Comparison of fate vs free will in traditional astrology vs modern astrology

Opal

Premium Member
Re: the ability to "act" denies that something is "fated", to Jupiter

Since you have an ability to "act" (to use "free will") on something then it is NOT "fated" to occur. So Traditional astrology ALLOWS people to use their free will to decide when or not to act. Presumably, by acting at the "right" time then the events MEANT to happen after that action is taken will unfold (then, after that action is taken, everything "fated" to occur will happen).

But none of us choose to have accidents. They are fated. There is no free will in some things. They are separate entities. How we react is free will.....no?

Modern astrology goes FURTHER down the "free will path" than Traditional astrology. Modern astrology says, for the most part, WHATEVER time you are going through you can decide on MANY different choices. An exception on taking action is when Mercury is retrograde: then it's best to wait it out before acting. But OTHERWISE you can take action ANY time PROVIDED you understand the challenges of the moment. This is useful in real life because often you have NO control over when actions occur: home deals can get delayed, travel can get delayed, doctors can postpone their surgical times, and so on. But by understanding the challenges of the moment, you are prepared to TAKE the action that life forces you to take and take it in the way that BEST works for you.

This is the benefit of "choice-centered" astrology: rather than wait for the world to decide when it's the best time for YOU to do things, YOU do things and USE the energy of the world around you to make things turn out as best as they can. Modern astrologers often talk about "energy" because the idea is NOT to wait for the CHART to tell you when to do something (i.e., when the best "fated time" is) but instead to let the person USE the chart (it's "energy") to DO things for themselves in the way that is best for them.

The above paragraph......this would be what most people do, as they are unaware of the planets, stars and their effects on themselves........

Would you agree or disagree with the above statement?

About the differences,

Tim

It's making me type something here to submit reply......:annoyed:

wilsontc

Staff member
yes, to Opal

But none of us choose to have accidents. They are fated. There is no free will in some things. They are separate entities. How we react is free will...

The above paragraph......this would be what most people do, as they are unaware of the planets, stars and their effects on themselves........

Would you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Opal,

The first statement about "free will" was free will in the choice of CHOOSING a time to do something. As you say correctly, if we aren't AWARE of something we can't CHOOSE it. So we can't CHOOSE whether or not to have an accident, an accident happens because we were NOT aware of something. Yes, I would consider accidents "fated" because there is NO way to stop them, since stopping them would require us to be more aware of the world than we are. But what to do AFTER the accident is a CHOICE and there free will comes in.

Yes, most people are NOT aware of their patterns and tendencies so they tend to act in a "fated" way, going down the easiest paths, even if those paths don't help them grow and develop. That's where modern astrology comes in to help them grow and develop and make them aware of the "big picture".

Agreeing,

Tim

AtlanticPacific

Agree with what Opal just wrote. Events are fated, how we respond/react is our free will. I think the major game changers in our lives (significant others, jobs, children, illness etc.) are not something we can "control" or bring about with free will (i.e. you can give the best interview of your life but you may not get the job), but how we conduct ourselves in those circumstances is. And certainly you can go down the rabbit hole of making the argument that you use free will to position yourself - i.e. you apply for a certain job or you start online dating in order to meet someone, but I'm mostly focusing on outcomes here to simplify the point because even the timing of opportunities entering our lives I believe is really not in our control.

And so this brings me back to astrology, in reference to which I agree with what Greybeard wrote previously in this thread:
"If there exists ANY significant free will, astrology, no matter whether traditional or modern, cannot work; the exercise of free will would disrupt the flow of fate."

Does this make me a traditionalist? :smile:

Last edited:

lostinstars

Re: Modern astrology is accessible, to Jupiter

Jupiter,

That's exactly it. There is always Traditional astrology for those who have the money to hire an astrologer who understands all the complex Traditional rules. But for the rest of us, there is Modern astrology, a self-evident, easy to learn system that powerfully reveals the opportunities and pitfalls around us, so we can use our energies in the best possible ways. The reason that modern astrology is so prevalent it has become "entertainment" is because it is so simple and powerful. EVEN understanding JUST the sun-sign of someone puts you ahead in understanding them as opposed to someone who knows NO astrology about them. And IF someone makes a LITTLE bit of effort they can quickly be posting VERY helpful statements to total strangers based on nothing more than the astrological chart posted. In this way, modern astrology enables people to deeply help other strangers simply and powerfully.

About the simple powerfulness of it all,

Tim

Traditional astrologers are expensive not because it is complex but it is not accessible so easily, people have to struggle to get an understanding and become good at it to even consider doing readings. Modern astrologers just need to read few books and can start doing readings. I didn't see any proponent of modern astrologers here answering my question on the need for natal chart when the focus is on transformation of psyche, transformation of consciousness, learning from experiences etc.

