Head & Tail of the Dragon (Lunar Nodes)

astro.teacher

I felt it appropriate to share with users here who are interested in more of a traditional approach to the Head & Tail of the Dragon (also called the Lunar Nodes) a link to a blog article of mine. I typically dont include interpretations in my works but because the Nodes are quite obscure their meanings are sometimes difficult to conclude so I have included them just to give other students an idea of their meaning in certain Houses. I hope some of you find this enlightening.

http://a-astrology.blogspot.com/

Arian Maverick

The Head of the Dragon in the twelfth, imports many enemies unto the Native; subjects him to penury and servitude : it fortunates him in great beasts.

The Dragon’s Tail in the sixth House, shows that the Native shall be afflicted with many mischievous diseases; and crossed, plagued, and perplexed with evil conditioned servants.

Perhaps I shouldn't have read this...

The traditional approach is very interesting, though. Thanks, astro.teacher :)

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

astro.teacher

Remember that the fortunate state of the Lord of the 12th and Planets in the 12th actually AID secret enemies (and the same with the 7th for public enemies). The North Node being a point of benevolence, actually aids your secret enemies because this is their House. The more that the 12th (or 7th) house is debilitated, the more your enemies are debilitated. The Head acts as Jupiter dignified would and the Tail acts as Saturn debilitated would. Before making a judgment though I would look to see the state of the Lord of the 12th and 6th Houses. If the 12th Lord is weak, you can have all the enemies in the world but they will be weak (especially if the Lord of the Ascendant is more dignified and stronger) and have no power over you. If the 6th Lord is strong, you will be fairly preserved from the influence of the South Node over your body.

This is why I believe a lot of people look down at traditional interpretations; they dont read the entire situation. In Modern Astrology its simple Planet in House means this. In Traditional Astrology its a lot more complex, you need to understand the other influences in the chart as well to get an accurate interpretation (which is why I rarely give interpretations alone).

NicholasH

could you please explain this one to me:

"The Tail of the Dragon in the twelfth of a Nativity, denotes many oppressions unto the Enemies of the Native; yet the Native rarely escapes prejudice thereby : he is prejudiced by dealing in great cattle."

thanks

astro.teacher

Certainly,

denotes many oppressions unto the Enemies of the Native

This basically says your secret enemies will meet with difficulties and obstructions (especially with matters relating against you). For example if they were to tell a lie about you, it would most likely come back and smack them in the face as well.

yet the Native rarely escapes prejudice thereby

In this case (using the example above) it states you will still be hurt by the lies spread about you. Which means if someone were to tell lies about you, not only would it hit the liar in the face but also damage your reputation as well simply because it was said, even if the liar was proved as such. People will judge you on what your secret enemies state rather than the truth.

Does that help?

Arian Maverick

Remember that the fortunate state of the Lord of the 12th and Planets in the 12th actually AID secret enemies (and the same with the 7th for public enemies). The North Node being a point of benevolence, actually aids your secret enemies because this is their House. The more that the 12th (or 7th) house is debilitated, the more your enemies are debilitated. The Head acts as Jupiter dignified would and the Tail acts as Saturn debilitated would. Before making a judgment though I would look to see the state of the Lord of the 12th and 6th Houses. If the 12th Lord is weak, you can have all the enemies in the world but they will be weak (especially if the Lord of the Ascendant is more dignified and stronger) and have no power over you. If the 6th Lord is strong, you will be fairly preserved from the influence of the South Node over your body.

Aquarius is the sign on my twelfth house cusp, which makes tenth house Saturn in Capricorn its traditional ruler or lord. I don't think Saturn gets much more dignified than that--but if I have a Libra Descendant, the lord of my seventh house is debilitated in Aries.

Does this suggest that my hidden enemies are strong and my known enemies are weak?

The lord of my sixth house is the Sun, which is exalted in my first house in Aries. At least I shouldn't have to worry as much about the "mischievous diseases"...

