Vocationally confused

trickster

Hi everyone! :happy:

I'm new here, and I have to admit that I joined with an ulterior motive: To get some help figuring out, once and for all, what I want to be when I grow up!

Some background: I'm a former wife and a stay-at-home-mom of adults who no longer need full-time mothering. Now that I have time to do my own thing, I'm having trouble deciding what that thing should be. I've been dabbling in astrology since I was a kid, so naturally I've gone through my favorite books until I'm seeing conjuncts and sextiles in my sleep, but so far all I've managed is to narrow my options down to the same few categories over and over again - nothing specific enough for me to grab hold and say "Yes! This! This exact profession is what I want to do with my new life!"

If anyone wants to practice their vocational astrology on my chart, that would be very, very appreciated! Or if anyone just wants to say hi and maybe make a new friend who's into the stars, that would be fantastic too! :happy:

Attachments

• my natal with progressions and transits 63 percent.gif
    my natal with progressions and transits 63 percent.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 62

trickster

Thanks for your response! :smile:

I'm not opposed to returning to college, though I don't think I have the patience to work in the public school system - or really, in any hierarchical system. Before I gave it all up to get married, office work or sales could literally make me sick. :sick: With my independent streak, being my own boss would be preferable.

Teaching in some other form is a possibility. I've considered putting together some e-courses for an informal online site that doesn't require credentials. (It's a legit site; I've been a student there for a couple of years.)

*sigh* I've considered a lot of options, but I'm stuck, and exhausted. Trying to choose one option and move forward has felt like banging my head against a wall. My life has been turned upside down since the divorce - loss of friends, surgery, costly unexpected home repairs... I'm not sure which god I annoyed, but I wish he'd get over it already! lol

Here's what I've come up with:

• Creative work (based on my skills, writing or jewelry-making are realistic possibilities)
  • Alternative healing (the first thing most intuitives say to me is, "You're a healer!")
  • Counseling
  • Travel (doing what?)
  • The paranormal or spiritual (see above)
  • Humanitarianism (see above above)
  • Astrology
  • Some type of research or investigation
  • Feng Shui
  • Some other way of "creating a home", whatever that means
See what I mean? Broad categories with very few specifics, and I'm at the point where I need specifics. I'll admit, having a lot of interests hasn't helped - it's a matter of "If I choose this, then I won't be doing that or that or that!" Like I said, I'm stuck. Hopefully someone here will pour astrological insights down upon me and help me get unstuck. :smile:

conspiracy theorist

I'm not sure if you realized it but you actually have a good idea of where you want to go with your next career steps. The major thing I see is that you'll have to spend more time trying to organize a plan that would encompass all of those desires and most importantly, taking action.

for instance:

This -
Counseling

with these -
Humanitarianism (see above above)
Alternative healing (the first thing most intuitives say to me is, "You're a healer!")
Astrology

This -
Creative work (based on my skills, writing or jewelry-making are realistic possibilities)

with these -
Feng Shui
Some other way of "creating a home", whatever that means

this -
Some type of research or investigation

with these-
The paranormal or spiritual (see above)
Astrology

And once you become versed enough, you can travel to do all the above. Looking at your chart modernly, Saturn conj the MC in Aquarius is a good symbol for an authority figure in the realm of alternative living. Being Rx and naturally delaying, this indicates that this would become operative later in life and it sounds by your own account that a chapter of your life is effectively finished and it's time to move forward.

Last edited:

trickster

It has definitely been a matter of not being able to see the forest for the trees... and being afraid that if I run into the forest, I'll smack my head on a tree. A violent childhood and a depressing marriage have left me with very little self-confidence. It's frustrating to be afraid of taking risks, because I also crave adventure, and my life could use a little shaking-up (in a good way).

Yes, I'm in the second half of my life, and hesitantly optimistic about starting something new. I guess I've been wanting someone to make my choice for me and tell me exactly what to do - which isn't horribly realistic; as stubborn as I am, I probably wouldn't do it anyway! lol

I will give some serious thought to what you've said about combining options. Thanks! :smile:

trickster

I'm still having trouble figuring this out. All my life, people have been telling me what I am/what I should be. Only once has anyone asked me what I want - and that was after telling me that I'm a healer.

