Suicide

gaer

Liquid Green said:
not sure if this is any help to this subject but apparently australia has the highest rate of suicide of young people in the world! (i am guessing 16-25 years) perhaps someone familiar with astrocartography could help with the reasons why australia is a biggy in suicide deaths.
Hmm. I wonder why?

I find that shocking.

Kingsley

Not sure one could approach astrocartography in that way Liquid. Unless that is we amassed all the birthdates of suicidees and did their astro mapping. If there was a major phenomenon happening in Australia, the most likely place to investigate it would be the chart for australia.

We get about 2000 suicides per year in australia, 80% are men dying and the peak stats are for men between 24 and 32. Men are 4 times likely to suicide than women. The Northern Territory has the highest incidence of suicide.

cheers

kingsley

thanks for your factual info Kingsley...........Just putting the idea out there.

australian chart hey? will look into it and perhaps take it to another thread.

Gaer...........sad hey?

Natasha

Hard Saturn aspects can be experianced as depression by some of us and we dont ask for this it just seems to happen
But underneath we can find ansers - seeking the quidance of a therapist is a great way to help us thru these times
The Therapist is like Charon the ferryman on the river styx who takes the souls across the river styx (the river of forgetfulness) into the unconscious.
This way we find how we can access the cause of the depression which prompts feelings of hopelessness.

We are being asked to transform in some way and resist thru fear or not knowing what to do but feeling the enormous unconscious inner pressure to transform.

Acessing these inner issues thru a guide (the therapist) will help to lead us to answers

gaer

Natasha said:
Hard Saturn aspects can be experianced as depression by some of us and we dont ask for this it just seems to happen
But underneath we can find ansers - seeking the quidance of a therapist is a great way to help us thru these times.
I believe that we can't help other people understand really important challenges in life unless we have been through them ourselves.

Difficult Saturn aspects may show depression, sadness, heaviness, but I think they also show the potential to help other people through hard times.

There are always two sides to Saturn, just like any other planet. :)

Kingsley

gaer said:
I believe that we can't help other people understand really important challenges in life unless we have been through them ourselves.

Very true. Some of the best therapists have indeed got this kind of "experiencial training" and those who are not therapists of any kind, should be.

kingsley

gaer

Kingsley said:
Very true. Some of the best therapists have indeed got this kind of "experiencial training" and those who are not therapists of any kind, should be.

kingsley
There are many ways to help other people that are not included under the label "therapists".

One is mentoring, and I believe we all have opportunities to share our personal experiences in ways that can make all the difference in the world for at least a few other people. :)

mdinaz

Kingsley said:

kingsley

True, but some of us who would make good therapists have no desire to endure 10 years of schooling and indoctrination, as well as heavy licensing and political medical association pandering. There are many people with talents in many fields who don't pursue those careers because of that.

Natasha

Liquid Green said:
not sure if this is any help to this subject but apparently australia has the highest rate of suicide of young people in the world! (i am guessing 16-25 years) perhaps someone familiar with astrocartography could help with the reasons why australia is a biggy in suicide deaths.
Australia is one of the most atheist countries - whilst Xmas & easter are public holidays there is very little spirituality. Correspondingly other types of spirituality are not practiced either.
The government run schools pretty much discourage religion and encourage an atheist world where current science provides all answers .
Spirituality is mostly a figure of fun. Of course there are some people who practice spirituality eg Jewish who are community spirited people.
Then there is a small spread of born again christianity but by the main Oz would have to be one of the most atheist countries in the world

When we visited China we were reading a booklet which was in our room. It was saying that recently the Chinese government have done a reverse about religion and are now encouraging people to be spiritual in their chosen spirituality. It seems the Chinese government felt their people were less caring when athiesm was pushed upon them.

Also Australia is a very macho country. WHilst it could be a bother for women trying to break thru the glass ceiling, it is probably difficult for young men.
Young men are expected to be the macho sterotype - to not show emotions, to only love sport cars and other stereotypical male things. The peer group pressure between Ozzie men is very strong. They MUST be a certian way & talk & act a certian way - this macho male way or be regarded as a pussy.
THis expectation is not just in the blue collar worker socio economic group but is equally as strong in your office amogst IT professionals, business men, Lawyers etc etc. I am not surprised that some young men feel trapped & lost.

