How to graduate from Astrology 101

Claire19

I have conducted many classes over the years and so few students have got beyond the basics. It is a complex subject and takes many years to master. In this instant gratification society, that does not suit many. Many people on these forums and elsewhere are operating on half batteries, ie. with limited knowledge and experience.

There are many ways to approach the subject and we all have a slightly different spin on it all. However the basic principles remain the same and all efforts to tweak it, invent new theories and find all sorts of celestial bodies to include in a chart is counter productive in my opinion.

CapAquaPis

You can learn about astrology in the internet, given the right sources on the very subject. Wikipedia can be a good place to start (make sure what you read is backed by verifiable sources) and I came upon an article on the classical elements in the astrological zodiac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_the_classical_elements#Elements_of_the_zodiac

The article mentioned the triplicity rulerships of early Dorothean or classic astrology.

And the seasonal elements of each sign in both northern and southern hemispheres.

To be fully educated and knowledgeable on astrology is questionable: a number of astrologers disagree with each other and their practices can vary abit. You have the traditional vs. modern, sidereal vs. tropical, 13 sign vs. 12 sign and Aquarius-first vs. Aries-first versions in astrology I'm aware of...now tell me which one version is the most accurate or precise to use or follow? The point of learning astrology is to understand how it properly works and what to believe is the "correct" way in standards and practices. Following the instructions and rules is part of majoring in a study or profession, because you have to get something "right"-ly done.

I believe the largest dwarf planets Ceres and Eris can have co-rulerships with signs already under Venus and Mercury, and the Sun co-rules Cancer while the Moon co-rules Leo. My own belief is Eris affects Taurus and Gemini, while Ceres affects Virgo and Libra. I'm not exactly sure, but it is a break of traditional astrology and supporting my version is the continued use of dwarf planet Pluto to rule Scorpio and co-rule Aries. I have felt Ophiuchus, Orion, Cetus and even Sextans are so close to the ecliptic, they give off a parazodiacal bent on some people's birth charts and horoscopes. I may find some quirks and oddities to give out better results.

JUPITERASC

You can learn about astrology in the internet, given the right sources on the very subject. Wikipedia can be a good place to start (make sure what you read is backed by verifiable sources) and I came upon an article on the classical elements in the astrological zodiac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_the_classical_elements#Elements_of_the_zodiac

The article mentioned the triplicity rulerships of early Dorothean or classic astrology.

And the seasonal elements of each sign in both northern and southern hemispheres.

To be fully educated and knowledgeable on astrology is questionable: a number of astrologers disagree with each other and their practices can vary abit. You have the traditional vs. modern, sidereal vs. tropical, 13 sign vs. 12 sign and Aquarius-first vs. Aries-first versions in astrology I'm aware of...now tell me which one version is the most accurate or precise to use or follow? The point of learning astrology is to understand how it properly works and what to believe is the "correct" way in standards and practices. Following the instructions and rules is part of majoring in a study or profession, because you have to get something "right"-ly done.

I believe the largest dwarf planets Ceres and Eris can have co-rulerships with signs already under Venus and Mercury, and the Sun co-rules Cancer while the Moon co-rules Leo. My own belief is Eris affects Taurus and Gemini, while Ceres affects Virgo and Libra. I'm not exactly sure, but it is a break of traditional astrology and supporting my version is the continued use of dwarf planet Pluto to rule Scorpio and co-rule Aries. I have felt Ophiuchus, Orion, Cetus and even Sextans are so close to the ecliptic, they give off a parazodiacal bent on some people's birth charts and horoscopes. I may find some quirks and oddities to give out better results.
to quote dr. farr :smile:

...and some are mongrels,
who mix and match concepts
and methods from all approaches: like me :w00t:!
Dr. Benjamin Dykes is a leading medieval astrologer and translator who earned his PhD in philosophy from the University of Illinois.