If anyone reading this has played Sibylline's Careers by the Natal Chart game, what would you guess my career to be? (I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to do; I'm just wondering if there are options I haven't considered. :smile: )

sibylline

Looking at the connections between the 2nd, 6th, and 10th, I think you would do well running your own business, even if it were something small or part-time. Something hands on, and unique or creative. Seems like you've already thought of that though... Good idea. :)

ETA: Another thought -- healthcare. Looks like you thought of that too, or at least alternative healing.

Last edited:

trickster

Looking at the connections between the 2nd, 6th, and 10th, I think you would do well running your own business, even if it were something small or part-time. Something hands on, and unique or creative. Seems like you've already thought of that though... Good idea. :)

ETA: Another thought -- healthcare. Looks like you thought of that too, or at least alternative healing.

Thanks, Sibylline, I appreciate the input! :smile:

I think part of the reason I'm having so much trouble choosing something is that I've faced so many control issues all my life - "You can be this, not that" - that I've retreated into my shell. It's time to overcome all those issues, and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Part of it is that I'm very home oriented, and even though I haven't honored it, I have a huge independent streak; so I really don't like working for other people.

And part of it is that I'm what some people call "a variety seeker"; most people have less flattering names for it. lol Doing the same thing every day is soul-numbing for me - unless it's something that sparks one of my interests; then I can happily spend 12 hours a day at it. I made and sold art dolls on Etsy for awhile, and I'm a fairly good writer, but I've been told many times that I'll never make a living at either.

Well-meaning people have told me, "You're an adult. Get over it, and do what you want to do." Well, I'm a Cancerian adult with anxiety issues from an abusive childhood and a controlling, isolating marriage, and I don't know what I want to do. There are things that I enjoy doing, but there's also a lot of fear. :(

detectahead

Here's an idea up for thought,a "New Age" book store,you could have a home environment setting where patrons could relax leisurely while they looked at books mags of interests. These books would relate to astrology,numerology and the metaphysical and other related subjects. You could have it structured in a similar way "like a library". Would be easier to keep inventory
You could also offer candles,
incense and accessories,oils and burners,Dreamcatchers,crystals and gemstones,jewelry(and some of your own),journals and notebooks.
Get the names of people in local businesses of yoga and massage.

This is something that could be right up your alley. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

trickster

Here's an idea up for thought,a "New Age" book store,you could have a home environment setting where patrons could relax leisurely while they looked at books mags of interests. These books would relate to astrology,numerology and the metaphysical and other related subjects. You could have it structured in a similar way "like a library". Would be easier to keep inventory
You could also offer candles,
incense and accessories,oils and burners,Dreamcatchers,crystals and gemstones,jewelry(and some of your own),journals and notebooks.
Get the names of people in local businesses of yoga and massage.

This is something that could be right up your alley. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for your response! :smile: Unfortunately, I don't have the money to start something like that; otherwise, it's a good idea.

I've considered opening a spiritual learning center, with classes on dream work, yoga, journaling, shamanism, cooking, astrology, crafting, and so on. (Obviously, I wouldn't teach all those things myself, just the things I'm good at; I'd hire other people to teach the things I can't.) I can picture it being on wooded land, with a stream or by a lake, and with buildings that are solar- and wind-powered. Unfortunately, I can't afford this either. :unsure:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for your response! :smile: Unfortunately, I don't have the money to start something like that; otherwise, it's a good idea.

I've considered opening a spiritual learning center, with classes on dream work, yoga, journaling, shamanism, cooking, astrology, crafting, and so on. (Obviously, I wouldn't teach all those things myself, just the things I'm good at; I'd hire other people to teach the things I can't.) I can picture it being on wooded land, with a stream or by a lake, and with buildings that are solar- and wind-powered. Unfortunately, I can't afford this either. :unsure:

The learning center idea sounds more like a collective effort. You wouldn't be able to teach everything, or even most of it. You wouldn't be able to take care of the whole place yourself, you would need people to do that. What if you teamed up with other people who want the same thing? Then you could collectively raise the funds to do it. And run the place together, too. Maybe even build it together.