I have heard some discussions about this very topic but changing the Culture would be nigh on impossible it seems
The media which has a lot of power here - reinforce this macho male sterotype

Last edited:

gaer

Natasha said:
Australia is one of the most atheist countries - whilst Xmas & easter are public holidays there is very little spirituality. Correspondingly other types of spirituality are not practiced either.
Are you absolutely sure you are making a differentiation between a dislike or distrust of organized religion and atheism?

I have no connection to any organized religion. But I am most certainly not an atheist.

I can't address your other point, about a macho-society. I have never lived in Australia, never experienced life there. However, I would say that there is just as much pressure in the US to be "macho", and I don't see that we are much lower in suicide statistics.

One other point: suicide figures are often misleading. Many suicides, for instance, are reported as accidents to avoid shaming or upsetting families. And this might be more common in societies where traditional religious values are stressed.

As I understand it, in many religions, suicide is considered a "sin" or at least something terribly shameful. In a more secular society, the view towards ending one's life might be very different.

Regardless, any figures supporting an increase of suicides among young people is tragic, and I do think it is of utmost importance to find out why this is happening—in any country.

Gaer

Last edited:

Natasha

gaer said:
Are you absolutely sure you are making a differentiation between a dislike or distrust of organized religion and atheism?
I have no connection to any organized religion. But I am most certainly not an atheist.Gaer
Yes to all of the above - ie MANY distrust or dislike organised religion and some are atheist
gaer said:
I can't address your other point, about a macho-society. I have never lived in Australia, never experienced life there. However, I would say that their is just as much pressure in the US to be "macho", and I don't see that we are much lower in suicide statistics.Gaer
Its hard to say. I have visited the US and it does not seem to be as macho as Australia but we often visit a place with rose colored glasses as we are there on holidays. I am sure Oz is not alone in the sterotype pressure. It has been discussed by social caring groups as a possible issue tho but like everything else I am not there is not one clear answer.

gaer said:
One other point: suicide figures are often misleading. Many suicides, for instance, are reported as accidents to avoid shaming or upsetting families. And this might be more common in societies where traditional religious values are stressed.
As I understand it, in many religions, suicide is considered a "sin" or at least something terribly shameful. In a more secular society, the view towards ending one's life might be very different.
Gaer
That is an excellent point I didnt think of. Oz is massivley NOT religious as a community. Even the schools push atheism. We dont have ANY lobby groups for 'christian values' - maybe a lone cry from the churches with empty pews.

Mind you we love Australia & in many ways its a terrific country - we are not a patriotic country at all and we could be but we have a good standard of living, a great public transport system here in melbourne, good pay & conditions in the workplace and we are democratic so we are luckly like that but our society does have problems like larrikinism deliquinecy and even more sadly the young male suicide. Some people do feel adrift in this society which has poor or no local community group connections at grass roots (ie the people) and no spiritual or emotional supports within communities. Still in the affulent societies it seems to be a modern side effect - tragic of course when life is lost due to it.

Last edited:
In response to natashas post......
i would say that i think kingsleys post about the highest suicide rate being in NT would say alot.......the lack of work, isolation, heat and lack of water, would have a lot to do with the suicide rate......I would guess the majority of those deaths would have to do with aboriginals aswell, not feeling like they have many options..........my guess would be that the droughts around the country would be adding to the statistics aswell, .....proud men watching everything they have worked for going to dust.....

I actually disagree with the idea that machoness and larrikinism could have anything to do with suicide.....those things go hand in hand with some kind of self importance in my opinion......not a trait i would associate with suicide....I think the larrikinsm would be a trait that would keep heads above the water so to speak....keeping the humour.....and keeping the need to keep going......but thats just my opinion.

I think alcohol would have a lot to do with it....and australias gambling opportunities too..........i wouldnt say atheism would have a great deal to do with it either.....i think some religions could allow some to attempt to keep standards that are impossible and think that that would be a reason that some committ suicide.......but those are just my opinions.....and i know nothing about the subject really.............

I would like to ask though, does anyone think a lack of water in the chart or excessive water in a chart could have anything to suicide?

