A new era for physics- The large hadron collider

gesso

you might have noticed the strange looking machine-picture on google's homepage today?......

from the washigton post....

MEYRIN, Switzerland -- It is the biggest machine ever built. Everyone says it looks like a
movie set for a corny James Bond villain. They are correct. The machine is attended by
brainiacs wearing hard hats and running around on catwalks. They are looking for the
answer to the question: Where does everything in the universe come from? Price tag: $8
billion plus.

collider.jpg

The world's largest particle accelerator is buried deep in the earth beneath herds of placid
dairy cows grazing on the Swiss-French border. The thing has been under construction for
years, like the pyramids. Its centerpiece is a circular 17-mile tunnel that contains a pipe
swaddled in supermagnets refrigerated to crazy-low temperatures, colder than deep space.

The idea is to set two beams of protons traveling in opposite directions around the tunnel,
redlining at the speed of light, generating wicked energy that will mimic the cataclysmic
conditions at the beginning of time, then smashing into each other in a furious re-creation of
the Big Bang -- this time recorded by giant digital cameras.
On Wednesday, they fired this sucker up.

It will be months before the proton beams reach full power and produce the kinds of exotic
collisions that may herald an age of "new physics." But if the machine works -- this most
ambitious, expensive, technologically advanced civilian scientific experiment in history -- it
would be a happening for humanity.

"I think we may have to rewrite our textbooks," said Fabiola Gianotti, a project leader for
ATLAS, one of the four huge detectors that will record and analyze the collisions. "There
must be something more than we have seen. There is something missing from the puzzle."
The Large Hadron Collider, as it is called by the 8,000 scientists, engineers and technicians
from 85 countries who dote on it, will probe the most fundamental mysteries. From the
fireballs, there might spring forth black holes and the elusive thing that gives matter its mass.
Or not! There might be particles called "strangelets" and evidence of "dark matter" and signs
of "supersymmetry" and maybe a little antimatter.

Oh, and they might find some extra dimensions. But this is the delicious part. They. Don't.
Exactly. Know.

This is a big deal people!! ..........i wanted to post this with an event chart for the startup of the collider so as to maybe get some insight into the life of this thing. It is at once scary and exciting, and like with so many of mankind's endeavors, there is the tendency to mistakes. The unknownnnnn :cool:

As for the time for the chart:

This article says:
"Just after 0730 GMT, a first proton beam was injected into the Large Hadron Collider (LHV), "

Wikipedia's update says this:
"The first beam was circulated through the collider on the morning of 10 September 2008.[17] CERN successfully fired the protons around the tunnel in stages, three kilometres at a time. The particles were fired in a clockwise direction into the accelerator and successfully steered around it at 10:28 am local time"

I'm not really sure which time to use, and wasnt sure what "7:30" gmt is for geneva ....
Here is a chart for 10:28 local time as cited from wiki...

If anyone has any insight, i would love to hear it

EDITED TO ADD THAT THIS CHART IS NOT THE INTIAL START UP TIME FOR THE COLLIDER..THIS IS THE 'COMPLETED CIRCUIT' ONE...
tHE INITIAL STARTUP TIME CHART IS A FEW POSTS DOWN

hadron1028.gif

Last edited:

gesso

wikipedia also has this:

The first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled on 21 October 2008.

Night Sky

First impression:

Ascendant ruler/Chart ruler is Venus placed in the 12th house.

12 house is secret house.

Hardigon is dedicated to discovering the secrets of the universe... but will the public be allowed to know??? Maybe they stay in the 12th house away from prying eyes.

Moon applies in a sextile to Uranus in Pisces... She is not void... there WILL be scientific discoveries. Uranus in the 5th house of CREATION?

Neptune in 4th (underground) is nicely aspected by Venus.

Jupiter however rules the third house of scientific empricial knowledge, and is placed in the third strongly aspected. New knowledge, but at a price, because is detriment and squared. Trine Saturn though: It will work.

Sun is MC ruler opposite IC ruler Uranus.Then we got Moon intercepted ruler of the 9th of HIGHER KNOWLEDGE, this is the house of true discovery I think. And Moon makes a close wedge to these two planets from the 3rd... Knowledge will definitely come out of this.