He earned his medieval astrology qualification from Robert Zoller and taught philosophy courses at universities in Illinois and Minnesota.
He recently published Astrology of the World Vols. 1-2, Traditional Astrology for Today,
and The Book of the Nine Judges.
In 2015-16 he is publishing translations from Arabic and Greek.
In 2007–08 he translated Guido Bonatti’s Book of Astronomy
and the Works of Sahl & Masha’allah, on all branches of traditional astrology.
http://www.bendykes.com/

CapAquaPis

Some astrologers believe planets can rule elements and natures. For example, the Fire signs are under the essence of Mars, Sun and Jupiter; Earth under Venus, Ceres and Saturn; Air under Mercury, Pluto and Uranus; and Water under Neptune, Eris and the Moon. For Cardinal it is the Sun, Fixed or Kerubic under the Moon and Mutable under the True Node, as well possible planetary essences or influences. The primitive group (the first 4 signs) are the Sun, intermediate is the Moon and developed is the True Node. The north nodes rule the first half (Aries-Virgo) and the south nodes the second half (Libra-Pisces), and finally the possibility of seasons (groups of 3) are under influence of the planets. For Spring: Venus, Eris and the Moon; Summer: Mars, Pluto and the Sun; Autumn: Jupiter, Ceres and Mercury; and Winter: Saturn and Uranus, but could be ruled by Neptune. I can't find sign groupings strictly under the influences of dwarf planets Pluto, Eris and Sedna, and the asteroids Ceres, Juno, Pallas and Vesta.

Last edited:

Freya39

The question interestingly asks for advice on "How to graduate from Astrology 101"

For those who are interested in obtaining a certificate, even Diploma I will recommend Faculty of Astrological Studies. It has an international reputation for excellence in astrological education. They have online courses, too. Also, they have other astrological events, like Oxford Summer School.

Faculty Diploma holders include Liz Greene, Melanie Reinhart, Howard Sasportas, Julia Parker, Charles Harvey, who all went on to become world leaders in astrology. Current Patrons include Rob Hand and Baldur Ebertin; past Patrons include Dane Rudhyar and John Addey.

Additionally, I like Noel Tyle 's Books. You can visit his web and you will have free acces to many useful information, techniques.
www.noeltyl.com

I'm not an advanced reader, but want to share a skill honing technique that has been invaluable for me...

With a newspaper spread out in front of me, I read articles and with a pen, add the appropriate glyph (planet, sign, house) as it applies to various parts of astrology. For example, if I'm reading about a crime, I would pen in Mars, Pluto, Uranus, Scorpio symbols. If nothing else, it got me thinking in astrological terms. I did this years ago, and at first had a copy of the Rulership Book (Rex Bills) at my side. It really helped me to classify various aspects of the world before my eyes (and inside, too.)

Freya39

The question interestingly asks for advice on "How to graduate from Astrology 101"

I highly recommend the Faculty of Astrological Studies
You can study online, you can have a tutor, you can gain a Astrological Certificate or even Diploma.

I highly recommend the Faculty of Astrological Studies
You can study online , you can have a tutor , you can gain a Astrological Certificate or even Diploma.
http://www.astrology.org.uk/

Last edited:

Bigstar

Banned
These astrologers love for astrology has got them to the level that their at right now. Dedication, doing something that you love, something that you enjoy doing. If you don't have that firey passion for astrology then of course your most likely and I'm not saying everyone but won't increase in skill. Do you want to know why? It's because your going to see it as hard work and boring. Everything takes time and patience, you can't rush perfection.

aleth3ia

Banned
For the ways which I'm used to get involved into things, this forum has been incredibly helpful. There's been a lot of confrontation, heated exchanges too, mainly because, when I joined, I wanted to let everyone know of the astro-logical system that I apply, which is kinda challenging to accept, especially if you're devoted to the traditional astrology concepts.
So, thanks to the debates and the insults : ))))) I got to dig in all the stuff I was reading, and that's been priceless. And the more I was reading, the more I
knew I was on the right road... to question everything is the key.

Of course, you can do this only if you have a strong passion for the subject, astrology can be a time consuming and endless research, at its best.

