Determining midpoints for composite aspects

UNOIT

Hi

I have created a javascript application for calculating midpoints and then interpreting the composite aspects. When I calculate the midpoint of 22 PIS 29m12s and 28 CAN 41m27s I get:

352.49 + 118.69 = 235.59 = Scoprio 25.59

However, three other sources indicate that it should be Taurus 25.59

According to cafeastrology:
""Because in this example the Sun and Moon are more than 180 degrees away when we travel through the zodiac in logical order, common practice is to convert the midpoint to 26 Gemini 53 (the opposite point of 26 Sagittarius 53), simply because it is the closer midpoint between the Sun and the Moon. This is not highly significant in midpoint work, simply because oppositions and conjunctions are not considered to be much different when we deal with midpoints."

I can see their logic - but it is certainly different than simply adding the two longitudes and dividing by 2. Also, when calculating Composite aspects I believe that oppositions and conjunctions are quite different.

I welcome any feedback.

TIA

rahu

Banned
there are two midpoint solutions for every calculation because you are dealing with a circle. technically one should say the near midpoint or the far midpoint. generally the near midpoints are use in a chart.

rahu

waybread

For anyone interested in midpoint (or Davison) composite charts, you can do them automatically at Astrodienst www.astro.com on their free charts pages. I think it's their Pullen section that also offers a page of midpoints in a single chart.

Otherwise midpoints can be calculated by hand. It's tedious, but just convert everything to its number out of 360, add the two planets' numbers, and divide by two. Convert that number back to its sign and degree.

For instance, 20 degrees Aries= 20. 4 degrees Leo= 124. 144/2= 72=12 degrees Gemini.

Rahu is correct that every planetary pair has a near and far midpoint. Usually the near one is used. In the above example, the far midpoint would be 12 degrees Sagittarius.