as a first house planet.

The size of the house and which house system is being used may determine where the next house cusp is. Placidus, Koch, Regiomantus, Porphyry, etc. calculate the house cusps differently. However, that's not so if the house in question is the first, because the first house cusp is the ascendant in every system except whole sign, and which degree of which sign the ascendant is at doesn't change no matter what house system is used. No matter how big or small the twelfth house is, the ascendant remains the same and a planet in the twelfth must be within 4-5 degrees of the ascendant to be counted as a first house planet.

Last edited:

ElenaJ

If I were to interpret your chart, I would place the sun/jupiter conjunction in 12th, Venus in 2nd and moon in 7th.
Thanks to the progressive movement of the cusps, these planets had expressed their energy in a house and have now been slipped into another house.
But their energy is like the tail of a comet that is long and slowly diminishes in strength. Likewise the planet's energy, the "head" of the comet is shifting to the new house, but it takes some time before this change completes and the "tail" is completely over the threshold.
The sun/jupiter conjunction, at a 6 degree distance from the ascendent cusp, has already cleared the interval and is now effectively seated in the 12th, but Venus and even more so moon are still energetically in the 2nd and 7th respectively.
I don't follow the equal house system either.
At any rate, this is my personal approach, it may differ from what others may say.

ElenaJ

"why I have to interpret it in the overlap way"

Actually, you don't "have to".
We are talking about how energy manifests itself, it can take on many forms.
Do you identify with a sun/ascendent?
Interesting the sun/jupiter conjunction trines Pluto in the 8th and co-ruler of the 8th of subconscious.
Pluto loves to dig down to find causes, get to the root of things.It is the God of the underworld, the psyche, the hidden power of the Ego.
And yours involves Aries, the sign of the individual, and sagittarius, the philosopher.
All themes that tie together, and very much with the 12th house.
Do you not feel it?

Osamenor

Staff member
Thank you.
I follow your advice with the overlap interpretation for Venus and the moon as ElenaJ said also. My sun is in the 12th house but I don't understand why I have to interpret it in the overlap way.
You don't. That's a way I read it, but that doesn't mean it has to be your way.

And I just gave you an extremely abbreviated version of my method. If you were my client, and we were doing a full session, I'd go much more in depth.

what do you mean by whole sign?
In the whole sign system, each sign is a house. The sign the ascendant is in is the first house, the one after that is the second house, and so on. It's the only one of the house systems in which the ascendant is not the first house cusp (unless it's at 0 degrees 0 minutes of its sign, which yours is not).

I don't feel identified with the sun in the 12th house really, I guess it must be caused by other planets in my chart.

Being Aries Sun and rising probably contributes. That's the most individuating sign.

But, to be clear, what is it about Sun in the 12th that you don't identify with?

ElenaJ

Because he seems, someone shy, focused on withdrawing from the world, collectivist and focused on sacrificing himself for the sake of others. He is literally the opposite of me. Plus his relationship with like I said before sick people, prisons, old people, monks and all that. I don't feel like I want to shine by sheltering myself, or being volutary and it doesn't fulfill me either. The truth is that I am intrigued by this position.

The 12th is the subconscious.
It also rules all those things you listed, but they are not exclusive of other life areas.
Sun conjunct Jupiter is very optimistic, jovial and expansive, sun is ruler of your 5th of creativity (among other things), while Jupiter is co-ruler of the 12th!
Your career midheaven is Saturn, in the first of self expression, and makes an almost exact aspect with Neptune.... the other co-ruler of the 12th!
Your 6th house of work routine is ruled by mercury, which happens to be... in the 12th!
You are still young, some of the themes in your chart may not yet have begun to develop.
You don't have to become a priest or nun for these 12th house themes to manifest!

AppLeo

It's up to you. Depends on the house system you use. I generally use whole-sign house system, so I would count it in the first house, especially since the Sun is widely conjunct the ascendant.

