Testing the ascendent with transits

byjove

Account Closed
Happy Halloween everyone!

I just wanted to ask, is it a valid attempt to test the ascendent via important transits? I noticed with the sun having entered Scorpio that it will be making some very strong aspects over the next month in my chart, and should have squared my ascendent a few days ago. Is this a reliable test? Has anyone here done this? Are solar transits strong enough, given the swiftness of the sun?

Jovially,

By Jove

astropsychologist

Hi byjove!

Yeah I find the faster moving planets are better for testing the Asc than the slower ones as you can pinpoint their effect to that exact day (and corresponding degree), but the influence of the slower ones can last months so are less accurate.

I find Mars, Mercury and Venus and the best to use. For example, when Mars crossed my aries asc, I burned my scalp! Usually ppl have accidents, arguments or have lots more energy on those days. With Venus, we feel more attractive than usual, more indulgent or more social. And with Mercury, the phone may be ringing off the hook all day or you're busier than normal.

It's also good to check these transits to the MC/IC axis and you'll see similar effects either at home, with family or at work, for example I had an arguement with my grandmother when Mars hit my IC and I redecorated my home when Venus transited there!

byjove

Account Closed
Hey!

Thanks for your reply. Wow, so the swiftner planets are better for that.
Well I read recently a lady talking about her son's natal 12th Mars, and how she understood it as it crossed from her 12th into her 1st. But Mars has supposedly just done this in my chart in the last week. But I can't identify. I'm using a hospital-written birth time of 12.04pm. Though my mother's suggestion was 5-6pm, and my aunt says the hospital time isn't
correct. She took my mother to the hospital. Oh ooooo. How to fix this.

So Mars crossing a Cancer Ascendent of 27degrees, what should I have been looking out for? I had a big arguement with my sister *roughly* a
week ago...is that really enough? It would have also been exactly trine
my natal Mercury conjunct MC in Pisces so I expect it should have been
felt. Hmm...

Thanks again, by the way.

By Jove

Last edited:

starlink

Hello byJove, I would not test situations only by looking at a swift transit over the Ascendant. You have to look at many things at the same time. Mars over the Asc. can temporarily give you more power, make you more aggressive, all depending on what other aspects are made to the Ascendant and your own mars in the chart.

Certainly the Sun wont do anything much. Maybe a nice day or so, also depending on how the Sun aspects other planets when transiting.
It is the heavy transits and the SA directions which can show real things happening.
But they all have to work together. Just one SA on it's own, wont be really noticeable. There is this "rule of three" in astrology. One aspect is a chance, 2 aspects a possibility and 3 aspects , all showing the same sort of energy, means a certainty.

What is good to do is create a diary. Just jot down what sort of transit on which day will go over your Ascendant and see what happens to you during that day(s). Or do it the other way around. Write down what happened you during one month, in short, every day, then look if those occurrences coincide with one of the transits.

starlink

[QUOTE by Olivia]
if Mars is within 3 degrees of a square, did you have an accident or get a serious illness with a high fever when you were three years of age?

[/QUOTE]

This is a Solar Arc direction you mention here, and this should also be backed up by progressions and transits or other SA directions I think.
ByJove is, I thought, just thinking of daily events, isn't it?

astropsychologist

Oh wow, that's cool that you're in Ireland, there aren't many of us here!

My experience of hospital birth records in Ireland is that they are not at all reliable! It's only in recent years that they have been recording the time of birth. My mother knew mine roughly within 20mins, so I wrote to the hospital hoping to get an exact minute and the time they gave me was about 6 hours out! And all of my family knew it was totally wrong!

A hint for figuring out your rising is to ask your friends to describe you, sometimes we dont recognise our ascendent in ourselves, it can be so spontaneous that we don't realise the kind of energy we emit.

Another thing I found very helpful for figuring out the time of birth was this youtube video , check it out and see what you think...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0G2S2Ti4I&feature=related

byjove

Account Closed
Well hi again all,

Yes, I expected that verifying the ASC would require some heavy duty study, not a half-attempt. I'll keep note of that then.

I sat in bed last night and thought about everything family said about my time of birth and thought that the time given by the hospital couldn't be right. So I sat down today with them and re-worked it all in my head, and they say I couldn't have been born at the hospital-given time, it must have been roughly an hour later......... another hospital calamity?

And astropsych. above me, I'm so glad you also have some info. on hospital-given times in Ireland. I've read so much about different practices around the world and am glad to get some confirmation.

For the purposes of this specific thread, I'll take into account the good advice on doubling or tripling events/aspects to verify. Nice rule of 3 by the way!