You wouldn't be working for other people, but with them, as an equal partner.

Your eleventh house placements--cusp in Pisces with Jupiter in Aries inside the eleventh--suggests that your friends, that is, the people who share your goals and can help you get where you're going, are Piscean types, ie mystics, alternative healers, and the like, possibly with an independent streak and need for challenges (Aries) and the ability to respect yours. If you collaborate with them on a learning center, you can all have what you want.

trickster

The learning center idea sounds more like a collective effort. You wouldn't be able to teach everything, or even most of it. You wouldn't be able to take care of the whole place yourself, you would need people to do that. What if you teamed up with other people who want the same thing? Then you could collectively raise the funds to do it. And run the place together, too. Maybe even build it together.

You wouldn't be working for other people, but with them, as an equal partner.

Your eleventh house placements--cusp in Pisces with Jupiter in Aries inside the eleventh--suggests that your friends, that is, the people who share your goals and can help you get where you're going, are Piscean types, ie mystics, alternative healers, and the like, possibly with an independent streak and need for challenges (Aries) and the ability to respect yours. If you collaborate with them on a learning center, you can all have what you want.

Thanks. :smile: There isn't anyone in my life who has similar goals at this time. Maybe they are people I'll meet later; this seems like a longer-term goal rather than something that could happen in a couple of months, so it's a possibility.

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks. :smile: There isn't anyone in my life who has similar goals at this time. Maybe they are people I'll meet later; this seems like a longer-term goal rather than something that could happen in a couple of months, so it's a possibility.

How have you learned alternative healing? You couldn't have done that all by yourself. Or is that something you still want to learn but haven't learned yet?

For the kinds of things you want to do, you need teachers to learn them, and usually fellow students. They would be people with similar goals to yours.

Who are these intuitives you mentioned who keep telling you that you're a natural healer? You met them somewhere. If you keep running into intuitives, you must be moving in circles with people who would have similar kinds of goals.

Last edited:

trickster

How have you learned alternative healing? You couldn't have done that all by yourself. Or is that something you still want to learn but haven't learned yet?

I haven't learned a specific modality yet. All I know is that most of my life, people I've just met have poured out their troubles to me: abortions, vicious child custody battles, serious illnesses, infidelity, financial problems, you name it. They feel better after talking to me. Intuitives of various types have said it's because I'm meant to be a healer, but I don't even know what kind I'm supposed to be. I would like to have some formal training before I risk opening up a learning center. I get the feeling that's a future kind of thing - which is great, as a long-term goal. But I need to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime, before the maintenance payments run out. Time is passing quickly, and I'll admit to being a bit scared.

JUPITERASC

I haven't learned a specific modality yet.
All I know is that most of my life, people I've just met have poured out their troubles to me:
abortions, vicious child custody battles, serious illnesses, infidelity, financial problems, you name it.
They feel better after talking to me.
If people feel better after talking to you
then consider earning money from spending time simply listening to people pouring out their troubles :smile:
seems you are 'a natural' however some formal training as a counsellor
would provide you with a certificate to show clients
Check out if there are any PSYCHOSYNTHESIS courses available locally

Intuitives of various types have said it's because I'm meant to be a healer,
but I don't even know what kind I'm supposed to be.
I would like to have some formal training
before I risk opening up a learning center.
I get the feeling that's a future kind of thing - which is great, as a long-term goal.
But I need to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime
before the maintenance payments run out.
Time is passing quickly, and I'll admit to being a bit scared.
Meanwhile, some discussion threads on:
ASTROLOGY FOR PAY - HOW TO DO IT http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92935
HOW TO GRADUATE FROM ASTROLOGY 101 http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57956

trickster

If people feel better after talking to you
then consider earning money from spending time simply listening to people pouring out their troubles :smile:
seems you are 'a natural' however some formal training as a counsellor
would provide you with a certificate to show clients
Check out if there are any PSYCHOSYNTHESIS courses available locally