12 HOUSE though means that whatever comes from it may actually not be revealed to us as interested onlookers. Mars involvement leads me to believe there is military interest in it, Mars is ruler of 6th house of the military. But again the 9th ruler Mercury is there too.

What will they find out though??

Last edited:

Spin

Someone over at astro.com pointed out that Pluto is stationary direct now, increasing the potency of the "planet". Could indicate the transformative effect of the knowledge gained from CERN as we peer deeply into the secrets of nature.

gesso

its interesting that pluto has stationed direct so close to galactic centre (where there is a theorized black hole) 1 day prior to the hadron collider's start-up date (nicknamed the 'big bang machine' and some have theorized that it can create mini black holes amongst other things)

where is galactic centre? 26 or 29 sag?

Last edited:

Night Sky

gesso said:
its interesting that pluto has stationed direct so close to galactic centre (where there is a theorized black hole) 1 day prior to the hadron collider's start-up date (nicknamed the 'big bang machine' and some have theorized that it can create mini black holes amongst other things)

where is galactic centre? 26 or 29 sag?

Galactic centre I believe is between 27-28 degrees Sag.

Thinking in terms of the analysis that I did, maybe you could think of Pluto's placement in the 3rd house as a portal of travel. + all of the 9th house stuff that is going on, long distance travel?

It's probably a launching platform for nuclear or fusion powered space ships.

gesso

Night Sky said:

Thinking in terms of the analysis that I did, maybe you could think of Pluto's placement in the 3rd house as a portal of travel. + all of the 9th house stuff that is going on, long distance travel?

It's probably a launching platform for nuclear or fusion powered space ships.

oh wow..wouldnt that be crazy :eek: ...i wouldnt be suprised though...theres been ALOT of $$$$$$$ put into this.. Maybe the work done here will be somehow related to the big jupiter/uranus conjunction in a few years :cool:
Thank you for your analysis btw... :)

Mercury rules the 11 as well..what do you suppose that the 11th house means here? And what does it mean to have the sun (ruler of the MC)opposing uranus there?
Is it possible that the sun or MC is the "public opinion"? Because there have been alot of people very worried about this, and even trying legally to stop it from happening :confused:
Maybe that moon rulership of the 9th interception you mentioned is someting else pointing toward that higher knowledge being a little bit 'trapped' ...people not allowed to know some or all of it...

Good call on the military...although mars is weak there right? In libra? I dont know alot about dignities etc

Night Sky

11th house is house of communities, co operatives, but also of brotherhoods, civic organisations. NGO's.

It is the house associated most with Uranus.

Uranus incidentally rules over space ships along with Pluto.

In this chart Pluto makes only two aspects. One is a weak quintile to 9th ruler Mercury, (travel) and the other is the beginnings of the Uranus-Pluto square which will last for the next 8-10 years.

When I first heard of this new particle accelerator I thought, all they will do is discover another "new" element which is highly radioactive and lasts for milliseconds, and that will prove nothing.

But why would they spend so much time and hard currency on this research if it wasn't for a real purpose?

The 12th house in this chart indicates that they know something that we don't know. And it sure is fun to speculate.:D

gesso

I just watched a funny video where hawking was interviewed, and quoted as betting 100$ that they would NOT find the higgs particle they are so foaming about :p

gesso

oh oh..maybe i had my chart an hour late?
an article i found states that it was at 9:30

astro_2gw_105_hadron_collider_19172.gif

Last edited:

sageofaquarius

The switch-on, scheduled for 09.30, was delayed by a technical hitch for a few minutes and happened at 09.38 Central European Daylight Time. This was the birth of the event. The time of 10.28 given by Wiki was the moment at which the first beam of protons completed its first circuit of the underground tunnel, less significant from an astrological perspective.

Using 09.38 gives an Ascendant at 15° 16' Libra, very close to the triple conjunction of Mercury, Mars and Venus in the 12th. The MC is at 18° 48' Cancer, with its ruler, the Moon, less than 1° from exact conjunction with the IC.

