Magic 8 ball technique

dr. farr

(Disclaimer: following is a long forgotten ultra-simple "MAGIC 8 BALL"* method of astrological divination anciently practiced by the Walis, a once renowned group of Arabic astrologers greatly despised by Al-Biruni! I learned of this method decades ago but have never put it to the test; if no one minds, I'd like to test it on this Board)

Experimental Walis Magic 8 Ball method:

-first, determine the house signifying the question {must be only 1 house};

- second, find the sign on the cusp (or sensitive degree) of that house;

-third, what planet (of the traditional 7 planets) rules that sign?

Answer to the horary question is according to the following criteria:

+If Sun, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter is the planet ruling that sign, this = a "yes" answer (or a positive/benefic answer) to the question

+ If Mars or Saturn is the planet ruling that sign, this = a "no" answer (or a negative/malefic answer) to the question

+ If the Moon rules that sign, this = a "maybe/"can't tell/undecided " answer to the question

Exception: If the Dragon's Tail (South Node) is posited in the sign on the signifying house, this always = a "no" answer to the question, regardless of which planet rules that sign.

*My designation for this method. This method only applies to yes/no questions, does not provide explanations, does not provide guidance, insight, etc. I've never tested this method because it seems just too simple to work.
I AM NOT PROMOTING THIS METHOD, but I would like to test it out on several yes/no questions here on AW to see whether or not it is a reliable predictive method.

Last edited:

Sun Scor Moon Aqu Asc Vir

Hi Guys ...

I was unsure which house to assign here so opted for 6th Sag (small animals) which is ruled by :jupiter: .... and therefore a Yes in whole house but 6th is Cap in regio ruled by :saturn:and therefore a No :unsure:

Interestingly :saturn: rules Fish Ponds and the Treatment in question was applied to Fish ...

The question is about a medicament :unsure: and 6th is house of health but is it apt for medicines too ?

httw.gif

Does the chart confirm a Yes in delineating it in the general Horary manner ?

A friend has just treated his fish pond in a bid to rid them of several parasites ... but it was I who asked the question ...

astro_2gw_92_has_the_treament_worked_hr7408727667.gif

LadyBella

TEST CHART

WILL I GET MARRIED THIS YEAR (2009). THE ANSWER IS OF COURSE NO

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8298/willigmthisyear.gif

Mars ruling the 1st - NO
Saturn ruling the 3rd of contracts - NO

Hi Natasa,

I am also a beginner but I think you got wrong on interpretating the magic 8 ball, you must choose ONE house (the significant one), above you chose yourself (1st house) and the 3rd (documents, etc).
I think the first marriage is ruled by the 7th house since it's a serious relationship with the other, the 9th is second marriage (I think, not sure). So your 7th house is taurus ruled by venus. Did you marry or no ?
(AGAIN, I AM A BEGINNER !)

Last edited:

tikana

Hi Natasa,

I am also a beginner but I think you got wrong on interpretating the magic 8 ball, you must choose ONE house (the significant one), above you chose yourself (1st house) and the 3rd (documents, etc).
I think the first marriage is ruled by the 7th house since it's a serious relationship with the other, the 9th is second marriage (I think, not sure). So your 7th house is taurus ruled by venus. Did you marry or no ?
(AGAIN, I AM A BEGINNER !)

answer is a NO! because mars / venus do not perfect a sextile in their current signs. moos is in 5th house shows romance but it is not deep committed relationship.

LadyBella

answer is a NO! because mars / venus do not perfect a sextile in their current signs. moos is in 5th house shows romance but it is not deep committed relationship.

I was just guessing by the house ''magic 8 ball'', I haven't even look the aspects, also because I won't give an answer due my low knowledge on astrology, I just wrote down here because I knew the chart was on 2009. But thank you for the explain on the chart, that makes me look at the details.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Everyone should be aware of what I have written about this method in my first post. I am NOT advocating this method; further I do not claim that it is even horary! It is (at best) a type of astro-divination. I am testing it out here on AW, mostly using known-result horaries for this test.

There are some basic assumptions apparently at the basis of this thing:

1) that the question must be legitimate (just like in horary and other forms of divination): for example, the question must be one which the querent does not know the answer to (so "test questions" where the answer is already known are invalid, just as they would be in horary or any other form of divination)
2) that the house representing the subject matter of the question be carefully chosen-this selection of correct signifying house clearly being the most important part of this method; sometimes it is more appropriate to use the Part/Lot which specifically pertains to the matter, rather than the house, as signifier
3) and then determining if a "malefic" (Mars/Saturn) rules the sign on that house (or the sign the Part/Lot is in), or if a "benefic" does so (or the sign the Part/Lot is in); a 'yes' answer if the house is ruled by a "benefic", a 'no' answer if the house is ruled by a "malefic"**;and a 'maybe' anwer if the Moon (Cancer) rules the house; and, regardless of house ruler, a "no" answer if the South Node is in the sign on that house cusp.

My tests (experiments actually) with the 8 Ball here on AW have all used whole sign house format; whether or not the same results would be had with quadrant systems I cannot say. I assume that the ancient Walis tribe of astrologers and fortune tellers (10th century AD and earlier) probably used the Alchabitius house system, which was then in universal use throughout Islamic astrology-however, since there is no available literature on this specific subject (other than oblique references to the Walis and some of their methods by Al-Biruni, Al-Kindi, Thabit ibn Qurra and a few other early-Islamic writers) I have no definite idea what house system they used for this method of astr-divination. But of course I don't care what house system was used: I am only interested in seeing what this divination method might do with the only house format I use, which is whole sign. I would suggest to any of our AW friends who MIGHT want to test out this 8 Ball thing for themselves, to test it out using the whole sign house format.

