Is Lindagoodman.com regarded as a joke here?

LeoJeo

It would seem so. This place seems a lot more serious about astrology whereas there its like some kind of anything goes fight fest. It almost overwhelmingly seems to be populated by angsty teen girls or angsty women just entering menopause. There's also a lot of negativity over there and not very good of a community. I made an account because it seems like they talk about a wider variety of topics and reply quicker, but have come to realize quantity isn't better over quality. Does that site have somewhat of a bad reputation here?

Zarathu

Account Closed
It would seem so. This place seems a lot more serious about astrology whereas there its like some kind of anything goes fight fest. It almost overwhelmingly seems to be populated by angsty teen girls or angsty women just entering menopause. There's also a lot of negativity over there and not very good of a community. I made an account because it seems like they talk about a wider variety of topics and reply quicker, but have come to realize quantity isn't better over quality. Does that site have somewhat of a bad reputation here?

Linda Goodman has a reputation for simplistic astrology only bearing on the Sun Sign. Real professional astrology is way way way more complicated than that.

Moondancing

Premium Member
Linda Goodman has a reputation for simplistic astrology only bearing on the Sun Sign. Real professional astrology is way way way more complicated than that.

Steven Forrest says there are 10,000 personalities in a chart and it takes a lot of communication between client and astrologer to really get to the heart.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Steven Forrest says there are 10,000 personalities in a chart and it takes a lot of communication between client and astrologer to really get to the heart.

I think that Steven Forrest has erred by at least two orders of magnitude. And as a counseling astrologer, I won't do a full analysis without communication between sets of information.

Silversong

While I don't agree with calling the posters there "angsty teen girls/women", I do see your point about the forum not seeming so intensive about astrological study as a whole.

Also, they seem more likely to entertain/actually respond to more problematic forms of questioning about things that may only be tangentially related to astrology. I wouldn't say that it's seen as a joke by people here. From what I can tell (And I only see about twenty really regular posters because I'm not the speediest/most active poster myself :innocent:), there's just not really any attention paid to comparing the forums.

mdinaz

I don't know who Steven Forrest is and don't care. And if it takes him that much communication to do a chart, he's not an astrologer but a psychologist.

mdinaz

As for Linda Goodman, it's beginner pop astrology. For those with a passing 10-second attention span, it's fine, but it nowhere near approximates real astrology as done by the professionals here.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I don't know who Steven Forrest is and don't care. And if it takes him that much communication to do a chart, he's not an astrologer but a psychologist.

We call that a counseling astrologer. They meet with the client a number of times and help the client through difficulties using astrology as a base, and counseling as a process.

Of course to do it, you need counseling credentials too, and most astrologers do not have that.

Zarathu

Account Closed
As for Linda Goodman, it's beginner pop astrology. For those with a passing 10-second attention span, it's fine, but it nowhere near approximates real astrology as done by the professionals here.

Linda is going to be rolling over in her grave now!

ashriia

I sometimes look up astro things on google. And I've read up on different things using the linda goodman site. I understand the depth of real astrology certainly, but I've found some interesting astro info on that site too, though i don't have an account there.

I don't shun the site. Her books themselves were fun introductions to astrology back when I was a teenager.. before the internet and all.. bookstores and libraries was where the information was so.. and that is what they had there in the astrology sections. Not afraid to admit it, it is what is is, you know. :wink: i'm sure many real astrologers were introduced to astrology via some of her writings.

as for angsty teens and women entering menopause frequenting that site..
Not going to go on a tangent with that comment, just say i disagree with gender based comments like that. :bandit:

AW, has it's fair share of ..."colorful" people too. which makes AW's ignore feature a blessing!

ashriia

There's an ignore feature?? :andy: How do you use it? :bandit:

I'm sure over there they would stereotype AW as a bunch of snooty-pants elitists.

yep. lol. :smile:

Ignore feature can be found:

go to your User control panel. scroll down the left hand section. Click Edit Ignore list and just add usernames to it.
fun stuff! :wink:

Silversong

Hi, Mdinaz! I can answer that.

Linda Goodman never started or acted as administrator of Linda-Goodman.com. It was a forum started by another person in honor to her. As far as I'd seen, the creator of the forum really likes her writing and admires her as a person.

mdinaz

Hi, Mdinaz! I can answer that.

Linda Goodman never started or acted as administrator of Linda-Goodman.com. It was a forum started by another person in honor to her. As far as I'd seen, the creator of the forum really likes her writing and admires her as a person.

I would think the owners of her estate would be opposed to someone using her name in such a fashion, unless they paid for a license to do so. Linda Goodman would have an extensive estate with all her books that still make money ...

Silversong

*shrug* I don't know any such particulars, but I guess it's regarded like a fan-page thing. There are tons of fan pages and such that don't make money from whatever it is they are celebrating, even when it's all over the fan-site!

MaybeNow

I like the real life feedback on her forum. When I had my first Venus-Pluto contact relationship, I thought I was going crazy until I read that was 'normal' with that aspect! :biggrin: AW's forum is more technical and 'dry' by comparison.

Goodman wrote the first astrology book to make the New York Times bestseller list and did a great service by introducing many to astrology beyond three lines in the newspaper or a paragraph in Glamour magazine. She is probably responsible for many astrologers being able to make a living as more people actually sought their services after getting a 'taste' of astrology.

She had an interesting life but a somewhat sad one regarding her daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Goodman