Pluto Sextile Neptune

I'm wondering if anyone knows why this relationship is considered rare? Does this aspect not occur often?

On skyviewzone.com it says, "This would be a rare relationship promising a synthesis between romantic partners which could harness your creative imagination and the power of dreams. Use them in visualizations which provide an opportunity to purge self destructive habits and feelings."

Hi, I'm not sure who moved this, but I asked under relational astrology because Pluto Sextile Neptune is an aspect between someone else and me. And I was just reading about our aspects and was curious why this one was considered rare. But thank you for answering.

fushiafairy

This isn't that rare I would think, depending on the orb you use in synastry. There were many years in the 70s with neptune sextile pluto.

bittermoon

Pluto sextile Neptune in synastry is not rare at all. Both are slow moving planets. I have this aspect in my natal chart and so do a few people I dated because we are around the same age.

waybread

Pluto sextile Neptune is in fact very common as a generational aspect: it persisted for years among the boomers and post-boomers. So they would have this aspect with anyone born around their birth year.

waybread

Fair enough Ray, but some of us consider aspects to hold regardless of whether they are applying or separating in terms of which planet gets listed first.

RayAustin

Fair enough Ray, but some of us consider aspects to hold regardless of whether they are applying or separating in terms of which planet gets listed first.

Of course the aspect still holds. What I said had nothing to do with the aspect's meaning.

It's just the proper astrological syntax. I see that on the boards a lot .. slower planets can't square/trine/conjunct whatever a planet faster than it. I think that's a very important thing to learn and also acknowledge by the way you speak about an aspect; also, some people don't know this, which is also why I mention it.

r.a.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
it depends on how you look at the chart, to Ray

Ray,

You said:
...slower planets can't square/trine/conjunct whatever a planet faster than it. I think that's a very important thing to learn and also acknowledge by the way you speak about an aspect; also, some people don't know this, which is also why I mention it.

This is an interesting and important point, and also shows a difference in style of astrological interpretation. For some, the birth chart is a MOVING chart, so all the planets are moving in the chart and knowing which planets are faster or slower than the others determines the strength of the aspects. For others, the birth chart is a FIXED chart, so all the planets in the chart are fixed in place at birth and all that matters is what the orb of each planet is (how close the planets have to be in order to be considered in aspect to each other).

Personally, I think of the birth chart as fixed, and only use the applying (planets moving towards) and separating (planets moving away) in terms of transits and progressions.

About the two views,

Tim

RayAustin

Re: it depends on how you look at the chart, to Ray

Hi Tim,
Whether someone considers a natal chart fixed, or moving is irrelevant to the point I'm making actually. This does not change the fact that a slower planet cannot make an aspect to a faster one. That's astrological fact (and I don't use that word often when speaking about astrology). That's specifically why, personally, I wouldn't speak of an aspect otherwise--because then why would I agree with something that isn't true? Uranus square Jupiter? Impossible.

A personal view about the chart can't change it. In other words.. there's really no way that saying Pluto sextile Neptune isn't incorrect in syntax unless we're talking about transiting Pluto aspecting a natal planet; because what it implies is impossible. Whether someone ignores or doesn't acknowledge that is their choice.

Some might not see the importance in this, but I really do, it is extremely like the syntax of a formula in algebra. Re-ordering x and y gives a totally different output!

This is something that gets overlooked grossly.
Again, I mainly say this for the people who don't know better or would like to know such a thing and speak more eloquently about astrology.

R.a.

Last edited:

waybread

Of course the aspect still holds. What I said had nothing to do with the aspect's meaning.

It's just the proper astrological syntax.
r.a.

This was my point, Ray. To me, it is just a question of syntax. Nothing more. I've not seen it make any difference to chart interpretation. I don't do horary, BTW.

Last edited:

waybread

I spent a little time studying horary, Ray. My reasons for declining it are fourfold:

(1) I am not active in any particular denomination now, but I nevertheless believe from my residue of spirituality that the fortune-telling types of astrology have the inherent danger of turning people away from faith in God (or the universe, for atheists) to support them. This is a huge issue, often trivialized by both evangelical Christians as well as some astrologers who critique them. At difficult moments in life, an abiding faith in one's Creator will carry one much further than reliance on horary astrology. I note that the Bible does not condemn character analysis from natal chart interpretation, which is the type of astrology I focus on.
(2) It has taken me a long time to feel I've gained any kind of mastery in modern astrology. I would rather do one sort of astrology well than multiple types badly.
(3) I do not wish to respond to most of the types of horary questions that I see in Internet forums. These range from a distraught mother wondering if her missing child is still alive to the most trivial of questions written by women who seem to prefer horary to getting a grip on their lives. People who do horary are often inundated with such requests. To me, these are misuses of astrology.
(4) After having read Geoffrey Cornelius, The Moment of Astrology, cover to cover, and William Lilly in bits and pieces, I still do not see the basis for horary working, beyond those individuals for whom studying astrological symbols awakens a kind of psychic ability that I do not claim.

So in my universe, Pluto sextiles Neptune just as much as Neptune sextiles Pluto. Either way works for me.

RayAustin

Hi WB,
I note that the Bible does not condemn character analysis from natal chart interpretation, which is the type of astrology I focus on.
Really? Well I don't really believe much in the bible anyway. :lol:

(2) It has taken me a long time to feel I've gained any kind of mastery in modern astrology. I would rather do one sort of astrology well than multiple types badly.
I think it might have to do with your worldview of astrology more than anything. You are most likely uncomfortable becoming adept at a school that relies on traditional astrology.

(3) I do not wish to respond to most of the types of horary questions that I see in Internet forums. These range from a distraught mother wondering if her missing child is still alive to the most trivial of questions written by women who seem to prefer horary to getting a grip on their lives. People who do horary are often inundated with such requests. To me, these are misuses of astrology.
True .. but any kind of astrology can be misused. And in a more stricter forum that wouldn't even be an issue. Personally I think that's a moot point; how casual users practice over the internet shouldn't speak for professionals and dedicated students.

(4) After having read Geoffrey Cornelius, The Moment of Astrology, cover to cover, and William Lilly in bits and pieces, I still do not see the basis for horary working, beyond those individuals for whom studying astrological symbols awakens a kind of psychic ability that I do not claim.
That's interesting, are you otherwise implying you believe that people who practice horary are also using psychic talent?

So in my universe, Pluto sextiles Neptune just as much as Neptune sextiles Pluto. Either way works for me.
Personally I'd prefer to practice astrology in a more objective universe.

R.a.

Hi Ray,

I think you are missing the whole point of this post which is a question about an aspect, and others that can relate to it or have an opinion. I understand you probably know a lot about astrology and more so than some on here. But, I feel that you're looking for an outlet to pick apart the responses of others (because you feel you know more, OR your answer IS the correct one) to gain the attention or the "oooo's and ahhh's" you probably haven't heard from anyone else when you try to impress them with your knowledge about astrology.

If you have anything meaningful to say, I'd like to hear. But if you're going to be critical of the people that graciously respond to help me, you're response will not be needed, and maybe you can find a chat room to argue with someone.

Thanks