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi all:
A long time ago, when I was a schoolteacher, I taught a set of twins-from the age of 12 to when they left school at 18.Both were very talented and both suffered from depression.
At age 21 the female twin committed suicide. The male twin embarked on a serious rampage with drugs and alcohol, which is current...He holds a very responsible job and has a family but he *binges* in a very risk taking manner. This leads me to conclude that how we deal with neptune is an important aspect of suicide. ...How strong we are in regard to how strong neptune is!
In the case of the twins (whose charts I do not have), their ascendants would have been at most 30 minutes apart...which could place the ascendant of one at a *critical degree*...The moon would be close for them both so aspects to house cusps could be significant.
in the longer term the behaviour of the surviving twin is self-destructive...
I guess we can generalise til the cows come home....a thought is only that until mars activates an action...
When you look at transits of the twins....because their natals are so close they had the same transits the day of the suicide...only one did...the other
was at work.
it raises interesting questions...a chemical malfunction in the brain?
The *will to live* over-ridden by an astrological influence? Total loss of hope? (Neptune and Uranus maybe?) A chemically-influenced state of mind that would just *pass* unless mars got involved....?
I think *strength* of the ascendant may be a factor...and saturn placement could be an obvious indication too..
just a few thoughts...
lillyjgc

Natasha

Everyone has posted some heartfelt input to this sensitive subject
I havent got anything to add at this stage but did find a link some may find interesting regarding stats for Oz suicides. Its basically a collection of stats & even tho from the Christian 'mission' does not seem to be slanted in any way as far as I could see from a brief review - its a little oldish but would probably be still relevant
It does mention most of the suggestions people made
FYI

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/publications/r&d/suicide.htm#causes

Last edited:
Thats really sad Natasha........................:( Australia needs to pull there finger out! We are one of the lucky countries of the world.....its about time these people arent forgotten!

gaer

lillyjgc said:
Hi all:
A long time ago, when I was a schoolteacher, I taught a set of twins-from the age of 12 to when they left school at 18.Both were very talented and both suffered from depression.
At age 21 the female twin committed suicide. The male twin embarked on a serious rampage with drugs and alcohol, which is current...He holds a very responsible job and has a family but he *binges* in a very risk taking manner. This leads me to conclude that how we deal with neptune is an important aspect of suicide. ...How strong we are in regard to how strong neptune is!
Good point. One person may suddenly take his/her life. Another may start on the road to destruction in a way that is just as lethal, but one that may take many years to destroy the body and mind.

At least one indication for me is a combination of difficult aspects to Saturn AND to Neptune, in the same chart.
it raises interesting questions...a chemical malfunction in the brain?
I think there is a great deal of evidence of this. I don't think we can predict who will or who will not commit suicide, but I think many of the factors that lead to it can be seen, such as a tendency towards depression, lack of confidence, etc.

In general, I think we can read from charts who is more likely to an "eternal optimist" or a "sad sack".

Gaer

I dont like the term chemical malfunction............chemical reaction sounds better. For example.....a response to certain stimuli.............an orgasm is a chemical release in the body........oxytocin.....I am sure the same goes for a depressive time in a persons life that leads them to suicide.......all emotions, stimulate chemical releases......sometimes they can be pleasant and other times not.......( but i guess some would say the chemicals create the emotions.......i strongly disagree)
Such stigma in my view surrounding mental illness.......its not always something wrong........(that can be labelled for ever........its hard to explain, but i find some harshness in the word malfunction.......)
I reckon that could be a good reason so many people kill themselves.......lack of understanding of what a person is going through.....and the lack of support that also follows.
Personally think, regardless of the astro involved, the greater community has a great responsiblity to these premature deaths........education is highly needed.