By Jove

Most noticeably T mars will produce energy basically, action, lots of running about whether it aspects or triggers anything natally or not. T Mercury will be about communications, lots of fone calls, letters, emails, short distance trips and I find just these two alone are pretty reliable for rectification purposes. Same goes for these 2 over MC --- it will be noticeable

T sun, moon are negliable in thier effects, but from merc, venus and mars, they are noticeable over the Angles-- so go for it. Make diary notes, that argument with your sister sounds quite like T mars :)

astropsychologist

Another few tips I thought of for rectification are....1)What do you spend your money on? This might be a hint as to what signs/planets are in the 2nd house. 2) What books do u read? This could show which house Mercury is in, e.g. 8th=horror/detective/psychological, 12=spiritual, 5=romance, 6=DIY etc. 3) And also looking at the progressed moon is a good way of rectifying the chart, there is often a very obvious shift in focus as it moved through the houses, roughly every 2 years.

byjove

Account Closed
Some very good advice in here, I can see that a few of those suggestions will work. I'll monitor those particular transits then. Actually, I've another event to add to the list...

On Halloween night, something happened. Nothing spooky now, but from the perspective of rectifying the chart (I'm thinking it's within 30 mins from 12.45 - 13.15). By adjusting the time to 12.58pm Mars is transiting the ASC by conjunction natal Pluto in the 4th, which was conjunct TR Sun conjunct Mercury. Also, TR Moon in Aries trine TR Mars conjunct ASC.

I adjusted my birth time by about 12 mins to make Mars TR conjunct the ASC because I think his square natal Pluto in the 4th represented what happened that evening. Can you interpret what happened? If this adjustment doesn't match the huge event that took place that night, then I know I should keep adjusting the time.

Last edited:
Some very good advice in here, I can see that a few of those suggestions will work. I'll monitor those particular transits then. Actually, I've another event to add to the list...

On Halloween night, something happened. Nothing spooky now, but from the perspective of rectifying the chart (I'm thinking it's within 30 mins from 12.45 - 13.15). By adjusting the time to 12.58pm Mars is transiting the ASC by conjunction natal Pluto in the 4th, which was conjunct TR Sun conjunct Mercury. Also, TR Moon in Aries trine TR Mars conjunct ASC.

I adjusted my birth time by about 12 mins to make Mars TR conjunct the ASC because I think his square natal Pluto in the 4th represented what happened that evening. Can you interpret what happened? If this adjustment doesn't match the huge event that took place that night, then I know I should keep adjusting the time.

without you giving more details as to what happend its difficult. Mars conj Asc = energy, action, fire, impulsiveness. The square to pluto is = strong ego energy, quite sexual, wanting control in home roots, worst case scenario --- violence :whistling:

Better still - what happened when you were three? If that's your chart then Mars is squaring the ascendant and just about perfectly three degrees out.

Serious fever, accident - maybe when you were with a friend (Mars in 11), anything like that come to mind?

The chart in post 13 shows a sextile to Asc not a square, which chart are you looking at to get a square? :whistling:

starlink

OK byJove, another SA direction i can see: SA Jupiter will conjunct MC in 4° so you must have been around 4 years old. Jupiter rules your intercepted 5th. house. SA Sun trined your Uranus who also is found in your 5th. Maybe this triggers some memories? First big long distance trip/vacation maybe? Anyways, something that impressed you. Could also be a relocation with Jupiter conjunct MC and Sun trine Uranus of course.

byjove

Account Closed
OK byJove, another SA direction i can see: SA Jupiter will conjunct MC in 4° so you must have been around 4 years old. Jupiter rules your intercepted 5th. house. SA Sun trined your Uranus who also is found in your 5th. Maybe this triggers some memories? First big long distance trip/vacation maybe? Anyways, something that impressed you. Could also be a relocation with Jupiter conjunct MC and Sun trine Uranus of course.

Yikes, it's getting complicated quickly. Just to recap, my hospital given time is 12.04pm but I considered the order of events of my birth that my mother told me and also discussed it with her again, and she's not totally sure but from what I calculate, I could have been born as much as an hour later. Also, another Irish astrologer who posted above informed me that up until recently, Irish hospitals weren't at all reliable regarding times of birth, and were very off in her case.So I'm hesitant to lean on any one time too heavily just yet. :sideways:

I did have a major accident when I was very young (I'll have to investigate exact age) where I...so embarrassing now...I was playing upstairs alone when I was about 3/4/5 and decided to play on the window ledge and ... fell out the window (again UPSTAIRS in the house) ... there was blood everywhere when I hit the concrete below...the hospital said I jammed some teeth into my gums, which they successfully fixed, I only chipped a tooth and amazingly broke no bones - being so young, all the bones were still not yet connected...why didn't I think before that this could be a crucial SA hint?????

