Random Thoughts

david starling

Interesting result regarding Taurus in the 12/12 "Native-rulership" pattern I'm using: The Ascendant and the Age-indicator receive Native-ruler status, and rule Sagittarius and Taurus , respectively. In these two cases, the "Regulator" (which all Signs have) becomes especially important. For Sagittarius, the Regulator is Jupiter--nothing surprising there, but for Taurus, it's Ouranos!:)uranus:)

david starling

Remembering what you said about other placements that I happen to have, I have a really functional chart according to your system.

Sun in Sagittarius --"catalytic ability ". I'm still contemplating the full meaning of some of these terms. The Asc in Sagittarius is Domicled, a familiar concept, although very unconventional in this case. Jupiter in Sagittarius is about having a "Sense of Direction" in life.

david starling

I'm thinking it's not the same as in Trad, where the opposite Sign of the Exalted, is severely disabled. Too extreme, and simplistic in this pattern. [IMO]

petosiris

Banned
I'm thinking it's not the same as in Trad, where the opposite Sign of the Exalted, is severely disabled. Too extreme, and simplistic in this pattern. [IMO]

The opposite of the exaltation is depression. The Greek hypsoma imply literal latitude. Pliny and Valens treat those as literal latitude. Ptolemy appears to be the first source with a completely seasonal rationale, perhaps he was aware of some technical flaw in the epicyclic theory.

Another fragment from the Michigan papyrus:
''Still other ethereal constellations revolve in their own circles. The Sun is in apogee in Gemini; Venus is in perigee in Pisces and in apogee in Virgo; Jupiter is in apogee in Cancer and in perigee in Capricorn'' - see Michigan Papyri, Vol III, Papyri in the University of Michigan Collection, Miscellaneous Papyri, Ed. John Garret Winter, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1936. Translation by F.E. Robbins.

Note that there is some inconsistency with the epicyclic theory since the Sun has apogee in Gemini (and is changing but they did not know about that until the Middle Ages) from a geocentric perspective. Perhaps the Sun and the Moon exaltations are seasonal (in the Babylonian zodiac) while the others are related to stations, and as such were then integrated into the epicyclic theories by the Greeks.

If the other five planets exaltations are related to epicyclic perigree and apogee, they were not meant to be used in a tropical zodiac due to how revolutions work (they do not have precession as noted by Ptolemy in Almagest 9.6).

Last edited:

david starling

The opposite of the exaltation is depression. The Greek hypsoma imply literal latitude. Pliny and Valens treat those as literal latitude. Ptolemy appears to be the first source with a completely seasonal rationale, perhaps he was aware of some technical flaw in the epicyclic theory.

I was thinking more about exalted status in the Chart, giving it a sense of free-play. Maybe the opposite is "constrained".