The moment in my life that, I think, has improved my ability to see things inside an astrological frame, is when I started to get obsessed to the wheel mechanism.. I was there confronting my wheel and the ones of the people close to me, it all made sense from a data-listing point of view... but it was weird, I could sense there was more; an underlying pattern in that same wheel that elevated itself from all the subjective charts.. it was everywhere. Well, I happened to make a dream after that. It was like the wheel was opening up in front of my eyes... I don't know how to express this, I remember that after that dream I told everyone about it.. I was blown. And that's when I started to love astrology.

Intuition, yeah.

JUPITERASC

I've been reading for years
and still not knowledgeable enough.
Wish I had more time for study.
Thank you for this site.
There is a FREE online :smile:
ASTROLOGICAL STUDY LIBRARY
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html#main
there are five collections in this library.
  • The main collection contains links to books and magazines written in English that are directly related to 'traditional astrology' (from classical to modern times).
  • The extended collection refers to texts that are partly astrological or useful for historical research or philosophical principles.
  • The ancient collection contains links to ancient texts, fragments, or secondary sources that cover the ancient period.
  • The scholar's collection contains links to published theses, dissertations, and peer-reviewed papers.
  • The Latin & Greek collection contains links to important works in older languages

CapAquaPis

The parazodiac Corvus located South of Virgo (on the celestial equator) is said to be a symbol of birth and death: symbolism of life starts with the bird's egg to ends by the crows' retrieve of the dead. The Age of Virgo is the first astrological age and the last is Libra, right back to the 29th Virgo/1st Libra degree of the ecliptic, also the middle point of the astrological year from Aries to Pisces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvus_(constellation)

jac

More interesting reading for those interested 'graduates from Astrology 101' :smile:

The following are three QUOTES from Antoine Garth's study "The Five Hidden Pillars Of Fate, Fortune and Destiny In Astrology" viewable entirely for FREE at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6956746/Fi...y-in-Astrology

'…...Antoine Garth, astrologer presents: Study of fortune and destiny has been recovered from Vettius Valens ANTHOLOGY.
We consult the second century astrologer to return to an astrology not known since his time.
This will force three major traumas upon us as astrologers:

First, we are working within a deterministic system seeking to be privy to inscrutable workings of Fate.
Modern thinkers may protest such a domination of symbol over lifestyle, and may wish to reject this idea as insufficiently allowing us to properly assign "Free Will" to our ego nature.....'

'…..Ironically, this system is useful for highlighting how Ego can prevent a more fortunate fate from occurring.
i.e. The system of these five additional, calculated "lots" creates an astrological universe of its own revealing hidden aspect of the chart,
our own role in it, and indicators we must follow in order to fulfill our destiny.
Finding this spot can be the "Aha!" moment for clients as well.
But we must first subject our modern astrological stance to three traumas to fully comprehend this perspective.
Modern astrologers' problem with determinism revolves around adding man and his ability to choose
into the cosmic equation, which includes unforeseen events and their impact....'

'…..All of the twists and turns in the story of life are either predetermined or up for grabs.
I say fate and free-will can peacefully coexist,
but we must also equal in the Law of Karma.
Karma, the sanskrit word for action,
not only includes the grand and all encompassing
but also the mundane and every day.
By understanding primarily that the planets are the instruments of fate,
the astrologer can witness and make known each native's karmic "lot" or portion.
The Lot of Fortune is the first key to revealing the native's hidden universe of apportionment, or, more simply stated, the nativ
e's lot in life....'

I am a lousy astrologer who sometimes gets a glimpse. I'm pretty certain my limits are inherent in my chart- every time I've begun to make headway in astrology and various other pursuits (none of which I've surrendered, I might add), SOME thing interferes.

Nonetheless, I love these descriptions because I see the limits of self-determinism, i.e. "free will", and though my disdain for the pseudoscience of psychology infuriates many, I fully grasp it's core as a tool of political manipulation.

There seems to be a genuine lack of cognizance for the eons of experience amassed by ancient practitioners of astrology, and their fates to explore this art, regardless of terrifying opposition and threat of death.

From where I sit, a fine point substantiating these assertions comes from a description of a third party in a biography: "Look at him; do you really believe he can change what he is?"

