The book of revelation

petosiris

Banned
If you've read it, just tell us what it tells us.

It is our Firmicus Maternus repenting for his days of occultism, paganism and astrology, and showing the futility of idol worship and the mysteries he was familiar with. Blessed be the name of the Lord, at some point Firmicus converted to Christianity.

JUPITERASC

Carlin suggested

taking down all those highly placed crosses to encourage a Second Coming. That instrument of torture isn't a welcome mat! Even wearing one shows blatant callousness toward what He was forced to endure in order to fulfil his role as Scapegoat. Celebrate His life and teachings, not His death.
Carlin was an American stand-up comedian, actor, author, and social critic :smile:

known for his black comedy
and reflections on various taboo subjects.

born 1937 died 2008

Carlin and his "seven dirty words" comedy routine were central to the
1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation
in which a 5–4 decision affirmed the government's power
to regulate indecent material on the public airwaves.

one of the most important and influential stand-up comics of all time
Carlin was dubbed by one newspaper to be
"the dean of counterculture comedians".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin

Carlin "RELIGION IS Bulls**t
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

George Carlin - AMERICAN BULL**T IS THE GLUE THAT HOLDS US TOGETHER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo-QIY7ys-k

Cold Fusion

How bad are things going to get, according to Revelation?
They're going to get SO bad, the Believers will be evacuated, leaving all the non-Believers to suffer. That just seems somehow "unChristian".

They do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with wanting non-Christians to suffer.

waybread

Do you really not see the allusion of the distressed with Christ? All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned - everyone - to his own way, while the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

What I see is far too many self-proclaimed Christians ignoring the most basic teachings of Jesus: to assist and comfort the most vulnerable members of society. These vulnerable people may well be the strangers in your midst, not Christians who think just like you. (Mathew 25:35, Hebrews 13:1-2.)

When Jesus said to love and pray for your enemies, he didn't meant that your enemies are your neighbours. Are you really saying that there is no distinction between two brothers in fellowship compared to the relationship of a Christian and an Islamist Taliban? The minorities in the hostile places of the Middle East would do everything to live as neighbours with the Muslims who are sinning by murdering and raping. If people in those regions engage in self-defense, they would not have sin (since self-defense is not contrary to the golden rule), but if they desire to be perfect - by being peacekeepers and blessing their persecutors, they would put burning coals on the Taliban. See Romans 12.

I said nothing about the Taliban, so no, I "am not saying" that.

Jesus said to love your enemies. I didn't make this up. I merely quoted it for you. Matthew 5:44. Even tax collectors love those who love them. Christians are held to a higher standard.

Jesus also said, "Do not resist the evil person. if someone hits you on the cheek, offer him your other cheek, as well. (Mathew 5:39) [As a political strategy this is known as passive resistance.]

I assume that we are reading the same Romans 12.

12:14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."

12: "17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil."

12: 20-21 "'If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

The burning coals bit sounds nasty, but obviously it is metaphorical, repeating Proverbs 25: 21-22. It indicates that through kind treatment, one's enemy will become deeply ashamed of his past conduct, and his better instincts will be rekindled. Think of a fire that has nearly gone out, that can be brought back to a warming blaze. The fire is the enemy's conscience.

http://www.egrc.net/articles/Rock/Puzzling_Passages/BurningCoals.html

Petosiris, is Christian love for humanity, with all of its imperfections, such a difficult concept for you?

petosiris

Banned
What I see is far too many self-proclaimed Christians ignoring the most basic teachings of Jesus: to assist and comfort the most vulnerable members of society. These vulnerable people may well be the strangers in your midst, not Christians who think just like you. (Mathew 25:35, Hebrews 13:1-2.)

I said nothing about the Taliban, so no, I "am not saying" that.

Jesus said to love your enemies. I didn't make this up. I merely quoted it for you. Matthew 5:44. Even tax collectors love those who love them. Christians are held to a higher standard.

Jesus also said, "Do not resist the evil person. if someone hits you on the cheek, offer him your other cheek, as well. (Mathew 5:39) [As a political strategy this is known as passive resistance.]

I assume that we are reading the same Romans 12.

12:14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."

12: "17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil."

12: 20-21 "'If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

The burning coals bit sounds nasty, but obviously it is metaphorical, repeating Proverbs 25: 21-22. It indicates that through kind treatment, one's enemy will become deeply ashamed of his past conduct, and his better instincts will be rekindled. Think of a fire that has nearly gone out, that can be brought back to a warming blaze. The fire is the enemy's conscience.

http://www.egrc.net/articles/Rock/Puzzling_Passages/BurningCoals.html

Petosiris, is Christian love for humanity, with all of its imperfections, such a difficult concept for you?

Thank you for explaining it for me, and for the information. God bless us with wisdom, and understanding and peace between each other. Amen.

JOHN60

How bad are things going to get, according to Revelation?
They're going to get SO bad, the Believers will be evacuated, leaving all the non-Believers to suffer. That just seems somehow "unChristian".

The first chapter of Revelation deals with John's visions, chapters 2/3 cover the church age, which is now coming to an end, this will happen in the Rapture when Jesus takes his bride the church up. The rest of the book deals with the Tribulation period which begins after the church is Raptured. In the first 31/2 years of this 7 year period, Moses & Elijah come down to preach to Israel, from this 144,000 christian evangelists come out of Israel and go around the world. The two prophets announce each of the trumpet judgements just before they happen. When Satan is evicted by michael the archangel and heavens forces from the first heaven ( the upper atmosphere), mid Tribulation, he then kills the two prophets, who ascend to Heaven after 3 days, along with the 144,000.The second half of the Tribulation is when those new christians and Jews are made to suffer from Satan's anger, and many will be martyred during this period, where the vile judgements will be given, many others will take the Mark Of The Beast in order to stay economically active & alive.This all leads to the end of the 7 year Tribulation period and Armageddon and the second coming.
That's why it is important to become a christian, as they will be taken up in the Rapture, many through what they see will become christians in the Tribulation period, but it will be harder for them as the restraining force of the church will have gone, so they will most likely be martyred, but more importantly saved.
From the Bayside prophesies, i believe both the 3 day nuclear war which the anti-christ promotes and millions will die in and the comet strike which centres on New York killing millions will probably happen in the first half of the Tribulation period.
So i would say to the unbelievers watch out for the 2 prophesies mentioned in my intro, The worldwide Warning and the attempted attack on Israel which come before the Rapture.
As mentioned in my intro Satan & his demons hate the human race, having rebelled after God created Adam in his own image, so the only satisfaction he can obtain is to see as many human souls as possible go down with him.
When the visionary Veronica was shown hell, it was full of the cries of human souls "if only i had known", "give me another chance" etc and the hideous laughter of the demons as they had got them where they wanted them. It is said that he has souls tortured for fun as they are now his.

Last edited:

waybread

Or, we could recognize that the imagines in Revelation are clear identifiable with constellations. This doesn't mean there is no religious significance, but the astronomical allusions are pretty clear.

If you sit down with Revelation, a field guide or two to backyard astronomy, and perhaps a history of astronomy book like Allen's Star Lore, you'll see what I mean.