Halloween....I had the worst argument of my life with my mother. A lot of horrible things said.

Finally, while whatever chart I play with, Venus and Mercury remain in the 9th house, which I completely and totally identify with, a crucial difference between the times is:

- Mercury exactly conjunct Pisces MC, exactly trine Cancer AC
(hospital time)
- Jupiter conjunct Aries MC trine Leo AC (speculative time)

I'm afraid that there are just a couple of things which I think are so close to home that it's difficult to tell what's me. You try asking a cat, "What's it like being a cat?" and I'm sure the cat will say "like a cat, I don't know!" so I just don't know which is me. Any enlightenment?

By Jove

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

The best way to calculate the Ascendant is by using the potential linking elements contained in the usage of the Lot of Fortune, the Lot of Spirit, the Lot of Basis, the Exaltation and Acquisition. From these things and the Ascendant, all things are known, for they are the most ancient tools which were known by divine men.

Can you please expand upon this method, Joseph?

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

I was about to create a new thread about this topic, but miracle of miracles, my Aries stellium remembered to utilize the search feature! :lol:

This question primarily has to do with the orbs of planets transiting the angles. I experienced a revelation of sorts today regarding how I should spend my time over winter break, and I was wondering if this revelation may correspond with the Sun's transit over my MC. The implementation of this idea would require me to assume a fairly large leadership role, and if it works, it may be made known publically within my town. This sounds like the domain of the MC and the tenth house, does it not?

I became excited when I discovered that Sun is currently at 29 Sagittarius 6' 40", which is a possible degree of my MC. However, my hopes of rectifying my natal chart fell when I thought to myself, what if there is an orb of influence with this transit? Has this been true in your experience, or do events such as these typically manifest when the transit is exact?

Thank you.

Arian Maverick

byjove

Account Closed
I noticed only a few months ago that D-Day was when the aspects were exact, though, the approach is usually visible in your life, things are clearly headed that way, decision are made for you etc.

I was about to create a new thread about this topic, but miracle of miracles, my Aries stellium remembered to utilize the search feature! :lol:

This question primarily has to do with the orbs of planets transiting the angles. I experienced a revelation of sorts today regarding how I should spend my time over winter break, and I was wondering if this revelation may correspond with the Sun's transit over my MC. The implementation of this idea would require me to assume a fairly large leadership role, and if it works, it may be made known publically within my town. This sounds like the domain of the MC and the tenth house, does it not?

I became excited when I discovered that Sun is currently at 29 Sagittarius 6' 40", which is a possible degree of my MC. However, my hopes of rectifying my natal chart fell when I thought to myself, what if there is an orb of influence with this transit? Has this been true in your experience, or do events such as these typically manifest when the transit is exact?

Thank you.

Arian Maverick

With the fast moving planets like the sun I would suggest it be 'exact'. Anything upto mars I would suggest needs to be exact. Now with the outer planets, for timing of events, I find it's usually the 'retrograde hit' or even the last direct hit when outer events seem to get triggered with MC and Asc..

Arian Maverick

Thank you both for responding so quickly! :love:

With the fast moving planets like the sun I would suggest it be 'exact'. Anything upto mars I would suggest needs to be exact. Now with the outer planets, for timing of events, I find it's usually the 'retrograde hit' or even the last direct hit when outer events seem to get triggered with MC and Asc..

I know observation is the best indicator, but I intuitively feel this is correct. I've been languid for a few days now--including today, up until the moment when my mind was triggered. There's no other word to describe my experience, except that I received a flash of Uranian intuition; a fully-formed plan simply fell within my lap, and I scrambled to record the details. I must check my transits and progressions to see if Uranus is indeed involved, but my immediate thought upon receiving this information was that the transiting Sun hit the four angles of my chart simultaneously. Does this sound reasonable, or am I attempting to convince myself yet again that I have mutable angles? :innocent:

I've also received all sorts of tantalizing ideas regarding past lives that make sense, although no images have come forth from my subconscious mind. This feels more like a Neptunian event than a solar event, but the Sun represents illumination, and it may be squaring a late Pisces Ascendant.

This brings me to yet another question, typical from one with the Moon conjunct the Ascendant: Is it valid in certain circumstances to use feelings to rectify one's natal chart?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

astropsychologist

Hey Arian Maverick!

Yeah I would take transits of the Sun, Merc, Venus and Mars to be exact. Not too sure about the moon though...I mean I can feel my mood change as it moves over the planets, but how would it feel going over the angles? I can feel the moon move from the 12th into the 1st....but find its a gradual feeling, nothing I could pinpoint to an exact hour of the day, so not sure about that one.