Arian Maverick

astro.teacher

Does this suggest that my hidden enemies are strong and my known enemies are weak?

From what you said yes thats what that would interpret as. However dont just go on Essential dignity alone, consider Accidental as well. Also if you want to see who is more powerful you or your enemies you need to look at the Lord of the Ascendant as well. If the Lord of the Ascendant is more dignified than the Lord of the 7th or 12th you will be more powerful than your enemies. Also look at the relationship between both Lords (Asc. & 12th/7th).

Follow this dignity/debilty chart - http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-8.html

In comparison to each other yes, in comparison to you that is only determined by the Lord of the Ascendant.

The lord of my sixth house is the Sun, which is exalted in my first house in Aries. At least I shouldn't have to worry as much about the "mischievous diseases"...

Yes that does abate much of the maliciousness.

starlink

Hello Aaron! Thank you very much for all the links. Nice website!
I have a question regarding the Nodes . When they are positioned very near the next cusp, do you regard them also, like planets, as being in the next house?
Then there is a bit of a contradiction found in the position of the Nodes in 6 and 12. When North Node falls in 6, according to the antique rules, the native will have good and faithful, honest servants and portends health of body and a good constitution or that very few diseases shall assault the Native.
OK, now, when the South Node is very close to the cusp of the 1st house, it says: Always mischief, trouble, perplexity of both body and mind, continual dolor , scandals, loss, sorrow etc.etc.
If close to the Asc. it imports but short life. (what do you/we consider short?)
So in this case the Nodes give good health as well as perplexity of body and mind at the same time? A short life due to bad health? or could it mean through accident?

My NorthNode lies at 2° Gemini in the 7th, SouthNode therefore 2° Saggitarius and probably very close to my Asc. which would be between 28° Scorpio and 2° Saggitarius, probably around 0° something in Sag.(we are working on that one).
So I guess my life will be short (oh oh!).

So, to come back to that South Node in the 1st. I actually have had a great life, up till now had nobody in the family die (and I am not young anymore) and the only sorrow was my divorce. I did not even feel sad when my parents died, I just felt it was a relief for them and was at peace with that. Never any scandals or calumnies. Could this then be because I have my Part of Fortune at 3° and thus in conjunction with the NorthNode? And how would you interprete it if the POF would be conjunct the South Node? Would it diminish the "malicious influence" of the South Node or would the Node take the "Good Luck" away from the POF? It is awful isn't it, I always have questions like that, sorry about that. But I do wonder.....

Curiously, Star.
I find the Moon Nodes still a bit of a mystery to me. But who knows, the short life might be right.

astro.teacher

When they are positioned very near the next cusp, do you regard them also, like planets, as being in the next house?

Generally no, the Nodes have no rays and therefore no aspect but conjunction. The Ascendant is usually the only exception in this case. However it would be smart to read both Houses and see which is more accurate. This is because your birth time may be off a few minutes and that can shift the Houses into another house and its the best way to find out which House they are truly in.

(what do you/we consider short?)

Good question. The Traditional authors had around the same lifespans we do today (their records are full of people who lived up to 120 years old and we see this even in Traditional Astrology books as well). I would be fair to say young would be considered under 30 since 30 was considered "Age" (ie, the peak of life).

So in this case the Nodes give good health as well as perplexity of body and mind at the same time? A short life due to bad health? or could it mean through accident?

I think you need to analyze these things seperately. Remember ONE position in Traditional Astrology WONT equal calamity or death (or on the reverse fortune and life). The more indicators you have of a short life, the shorter it will be. If you also had Saturn in the 1st, conjunct the Ascendant, with him being Lord of the 8th and infortunate then I would begin to start worrying but one simple position is just a grain of salt in the salt shaker. Same with the health, if the Lord of the 6th is not dignified, you will have a lot of health problems however because of the placement of the North Node there they will tend to work in your favor. As for the contradiction, that isnt very contradictive because one is saying good health, the other is saying short life. There are many people who have great health but die young. I wouldnt necessarily say accident unless Mars is involved.

