Astrology of Families and Nodes

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't know if anyone's working specifically with the nodes in this context, but I have seen some articles on family synastry in the Mountain Astrologer. I don't remember who wrote them, though.

Giving birth is always a monumental event. Consequently, the mother's chart and the child's chart always have some highly significant synastry placements. A planet transiting your nodes, or one of your placements being transited by a node, is one of those possible placements.

With the moon on your first child's south node, I would read this as a very strong ancestry-roots-deep family patterns connection. Whatever unfinished business or other issues you might have had regarding your own family, your own upbringing, inherited patterns (psychological or physical), unconscious patterns, that would naturally have all been stirred up when you became a parent yourself, which happened with the south node transiting your moon. I would say, based on that, that your relationship with your firstborn is a chance to see the unseen, and to go in a new direction if that's what you want.

If your child also has a relationship between their own moon and nodal axis, then the ancestral energies are a significant part of their life, too, even independently of you.

In your second child's case, you didn't mention any planetary conjunctions to the nodes, but your nodes have to be somewhere in their chart. I would pay more attention, in this case, to the north node in the fourth, because it's the north node that makes whatever it's transiting bigger. Did you perhaps become a stay-at-home parent when you had your second child? Shift to a career that related more closely to mothering? Explore your family tree in depth? Move? Or something else with a home/family/roots theme?

Edited to add: It's not clear, from your wording, whether your south node is in your second child's tenth house, or your second child has their own south node in the tenth. I would give the same basic interpretation of that either way, but I think it's also relevant which of your houses your child's nodes are in.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for the magazine tip! I just went to the site and man, are those archives not easily searchable (at least from mobile) for a magazine that I assume isn’t even indexed be any of the major electronic librarians or publishers. Will need to browse on a rainy day..

Most of their stuff, you have to be a subscriber to access. If you're serious about astrology, it's worth getting a subscription.

waybread

Have you looked at Erin Sullivan's book, The Astrology of Family Dynamics?

My husband and I (hey, we're family) have nodal axes that are conjunct and reversed. He's 9.5 years older than I am. It's been interesting.

My interpretation, more generally, is that:

1. The north node shows where your growth lies. Often this is way outside one's comfort zone.

2. The south node shows an area of life you've more or less mastered, but if you stay in this comfort zone, it's easy to stagnate.

There's nothing good or bad, let alone karmic, about the lunar nodes, as I look at them.

I'm not such a fan of evolutionary astrology. I loved the early books by Steven Forrest and still recommend them, but I see too much wishful thinking in evolutionary astrology today.

Then the nodes get modified by sign, house, and aspects. (The usual.)

If your moon conjuncts your child's SN, I would read this as her/him finding you deeply comforting and a safe space, as the moon rules mothers. A good thing with a young child. With an older one, you may have to nudge him/her out of the nest.

Traditionally the 10th house represents the mother. The 4th house is the father, which dates back to ancient days of property and family name passing from father to son. The 4th is basically one's patrimony. So land belongs here, in the sense of property inherited through the male line, or homeland. It's a bit sexist, but accordingly, one's mother is the wife of one's father, or the 7th from the 4th.

Modern astrology reversed these, so I think you can use the house you want for the mother.

Traditionally your child's SN in your 10th house might have a fainter echo of SN conjunct moon.

waybread

Probably Steven Forrest always had an evolutionary bent, but I much prefer his earlier books, like The Inner Sky, where he talks about each planet, sign, and house having a goal, or end-point. Put differently, what is the moon trying to accomplish as a planet? What is its goal in a particular sign or house?

Then in synastry, the goals as expressed by the two people's respective planets and sensitive points may be unrelated, identical, harmonious, or stressful.

My husband and I actually have pretty good synastry: our suns are trined in the same degree, with good "reverse" Mars-Venus chemistry. Unfortunately bunches of our planets are stressed internal to our respective individual charts, so we can seriously reactivate each other!

My NN is in Aries in the 8th house, and I'm still not entirely sure what it means. I think it has to do with developing courage in potentially life-threatening situations, and courage to explore "occult" subjects that not only conflict with my common sense, but our society's as well. My husband and I love the out-of-doors and have gotten into some potential scrapes when hiking and canoeing. I have a serious fear of heights, yet he's gotten me past some scary drop-offs, for example. They're within his Aries SN comfort zone.