Event Robert Hand gives importance to psychology and consciousness though he is a great historian and instrumental in explaining medieval concepts. It is not surprising considering he became famous for his early modern astrology books, I wonder if he started with traditional astrology instead of modern would he still stay the same things?

JUPITERASC

Agree with what Opal just wrote. Events are fated, how we respond/react is our free will. I think the major game changers in our lives (significant others, jobs, children, illness etc.) are not something we can "control" or bring about with free will (i.e. you can give the best interview of your life but you may not get the job), but how we conduct ourselves in those circumstances is. And certainly you can go down the rabbit hole of making the argument that you use free will to position yourself - i.e. you apply for a certain job or you start online dating in order to meet someone, but I'm mostly focusing on outcomes here to simplify the point because even the timing of opportunities entering our lives I believe is really not in our control.

And so this brings me back to astrology, in reference to which I agree with what Greybeard wrote previously in this thread:
"If there exists ANY significant free will, astrology, no matter whether traditional or modern, cannot work; the exercise of free will would disrupt the flow of fate."

Does this make me a traditionalist? :smile:
modernist astrologers frequently disagree
so
that's dependent on whether any modernist astrologers think "all is fated" :smile:

If there exists ANY significant free will, astrology, no matter whether traditional or modern, cannot work; the exercise of free will would disrupt the flow of fate.

We are obligated to make choices daily, and these choices have the appearance of being made freely. It is an illusion. If we look carefully at "prior causes", we find a string which disappears into unconscious regions: the Labyrinth of Minos.

What is not conscious appears as fate.

If we wish to be free of fate, we must become fully conscious. Narrow is the way and strait the gate, and few there be that find it.

So, most of us live lives bound by fate.
If my life is characterized by "free will", but that free will is Unconscious, as you say,

Well...that's quite a stretch.
The will is an instrument of consciousness. It comes of Desire, and shows inclination, volition, determination.... Will is absent in states of unconsciousness simply because the will is a conscious faculty.

I believe (a belief, not necessarily true) that I create my own destiny, or fate. But most of our life (I am speaking of most of us, not the fully conscious few) is controlled and directed by unconscious powers.

Thus, although we ourselves create our lives, we do so unconsciously and therefore beyond the purview of will.

Consider our limitations.
I am human. I am not a fig tree, a mosquito or frog. I can only perceive the world through human eyes.

I am white, I am male, I am old. To the best of my knowledge I did not choose these things. Each and all have much to say about my life, my destiny.

Why have I lived the past 77 years just as my horoscope suggests? Because I willed it so? All along the path of life, and frequently, we are offered opportunities to make choices that, if taken, would dramatically change our fate. But we do not take those opportunities. We make the choices that propel us along in our prescribed fate.

Why?

Please explain how astrology can work given effective free will. (It can't, but give it a go.)
I got married, was hospitalized, became a father and many other things years before astrology entered my life...all events marked by the astrological clock.
Anyway, you are welcome to your thoughts.
Why is it that among all things ever created we alone possess free will?

JUPITERASC

Re: Modern astrology is accessible, to Jupiter

Traditional astrologers are expensive not because it is complex
but it is not accessible so easily, people have to struggle to get an understanding
and become good at it to even consider doing readings.
Modern astrologers just need to read few books
and can start doing readings.
in fact on our forum, complete beginners may immediately interpret charts
without reading any books at all
and its legal
simply because western modernist astrology is considered "fairground entertainment"
so there is no necessity to have even read/studied longer than five minutes
the theory for our forum is
that beginners learn by receiving feedback on their chart interpretation
however
most "Read My Chart" posters just want a reading
and mostly do not provide feedback
which is understandable because all comments on our forum
are public and easily accessed on google et al
members often request private readings by pm
I've had multiple requests
but my response is
any comment I make is public - so then more people benefit
from the information offered
also if one spends all ones time answering pms with private readings
then there's no time to comment on the open forum

also there are "cookbook interpretations" from astrological software
which some print out and mail to clients
after buying the inexpensive right to do so from the software writer
these computer printouts provide identical "readings"
to anyone born the same day
and are another reason many consider "astrology" fairground entertainment

I didn't see any proponent of modern astrologers here answering my question on the need for natal chart when the focus is on transformation of psyche, transformation of consciousness, learning from experiences etc.