I find it very interesting that the three planets closest to Earth are in such close conjunction to the Ascendant. Had the experiment started on time they would have straddled it, with Venus alone in the 12th and Mercury and Mars in the 1st, as shown in Gesso's second chart. This delay has kept our "personal" planets together and hidden - we won't, after all, know the results of this experiment for some considerable time, if at all. I find it encouraging that the Moon's North Node, Chiron and the Part of Fortune trine this triple conjunction from Aquarius in the 4th - wounding protons by collision is the way forward for the coming age? Let's hope it's fortunate - with Cancer on the MC, the public gaze is firmly on our home planet.

The opposition from the Sun to Uranus in mutual house reception is significant. Scientific Uranus in Pisces in the 5th plays in the nebulous and possibly unknowable realms of the deep cosmos while the Sun in Virgo in the 11th, in conjunction with karmic Saturn, gathers a group of experts to discover the true nature of matter and all the laws that regulate it. The opposition in this instance is truly enormous - the smallest particles versus the biggest bang this side of the creation of our universe.

The Sun and Saturn trine Jupiter and the Moon while Mercury, Mars and Venus square them. Man's scientific ego and the laws which govern the nature of matter are in tune with the expansion of our knowledge of those laws although our feelings about this are in tension with our personal concerns.

sageofaquarius

Hi Neptune Rising

I was listening live to the start-up of the LHC on BBC Radio 4 and I checked my watch as the first beam of protons was fired eight minutes late at 08.38 BST (British Summer Time).

BBC News website said:
The first - clockwise - beam completed its first circuit of the underground tunnel at just before 0930 BST.

As I said in my earlier post, the first complete circuit of the tunnel occurred at 10.28 CEDT (Central European Daylight Time) which is the time used by Gesso for his first chart from information supplied by Wiki. The birth time of the event under consideration was the firing of the first beam of protons which occurred at 09.38 CEDT, not the time at which the first circuit was completed. That's rather like suggesting that a chart should be calculated from the time a child first completes a circuit of a room rather than the moment at which it comes into being.

The event occurred at 07.38 GMT. Because of the addition of one hour for Daylight or Summertime, in Britain that event occurred at 08.38 BST. Geneva is one hour ahead of GMT and remains one hour ahead when Central Europe also adds one hour in the summer. So the event occurred in Geneva at 09.38 CEDT (08.38 BST [07.38 GMT]). I hope that clears up any confusion about time zones.

sageofaquarius

Just a thought about the close conjunction of Mercury, Mars and Venus to the ascendant for this event. As these planets are just inside the 12th house, perhaps the "hidden" nature of this event refers to the fact that it took place 100 metres below ground, hidden from human view and interference from cosmic ray particles from space. Our fears about not being informed of the results of this experiment may be groundless.

It might be interesting to compare the concern generated by this CERN event with that surrounding the first splitting of the atom in April 1932 which some thought might start a chain reaction which would eventually split all the atoms on planet Earth.

Neptune Rising

sageofaquarius said:
I was listening live to the start-up of the LHC on BBC Radio 4 and I checked my watch as the first beam of protons was fired eight minutes late at 08.38 BST (British Summer Time).

Hi Sage

Our posts crossed. As I was writing mine, I baffled myself, no good with figures anyway, especially not time zones! :p

gesso

so the collider was shut down for electrical problems...
It happened just hours after the launch last week

Last edited:

BobZemco

Night Sky said:

26° Sag 58'

Night Sky said:

Sagittarius/Fire/Active and Gemini/Air/Active. Pluto rules atoms/things atomic and that would certainly include sub-atomic particles. Jupiter in and ruling the 3rd suggests success via education and also lofty ideas. I can see travel.

Do you progress an elective chart, or read it like an horary?

Just eyeballing it, I'd say at least 14 years before any real useful knowledge comes about for space travel.

sageofaquarius

I've just heard that the LHC has been shut down because one or some of the giant magnets overheated due to the helium coolant leaking. It's hoped the problem can be fixed over the weekend but this will probably delay the actual collision of protons. That is the event we should use as the basis for calculations.