Maybe my NN motto should be: "What would you do it you weren't afraid?"

My husband's SN is in Libra, close to his sun. Unfortunately I don't have a birth time for him. According to Forrest, Libra's end-point is a sense of balance. But too much stasis, and Libra gets bored. Also, Libra is supposedly the "marriage" sign. We were both married to other people when we fell in love, which despite our best efforts to handle the situation well, caused no end of grief for our immediate families and beyond. The separation-divorce-remarriage process was a huge learning experience, but a very painful one, and not one I would wish on anyone else.

Which brings me to another point. I think we're meant to get dinged up by life to a certain extent. We're not meant to be Ken and Barbie dolls who never get our of their cellophane packages. If we could use astrology to plan for and smooth over every contingency, we'd be losing out on a lot of real life.

Giving our children unconditional love, plus discipline that is firm but fair, is probably the best we can do for them. Which you are already doing.

waybread

Thanks, Passiflora.

I should have said my husband's NN is very close to his Libra sun. I don't find a sun-NN conjunction often, but when my husband was working, his volunteer position with our employer was similar to being a union grievance officer: someone seriously concerned about justice/injustice.

We were born in very different places. We live in western Canada now but I am originally from the US (dual citizen) and he was born in Africa. I actually haven't looked at the synastry of our relocation charts. I couldn't do anything with houses, unfortunately due to my husband's unknown birth time.

I would see your Jupiter conjunct your partner's NN as having a kind of mentoring effect, and also a feel-good effect. You probably-- even inadvertently-- help to foster his personal growth.

I think reincarnation exists, but I am skeptical of both the Hindu and past-lives karma versions that have come down to us. It bothers me when someone comes to an astrology forum wondering why s/he's so unhappy, and is essentially given the answer, "It's because you were a rotten person in your past life."

There's no verification for this, and it doesn't seem at all helpful.

Some of the past lives delineations (like Jan Spiller's book on the nodes) iare not even historically or demographically feasible. Then how often do we read that someone spent past lives as an agricultural peasant or plumber?

My views on incarnation have been influenced by the Jane Roberts Seth books, and by Jim Tucker's Life Before Life and Return to Life. Tucker is a professor of child psychiatry at the University of Virginia medical school, with a research focus on interviewing young children who claim to recall past lives. Tucker and his research team have had some success in identifying the actual person who lived before the child was born. http://www.jimbtucker.com/ He has been very careful to frame his study and qualify his results in keeping with high scientific research standards.

For vital records of ancestors back a few generations, you might try the on-line Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) family history archives. They let you search by name, location, and approximate dates.

I've been able to trace my family history back at least 4-5 generations, sometimes more. I found that sun-Pluto contacts tend to run in my family. Not every member has them, but my 2.5 year-old grandson was born with his ascendant and first house sun in Scorpio, so the pattern continues. I hadn't thought to look at the nodes, but that would be interesting.

Opal

Premium Member
Another writer is A T Mann. He specifically writes about the nodes and the planets as representing people or events in your life. The Nodes are groups of people according to him. One of his books on it is called The Round Art. All of his astrological writing has the same themes that he expands upon.

Moon - Mother
Sun - Father
Mercury- young males
Venus - young females
Mars - men
Jupiter - Grandfather/Older Men
Saturn - Grandmother/ Older Women
Uranus - Strange Events
Neptune - Deceptive Events
Pluto - Explosive Events
Nodes - Groups of People

waybread

The Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) believe in posthumous baptism, and that it is possible to conduct rites essential to their church teachings on deceased ancestors, thus linking them up in their idea of heaven. Consequently, genealogy is very important to them, but they make their data publicly available. A lot of their information is searchable on-line. They've changed their format since I last used their on-line library, but I think this is it: https://www.familysearch.org/en/ .

Depending upon one's thoughts of reincarnation and genealogy, there is a view that in a disincarnate states, family members agree to work through certain issues. It's a little hard to work these out in terms of what something like "sun-Pluto" means more generally, and whether it functioned the same, say, in the 19th century as it does today.