Even Robert Hand gives importance to psychology and consciousness though he is a great historian and instrumental in explaining medieval concepts. It is not surprising considering he became famous for his early modern astrology books, I wonder if he started with traditional astrology instead of modern would he still stay the same things?
During an episode of THE ASTROLOGY PODCAST
with Chris Brennan
Robert Hand said as follows:

'......I always have been interested in traditional astrology
but the material wasn’t available :smile:
Not even Lilly.
Then in the ‘80s Robert Zoller talked for a little group at early meetings
of New York chapter of NCGR.
I was struck that he would actually learn Latin
in order to read the stuff in the original.
I won’t say I ever really did conventional modern astrology.
I was more into cosmobiology Ebertin’s School
which interestingly enough is rather like traditional astrology...'

Robert Hand also says that “Planets In Transit”
was written as a text for a computer program in the 70's
which in somewhat modified form
is now available for Astrodienst aka astro.com.

'.....I have to say that some of the delineations have been modified beyond recognition but it is basically my work.....'Robert Hand

'....I also have to say that the psychological interpretation
was required partly by the fact these were computer program databases
and external events require taking off a lot of other things into consideration
besides the transit itself.
If you are just going to be talking about the transit
then you really are primarily stuck with the personality
or psychologically oriented interpretation....' Robert Hand
the podcast is at http://theastrologypodcast.com/2013/12/09/robert-hand-reconciling-modern-traditional-astrology/

wilsontc

Staff member
Traditional astrology and Modern astrology are both astrology, to Jupiter

Jupiter,

Modern astrology and Traditional astrology are both forms of astrology. Just as there are different kinds of cars you can buy, so there are different forms of astrology you can use. And just as cars all have in common that they have 4 wheels, a body, and a way to propel themselves, so astrologers all have in common that they use the planets or other objects in the sky and come to certain conclusions based on the positions of the stars. So Traditional astrology and Modern astrology have planets and planetary meanings in common because they are both forms of astrology. But Traditional astrology also has many terms that Modern astrology does not: terms, face, almuten, etc. And Modern astrology uses planets that Traditional astrology does not: Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. And some modern astrologers do things traditionalists don't do at all, such as using dials, ignoring the planetary houses, graphing the planets onto a map, etc. So they are both DIFFERENT types of astrology and neither one is "built on" the other.

This is because they have DIFFERENT purposes. The purpose of Traditional astrology is to understand what to do at the few times in your life when you get to choose what your fated path you will take. As you mentioned, election astrology is an example of that. Similarly, horary astrology. The purpose of Modern astrology is to give you the opportunity to make choices at ANY time in your life. Instead of waiting for the "right" moment, modern astrology gives you a look at what energies are going around you right now that you can USE to get to where you, deep down, really want to get to.

It's a difference between focusing on fate and focusing on choice.

About the different astrologies,

Tim

Opal

Premium Member
https://www.amazon.ca/Fated-Sky-Astrology-History/dp/0743268954

Somewhere in the above book The Fated Sky: A History of Astrology
there is a telling of an astrologer from the past that one day saw that the stars were affecting his natal chart in such a way, that he was worried that his life was in danger of being crushed. So he took it upon himself to use the free choice to stay at home and avoid the fates, and he invited his friends to join him. They ate and refreshed, and discussed things, the discussion went to something that he tried to retrieve a book from his shelf. It teetered and fell on him, crushing him to death.

You do have free will and the freedom of choices. You do have fate and it cannot be changed.

I would be considered a modernist, as I use the outermost planets and the stars.

JUPITERASC

Re: Traditional astrology and Modern astrology are both astrology, to Jupiter

Jupiter,

Modern astrology and Traditional astrology are both forms of astrology.
Traditional astrology is a form of astrology that pre-dates modernist astrology
both "traditional" and "modernist" are "forms of astrology" :smile:
"Traditional" is the original form of astrology
hence "traditional"

JUPITERASC

Just as there are different kinds of cars you can buy,
so there are different forms of astrology you can use.
And just as cars all have in common that they have 4 wheels, a body,
and a way to propel themselves,
so astrologers all have in common that they use the planets
or other objects in the sky and come to certain conclusions
based on the positions of the stars.
according to a normal dictionary definition
astrology = the ancient practice of studying the movements
and locations of celestial bodies
in the belief that they influence human behavior
astrologers base their opinions on charts illustrating celestial objects :smile:

JUPITERASC

So Traditional astrology and Modern astrology
have planets and planetary meanings in common
because they are both forms of astrology.
traditional and modernist astrology have planets and planetary meanings in common :smile:
because traditional astrology predates modernist astrology
and modernist astrology chose to keep SOME
but NOT ALL
of the original traditional astrology planetary meanings
modernist astrology is a form of astrology that is based
on the original meanings of traditional astrology

