Uranus is a malefic

sibylline

Re: Hi, I am a Taurus

Many modern websites view Uranus as a humanitarian planet, so i guess I can see how it's been warped.

This comes from too much theory and not enough application, methinks. Some astrologers are long on theories which they haven't tested thoroughly or at all.

And if Uranus isn't a humanitarian planet then the Aries sign would be perfect. The most non selfish sign is Libra.

Well, that's debatable. Not super interested in debating it though.

Uranus is also of the higher intellect. I find Mercury in Aries to be really good because it results in quick thinking. Uranus in Aries probably does just as well.

Merc in Aries is quick on the draw but this can also lead to many errors due to not having considered all information.

What about Uranus in Leo?? That would be a really good placement.

What about it? I tend to pay more attention to the aspects and placements with the outer planets. Leo is a self-focused sign though, so doesn't help re: Uranus selfishness.

conspiracy theorist

Most of the people I know with an emphasized Uranus have less to do with outright humanitarianism and more with there own idiosyncratic ventures. One girl I know with Uranus conjunct the ascendant was interested in empowering women with PCOS as she suffers from it. But then I can attribute that to her having Aquarius ascendant instead with her ASC ruler located in Pisces.

Uranus is on my ascendant and I am triggered by your attempting to fit Uranus into any of your boxes.

I think Taurus is a good sign for Uranus. They have almost the same sounding name so there must be something there.

I am triggered by all this box-fitting of Urania as well. It's so partially sighted to see it as a malefic.

And I just wrote a whole reply on this before noticing this thread had been created.

AppLeo

You have a dirty mind, and yet, I can't unsee it...

I'm sorry! ):

^LMAO (pun intended).

I can't even begin to respond to either of the above. Lol.

:lol:

So, more appropriately... @AppLeo, since you have a wide orb Uranus opposition to your Sun, how well do you relate to the aspect?

I kind of agree with it. I guess I seem pretty unconventional as a person and there are many sudden events in my life.

But I'm usually quiet and alone without the craziness of Uranus.

I identify way more with my Neptune-Sun aspect and North Node conjunct Moon and Mercury living in my own little world.

sibylline

Depends on what? I'm not sure most people would admit that their lives are "erratic and crazy" offhand.

Depends on what?

Depends on the rest of the chart, as always.

Uranus does tend to disorganize but if a person has an Earthy fixed chart, for example, it's not likely they would come across as erratic even though they have Sun opposite Uranus. They'd still be very willful, overly concerned with living life on their own terms and not being controlled by "authority", have an abrupt manner, and a tendency to contrarianism for its sake...to start with. These traits are dialed up or down depending on other factors, like all aspects.

graay ghost

Uranus does tend to disorganize but if a person has an Earthy fixed chart, for example, it's not likely they would come across as erratic even though they have Sun opposite Uranus. They'd still be very willful, overly concerned with living life on their own terms and not being controlled by "authority", have an abrupt manner, and a tendency to contrarianism for its sake...to start with. These traits are dialed up or down depending on other factors, like all aspects.

Oh, well, yes, I'm exactly like that. At least that last part.

AppLeo

Oh, I hate authority figures and following the rules :3

Blaze

Account Closed
I've got Blue Saturn smelling up my ninth house something foul. It's also trine my ascendant but.....that's it.

Pretty sure I'm sanely-insane, though it has naught to do with doggy style Saturn.

waybread

A truism of modern astrology is that planets symbolize various energies or life-themes. When a natal aspect or transit goes well for us, we've probably mastered, more or less, what that planet represents. When we hate it or struggle with it, we have a lot to learn from it. We need to turn that planet into our teacher, not the trickster, to paraphrase Steven Forrest.

Uranus rules sudden upsets of various kinds, but it is also the great liberator. If we are open to change and new ways of experiencing and thinking about life, it will go a whole lot better for us.

People who have difficulty with Uranus generally do not welcome change. Possibly thinking that, "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know." But sometimes a comfortable rut isn't what we need in life. Challenge and uncertainty may prove to be our allies, once we adjust to a new scenario.

People with Uranus square sun or Mars tend to be the **** kickers and disturbers of their group. Generally it is beneficial if they can recognize their need for rapid inner growth, rather than pasting disruption on other people who may have very different life-maps.

p.s. I have Uranus conjunct MC, trine sun and Mars and square ascendant. My sun, Mercury, and Venus are in Aquarius. I don't find Uranus to be compassionate (David) but it does question old, stultifying, and harmful ways of doing things.