That Sun-Jupiter conjunction though, and exalted in Aries! I'm jelly

JUPITERASC

Elena, the truth is that no, I don't feel related because I don't like nursing homes, taking care of the elderly, sick animals, other people's children, I'm not interested in that subject, nor in prisons, nor in secluding myself in a convent, not even in secluding myself in my house. Much less work in something that is not mine. I like independence, my own things, leadership and socializing. If I help someone, it should be something that I also benefit from. Obviously sometimes helping is not bad but I don't think I would make it my lifestyle as this position say.
Nor have I ever spent time in seclusion or been religious or anything like that.

In fact I feel more identified with the confidence to reach higher and have fun in the 1st house process, the sun in the 12th seems to be afraid to shine and is overly focused on others. It's not that I have anything against that, I just don't feel like it.
Of course I feel related to Plutonian themes such as death, almost deaths of family members have changed my life, my relationship with power and sex. I could consider that if I like to know the why of things.
The only thing I can relate to the 12th is my innate talent with art in general since I was born and my taste for art but I also have other astrological positions that could be the cause.
I don't know what interpretation you would give it, I am not that experienced in astrology.
But, to be clear, what is it about Sun in the 12th that you don't identify with?
Because he seems, someone shy, focused on withdrawing from the world, collectivist and focused on sacrificing himself for the sake of others. He is literally the opposite of me. Plus his relationship with like I said before sick people, prisons, old people, monks and all that. I don't feel like I want to shine by sheltering myself, or being volutary and it doesn't fulfill me either. The truth is that I am intrigued by this position.
It's up to you. Depends on the house system you use. I generally use whole-sign house system, so I would count it in the first house, especially since the Sun is widely conjunct the ascendant.

That Sun-Jupiter conjunction though, and exalted in Aries! I'm jelly
Fact is, JUPITER has limited dignity in ARIES
that of NIGHT TRIPLICITY RULER
as well as having minor TERM DIGNITY if located first six degrees ARIES
One might assume

that people with 12th house Sun would remain hidden from the world :smile:

throughout much of their lives

either by choice
being somewhat reclusive
or
because of some life-long physical or emotional problem.
Not so!

The following TWELVE well-known people

have 12th house Suns
- links to charts and biographies online in
AstroDataBank’s Birthdata Collection of Notables:

Osamenor

Staff member

Who's "he"?

AppLeo

Leo, I laughed. What has the sun conjunct jupiter? I read that it was something like a lot of faith. Could you explain it to me?

How would you interpret it, my friend?

It's a true and strong belief in oneself. The only downfall is that you can fall into a random depression when reality doesn't always comply with your lofty ideals. But with Sun in Aries, it's much less likely to happen because Sun is strong here. Jupiter is pretty good in Aries, too.

Zora

Account Closed
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Contrary to what traditional astrology tells about the 12th house – my opinion and self-experience is a different one - I have 5 planets in 4th quarter - 3 in 11th house and 2 in 12th - jupiter and venus.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10th to 12th house is the 4th quarter of the chart - the impersonal quarter – the influence of outer society and public can take on us – public institutions and companies - one can work for – worldwide trade - internet trade and social media (11th house). And where one can give a personal contribution to society – if having planets there. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]An area - where people get known to and famous in public and known to the world – having planet placements up there - like politicans, movie stars - famous sports man - models - artists – who are known by name to the rest of the world – not on a personal level - but by TV- social media – movies..[/FONT]

George W. Bush - 12th house - sun, saturn
Vladimir Putin - 12th house - Sun, mercury, saturn, neptune
David Beckham - 12th house - Sun, mercury, jupiter,

Liza Minelli - 12th - Sun, mercury, venus
Cher - 12th house -uranus venus
Michael Douglas – 12th house libra venus

Claudia Schiffer - jupiter in 12th house.
Cindy Crawford - jupiter in 12th

Pablo Picasso – mars in cancer in 12th house

My ex-husband had his mars and saturn in 12th house and was a socker player - and was in the newspapers and in tv and travelled around the world with his sport. He was never in monastery, nor in prison – nor isolated or ever helped weak people.

If you like to get famous and known with your special art - IMO it is better to have your sun and your jupiter in 12th house.