But just to give you the idea of how astrology can work through families, just a 10-degree orb, major aspects and signs:

Me: sun opposite Pluto
My brother: sun sextile Pluto
My sister: sun conjunct Pluto

My daughter (no contact, unless you count sun semi-sextile Pluto)
My son: (ditto)
My grandson: sun in Scorpio, partile sextile Pluto

My niece 1: (no contact)

My niece 2: sun square Pluto
My niece 3: sun conjunct Pluto in Scorpio

My father: sun conjunct Pluto
My mother: sun in Scorpio trine Pluto

My maternal grandmother: sun conjunct Pluto
My maternal grandfather (no contact)

Paternal grandfather (no contact)
paternal grandmother (need to check)

maternal great-grandmother sun quincunx Pluto (partile)

paternal great-great grandfather: sun trine Pluto

[I have more genealogy records: this is just as far as I got with the charts.)

Last edited:

waybread

Thanks for your interest.

When my abundant spare times permits, I really should go through all the family history birth dates that I have.

In the case of me and my two children, I'm not seeing nodal contacts of the kind you describe, but the nodes may be a theme that your family's generations are working out.

Some of my family's "skipped" sun-Pluto generations had/have moon-Pluto contacts; but without a correct birth time, I'd have to go back and ensure that the orbs would still be valid.

I also have moon widely conjunct and closely parallel Pluto.

My daughter seems to have escaped major aspects for both moon-Pluto and sun-Pluto. Her dad and I are divorced so I can't research his family tree, yet both of them have the 33-year Saturn-Pluto conjunction. I wonder whether a child's planetary "goals" may stop one genealogical track and pick up the other parent's.

I suspect that these genealogical patterns operate at a deeper more esoteric level than simple careers or personality traits; because with the family members I knew/or know, these are often quite different. Just a couple of examples, though:

Pluto/Scorpio: unafraid to tackle life's deeper mysteries, including death, the body.

My father: medical doctor
My brother: scientist whose work involved operating on life animals
My niece #3: physical anthropologist who works with human bones; interested in forensic anthropology.

Pluto can lead to reclusiveness, Roman god Pluto ruled the underworld. Not necessarily unhappily so, but preferring one's own company at home:

My mother
My sister.

Pluto involved in themes of betrayal

Me
My mother
My maternal grandmother

A lot of Pluto seems to deal with the theme of transgression, whether being at the effect of it by somebody else, or perpetrating it oneself.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

How about describing my life by the 10 planets, the nodes and 2 bonus dwarf planets, based on my natal chart. Starts first with the Ascendant or rising sign.

Ascendant - Personality/character > Cancer
Moon - Mother > Aquarius
Sun - Father > Aquarius
Mercury - young males > Pisces
Venus - young females > Aries
Mars - men > Virgo
Ceres - women > Aries
Jupiter - Grandfather/Older Men > Virgo
Saturn - Grandmother/ Older Women > Virgo
Uranus - Strange Events > Scorpio
Neptune - Deceptive Events > Sagittarius
Pluto - Explosive Events > Libra
Eris - Business/workplace > Aries
Nodes - Groups of People > Leo (true), the opposite would be in Aquarius.

Opal

Premium Member
How about describing my life by the 10 planets, the nodes and 2 bonus dwarf planets, based on my natal chart. Starts first with the Ascendant or rising sign.

Ascendant - Personality/character > Cancer
Moon - Mother > Aquarius
Sun - Father > Aquarius
Mercury - young males > Pisces
Venus - young females > Aries
Mars - men > Virgo
Ceres - women > Aries
Jupiter - Grandfather/Older Men > Virgo
Saturn - Grandmother/ Older Women > Virgo
Uranus - Strange Events > Scorpio
Neptune - Deceptive Events > Sagittarius
Pluto - Explosive Events > Libra
Eris - Business/workplace > Aries
Nodes - Groups of People > Leo (true), the opposite would be in Aquarius.

I never read it cold. Usually I am looking at transits with this.

But what the heck.....give me the houses and I’ll play....😄

Your parents.....were both different......sun and moon in Aquarius, I hope in close aspect....what house are they in?