Meanwhile, some discussion threads on:
ASTROLOGY FOR PAY - HOW TO DO IT http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92935
HOW TO GRADUATE FROM ASTROLOGY 101 http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57956

Wow, thank you! I've never run across the term "Psychosynthesis" before. It sounds fantastic, combining two of my deep interests, psychology and spirituality. I had no idea such a thing existed in Western culture. The discussions look very useful too! :happy::happy::happy:

Osamenor

Staff member
But I need to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime, before the maintenance payments run out. Time is passing quickly, and I'll admit to being a bit scared.

Do you know of any programs for displaced homemakers in your area? They might be available through a community college--focused on training former SAHMs who now need to get into the workforce due to the end of a marriage and helping them find jobs--or they might be through a vocational services program. In my area, there's Jewish Vocational Services (which serves everyone, not just Jews), which provides training on certain job skills and resume help and interviewing skills, that kind of thing.

If you prefer to be self employed and you have ideas for a business, that kind of program would help you flesh those ideas out and figure out how you could put them into practice. At least, it would if it's a good program.

trickster

Do you know of any programs for displaced homemakers in your area? They might be available through a community college--focused on training former SAHMs who now need to get into the workforce due to the end of a marriage and helping them find jobs--or they might be through a vocational services program. In my area, there's Jewish Vocational Services (which serves everyone, not just Jews), which provides training on certain job skills and resume help and interviewing skills, that kind of thing.

If you prefer to be self employed and you have ideas for a business, that kind of program would help you flesh those ideas out and figure out how you could put them into practice. At least, it would if it's a good program.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) The last time I checked with the local displaced homemaker program they didn't offer anything that interested me, and they didn't offer help to people starting their own businesses, but that was over a year ago so maybe things have changed. I can also check with the Small Business Administration.

I'm considering selling my art dolls and other crafts on Etsy again. The last time I did this was five or six years ago. Even though I sold almost everything I listed, my ex convinced me to stop selling and just make things as a hobby. A couple of years ago, a Shaman told me I'd never make a living at it - but then, he was convinced that I'm meant to be a healer, so he was really focused on that.

I think it's time for me to admit something to myself: I don't know if I want to be a healer. I've been going along with that idea because so many people have told me I should, or that it's who I really am... but I don't know if my heart is in it. If I do pursue it, it will be something like astrology or psychosynthesis (which still sounds amazing :) ), but my real love is for urban fantasy, gaming (tabletop RPGs), and the supernatural. If I could make a living in these areas, or in art, or all of the above - at least until I can train for something more practical and concrete - that would be amazing. The problem is, I've been tossing all this around in my mind for months, and I think my brain is numb. Is there anything in my chart that shows a possibility of making a living in the arts?

JUPITERASC

Wow, thank you! I've never run across the term "Psychosynthesis" before.

It sounds fantastic, combining two of my deep interests, psychology and spirituality.
I had no idea such a thing existed in Western culture.

The discussions look very useful too!
:happy::happy::happy:
Great - check out local GESTALT counselling and psychotherapy as well :smile:

The Gestalt theorists were the first group of psychologists
to systematcially study perceptual organisation around the 1920’s, in Germany.
They were Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Ernst Mach
and particularly of Christian von Ehrenfels and the research work of Max Wertheimer
Wolfgang Köhler, Kurt Koffka, and Kurt Lewin.

The coming to power of national socialism substantially interrupted
the fruitful scientific development of Gestalt theory in the German-speaking world;
Koffka, Wertheimer, Köhler and Lewin emigrated
or were forced to flee, to the United States where they continued to work
in spite of the dominant theoretical field for that time, of behaviourism.

QWNlmjvzoOi5gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

gestalt_laws_by_shortette-d3eps6i.jpg

gestalt-psychology-2-638.jpg

6.gif