To those who have been severely depressed

tee_jay66

Interesting thread...............

I have had depression since i was very young and severe mental challenges. Finally after many many psychiatrists I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder

Apparently its quite common and occurs in different forms though there is not cure or medication that helps

Ive been on a waiting list for therapy for 18 months and still waiting!!!

retinoid

I have had depression since i was very young and severe mental challenges. Finally after many many psychiatrists I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder

Apparently its quite common and occurs in different forms though there is not cure or medication that helps

There are drugs that can help borderline personality disorder. Depending how yours appears (anxiety/depression/anger/etc.)...Like you shouldn't be taking antipsychotics if you are very depressed and anxious. Omega 3 (high doses) helps in cases of depression. May be worth a try while waiting for therapy :)...

JUPITERASC

Published on 15 Aug 2012

"....Is there a definitive line that divides crazy from sane? With a hair-raising delivery, Jon Ronson, author of The Psychopath Test, illuminates the gray areas between the two. (With live-mixed sound by Julian Treasure and animation by Evan Grant.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYemnKEKx0c

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of best talks/performances fromTED Conference, where world's leading thinkers/doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). TED means Technology, Entertainment, Design. TEDTalks also cover science, business, global issues, the arts. Find closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages at http://www.ted.com/translate ...." :smile:

knowhow999

I am currently experiencing depression due to the loss of my best friend who died in a fire with his oldest child. Grief causing depression and withdrawal from the world. Having experienced long term depression in the past, I have found the only ways out have to do with other people's support and turning toward Love and Light (IE the DIVINE in other people).
Time also seems to be part of the healing equation. Time allows us to realize that we can indeed have a life after a great loss but this requires patience and healing. Also I experience grief depression in periods of waves that seem to wash over me.
At times I try and run away from the pain of depression to no avail. It seems to work better if I run into the pain and not be afraid of experiencing it.
Also, having been an RN for more than 40 years, I must admit that sometimes the chemical processes require support in terms of drug therapy. The important thing to remember is that drug therapy must be accompanied by face to face personal therapy in order to really work.
The problem right now in America is that the health system is collapsing upon itself in the face of corporate greed and governmental insensitivity to the needs of the most vulnerable among us.
I am seeing more severely depressed people looking for help from the health industry than ever before and the health system is not really recognizing their needs. Let alone attempting to assist them.
Without the help for mental illnesses, I fear American will face many more outbreaks of violence and chaotic human behaviors.:sad:

Neptune Rising

For me, some of my hardest times have involved Chiron transits with Neptune to Sun/Moon transits. I already have strong Neptune influences in my chart, with the positives and negatives. In relation to the first post, I haven't been depressed for years. But, I've had dips of despair during transits mentioned above. When I was in my early 20s, I was going through a Neptune and Uranus in conjunct to my natal Sun. Not sure why I bring it towards astrology, but there ya go. I did try to take my life a few times, I was also in a very abusive relationship. Now I'm a fair bit older but undergoing various hard transits including Neptune to progressed Sun/Moon, and feeling totally lost due to various things happening in my close family. I contemplate disappearing, I guess that is part of the Neptune influence, including Pluto. I am also not one for therapy, talking to a stranger no matter how qualified (unless they are an astrologer, tarot reader or spiritual healer :p) But I know I won't do as I did before because I have learned through that, that there is a place beyond the suffering in this life, once we go through the suffering, let it happen. Now, when I am in pain, I don't suppress it, I allow myself to cry, to release whatever it is that is stuck inside. In the situation, it seems black and white, but there is an alternative, if it is just allowed to happen.

That's that I've learned, my lesson, anyhow.

astrology02

I have always suffered from mild depression/ negative thinking. It is not about normal stuff though, I am constantly worried about terrorism, natural disasters, dying, my family dying. It just puts me in a panic which turns into depression. I blame my 12th house saturn for these irrational fears. It probably doesn't help that saturn is retrograde too. :(

About 2 years ago transiting saturn made a square to my ascendant in capricorn ...after that I began feeling severely depressed to the point that I didn't get out of bed or eat. Did anyone else experience the saturn square ascendant transit? The blessing was though that during my hard time with this transit, my family was really there for me and we became a lot closer. I do think hard saturn transits have a way of putting you through hell, but teaching you a valuable lesson in the process.

tee_jay66

I am currently experiencing depression due to the loss of my best friend who died in a fire with his oldest child. Grief causing depression and withdrawal from the world. Having experienced long term depression in the past, I have found the only ways out have to do with other people's support and turning toward Love and Light (IE the DIVINE in other people).
Time also seems to be part of the healing equation. Time allows us to realize that we can indeed have a life after a great loss but this requires patience and healing. Also I experience grief depression in periods of waves that seem to wash over me.
At times I try and run away from the pain of depression to no avail. It seems to work better if I run into the pain and not be afraid of experiencing it.
Also, having been an RN for more than 40 years, I must admit that sometimes the chemical processes require support in terms of drug therapy. The important thing to remember is that drug therapy must be accompanied by face to face personal therapy in order to really work.
The problem right now in America is that the health system is collapsing upon itself in the face of corporate greed and governmental insensitivity to the needs of the most vulnerable among us.
I am seeing more severely depressed people looking for help from the health industry than ever before and the health system is not really recognizing their needs. Let alone attempting to assist them.
Without the help for mental illnesses, I fear American will face many more outbreaks of violence and chaotic human behaviors.:sad:

Firstly I am so sorry to hear of your grief and the fact that your friend died in terrible circumstances. Unfortunately it is only time....and lots of time that starts to distance us from the pain. My heart goes out to you

I also wanted to ask about mental health aid in America. Im in GB and always read american self help books. They all state that americans should choose their therapy carefully. I thought it wa a lot easier there because you pay insurance for medical help...then surely you choose your help when you need it? Am I wrong...does insurance not cover options?

Ialways felt that we brits have a raw deal with the nhs because it is free therefore we do not have any say or option what help we receive and often on waiting lists for years until we see some therapist that we end up not liking anyway...but the bad thing is we have no choice, its either that therapy or nothing.

I really thought americans could choose with care. The american self-help books seem to state..to choose your therapist with care and if you dont like them choose another??