Inferior / Superior conjunction - Is there an easy way to calculate?

AstroLogical

Need a little advise, please.
An old friend has been having issues with communication and thought processes. He ask me to look at his chart. As part of my exam I looked at his Sun, Merc. conj and began to wonder if Mercury is on this side of the Sun or the other and how either might play into his mental works.

Is there a chart, graph or simple method to calculate the inferior/superior question for either Mercury or Venus, for that matter?

Below is his info.

H.C. - October 31, 1950 8:09:00 PM PST San Rafael, California.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• HC.jpg
    HC.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 30

Krewster

Hi AL...

don't know about your question but nothing pops out from just looking at your friend's Merc aspects (or is this a more recent, transit-type issue for him, whereas he's usually been ok in that department...?

comdoc

An old friend has been having issues with communication and thought processes. He ask me to look at his chart. As part of my exam I looked at his Sun, Merc. conj and began to wonder if Mercury is on this side of the Sun or the other and how either might play into his mental works.

Is there a chart, graph or simple method to calculate the inferior/superior question for either Mercury or Venus, for that matter?

Below is his info.

Many Thanks

Yes. The simple answer is that superior conjunction occurs when Mercury is in direct motion (forward in the Zodiac), while inferior conjunction takes place when Mercury is retrograde in motion. Similarly for Venus. Here's a link from my mentor Michael Meyer's excellent site: :smile: Included are comprehensive interpretations of Promethean and Epimethean direct and retrograde Mercury.

http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/aspc/aspc_c8.shtml

comdoc

Below is his info.

Many Thanks

Yes. The simple answer is that superior conjunction occurs when Mercury is in direct motion (forward in the Zodiac), while inferior conjunction takes place when Mercury is retrograde in motion. Similarly for Venus. Here's a link from my mentor Michael Meyer's excellent site: :smile: Included are comprehensive interpretations of Promethean and Epimethean direct and retrograde Mercury.

Your friend was born at the superior conjunction of Mercury with the Sun. Here is Dane Rudhyar's interpretation.

The Epimethean-Direct mind is a "full" mind, by which I mean a mind which seeks to reflect objectively as much as it can of the meaning of life and events after these have occurred. It is the historical, objective mind, which reasons things out on the basis of precedents. It is often the most "successful," practically speaking — not running ahead of the self, or life, but running things and people. When Mercury's motion equals that of the Sun during the "waning" phase of the Mercury cycle, the greatest possible stress on mental objectivity is likely to be made; this is approximately the "Last Quarter" phase of Mercury — which leads to the Epimethean-retrograde period.

AstroLogical

Your friend was born at the superior conjunction of Mercury with the Sun. Here is Dane Rudhyar's interpretation.

The Epimethean-Direct mind is a "full" mind, by which I mean a mind which seeks to reflect objectively as much as it can of the meaning of life and events after these have occurred. It is the historical, objective mind, which reasons things out on the basis of precedents. It is often the most "successful," practically speaking — not running ahead of the self, or life, but running things and people. When Mercury's motion equals that of the Sun during the "waning" phase of the Mercury cycle, the greatest possible stress on mental objectivity is likely to be made; this is approximately the "Last Quarter" phase of Mercury — which leads to the Epimethean-retrograde period.

comdoc

Excellent! Many, many thanks! As soon as you mentioned the relationship to retrograde the picture in my mind became clear. I had made sense of this years ago but the old saying surely applies, "If you don't use it you loose it." As I re-entered the matter with my friends chart (posted) the Mercury/Sun relationship came to the forefront and conjured up the memory that I used to know this :) I also appreciate the delineation as well.

Now to make sense of the recent mental challenges that he has expressed... I hope it isn't medical!!! He does claim to be somewhat dyslexic. I would think dyslexia would more likely be associated with Mercury in Retrograde, in a more Inferior position. I wonder if any astrologers have done a clinical study on that...

Perhaps the Solar infusion of energy over amps Mercury to where it sort of skips, missing a connection now and then—sort of like the heart skipping a beat or neurons miss firing. In other words, where Mercury (in the Inferior relationship) is running behind and trying to catch up, this Superior relationship, within such a direct line between Sun and Earth, perhaps illustrates a "solar flair" concept where the Sun occasionally over powers little old Mercury with a raw yet unprocessed energy that the conscious mind can't process.

My friend is quite chatty (Gemini Asc) and discloses far more information than you would normally expect from a Scorpio. It's almost like he can't help himself once his mouth gets going. But he claims what concerns him now is his cognitive functions, not communication. Ha! Aren't they suppose to work together?

Anyway, I really do appreciate your weighing in on my post. It doesn't seem anyone else was willing, so I am grateful.

A*L

AstroLogical

Hi AL...

don't know about your question but nothing pops out from just looking at your friend's Merc aspects (or is this a more recent, transit-type issue for him, whereas he's usually been ok in that department...?

Hey! Mr. K

How have you been? I can't help but think of you every time I look at a minor aspect — you're absolutely haunting in that respect :wink:
I've been away for a while, working on music projects, etc. but every now and then I've got to have a fix of stardust... or so it seems.

Re: the chart... I've known this guy for over 32 years and he IS a character. I suspect he maybe killing off a few brain cells with his daily cocktail ritual... You know how those retired folks can get :wink:
That alone maybe at the root of his question. And yes, it does seem to be somewhat of a more current issue, of the last few years anyway. I only see him from time to time so I'm not up to speed on his current lifestyle.

Thanks for saying hello and looking at the chart. I hope all is well in your part of the world.

comdoc

comdoc

Excellent! Many, many thanks! As soon as you mentioned the relationship to retrograde the picture in my mind became clear. I had made sense of this years ago but the old saying surely applies, "If you don't use it you loose it." As I re-entered the matter with my friends chart (posted) the Mercury/Sun relationship came to the forefront and conjured up the memory that I used to know this :) I also appreciate the delineation as well.

Now to make sense of the recent mental challenges that he has expressed... I hope it isn't medical!!! He does claim to be somewhat dyslexic. I would think dyslexia would more likely be associated with Mercury in Retrograde, in a more Inferior position. I wonder if any astrologers have done a clinical study on that...

Perhaps the Solar infusion of energy over amps Mercury to where it sort of skips, missing a connection now and then—sort of like the heart skipping a beat or neurons miss firing. In other words, where Mercury (in the Inferior relationship) is running behind and trying to catch up, this Superior relationship, within such a direct line between Sun and Earth, perhaps illustrates a "solar flair" concept where the Sun occasionally over powers little old Mercury with a raw yet unprocessed energy that the conscious mind can't process.

My friend is quite chatty (Gemini Asc) and discloses far more information than you would normally expect from a Scorpio. It's almost like he can't help himself once his mouth gets going. But he claims what concerns him now is his cognitive functions, not communication. Ha! Aren't they suppose to work together?

Anyway, I really do appreciate your weighing in on my post. It doesn't seem anyone else was willing, so I am grateful.

A*L

You're most welcome! Yes, his Mercury is "combust", and behind the Sun. I notice that Mercury is the Ascendant ruler, and in close sextile to the Virgo IC (extreme subconscious hidden area)--so, obscure in that way, as well. Ideally, yes. However, cognition and expressive neural pathways are separate: one for input, and other for output of information.