watchman512

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saturn[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saturn is often seen as Father Time--when your time's up--you're going. Father Time is here for all of us. We are all going to die some day. However, we move through many "mini-deaths" throughout our lives on the spiritual, emotional and mental level, too. And Time does erode our body so that when we're in our sixties, our body does not function as a twenty-year old's will, too. Its your choice on how you handle Saturn's energy.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Saturn death is a lingering death. It doesn't happen quickly; it happens over time. Sometimes, a long, suffering time. Saturn is one of the planet's of longevity in one's life, also. The good side of Saturn, so to speak. A conjunction, sextile or trine between this planet and your Sun can give you a long, long life, although the whole chart must be taken into consideration for this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Uranus[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Uranus is implicated in surgery and accidents. Usually accidents of a "weird" or unusual nature--such as sky diving, bungee jumping, while you're skiing you run into and hit a tree and kill yourself--or some other loopy, dumb kind of thing that no one would ever think could happen and create an accident. Uranus also rules airplanes and flight.It also rules over lightning and electricity--so many people get a jolt--either by a cord, by a lightning bolt or zapped through some strange, odd way. Surgery is co-ruled with Uranus along with Mars. With Uranus, you can have a "weird" car accident, or unexpected surgery .[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Uranus death is always sudden. There is no lingering on with this planet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neptune[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drug over doses, recreation drug death, death by flesh eating bacteria, by a nasty virus, or by prescription or over-the-counter drugs fall under Neptune's massive coverage. Drowning accidents figure prominently here, as well. Water related deaths or near deaths always find Neptune and Admetos active at the time. Of course, there is death by drowning of having too much fluid in your lungs; drowning by suffocation. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, such as asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia and emphysema are Neptune's rulership as well. Anything having to do with water inside or outside the body is Neptune's base of operation. It could be a flood that kills someone. Or a flood of liquid, such as blood in the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart and stops the heart from beating. Deaths or near deaths that have Neptune prominently figured will always have a cloak of mystery about them, too. In some cases, no one will ever really know how it happened or what the person died of or from what. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People with an active Neptune at the time of their death will usually die in their sleep. Or, they will die of suffocation. A nice trine from one's Sun to Neptune means a quiet, gentle passing in one's sleep.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pluto[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transformation is asked for by this planet. Pluto deaths are usually pretty final and not always pretty. They usually involve massive trauma to the body, or there's little left to identify or its hard to identify.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deaths with Pluto can be violent; and a good example of this is the heart attack, where it comes out of nowhere, hits with the velocity of a Mac truck, is massive and nothing can be done to save the person, no matter what. The heart can literally, explode. Or, a aorta can 'blow' and the person bleeds to death in three to five minutes. Or a massive stroke or hemorrhage will finish them off quickly. There's something to be said for a 'swift' death and Pluto helps make that possible.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A good sign of longevity is a conjunction, sextile or trine between one's Pluto and Sun; although the whole chart must be taken into consideration for this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mars[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mars acts as a "trigger" for death or a near-death experience. It also rules knives, guns and fires. You will see an active Mars in a lot of violent shootings. Mars is about a violent death of some sort -through some kind of sport-related accident or a car accident. Mars rules mechanical things and machinery and often, people slice off a finger, get their arm ripped off in a combine, or are decapitated or lose a leg in an accident. Mars is one of the co-rulers of surgery, so any accident involving Mars can mean minor or major surgery, too. Since Mars rules anger, temper and the male harmone testosterone, these additions can make or break if there will be an accident or death--or not. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deaths are usually violent and sudden and the person may die instantly (as in a bullet to the head) or linger on for a couple of days, and maybe a week--but no more than that. A Mars death is clean and swift.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hades[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is one of the Uranian planets and is considered the planet of disintegration.Hades will turn those festering mass of bad feelings and experiences into a disease--a chronic one--to get your attention so that you will handle matters in a more straight-forward fashion. And if you don't, you will die of a chronic disease, instead. The flip side of Hades is therapy and shamanic healing or ceremonial healing of some sort from antiquity--which can help save your life and get you back on track with yourself. A Hades death is slow, arduous, a cell at a time and can take a decade or more to slowly erode and dissolve the walls/cells/bones of our body until there's very little left. AIDS is a good example of a Hades disease.