You know the saying, "You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet." Some of us would rather make the omelet.

Last edited:

waybread

I've never seen any evidence of Uranus being humanitarian. Uranus seems as selfish as Mars or Pluto. The humanitarian ideas about Uranus resulted from its being named as ruler of Aquarius. However, unlike Aquarius, Uranus has no ties or concerns with others. This is why Uranus can be particularly difficult in connection with affiliative planets like Venus.

In The Art of Predictive Astrology Carol Rushman wrote that Uranus, natally or in transit, is associated with divorce: "Uranus is a selfish planet. It wants things on its own terms [...]"

Why call a planet "selfish"? This poor woman must have had a particularly nasty divorce.

Uranus transiting the seventh house can deal with sudden change (Uranus) in a marriage (7th house.) But I've had Uranus in my 7th house for a bit, and I've been married for 20 years. On the other hand, my husband and I enjoy RVing, hiking in remote places, and canoeing, so we introduce a lot of novelty into our lifestyle without having to turf out the marriage.

A planet cannot be selfish. People can be selfish.

A planet is impersonal.

To a committed Capricorn or Taurus, I can see Uranus rolling up as a Heap of Bad News. But to those of us who do not fear the future, Uranus can be liberating.

Again (David) Uranus is impersonal. But it will break up old structures that harm or enslave people in some way. It may seem compassionate to liberate people, but Uranus and Aquarius are not watery or emotional in their essence.

Venus can be horribly jealous, polyamorous, luxury-loving, indolent, and other un-wonderful traits. Again, she's impersonal. What you do with Venus is different.

sibylline

People who have difficulty with Uranus generally do not welcome change. Possibly thinking that, "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

Is it possible that a person just sees Uranus as malefic, meaning not benefic or neutral?

Why call a planet "selfish"? This poor woman must have had a particularly nasty divorce.

I have no idea if she did but I don't think that matters. She is hardly the only astrologer to use the word selfish in relation to Uranus. Some people just observe and describe astrology, without feeling the need for euphemisms.

It's clear planets don't actually have human characteristics; planets have been described using human traits for a very long time, if not always.

waybread

Is it possible that a person just sees Uranus as malefic, meaning not benefic or neutral?

Absolutely. In traditional astrology there are malefics and benefics. Modern astrology tends not to divide planets in that way, but to see each planet as having potentially beneficial and negative influences. But how these play out is up to us in a "choice centered" vs. in a fatalistic sort of astrology.

What if disruption of your status quo were actually beneficial? Uranus might just be the unexpected windfall or serendipity. It might be the sudden release of a big burden off your shoulders.

I have to ask how you personally interpret Uranus key words like "sudden change"?

I have no idea if she did but I don't think that matters. She is hardly the only astrologer to use the word selfish in relation to Uranus. Some people just observe and describe astrology, without feeling the need for euphemisms.

It's clear planets don't actually have human characteristics; planets have been described using human traits for a very long time, if not always.

The word "selfish" is highly subjective and situational. To you, your actions might feel liberating. To me, they might appear selfish. If we unpack the word "selfish" its deployment might be very self-serving. For example, we could imagine a very controlling, soul-destroying spouse who describes her husband's decision to leave her as "selfish," without her considering how her own disrespectful, domineering behaviour became intolerable.

I am not talking about euphemisms. Uranus is impersonal. It is not watery or relational. Hard luck.

Maybe Uranus is a tough planet for needy Cancers, domineering Scorpios, tradition-bound Capricorns, or stability-craving Taureans. That doesn't make Uranus inherently "selfish."

Planets rule human traits. As you know, Mercury=communication, Mars=aggression. But how these planets operate depends on their sign (Cancer or Aries??) and aspects, and the domain of life in which they operate depends on the house. No planet is inherently selfish or loving and giving.

You might also consider the placement of Uranus in your chart or those of persons of interest. For example, a planet opposite one's sun is probably difficult, disowned, and may appear as a dread of disruptive individuals. Sounds malefic, no? But really, it is showing the individual's need to incorporate more out-of-character, novel people and activities in her life.

Another point about choice-centered astrology is that we can deliberately incorporate more Uranian activities in our lives in order to engage more productively with Uranus. For example, tomorrow, plan an activity that seems completely out-of-character for you!

Last edited:

graay ghost

different-i-want-things-to-be-different-oh-no-web-6297463.png