Something fascinating about astrology

aleth3ia

Banned
Is there anything you like particularly in the whole astrological practice? Or in the history, methods.. wtv.. What is it that you find particularly fascinating?
To me, it's the wheel itself that we use for for the charts everyday, that is extremely exciting, for how farsighted it is, for the infos it gives us..

I've been seeing this piece for a while and only now I came to realize how amazing this piece of old stone is... here we go a bit back in time, to one of the first wheel ever created, probably designed by Hipparchus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

If you've never seen this before, you really should now~

Kscar

the way the planets and such dance through the charts.. it's whimsical. Highs and lows, bright to dim and murky. so many connections to explore captured in a moment of time and to see that moment alive and breathing before us..

aleth3ia

Banned
Ok peeps, I tell you, what I'm going to show you is my favorite piece ever

phaistosdiscs.jpg

This is the amazing Phaistos Disc, and it is one of the oldest wheels we have from the Minoan (Cretan) civilization, it can be dated prior to the II millennium BC, before the Trojan wars, before Greece even existed.
Crete is the island in the Mediterranean sea where Zeus was born, according to the myths. The inhabitants of the island were expert sailors, and their astronomical calculations are said to be the basis for the works of the later Eudoxus and Aratus; it seems in fact that the data that both these greek authors have passed to us was influenced by the sky-maps, that supposedly were of common use in Crete, because the data reported doesn’t seem to correspond to a real location of the planets for a northern latitude, and for the times when the two greek astro*ers operated.

One of the most fascinating thing about this civilization, to me, is that it extinguished after a Volcanic explosion, which was followed then by the conquest of the island by the Mycenaean (the early greeks), around 1500 BC. Nothing was left of Cretans, except for this disc, along with the culture that they passed onto greeks, who were in those times still a new and barbaric population, and not the developed philosophical culture that we are used to study now. This is almost from over 1000 years before of the Greek invasion anyway, unfortunately the language used in Minoan Crete (Linear A) hasn't been translated yet; it's probable that the disk contains a Goddess invocation, and the labyrinth-like spiralic design resembles both the infamous Minotaur's labyrinth, symbol of Crete, as well as the sky constellations. The palaces and the artifacts left intact are indicative of a developed sky-gazing culture, who probably could already calculate the precession. It is even interesting to know that for them the year started at the autumn equinox, pretty weird...

Have you ever seen it before? It’s one of the greatest mystery of archaeology : )

Last edited:

dr. farr

Astrology's predictive capabilities (using the right methods, by practitioners expert in those methods) and its uncanny ability to explain events (using special methods with time-of-the-event charts) is what has impressed me most about our astrological art.

aleth3ia

Banned
Astrology's predictive capabilities (using the right methods, by practitioners expert in those methods) and its uncanny ability to explain events (using special methods with time-of-the-event charts) is what has impressed me most about our astrological art.

Thanks for your input Dr. Farr, I appreciate that you came in here knowing of our differences : ) Of course you'll know I have many doubts about that part of astrology, but it's nevertheless a fascinating subject, I concur. I'm wondering now, was there a particular prediction that triggered your curiosity? How did you start to see it was a reliable way to follow?

I too like the idea of explaining events, that's that part that requires us to engage in the filthy tiny details, and makes our understanding more skilled... but I even like how that part is always surprising and unexpected, for all the details we would have never thought to be playing a part!

dr. farr

Yes-in the 1970's I learned of an alternative approach to horary: I had previously come to regard horary as the "unlikely" branch of astrology (due to my failure to understand the works of Lilly), and stuck close to natal, mundane, electional and esoteric astrology, completely avoiding horary (I used Tarot instead) Then I learned (by oral transmission) about what I have called "Ankara" horary, traditional but with many differences from "regular" horary.
My % of correct answers (of mostly a predictive nature) was so high (so far above chance) that I was very impressed.
In natal astrology, and in certain mundane charts, my use of simple symbolic progressions (derived from Modernist astrology) and Pauline profections (taken from old time Greco-Roman astrology) also yielded a high % of strikingly correct results.
By the end of the 1970's I was convinced that CERTAIN methods in astrology definitely did reveal future developments with a significantly high degree of accuracy and consistency to be considered reliable. In the decades since that time I have not been disappointed by these methods (and a couple of additional methods I have learned subsequently)

dr. farr

I was lucky; however, I have tried (experimented with) literally dozens of various astrological predictive methods which turned out in the end not to produce results better than chance (50/50): reliable predictive method is not a simple matter, and I have rejected many such methods, indeed, I have rejected the great majority of the various techniques I have learned about over the past 50+ years of studying and experimenting with our astrological art.

aleth3ia

Banned
I was lucky; however, I have tried (experimented with) literally dozens of various astrological predictive methods which turned out in the end not to produce results better than chance (50/50): reliable predictive method is not a simple matter, and I have rejected many such methods, indeed, I have rejected the great majority of the various techniques I have learned about over the past 50+ years of studying and experimenting with our astrological art.

Aha, love the honesty. I'm going through something similar myself, astrology is really challenging sometimes...

dr. farr

It is very challenging, because usually one doesn't know what to accept, and what to reject; everyone rah-rahs for THEIR own approach or insight, and, too often, remain close minded to anything other than their own a-priori beliefs; and there are numerous theoretical dogmatists out there, with limited perceptions and blurred insight. So, we must do what we can for ourselves, be open minded but not gullible, read and study widely, avoid becoming dogmatic, and EXPERIMENT: hold fast to what works (or seems to work), keep it (unless it fails to work well in future applications), be willing to change if the evidence warrants it, and try to keep things simple, without becoming simplistic:biggrin:

aleth3ia

Banned
Dr Farr have you seen the news today? They've discovered the missing subatomic particle that composes all the matter. It's the part that keeps everything together and it works like the stars... we're making big steps out there..
something else amazing... *__*

aleth3ia

Banned
here another wheel, this time it's the famous (??) astrolabe,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYQ...use our virtual calculations are based on it!

Last edited:

david starling

One thing that's fascinating about Astrology is that some find it fascinating and some don't; and, it would be fascinating to actually be able to determine what in a Natal-chart, if anything, determines the level of fascination.

katydid

There are so many things I find fascinating about Astrology. :cool:

One main thing is that one can write a 'symbolic equation' using astrological symbols, and any experienced astrologer can understand what it means.

If 1 says:

Mars opposed Saturn, both square the Moon OR Mars/Saturn=Moon

most astrologers will say the same things in response.

[ Harmful or destructive energy impacting the emotional state]
[potential for depression, uncertainty, repressed feelings]

david starling

One main thing is that one can write a 'symbolic equation' using astrological symbols, and any experienced astrologer can understand what it means.

If 1 says:

I thought you have to specify Opposition or Conjunction when you use / For example, Mars/Saturn Conj., or Mars/Saturn Opp....?

david starling

If 1 says:

I thought you have to specify Opposition or Conjunction when you use / For example, Mars/Saturn Conj., or Mars/Saturn Opp....?