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Admetos[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is another Uranian planet. For those who love to suppress/repress their hard feelings, their hard knocks in life, their bitterness, their bad luck, their trauma, , is doing an Admetos response. Admetos has an affinity for the Moon and is often seen as the other symbol for the mother. It is also about our subconscious. In its most lurid form, the monsters and the Shadow within ourselves is mirrored by this planet.Very often, with a strong Admetos natally in one's chart, this can mean that a "photograph" of a trauma occurred very early in life--especially in utero--while being carried by Mom--and it stains the person's entire life-force.This planet rules strangulation of the person. The person suffocates in some way. It could be due to an overdose of prescription, over-the-counter or other drugs, inhaling poisonous gas of some kind ,being poisoned by drinking water , or inhaling poisonous air that accumulates and you get sick and die from it.Admetos is about the hidden, poisonous things in our everyday environment that can potentially kill us. Admetos means death by slow, gradual onset and poisoning. An Admetos death can take years, if not a decade. And the person suffers enormously over time, if the source of the poisoning to them is not identified. A person slowly being poisoned by arsenic being put in their food daily, is a good example of this--a lot of liver pain, a lot of suffering, but its slow and unmerciful.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]North and South Nodes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Moon's Nodes are intimately concerned with the forging of connections and the dissolving of connections. These connections are with other people, places, associations, groups, your company/corporation and possibly, the country you live in.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are constantly cutting ties and making new ones. The North Node is about creating new ties. That can be seen as dying and going to a more ethereal place of existence. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The South Node is about creating old connections with old, familiar places, people or things.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They will be active in a marriage, in a divorce, in a birth, in a death, in the creation of a company, or the dissolvement of a corporation or country.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chiron[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chiron is the gatekeeper. He is often active when a person takes on a disease in order to move and learn deeper, more enriching enlightenment about one's self or others. Around age 50, many people will take on a disease. This is not to say they are bad people.There are hidden blessings in disease and I've seen Chiron act like a 'fast track' to spiritual evolution for a person when this happens.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Chiron death can be quick and merciful or drag on forever; and much depends upon aspect to it from other planets.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Venus[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When someone is in the process of dying, Venus or Jupiter would be always around. They are both "guardian angels" of a type; although Jupiter's other side can be heavily involved in a death. Venus promises no suffering, or a very short period of suffering. There is grace with this planet when it comes to dying. It says that the dying will be "easy" or painless or less of something other than it could have been. Venus is sometimes seen in deaths where the person dies in their sleep. Venus around is good because the person sees his journey into death as something beautiful, creative and an opening, not an ending or a closing or a loss.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jupiter[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]upiter is involved in aggressive cancers where there is cellular regeneration at optimum, and tumors are present, or an aggressive lymphoma. Ailments involving the liver can also come from this planet, as well. Tumors are Jupiter's "thing." It is also, by co-rulership of the liver, tied into the lymphatic system as well which is why, in many forms of cancer and dying of cancer, the Jupiter is active by transit or progression. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the other hand, Jupiter is also the "guardian angel" provided it is in good, soft aspect at the time. If it is, it means a gentle, non-struggling death. Transit is easy and comes all at once, although the person may linger for days, weeks, or even months. With a good Jupiter aspect around at the time, the person does not suffer as much. They will also have a wonderful, optimistic, open attitude about their passing into the next world.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poseidon[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This Uranian planet is very often involved in a death aspect.Having Poseidon around when you die, is the perfect close to one door and the opening of another.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poseidon was the God of the Ocean. Consider it a higher spiritual octave of Neptune.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People who have Poseidon active at the time they die have seen their personal Truth. By dying, they receive illumination during the death transit. Poseidon can be seen active in slow, gradual deaths. And it is only when the end has finally come, that this planet makes its final station, that the person gets some kind of incredible, soul breakthrough. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sun[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sun can be intimately tied into our death time.The two big "triggers" in progressed charts is your Mars and Sun. Many times, in many deaths, the Sun is not prominent. With the Sun involved, it usually means the person has truly fulfilled all there soul desires this time around and it is a natural time to move on.A Sun death can be slow or quick. Usually, there is some beautiful gift of awareness, a deeper soul connection made with the self before passing--a gift is given because these people have earned such grace by working hard, being responsible and shouldering the loads they came in to carry and learn from or give back to humanity in the balance of their unique karma.[/FONT]

alliewar

Shining Ray said:
In the natal chart for possible indications for a person who may be suicidal I have read is:

Mars 12th house/Pisces/angular to Neptune
Pluto in 12th house or in 8th house
Neptune in 8th house or in 1st

But these people may also be exposed to a suicide in their environment. I have read for transits that Pluto transiting the 12th house/Neptune or Pisces can be self destructive at this time. I would think Mars would have to be involved to activate such violence to one's own body so possibly look to Mars being involved in the transit. A Mars/Neptune/Pluto type energy transiting.

Thoughs aspects are in my chart, so it is true. I was suicidal, and still can be at times.