A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

david starling

Well, I ended up right beside Ghandi. I always liked him. 😄

I was just left of center, midrange libertarian. Far-right libertarians generally won't admit there's such a thing as left-leaning libertarians. The political Party known as "Libertarian" has co-opted the term since 1971, and isn't the only version.

CapAquaPis

I was just left of center, midrange libertarian. Far-right libertarians generally won't admit there's such a thing as left-leaning libertarians. The political Party known as "Libertarian" has co-opted the term since 1971, and isn't the only version.

Barry Goldwater, the founder of Libertarianism in the 1960s-70s was a staunch opponent of integration and civil rights laws, but he reminds business owners not to discriminate, because it's a terrible way to conduct business and in the capitalist economy, if you can't make money properly, it's your loss when you drive away potential customers with money because of their trivial differences, and you're free to do so at your own risk, however it's an immoral and unethical act onto people.

CapAquaPis

2thv6a.jpg

I saw the C-Span footage when he made those comments, he was referring to the Indian-American constituency, including his home state Delaware. He was muttering facts that appear to be stereotypical, but there's a grain of truth of a large percentage of such business niches (esp. in certain parts of the USA) are owned by Indians. And Joe Biden was often questioned about his segregationist past 50 years ago when he belonged to an anti school busing group, he said he was wrong and once believed "it wouldn't work", not because he hated blacks (esp. in the Southern states) or sometimes, Hispanics (pertaining to the West).

Dirius

Because leftist socio-economic policy is contradictory with the principles of libertarianism.

JUPITERASC

What The Media Isn't Telling You About Minneapolis Riots :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1nYrxGW2Q

A former US police officer has been charged with murder
following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd.
Video footage showed Derek Chauvin kneeling on the neck of Mr Floyd, 46
who died after pleading that he could not breathe in Minneapolis, Minesota.

"He is in custody and has been charged with murder
We have evidence, we have the citizen's camera's video
the horrible, horrific, terrible thing we have all seen over and over again
we have the officer's body-worn camera
we have statements from some witnesses."
Mr Freeman told a press briefing that the investigation
into Chauvin who, if convicted, faces up to 25 years in prison
was ongoing and that he anticipated charges against the other officers.
He said it was appropriate to charge "the most dangerous perpetrator" first.
The arrest comes after three days of protests
which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police station
that had been abandoned by officers.
Chauvin is one of four officers who were fired from the city's police department
following Mr Floyd's death on Monday.

He was detained on Friday
and later charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter,
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman confirmed.

david starling

What The Media Isn't Telling You About Minneapolis Riots :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1nYrxGW2Q

A former US police officer has been charged with murder
following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd.
Video footage showed Derek Chauvin kneeling on the neck of Mr Floyd, 46
who died after pleading that he could not breathe in Minneapolis, Minesota.

"He is in custody and has been charged with murder
We have evidence, we have the citizen's camera's video
the horrible, horrific, terrible thing we have all seen over and over again
we have the officer's body-worn camera
we have statements from some witnesses."
Mr Freeman told a press briefing that the investigation
into Chauvin who, if convicted, faces up to 25 years in prison
was ongoing and that he anticipated charges against the other officers.
He said it was appropriate to charge "the most dangerous perpetrator" first.
The arrest comes after three days of protests
which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police station
that had been abandoned by officers.
Chauvin is one of four officers who were fired from the city's police department
following Mr Floyd's death on Monday.

He was detained on Friday
and later charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter,
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman confirmed.

There's a photo purportedly showing the killer cop wearing a racist cap. Actually, someone who looks like him was wearing it, not the cop. Photoshopped memes are plentiful, and often difficult to detect as being fake, or deliberately mislabeled.

aquarius7000

Think you are right about this. Many older people still live in the era where they believed themselves to be more 'superior' than other races,
particularly the African-American and Asian races. They were both 'slaves' in the USA for decades.
I concur with that. Obviously today there is much more exposure to the rest of the world through many channels (travel made easy, tech and social media, etc).
History contributed a lot to it. I will, however, not reduce this to just the US. I was in Europe before I moved to the US, and Europe is just more refined about expressing racism.

Though I live in one of the seemingly most progressive areas of the country, seldom a day goes by that you don't see some aspect of racism in society. Given there is a good mix of different cultures here and the fact that English is the language of the US, most people from other countries are naturally more attracted to an English speaking country. Hence I have always found that racism seemed more glaringly prevalent in such countries (like the US, UK, Australia), but its undertones are clearly there in non-English speaking countries, too, like Germany, France.

david starling

I concur with that. Obviously today there is much more exposure to the rest of the world through many channels (travel made easy, tech and social media, etc).
History contributed a lot to it. I will, however, not reduce this to just the US. I was in Europe before I moved to the US, and Europe is just more refined about expressing racism.