CapAquaPis

The sun/moon conjunction was in the 8th house. Starting from Cancer-my 1st, you can figure out what houses the planets are on my natal chart. Revised list:

Ascendant - Personality/character > Cancer > 1st
Moon - Mother > Aquarius > 8th
Sun - Father > Aquarius > 8th
Mercury - young males > Pisces > 9th
Venus - young females > Aries > 10th
Mars - men > Virgo > 3rd
Ceres - women > Aries > 10th
Jupiter - Grandfather/Older Men > Virgo >3rd
Saturn - Grandmother/ Older Women > Virgo > 3rd
Uranus - Strange Events > Scorpio > 5th
Neptune - Deceptive Events > Sagittarius > 6th
Pluto - Explosive Events > Libra > 4th
Eris - Business/workplace > Aries > 10th
Nodes - Groups of People > Leo (true) NN > 2nd, opposite SN Aquarius > 8th.

Opal

Premium Member
Hi CapAquaPis,

I am curious about feedback for this. Let me know what you think please. My only known aspect is the Sun Moon conjunction.

Usually I am looking at transits on a chart for timing, this, will be vague as the planets change to depict different things at different times in your life, but, here goes.....If any planets are Retrograde it could change from an easy relationship, to a hard one, or even absence of the person being depicted.

- your parents Sun Moon 8th are close, and different. They may work together in a field related to death or other peoples money.

- Mercury 9th young men/boys Pisces sensitive, and you have learned from them, maybe a brother or son or both at different times.

- Venus 10th Aries - if it is close to the MC your Mother shared news of her pregnancy with either a young female friend or sister first.
You may work in a field related to young women.

- Mars 3rd Virgo Your husband is communicative, and pays attention to detail

- Jupiter and Saturn 3rd Virgo could depict a close communication with Grandparents. As with Virgo, detail orientated.

- Uranus 5th Scorpio ages 10 to 16? Different events with friends, and siblings? Maybe dealing with death, or sex.

- Neptune 6th Sag between the ages of 16 to 23 deceptive relationships with whatever planets aspect it. Sports orientated.

- Pluto 4th Libra Life is not fair. Home life rather explosive age time 5 to 10.

- Nodes 2nd Leo if aspecting tightly Sun and Moon, difficulties to your parents with groups of people and monies.

Singularly, there was a large get together about 2 months after you were born, to show you off to your family.

I do not expect this to be accurate. But let me know how it reads to you.

CapAquaPis

Hi CapAquaPis,

I am curious about feedback for this. Let me know what you think please. My only known aspect is the Sun Moon conjunction.

Usually I am looking at transits on a chart for timing, this, will be vague as the planets change to depict different things at different times in your life, but, here goes.....If any planets are Retrograde it could change from an easy relationship, to a hard one, or even absence of the person being depicted.

- your parents Sun Moon 8th are close, and different. They may work together in a field related to death or other peoples money.

- Mercury 9th young men/boys Pisces sensitive, and you have learned from them, maybe a brother or son or both at different times.

- Venus 10th Aries - if it is close to the MC your Mother shared news of her pregnancy with either a young female friend or sister first.

- Jupiter and Saturn 3rd Virgo could depict a close communication with Grandparents. As with Virgo, detail orientated.

- Uranus 5th Scorpio ages 10 to 16? Different events with friends, and siblings? Maybe dealing with death, or sex.

- Neptune 6th Sag between the ages of 16 to 23 deceptive relationships with whatever planets aspect it. Sports orientated.

- Pluto 4th Libra Life is not fair. Home life rather explosive age time 5 to 10.

- Nodes 2nd Leo if aspecting tightly Sun and Moon, difficulties to your parents with groups of people and monies.

Singularly, there was a large get together about 2 months after you were born, to show you off to your family.

I do not expect this to be accurate. But let me know how it reads to you.

That was pretty good...just a reminder Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto and true node were in retrograde. I'm biologically male and attracted to women, Mars in Virgo may represent a girlfriend (I never been married). But I have a half-sister, nephew and step-niece, which are represented by my natal Mercury. About Ceres and Eris in Aries...I believe there were women I looked up to in my life, and my workplace seems to have a strong feminine nature or energy in there. And Pluto in 4th can mean a rather difficult adolescence which I had experienced.