This can also be reflected in the time-worn axiom; A man's got to know his limitations.

The belief that the right sort of clever trick, or 'psychological approach' supported by lip service and drugs to fool the gods and bypass one's fate, looks a fine way to incur an even more intense wrath of karma.

These truths are obvious to me, a fractured disciple without any mastery of this discipline I rely on to afford structure to chaos. How wonderful it must be to have the luxuries of several varieties of study at your disposal. I sincerely envy this.

Last edited:

FraterAC

For what it’s worth:
I started out with a book by one of the early 20th Century writers (who I still respect but won’t name) who said in reference to timing: Take the progressed planets (ie, secondary/major progressed), timed by the progressed Moon, and that will show you almost everything. Consider lunations (meaning new moons) as triggering events like the progressed Moon, and occasionally outer planet Transits through the houses. This author did not use the so-called minor aspects or progressions of the planets beyond Mars, and paid almost no attention to planet to planet aspects (beyond the inner planets), using mainly progressed Sun, Moon and angles.
I thought, hey, that sounds pretty straightforward, I can do that!
Needless to say, it didn’t take too long for me to be disappointed in my ability to predict things. While that pretty limited set of tools does work, it misses just about everything. Zeroing in on an event that occurred on a specific day was virtually impossible. But 50 years ago, there really was very little available other than reprints of the early 20th Century writers. One really had to scour the bookstores to find anything more (which I ended up spending a fair amount of time doing).

I had a huge “aha moment” reading a book by one of the English astrologers, with a technique to integrate Transits with progressions. I’ve long since abandoned his technique (nothing against him) but he opened me up to some of what I’d been missing.

Another moment came with the books of Elbert Benjamine (C. C. Zain/Church of Light), which I highly recommend, both for astrological theory (what/how it works) and technique. Of the moderns, Robert Hand.
A major fairly recent moment goes back to Ptolemy, with the idea of the Antiscia positions of the planets. I find those positions are as important as natal positions in receiving progressed or transiting aspects. To me, use of the Antiscia has been a major breakthrough, and I very highly recommend using it.

I think if one continues to work with astrology, one continues to have moments of inspiration and intuitive understanding. Maybe not every single day, but certainly on an ongoing basis. I’m still pretty much focused on the timing of events, and feel I’ve made definite progress and learned a lot along the way.

Maryb3

Mine comes and goes.
I’ve read a lot of astrology books.
Funny! I can remember ones chart , but not their birthdate.

Seems I go into these strange compulsions to study and write to people.
Do charts.

Then I will fade away for awhile.
I enjoy reading more experienced astrologers work.
My daughter loves when I do charts for her.
She wanted to learn, but I think it overwhelmed her.
I enjoy looking at charts of people I know.
Watching! Observing.
Not sure what I like best.
Seems Uranus is always in town when I m really studying.
How many charts! I have lost count.

Read something not long ago, you hang with the same moon phase or connect. Full moons with full moons. New with new.
An interesting tid bit.
I like synastry and composites.
Progressions.
Horary

Learning new astrology software.

Of course ! Looking at the sky.😀
Not make a lot of sense unless you did occasionally. Venus and Jupiter are coming together west. A brilliant light.

JUPITERASC

Mine comes and goes.
I’ve read a lot of astrology books.
Funny! I can remember ones chart , but not their birthdate.

Seems I go into these strange compulsions to study and write to people.
Do charts.

Then I will fade away for awhile.
I enjoy reading more experienced astrologers work.
My daughter loves when I do charts for her.
She wanted to learn, but I think it overwhelmed her.
I enjoy looking at charts of people I know.
Watching! Observing.
Not sure what I like best.
Seems Uranus is always in town when I m really studying.
How many charts! I have lost count.

Read something not long ago, you hang with the same moon phase or connect. Full moons with full moons. New with new.
An interesting tid bit.
I like synastry and composites.
Progressions.
Horary

Learning new astrology software.
Of course ! Looking at the sky.😀
Not make a lot of sense unless you did occasionally. Venus and Jupiter are coming together west. A brilliant light.