Though I live in one of the seemingly most progressive areas of the country, seldom a day goes by that you don't see some aspect of racism in society. Given there is a good mix of different cultures here and the fact that English is the language of the US, most people from other countries are naturally more attracted to an English speaking country. Hence I have always found that racism seemed more glaringly prevalent in such countries (like the US, UK, Australia), but its undertones are clearly there in non-English speaking countries, too, like Germany, France.

It's about religion also. The Liar in Chief is still falsely claiming that there was media footage of thousands of people in New Jersey, in a "Muslim area", cheering and celebrating, on 9/11.

Last edited:

Dirius

That just shows what little perspective you have about the entire world.

Its normal for countries to have disdain against different cultures, particularly those which have conflicting customs and habits in comparison with one's own. However this is called xenophobia, and has nothing to do with racism or ethnicity.

david starling

Its normal for countries to have disdain against different cultures, particularly those which have conflicting customs and habits in comparison with one's own. However this is called xenophobia, and has nothing to do with racism or ethnicity.

They rounded up Japanese citizens, took their property, and put them in camps. The excuse was, they might be serving the Emperor of Japan, no evidence required.

They left the German citizens alone, even though they might have been serving the Fuhrer of the 3rd Reich.

Nothing to do with racism or ethnicity?

Dirius

They rounded up Japanese citizens, took their property, and put them in camps. The excuse was, they might be serving the Emperor of Japan, no evidence required.

They left the German citizens alone, even though they might have been serving the Fuhrer of the 3rd Reich.

Nothing to do with racism or ethnicity?

Racists actions from the democratic party holding power shouldn't be surprising. They are after all the party of racism. It is no surprise FDR abused power in a racist manner, given his own party sponsored the KKK and lynching of black citizens.

This was however a government's action done by politicians towards the people. Not done by normal citizens or the general public, whose opinion regarding people of japanese descent varied significantly. To my knowledge a lot of people in the U.S. were highly critical of japanese internment camps at the time ... particularly libertarians, such as Raymond C. Hoiles.

Guess this is a good example of why you don't want government having much power over its citizens - and of why leftists tend to sponsor most racists policies.

Last edited:

david starling

Racists actions from the democratic party holding power shouldn't be surprising. They are after all the party of racism. It is no surprise FDR abused power in a racist manner, given his own party sponsored the KKK and lynching of black citizens.

This was however a government's action done by politicians towards the people. Not done by normal citizens or the general public, whose opinion regarding people of japanese descent varied significantly. To my knowledge a lot of people in the U.S. were highly critical of japanese internment camps at the time ... particularly libertarians, such as Raymond C. Hoiles.

Guess this is a good example of why you don't want government having much power over its citizens - and of why leftists tend to sponsor most racists policies.

So, at least you agree there is discrimination based on race and ethnicity.

Btw, there were a lot of Republicans who firmly supported the Japanese internment, including then California Attorney General Earl Warren.

Dirius

So, at least you agree there is discrimination based on race and ethnicity.

Btw, there were a lot of Republicans who firmly supported the Japanese internment, including then California Attorney General Earl Warren.

Sure, I never said racism didn't exist. But most of the things which are usually classified as racist - are not. They are just xenophobic.

It wasn't republicans who instituted the interment camps. It was democrats. I'm sure a lot of democrats also opposed this particular decision - not all of them are bad.Still doensn't change the fact this is another racist policy from the democrats.

aquarius7000

I am sure you are the right one to judge me- who has lived in 3 continents, in 5 countries and speaks 6 languages :lol::lol:

How far does your radius extend. Well, going by your personally attacking and judge-mental post, consider my question rhetorical and stay on topic, and don't consider it your right to judge fellow members and attack them!!! Obviously your post is proof enough that you don't really have anything substantial to contribute on the subject matter itself, so you resort to personal attacks on members- not the first time from you.

My post was based on personal experiences that I I have every right to share. Foolish only to participate on such threads because apparently people do not want to hear the truth. :innocent:

Dirius

I am sure you are the right one to judge me- who has lived in 3 continents, in 5 countries and speaks 6 languages :lol::lol:

How far does your radius extend. Well, going by your personally attacking and judge-mental post, consider my question rhetorical and stay on topic, and don't consider it your right to judge fellow members and attack them!!! Obviously your post is proof enough that you don't really have anything substantial to contribute on the subject matter itself, so you resort to personal attacks on members- not the first time from you.

My post was based on personal experiences that I I have every right to share. Foolish only to participate on such threads because apparently people do not want to hear the truth. :innocent:
:lol:

I'm not judgemental, just trying to explain to you, that your view on racism is very narrow and that you are miss applying the term, probably given your limited experiences. There is a diference between xenophobia and racism.

The US/UK/Australia are not culturally different from each other, they are all anglican in origin. Considering you've never seem to have stepped outside the *white* world for an extended period of time, it is understandable you believe people in those countries to be "racist", rather than xenophobic.

If you ever step outside the comfortable 1st world, you'll see what real racism is about. And you'll notice it is actually more prevalent in other areas of the world.