My NorthNode lies at 2° Gemini in the 7th, SouthNode therefore 2° Saggitarius and probably very close to my Asc.

Very interesting, your Nodes are in their Exaltations which upps their positive influence.

So I guess my life will be short (oh oh!).

As I said, depends on multiple factors.

Could this then be because I have my Part of Fortune at 3° and thus in conjunction with the NorthNode?

This would influence the North Nodes influence, not the south node.

And how would you interprete it if the POF would be conjunct the South Node?

"This imports many backslidings in Estate by clowns, soldiers, fire, and fury of war." [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Would it diminish the "malicious influence" of the South Node or would the Node take the "Good Luck" away from the POF?

Both. The maliciousness is abated but so is the benevolence.

It is awful isn't it, I always have questions like that, sorry about that. But I do wonder....

Questions are always welcome ;)

Moondance

Hi, I have a few questions somewhat related to your general topic:
What about in synastry? My vertex is exactly conjunct a friend's south node, which is conjunct exactly his Mercury. Any thoughts?

What about the Part of fortune, if it is in the 12th? I've heard it should then be read as the Part of Misfortune. Thanks.

starlink

Aaron, you are super! Thanks for going into every nitty gritty question of mine. UFF, I am relieved, 30 years, thank God I passed that long ago. Not so much for myself as I had a good life but more for my children. Believe it or not, they still need me (when does that ever end.??!!).

Very interesting, your Nodes are in their Exaltations which upps their positive influence.
Would you believe I never even knew that? Gosh, I am pleasantly surprised.

Once more, many thanks, you have proved yourself (to me anyways) as a good and especially patient teacher!!

Star.

astro.teacher

Moondance,

What about in synastry? My vertex is exactly conjunct a friend's south node, which is conjunct exactly his Mercury. Any thoughts?

Being a traditional Astrologer I dont follow synastry or vertex's. Although his Mercury conjunct his south node debilitates Mercury the same way Saturn would in this position.

What about the Part of fortune, if it is in the 12th? I've heard it should then be read as the Part of Misfortune.

The Part of fortune in the 12th is a give or take placement. Remember positive things in the 12th House aid our secret enemies. So while it may give you fortune in one aspect (lets say imprisonment would be minimal, sorrow abated & etc.) it also brings misfortune by giving your secret enemies this fortune as well. Its very dualistic. This same thing happens in the 7th House as well.

starlink,

Thanks for going into every nitty gritty question of mine.

No problem ;)

(when does that ever end.??!!)

Ah the joys of children! lol

Once more, many thanks, you have proved yourself (to me anyways) as a good and especially patient teacher!!

Astrology has always been my passion so I love to help others with their questions.

Astro. Teacher.....

I am quite disturbed by the interpretation of my south node (gem) in the 5th........please can you explain.....I have one child............

LG

astro.teacher

LG,
I am quite disturbed by the interpretation of my south node (gem) in the 5th........please can you explain.....I have one child............

What exactly would you like explained? It states that the Node will have the greatest effect on your children because of its placement in the 5th. The south node is a point of negativity and destruction (as opposed to the North which is the opposite) and thus your children will be most inflicted with this negativity and destruction, hence the interpretation. However you cannot simply rely on ONE interpretation as the end all of the future of your child. I would heavily suggest expanding your 5th House and interpreting the entire thing (the Lords dignity/debility/placement & etc.) before you make this judgment because a strong lord can very much defeat a minor negative point in a chart. Is there any OTHER indicators of a violent death with regards to the fifth House & etc. If you find the majority (an important word in astrology) indicate a violent death, the node will only reinforce it. If you dont find this, then the node is in the minority and thus so is the probability of that happening in such a way. I hope that helped you understand the context a little more clearly. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