JUPITERASC

But Traditional astrology also has many terms
that Modern astrology does not:
terms, face, almuten, etc.
that's because traditional astrology predates modernist astrology
and some, but not all modernist astrologers
chose to discard the use of terms, faces, almutens and so on
HOWEVER
many modernist astrologers who use the outers use terms, faces, almutens :smile:

JUPITERASC

And some modern astrologers do things traditionalists don't do at all
such as using dials, ignoring the planetary houses
graphing the planets onto a map, etc.
So they are both DIFFERENT types of astrology
and neither one is "built on" the other.
traditional astrology historically predates modernist
and because many modernist astrologers do use traditional terminology :smile:
clearly, modernist is based on traditional

JUPITERASC

This is because they have DIFFERENT purposes.
The purpose of Traditional astrology is to understand what to do
at the few times in your life when you get to choose
what your fated path you will take.
Traditional astrology supports the client
with making informed choices :smile:
based on their lot in life
As you mentioned, election astrology is an example of that.
Similarly, horary astrology.
both modernist and traditional astrologers use electional/horary :smile:

JUPITERASC

The purpose of Modern astrology is
to give you the opportunity to make choices at ANY time in your life.
Instead of waiting for the "right" moment,
modern astrology gives you a look at what energies are going around you right now
that you can USE to get to where you, deep down, really want to get to.
tradtional astrology works WITH current celestial body placements
to indicate "optimum" moments to act
which are discussed with the client
traditional astrology finds "best option" moments
and has no "right moments" :smile:
and
the individual client has choice whether to act or not
It's a difference between focusing on fate
and focusing on choice.
About the different astrologies,
Tim
astrology, whether Chinese, Vedic, modernist, sidereal, tropical et al
focuses on choices a client has

wilsontc

Staff member
definition of astrology, to Jupiter

according to a normal dictionary definition
astrology = the ancient practice of studying the movements
and locations of celestial bodies
in the belief that they influence human behavior
astrologers base their opinions on charts illustrating celestial objects :smile:

Jupiter,

That's NOT the dictionary definition of astrology. Here is A dictionary definitiion of astrology:
the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world.

Notice there is NO mention of "ancient". As long as you are studying the (apparent) movement of the stars and planets and how they relate to people, you are doing astrology. So you START with the stars and planets in doing astrology (just like you START with having four wheels when describing a car). After THAT you can go pretty much wherever you want. Some astrologers today are creating their OWN dignities, falls, and exaltations; some are only using planetary angles and ignore signs, planets, and houses; and others are using maps. This is ENTIRELY different from the Traditional method of looking at stars and planets. The ONLY thing they have in common is...stars and planets. After that, the sky's the limit! ;)

Part of the reason that Traditional and Modern astrologers get in heated discussion is Traditionalists often refuse to recognize that, while Traditional and Modern astrology share ASTROLOGY, they are different TYPES of astrology used for different purposes. As has been stated, their different purposes have to do with the fate vs. free will balance.

About the two different types of astrology,

Tim

JUPITERASC

Re: definition of astrology, to Jupiter

Jupiter,
That's NOT the dictionary definition of astrology. Here is A dictionary definitiion of astrology:
Quote:
the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world.
Notice there is NO mention of "ancient".
There may be multiple dictionary definitions of astrology :smile:
consulting Wikipedia
we find referrences to ancient origins of astrology

'......Among Indo-European peoples
astrology has been dated to the 3rd millennium BC,
interpreting celestial cycles as signs of divine communications.
Until 17th century astrology was a scholarly tradition
and it helped drive the development of astronomy.
Astrology was commonly accepted in political and cultural circles
and some of its concepts were used in other traditional studies,
such as alchemy, meteorology and medicine.
By the end of the 17th century astrology lost its academic standing
and became regarded as a pseudoscience.....'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_astrology

JUPITERASC

Re: definition of astrology, to Jupiter

Jupiter,

Part of the reason that Traditional and Modern astrologers
get in heated discussion
is Traditionalists often refuse to recognize that,
while Traditional and Modern astrology share ASTROLOGY,
they are different TYPES of astrology
used for different purposes.
As has been stated, their different purposes
have to do with the fate vs. free will balance.
About the two different types of astrology,
Tim
both modernist and traditional astrologers acknowledge the existence of fate :smile:
as previously mentioned
traditional astrologers support clients to advise on
making choices based on the location of celestial bodies
apparently modernist astrologers do similarly

Opal

Premium Member
After reading this from both of you, I guess my Libra Sun and Mercury are tingling with the thought of why do we have to be labeled? I use all material that is available to me for my astrological studies.......my free will doesn’t want to be limited........gnosis is from anywhere you receive it from