A look back at my life:
- your parents Sun Moon 8th are close and different. They may work together in a field related to death or other peoples money.
(Yes, my Mom and Dad had more differences than similarities. They both worked in municipal public services: my Dad was a firefighter for CalFire and my Mom worked as a police dispatcher. My Dad's first wife was a millionaire-my Mom was his 2nd...he's in his 70s and on his 5th wife. And my Mom had the skill to look after people's finances and business gains-she never remarried in the last 32 years).

(About sensitivity and respect to people, despite I have mild or high-functioning autism, a trait thought to been astrologically linked to Mercury in Pisces or in the 9th house, or Mercury ascendant which I don't have. Cancer Ascendant people like myself have difficult or emotionally dramatic lives. I feel like someone or something cursed me early in life or among my family ancestors a long time ago).

(She had close female friends in her place closer to her than blood relatives who moved out of state like her sister and mother. One of her friends was a registered nurse or medical assistant and she turned 89 last week. A Venus in MC means a powerful female figure or influence in my life. And it's common in many transgender women's astrological charts, like Christine Jorgensen who is Cancer rising).

(In retrograde, my lovers or partners didn't talk to me much and doesn't seem to notice or remember me after I broke up with them).

(In retrograde, my maternal side is halfway the USA, I live in so. Cal. and paternal side lives halfway the world in France in Europe).

(or ages 15-21, like my friends and brother became parents, my Dad's 2 marriages and divorces, and I lost my virginity at age 20).

(Lots of weak relationships with friends or romance, and I didn't do sports, but I had jobs involving lots of physical labor in my 20s).

(More like teenage years, lots of anxiety and depression, I was diagnosed with these disorders I still have and take medications for).

(In retrograde, dysfunctional family traits I observe all around me, and living independently on my fixed income in the last 15 years).

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
My apologies, it was just my presumption that you were female. Thank you for clarifying.

Wow, I did better than I thought, I was not aware of the retrograde planets when writing.

I am curious as to the position of your Chiron. Actually, I am curious now to see your natal chart. If you are comfortable with that. You can PM it to me if you are comfortable with that.

I don't know a lot of transgender people, distant acquaintances. I have lived in small towns in Canada for the most part. I was usually considered one of the strangest persons in town.:andy::lol:

Thanks for the detailed response.

CapAquaPis

My apologies, it was just my presumption that you were female. Thank you for clarifying.

Wow, I did better than I thought, I was not aware of the retrograde planets when writing.

I am curious as to the position of your Chiron. Actually, I am curious now to see your natal chart. If you are comfortable with that. You can PM it to me if you are comfortable with that.

I don't know a lot of transgender people, distant acquaintances. I have lived in small towns in Canada for the most part. I was usually considered one of the strangest persons in town.:andy::lol:

Thanks for the detailed response.

I had to check my natal chart and ephemeris to make sure my portrayal is accurate. Chiron is in Taurus, the "planet" associated with medical issues and ailments, and it is in my 11th house. And Lilith (symbol of death, illness and negativity) is in Virgo right next to Saturn (Saturn in 24-25', Lilith in 25-26' in virgo), both are malefics in astrology and when they go together, it will be negative. You noticed I have something "female" about me, I happen to be genderfluid and still I'm a biological male attracted to women. And may I add I have a mild or high-functioning form of autism, the Mercury in Pisces in 9th is a strong indicator of someone with a mental disorder or disability.

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
I had to check my natal chart and ephemeris to make sure my portrayal is accurate. Chiron is in Taurus, the "planet" associated with medical issues and ailments, and it is in my 11th house. And Lilith is in Virgo right next to Saturn, both are malefics in astrology and when they go together, it will be negative. You noticed I have something "female" about me, I happen to be genderfluid and still I'm a biological male attracted to women. And may I add I have a mild or high-functioning form of autism, the Mercury in Pisces in 9th is a strong indicator of someone with a mental disorder or disability.

Chiron, to me is the wounded healer. He denotes our deepest pain and how to combat it. I will read on yours, but I would like your birth data.

A side note to David. The Age of Aquarius, transgender and transfluid are Aquarius.