River,

I wouldnt focus too much on Nodes placements over fixed stars since that would give relatively small influence to its behavior. Im sure there are some that believe that non-physical objects can be influenced in a chart but I have yet to see a strong example of the use of this (especially traditionally I dont believe ive read anything that makes a strong case for using these). I cant give you any more opinion than that since I do not use those two points combined. Sorry I cant be more helpful!

starlink

Hello Astroteacher! I was just reading your answer to Liquid Green.(this is for you too!) Could it not also mean that she has to develop certain things regarding the 5th house? Where the North Node is, there we have enough expertise from a former life apparently, where the South Node is, we still have to learn a few things. I personally would interprete the Node as such. Maybe dealing with children, or also her own self-expression, could be difficult and has to be developed in this life. So in Liquid Green's case she has to balance out Personal pleasures (5th house) versus Shared Pleasures (11th), romance (difficult) versus friendship (easy), creative ambitions (difficult) vs. social or humanitarian ambitions. So with this South Node in the 5th she should try to fulfill dreams in a practical way,examine feelings about children, childrearing and procreation. Not using group priorities as an excuse for neglecting her personal goals, developing her own creativity.

In Donna van Toen's book, she states:
A Gemini South Node could say to herself that her day-to-day activities dont leave her any time to dedicate to her hobbies. Usually doing a study is not very liked. Generally, a mental block prevents expansion (Sagitarius North Node). Possible reasons can be environmental restrictions which hindered learning, refusal to take chances, dislike of reading or distrust of any type of indirect communication or an upbringing that encouraged superficiality.
Possible solutions are: take interest in courses, Loosen stifling ties .
Observation: Gemini North Node relies on book learning to replace awareness, with Gemini south Node the tables are turned. Knowledge remains at a very rudimentary level. There can be an "I read it in the Enquirer so it must be true" philosophy. Frequently, Gemini south node relies on rumors, gossip and small talk to form the basis of his or her knowledge College education is looked on with suspicion.

It is only when the Gemini South Node is suddenly thrust into a new environment or routine that he or she becomes aware that something is missing. At that point he or she can tap the -Sagittarius North Node's potential an dexpand his or her knowledge and understanding of the world.

I dont know how the aspects to the South Node are and how the rest of her chart looks, therefore take these explanations not as a definite thing.

I wouldnt focus too much on Nodes placements over fixed stars
I am glad you think this also. I dont use stars in natal astrology at all, just a few in horary and the POFortune. It is getting all too much and so irrelevant to the real basics. I have to say this over and over again. The basics are enough to work with and in the case of twins, we can look a bit further at Decanates and Dwads, things like that, but all those stars and points, even Lilith, I just dont look at. Chiron is difficult enough because there is still so little known about. It is all based on curiosity and as we know, that killed the cat!
Cheers, Starlink

Thanks starlink......that is something more i can work with....

I can see in my life where it is a struggle between the head and the tail.......

I feel your comments are more 21st century than the link with the morbid explanation of SN in the 5th, by astro teacher (sorry!)...........to me that sounded like almost a dodgy vedic reading....full of calamity and disaster.......maybe thats what it meant in the past for the neanderthal, but i hope being a somewhat more evolved person than those guys, i can look at the nodes in a more workable way in todays world.....I guess i can only look past those things that give me nothing to work with......and only suggest definite gloom......not all of us with the SN in the 5th , children are going to die violent deaths and have/ cause problems for us....I just dont believe it........

So thanks starlink....sorry astro.teacher, i am sure you have much other wisdom to impart........and i look forward to it!

LG

astro.teacher

starlink,

I follow Traditional Astrology and what you are describing is purely a modern interpretation (based on what information or source I do not know) so I cant give anymore opinion on that sorry!

planetmotion

Hello Astro-Teacher,
Just read your notes and this link about the Dragon’s head and tail, which were interesting, thank you.

But I was wondering about Saturn ruling the south node and Jupiter the north, when the north node is in detriment in Sagittarius?

Could you cast any light on this one please?

Thanks,
plan-mo