The 8 Ball seems-even to ME-just too simple to actually and reliably work in practice-I believe that by the time I have run 100 tests vs known-result horaries the 8 Ball results will be no better than chance.
But so far (1/11/11), out of 32 such tests on this site the 8 Ball has been correct (made a correct yes/no prediction) 26 times and has been incorrect 6 times, yielding an approx. 80% accuracy rate. Now I think this is just a run of luck (and I have posted this opinion of mine on 8 Ball results several times previously on AW): but I am going to press on with my testing of this method until 100 cases have been tested, and then I'll see what the % of accuracy is.

At this point in time I still think that when the final results are in I will be laughing at the 8 Ball along with our other AW members, and will join them and say, "no way could astrological prediction-even just yes/no prediction-be so simple!"...

However, I am not laughing yet...

**this concept seems to mirror Ibn Ezra's horary dictum ("Beginning of Wisdom",qv), that ..."wherever you find a benefic pronounce good and wherever your find a malefic pronounce evil..."

Last edited:

Sun Scor Moon Aqu Asc Vir

If I go with the part of Medicine :pinched: which I hope I have calculated correctly (correct me if I am wrong please) on the whole sign chart I get :saturn: traditional ruler of :aquarius: which = No ?

I had a hunch :saturn:was more appropriate but will let you know the outcome :smile:

I can`t find a part for communication in any list to compare the result with a correct house placement chart I did recently ..

None have been incorrect yet and fun to do ...

scorpioontherun

so, for statistics, I asked will I find love (as in a romance, with feelings that gives me pleasure and happiness) in the next three months?
I took the fifth house : sagi, jupiter = yes
I took the part of venus: 10 leo = yes

I'll let you know

Attachments

• love.gif
    love.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 78

dr. farr

+Sun scor moon:
...yes I think the Part of Medicine would be more specific than the 6th house (although pets-small animals- and their condition is under the 6th)
Please do update (relative to whether the medicament worked or not) so that I can record either a correct or incorrect result in my continuing test of the 8 Ball method. Thank you for testing.

+Scorpioontherun:
...either the 5th or Part of Venus I think would be specific (I probably would have taken the 5th) Either way, though, both gave a yes answer by the 8 Ball.
Please do update and thank you for testing.

Last edited:

tikana

I was just guessing by the house ''magic 8 ball'', I haven't even look the aspects, also because I won't give an answer due my low knowledge on astrology, I just wrote down here because I knew the chart was on 2009. But thank you for the explain on the chart, that makes me look at the details.

as crazy as it sounds horary is not that difficult

1. If lord of 1st and whatever asked about not making any aspects, answer is NO UNLESS when faster planet separating from slower planet but 3rd planet is reconnecting with either of the planets that are separating from each other answer is YES (another person will be involved in bringing the perfection)

2. If Moon is a co-ruler of the asce *when she is not ruling the other party* connecting with lord of the asking, it is a yes.

the tricky part comes in when you look at the aspects

Trines and sextiles USUALLY a yes UNLESS one or both planets are ill placed such as detriment, fall, peregrine, combustion, retrogration and etc. Even with a trine, nothing will happen because planets cannot pull their own weight.

Conjunctions are tricky - they maybe showing a connection but it may fail if conjunction occurs in ill house.

squares and oppositions - very likely a NO. If square occurs when both planets are strong or in mutual reception, answer would be better not even start it because it is not worth the hassle. Opposition flat out - separation - even if 2 parties get togehter, they will separate on a long run.

so that is about it!

T

LadyBella

1. If lord of 1st and whatever asked about not making any aspects, answer is NO UNLESS when faster planet separating from slower planet but 3rd planet is reconnecting with either of the planets that are separating from each other answer is YES (another person will be involved in bringing the perfection)

2. If Moon is a co-ruler of the asce *when she is not ruling the other party* connecting with lord of the asking, it is a yes.

Trines and sextiles USUALLY a yes UNLESS one or both planets are ill placed such as detriment, fall, peregrine, combustion, retrogration and etc. Even with a trine, nothing will happen because planets cannot pull their own weight.

Conjunctions are tricky - they maybe showing a connection but it may fail if conjunction occurs in ill house.

squares and oppositions - very likely a NO. If square occurs when both planets are strong or in mutual reception, answer would be better not even start it because it is not worth the hassle. Opposition flat out - separation - even if 2 parties get togehter, they will separate on a long run.

so that is about it!

T

Love it !!! thank you Tikana,(clear and simple) ! :sideways:

juicey J.

Banned

so that is about it!

T

Good explaination as usually but you know well there is a bit more to it then that. If the rising is early (3 or less degrees) its to early to tell, if its late ( 27+) matter either way has already been decided. If the moon is void course (isn't going to make an applying aspect to any of the major planets before leaving sign) the chart is unreadable. If saturn is in the 7th the chart is unreadable. If the last aspect the moon makes before leaving sign is a square, oppostion, or conjunction to saturn or mars its bad tidings for the matter in question. If the ic/mc is square, oppostion, to saturn or mars as their last aspect and the moon makes no postive applying aspect to a benefic as its last aspect the matter will won't end well. If the part of fortune is in the 8th or 12th house (unless the matter deals with one of these houses directly) or is square, oppostion, mars or saturn with no postive aspect to a benefic (venus, jupiter) this doesn't hold well for the matter.

Last edited: